Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card (6138 Views)

Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News / Wife Of The New Igp Has Passed Away / The New Igp, Md Abubakar's Past Sins: A Bad Replacement For Ringim! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:55am On Jan 21, 2012
AS the 24-hour ultimatum given to the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Hafiz Ringim expired on Thursday, the presidency is said to have commenced the search for a new IGP to replace Mr Ringim, who may be sacked any moment from now.

Nigerian Tribune investigation revealed that the presidency had concluded that whether the escaped suspect is re-arrested or not, the police boss would still be relieved of his appointment as the entire incident is reported to have cast a doubt on the sincerity of the police leadership.

It was learnt that the event of the last 24 hours since Wednesday has further worsened the case of the police, as he was said to have been sighted at the Office of the National Security Adviser on Wednesday night.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that while the police boss was sighted late in the night at the NSA’s office, his office at the Force Headquarters was reportedly cordoned off and searched, indicating the seriousness the presidency is attaching to the suspect’s escape.

Unconfirmed reports also had it that the Minister of Police Affairs, Navy Captain Caleb Olubolade (retd), had so far rebuffed all pleas from the police boss for his intervention to defuse the raging anger of the president.

Meanwhile, as the tense atmosphere within the police force persists, Nigerian Tribune can report that top officials of the service are already reaching out on the expected vacant position of the Inspector General of Police.

The presidency is reported to be considering two options, namely retiring all the deputy inspectors general of police while appointing the new helmsman from the ranks of the Assistant Inspectors General of Police.

The other option which sources said might be adopted in the interim is the appointment of one of the Deputy Inspectors General of Police in acting capacity while the search for the substantive appointee continues.

At the time of filing this report, two DIGs were said to have been shortlisted, namely DIGs Ivy Okoronkwo, and DIG John Udah as possible replacement. DIG Okoronkwo has eight months before retirement while Udah still has two more years.

One of the deputy inspectors general of police (name withheld) told the Nigerian Tribune that the lobby for appointment by some of his colleagues was premature, adding that such activity was only capable of denying them the opportunity to serve.

He said: “I am not lobbying. I am only doing my job. Whoever thinks running around is the best way to get the job, let him continue.”

Meanwhile, the Senate on Thursday ordered its Committee on Police Affairs to immediately commence investigation into the circumstances surrounding the escape of Kabiru Sokoto, who was reported to be the prime suspect of the 2011 Christmas Day bombing which occurred at St. Theresa Catholic Church, Madalla, Niger State.

This was sequel to a point of order raised by the chairman of the Senate Committee on Police Affairs, Senator Paulinus Igwe on the incident which occurred on Sunday when the suspect was being led to his Abaji residence, a satellite town of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for investigation and a search.

Senator Igwe, during the point of order, sought the permission of the Senate to investigate the circumstances surrounding the escape of Sokoto from the police custody.

Senate President, David Mark in his response, mandated the committee to investigate and submit its report within one week to the committee of the whole.

However, in their reactions, Senators Chris Anyanwu and Pius Ewherido expressed shock over the escape of the suspect, saying “it portends grave danger to the security of the nation,” blaming the police for treating the case with levity.

According to Anyanwu, “I am alarmed and threatened and I know that every Nigerian will be both alarmed and threatened, many people expected this to happen and it has happened and we cannot continue to exhibit this level of carelessness on this matter.

“What usually happens is that when you release people like that, they would go away and come back with greater fury. l am sure that they will come back again and through their activities, more people will die, for how long will Nigerians listen to stories from these security operatives, enough is enough. I understand that these people are part of the people that operated in Niger State.”

Senator Ewherido expressed dissatisfaction with the way and manner the police handled such a case, adding that those involved must face the wrath of the law.

He said: “I am very surprised considering the havoc the Boko Haram sect has caused us in this country, for the police to treat such case like that with levity, what occurs to me is that those policemen in charge of the case connived to free the suspect. How will they allow such an issue to happen, I think those involved should be brought to book.”

Meanwhile, authorities of the Nigeria Police have declared the suspected mastermind of the Madalla (Niger State) Christmas Day bombing of a church wanted.

A statement signed by the Force Public Relations Officer, Mr Olusola Amore, in Abuja, on Thursday, also disclosed that a ransom of N50 million had been placed on his head.

The statement said: “The Police High Command has declared Kabiru Umar (a.k.a. Kabiru Sokoto) wanted in connection with cases of bombing and terrorism across the northern states of the federation, especially the Christmas Day bombing of a church at Madalla, Niger State which resulted in the wanton destruction of life and property.

“Kabiru Umar, who hails from Biu, Borno State, was last known to be residing at Bulletin Quarters, Abaji, FCT. He is aged 28 years, fair in complexion and speaks English, Hausa and Arabic languages fluently.

“The Nigeria Police has, therefore, placed a monetary reward of N50 million for anyone who has useful information regarding his whereabouts or that will assist in arresting the suspect. Such a person should please report to the nearest police station nationwide,” the statement concluded.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/34651-escaped-boko-haram-suspect-presidency-shops-for-new-igp-2-digs-on-the-card-police-declare-suspect-wanted-place-n50m-on-him-senate-orders-probe-of-suspects-escape
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Beaf: 2:09am On Jan 21, 2012
It was learnt that the event of the last 24 hours since Wednesday has further worsened the case of the police, as he was said to have been sighted at the Office of the National Security Adviser on Wednesday night.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that [size=14pt]while the police boss was sighted late in the night at the NSA’s office, his office at the Force Headquarters was reportedly cordoned off and searched[/size], indicating the seriousness the presidency is attaching to the suspect’s escape.

Unconfirmed reports also had it that the Minister of Police Affairs, Navy Captain Caleb Olubolade (retd), had so far rebuffed all pleas from the police boss for his intervention to defuse the raging anger of the president.

shocked
It seems Ringims goose is cooked, his office searched!
Could the alleged targetting of the IG in the bombing of the police headquarters in Abuja have been a ruse?
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 21, 2012
what is he waiting for! Gej should FIRE not sack him! same with
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Wukari(m): 9:33am On Jan 21, 2012
It could be@beef u know!! naija things
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by yusufkura: 9:35am On Jan 21, 2012
DAT SHOULD BE DONE WITH DEGREE OF SENSITIVITY
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 21, 2012
yawnnnnnnn

more bs from the most useless presidency fledgling dictatorship in the world
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by jedisco(m): 9:44am On Jan 21, 2012
Left for me both the IG and all DIGs should be retired.
GEJ has to borrow the iron fist of some past leaders in this case
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 21, 2012
jedisco:

Left for me both the IG and all DIGs should be retired.
GEJ has to borrow the iron fist of some past leaders in this case

the iron fist is reserved for the citizens of lagos

for his army of incompetents it is national awards
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by executinal(m): 10:14am On Jan 21, 2012
Good, it should be ASAP
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by jiz: 10:49am On Jan 21, 2012
All PDP presidents are only powerful in d things of curruption but powerless in facing crime and doin d right thing at d right time.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by laidback(m): 10:53am On Jan 21, 2012
He should get on with this process sharp sharp. Fire the guy, CP Biu, and any others blame worthy!
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Finland(m): 11:00am On Jan 21, 2012
The protesters in Lagos, Boko Haram in Kano. where should the soldiers be? GEJ lacks common sense!!  angry  are police not capable enough to handle protest from a small group like SNG? If they are not then GEJ should have know we have no police force. Humpty Dumpty president.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by sovpounds(m): 11:06am On Jan 21, 2012
This is why national honours should not be given to serving government officials. Those giving national honours should wait until serving officials finish their tenure then the whole tenure can be accessed. When the Naija President sacks the IGP he should also withdraw the national honour given to him. He never deserved it in the first instance.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by Amjustme: 11:11am On Jan 21, 2012
Ringim cannot convince me dat his hands are clean, infact, the Kano attacks further raises my brow, He is a promoter of Boko Haram chikena! Lets just wait 2 see wot d committee would come up with(if his hands r clean, wot is he doing@night@ d NSA's office? Make him go jor! BTW, am beginning to wonder if we still need d Nigerian Police Force, it should just be taken out, more of a burden/problem/challenge for us in dis country.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by reindeer: 11:49am On Jan 21, 2012
sovpounds:

This is why national honours should not be given to serving government officials. Those giving national honours should wait until serving officials finish their tenure then the whole tenure can be accessed. When the Naija President sacks the IGP he should also withdraw the national honour given to him. He never deserved it in the first instance.

Only a thinking and smart president would do that!
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by KnowAll(m): 12:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
ALL Those lining up for the post of the IGP come from the same corrupt conveyer belt of dis-honesty, brigands and cut-throats, I am not enthusiastic of any of the next 10 or 20 in line, they are all irredeemable. Maybe it is high time for the post of IGP to be Civilianized, I wrote an article see below about electing our 'state police bosses', I think the IGP too should follow that trend in tandem.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-726053.0.html#msg8838521
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by member479760: 1:43pm On Jan 21, 2012
Kabiru Sokoto - They are the owner of the country, what ever they do nothing the goat-head can do against it.

Kabiru Sokoto is not Baba Suwe.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by dustydee: 2:01pm On Jan 21, 2012
Even if his sack is back dated, it is too late.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by monkeyleg: 6:29pm On Jan 21, 2012
Time for Nuhu Ribadu?
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by LEXYLOV: 8:09pm On Jan 21, 2012
I hope they will be competent and non BH associate again. Enough of clueless appointments time to get the real committed people to do the job.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by juman(m): 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
nigerias is a destroyed country, that is the problem.
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by NAIJAVOICE(m): 5:33am On Jan 23, 2012
Ringim likely to retain job till retirement; http://trends.com.ng/2012/01/ringim-retain-job-retirement-march/
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by EkoIle1: 5:49am On Jan 23, 2012
What difference does it make? The useless and clueless man go just hire another worthless and incompetent loser just like onovo and the corrupt clown before him
Re: Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card by lastpage: 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
KnowAll:
ALL Those lining up for the post of the IGP come from the same corrupt conveyer belt of dis-honesty, brigands and cut-throats, I am not enthusiastic of any of the next 10 or 20 in line, they are all irredeemable. Maybe it is high time for the post of IGP to be Civilianized, I wrote an article see below about electing our 'state police bosses', I think the IGP too should follow that trend in tandem.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-726053.0.html#msg8838521

God bless you for this comment!

Right from "bribing" to enter Police College, to all the shenanigans that go on from being a recruit to being an ASP, to AIG, its the same set of criminals that are promoted through the ranks!
The more criminally inclined you are, the faster your promotion/rise inthe Nigerian Police!!

So, they want to suddenly fish-out a human, disciplined and forthright person from within the Nigerian Police "System"?
Lets quit fooling ourselves.

Get someone from outside the "system" to clean out the mess and rot that is the nPF.

Lastpage!

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Queues Disappears In Abuja After Jonathan’s Media Chat / The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce / Seaport In The South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.