Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG (21522 Views)

George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities / Over 70% LASU Budget Spent On Diesel – VC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by orijo1980: 11:57am On Oct 08, 2020
tollyboy5:
grin No money spent on education is actually a waste. Plz government should help us give sadist prof sack letter .
actually we are just deceiving our by self our self
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by kilonshele101(m): 11:59am On Oct 08, 2020
jolyment:

Your HOD may have other sources of income.

You must be a lecturer!

Yes, he might have other sources of income like selling to us expensive multiple handouts, selling expensive research data gathering tools for we that are research minded making us look for cheap alternative that adversely affect our data and make us loss interest, Collecting a large share from our departmental annual students contribution, Collecting money from those students that failed in his course.

I so much respect teachers at all level of education, but they are one of the reason why our schools are not performing like that other countries, instead of pressuring the government on our behalf, they are busy fighting for their own salary.

They are actually free to fight for their rights but scoring points with our own future in the process is nothing but wrong. We all know the importance of age in our labour market but those teaching us seems not to care.

What pains me most is that they claim to be fighting for the education sector but what concerns them the most is their salary , is their salary this only underfund item in the education sector? But who are we (student) to talk, we are nothing to them but a tool to checkmate the government

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 08, 2020
jolyment:

Okay

Leave them alone, they do not understand that a Nigerian lecturer in a public university has excess workload. Imagine marking 1,000 scripts plus research and your family yet get paid so little. If you have at least a B.Sc and your project is capital intensive, you will understand research is not child's play. An average nigerian lecturer with at least a PhD will get employment overseas and make more money than your rathole offers. Just as doctors are leaving the country cos your govt doesn't value them, a time will come lecturers will leave your universities to you. You can employ unqualified personnel then as you wish. IF YOU WAnT A GOOD EDUCATIOn SYSTEM, InVEST In IT AnD SEE THE DIFFEREnCE.

2 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by chiol: 12:02pm On Oct 08, 2020
I think the bulk of the budget should go to primary and secondary education and they should be free and compulsory. Tertiary education should be privatized.

After your qualitative secondary education, if you can afford tertiary education then you attend. If not, the qualitative secondary education can still take you to places. Aside the professional courses, the university education these days are over rated.

Professors everywhere with little or no contribution to the solution of our problems and they keep wasting the time of our youths in the name of strikes. No new inventions. Recycling handouts year in year out and be demanding for the whole resources for themselves alone.

Is there any sector that is not underfunded in this country? Nigerian primary school teachers are also among the least paid and they contribute more than ASUU in the society. Yet they are more dedicated

3 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by adewad13(m): 12:09pm On Oct 08, 2020
LaIabobo:
Budget more for education. Because our profs are still much underpaid.

Underpaid!!!
Mention just few of their breakthrough towards the development of this country.

3 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2020
9jatriot:
When I am not drunk? The first thing they will do with the money is to go and buy a car.
If they were even doing low budget research, they could have made a case for more money. The small one they are being given are not producing results

Research is simply trial and error. Just like having an hypothesis sometimes it yields positive results, othertimes it doesn't. All the inventions and research on covid elsewhere is being funded ad not all is yielding results. That's why different measures have been taken to defeat covid yet no cure just management . Some of this projects are capital intensive. There should be a relevant body in charge of ensuring the money is used for research . Some spend it on luxuries you're right.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by chiol: 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2020
Thiwalade:

Leave them alone, they do not understand that a Nigerian lecturer in a public university has excess workload. Imagine marking 1,000 scripts plus research and your family yet get paid so little. If you have at least a B.Sc and your project is capital intensive, you will understand research is not child's play. An average nigerian lecturer with at least a PhD will get employment overseas and make more money than your rathole offers. Just as doctors are leaving the country cos your govt doesn't value them, a time will come lecturers will leave your universities to you. You can employ unqualified personnel then as you wish. IF YOU WAnT A GOOD EDUCATIOn SYSTEM, InVEST In IT AnD SEE THE DIFFEREnCE.

What is the impact of your so called research? With the number of professors here we still import ordinary tooth pick, yet they corner billions as research grants.

They spend the grants on houses and cars, at the end they will coauthor journals and copy other people's research works.

With the money FG has spent on research grants and foreign scholarships in this country, we suppose to be self sufficient in many things by now.

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by adewad13(m): 12:14pm On Oct 08, 2020
DennisEche:
PROFESSORS IN TITLE. PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN USING GENERATION TO GENERATION TOPICS TO TEACH STUDENTS

in support of your submission.... i have seen a lecturer using his undergradute and masters note to teach in class. white papers have all turned to brown.

A prof telling his students that its la cram la pour.....if you fail to do that F9 awaits

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by nnamdi640: 12:15pm On Oct 08, 2020
Show us the amount spent on senators and honourables let us compare.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by 9jatriot(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2020
Exactly, it involves analyzing data. Can you say those ASUU guys de do research?
It is even the lab technologist that even do small small research, not those bloated ego lecturers that see themselves as the end of the world.

If you do better research, private institutions, organisations and even international bodies will sponsor you.
Is it those low quality papers they write and send to low budget journals that can meet any research solutions?
Thiwalade:

Research is simply trial and error. Just like having an hypothesis sometimes it yields positive results, othertimes it doesn't. All the inventions and research on covid elsewhere is being funded ad not all is yielding results. That's why different measures have been taken to defeat covid yet no cure just management . Some of this projects are capital intensive. There should be a relevant body in charge of ensuring the money is used for research . Some spend it on luxuries you're right.

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by adewad13(m): 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
Can someone tell us some profs that are working in manufacturing companies in Nigeria...
if not just to sit at office give their task to postgradute students under them to carried out.

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by 9jatriot(m): 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
God bless you sir/ ma.
chiol:
I think the bulk of the budget should go to primary and secondary education and they should be free and compulsory. Tertiary education should be privatized.

After your qualitative secondary education, if you can afford tertiary education then you attend. If not, the qualitative secondary education can still take you to places. Aside the professional courses, the university education these days are over rated.

Professors everywhere with little or no contribution to the solution to our problems and they keep wasting the time of our youths in the name of strikes. No new inventions. Recyclable handouts year in year out and be demanders for the whole resources for the M's alone.

Is there any sector that is not underfunded in this country? Nigerian primary school teachers are also among the least paid and they contribute more than ASUU in the society. Yet they are more dedicated

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 08, 2020
9jatriot:
So the labs they have cannot be used to even do anything, so what are they teaching and collecting the allowances you were talking about for then?
Let's assume that Coro is above their head, what of engineering, software and ICT development? What of agriculture (improving yield per plot?

its not so easy to find a ground breaking discovery. You're talking like this cos your background isn't research. Coro is not above their heads . it's mostly the environment and facilities there are brilliant profs here. If it's that easy why don't we have cure for coro yet. HIV nko?
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by 9jatriot(m): 12:22pm On Oct 08, 2020
Okay, let's leave Coro.. What of agriculture that IITA does, agric non too hard na abi?
Thiwalade:

its not so easy to find a ground breaking discovery. You're talking like this cos your background isn't research. Coro is not above their heads . it's mostly the environment and facilities there are brilliant profs here. If it's that easy why don't we have cure for coro yet. HIV nko?

2 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by jolyment: 12:23pm On Oct 08, 2020
kilonshele101:

You must be a lecturer!

Yes, he might have other sources of income like selling to us expensive multiple handouts, selling expensive research data gathering tools for we that are research minded making us look for cheap alternative that adversely affect our data and make us loss interest, Collecting a large share from our departmental annual students contribution, Collecting money from those students that failed in his course.

I so much respect teachers at all level of education, but they are one of the reason why our schools are not performing like that other countries, instead of pressuring the government on our behalf, they are busy fighting for their own salary.

They are actually free to fight for their rights but scoring points with our own future in the process is nothing but wrong. We all know the importance of age in our labour market but those teaching us seems not to care.

What pains me most is that they claim to be fighting for the education sector but what concerns them the most is their salary , is their salary this only underfund item in the education sector? But who are we (student) to talk, we are nothing to them but a tool to checkmate the government

Okay
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Educonomist: 12:29pm On Oct 08, 2020
Sometimes I wondered how I found myself in this country. A country that can't give much importance to some basic things( Education, Health, Security n other basic amenities) that affect the least citizens, ohh| why would they feel what d pple go thru, when thier children are schooling in abroad, getting better health care in abroad, surround themselves with heavily armed security men. Haa Nigeria My Country.

Even ASUU doesn't care about the students, their major reason for always going on strike has been based on salaries not lookin at d interest of d students.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
chiol:

What is the impact of your so called research? With the number of professors here we still import ordinary tooth pick, yet they corner billions as research grants.

They spend the grants on houses and cars, at the end they will coauthor journals and copy other people's research works.

With the money FG has spent on research grants and foreign scholarships in this country, we suppose to be self sufficient in many things by now.

Young lady calm down,

Personally, i've studied Nigeria enough to realise we don't love what we make here . There is no connection between the industry and research institutes, in many developed countries, U.S.A. for example there is this connection i'm talking about. There are excellent research in this country which if implemented will make the country far better but we don't trust ourselves until a white man comes to sell the same for us. example is innosun, and other locally made things. Do you know the formula for zero coke was a research done in Nigeria but the man sold the idea to them in the 80s?
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by symbianDON(m): 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2020
Our government is wicked. Pure and simple. How can anyone make any meaningful invention, discoveries or innovation in these laughable contraptions we call tertiary institutions? Government keeps funding education by mouth. Look at our schools from primary to tertiary; very very ridiculous! I really pity Nigerian students.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 08, 2020
9jatriot:
Okay, let's leave Coro.. What of agriculture that IITA does, agric non too hard na abi?

No course is easy my brother. Try to reason with them, IITA conduct research but it's trial and error until you have a major break through.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 08, 2020
I implore you to stop cursing, shaming and learn to appreciate the lecturers that deserve it. There are bad eggs but that doesn't mean they don't know anything. This education system is what has produced a noble laureate and other great people . It may not be the best but it has been a stepping stone and a foundation upon which great Nigerian scholars has built their fortress. Achebe studied here same with Soyinka, don't forget these household names when critizing thank you.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by edoairways: 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
DennisEche:

WHAT HAPPENS TO OTHERS AND YOU WANT NIGERIA TO BE GREAT IN RESEARCH AND SCIENTIFIC BREAK THROUGH
The government is not sincere. South Africa government takes their education serious compare to ours
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by chiol: 1:04pm On Oct 08, 2020
Thiwalade:

Young lady calm down,

Personally, i've studied Nigeria enough to realise we don't love what we make here . There is no connection between the industry and research institutes, in many developed countries, U.S.A. for example there is this connection i'm talking about. There are excellent research in this country which if implemented will make the country far better but we don't trust ourselves until a white man comes to sell the same for us. example is innosun, and other locally made things. Do you know the formula for zero coke was a research done in Nigeria but the man sold the idea to them in the 80s?

I am a man. Not necessarily that we do not like what we produce but we always produce inferior things. We like cutting corners.

I heard that Nigerian cables are more preferred due to it's high quality. If you invent a quality thing that makes economic sense and ready to solve societal problems, even private companies - local and international will be running after you. Sponsorship will not be your problem.

Our people keep demanding for research grants as if they want to invent heaven on earth, at the end the money will be used for luxury. The old Scientists we know today, who gave them research grants? I know many lecturers that used their research grants to build houses. They collected millions from the FG for research and used the money to build their personal houses.

3 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 08, 2020
chiol:

I am a man. Not necessarily that we do not like what we produce but we always produce inferior things. We like cutting corners.

I heard that Nigerian cables are more preferred due to it's high quality. If you invent a quality thing that makes economic sense and ready to solve societal problems, even private companies - local and international will be running after you. Sponsorship will not be your problem.

Our people keep demanding for research grants as if they want to invent heaven on earth, at the end the money will be used for luxury. The old Scientists we know today, who gave them research grants? I know many lecturers that used their research grants to build houses. They collected millions from the FG for research and used the money to build their personal houses.

This is the beginning of the problem. Finished and well refined goods produced anywhere in the world took years of hardwork and fine tuning. We may have substandard things now but if we aim to improve, we will definitely get better. Our people have a penchant for things made overseas when we have something of equal value here. Check out our rice when we first started producing it locally, check it out now though its expensive but there's less stones now. If we must achieve the desired quality, we must be patient and willing to patronise our own people. Computer village should have a great manufacturing industry now but our government will invest in foreign things. Innosun motors and other locally made things should be expanded and made attractive to the populace. Nobody will value you when you don't put value on yourself.

Lecturers who corner grants get away with it because there's no enforcement and follow up. Until every naira becomes accountable, we may keep facing the same issues.

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by 9jatriot(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
I mean the lab need not whether the course is easy, since someone mentioned molecular lab not being available, what excuse for agric since land de available and sister organisations like IITA, CRIN de available.

Lecturers non sabi do this same try and error.
Thiwalade:

No course is easy my brother. Try to reason with them, IITA conduct research but it's trial and error until you have a major break through.

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by Francieuche: 1:36pm On Oct 08, 2020
DennisEche:
PROFESSORS IN TITLE. PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN USING GENERATION TO GENERATION TOPICS TO TEACH STUDENTS
A bottle of tombo for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by King44(m): 2:12pm On Oct 08, 2020
Mowsid:
Enough of this ASUU and FG failed agreement and deliberation, both are to be blame, everybody for their own selfish interest. Meanwhile FG advised ASUU to consider farming grin
Both bodies are destroying this country's education.

In as much as ASUU is useless like fed gvt. I don't want to believe that there is no money to pay them.

People who could budget an equivalent amount of money for education and renovation of aso rock

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by saraki2019(m): 2:15pm On Oct 08, 2020
Tozinetita:

How is China copying the West? China practices communism while they practice democracy.

I agree with you that innovation was more prevalent in the 19th and 20th century but what kind of innovation will bring about immortality?
I disagree with you, so much inventions today but you can't see. Because in Nigeria we still very much backward.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by SeniorGee(m): 2:16pm On Oct 08, 2020
Not up to 2% of those profs and lecturers are worth their onions. Submitting students work to progress, very lazy lousy brains kawai...

2 Likes

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by saraki2019(m): 2:16pm On Oct 08, 2020
Queenlovely:
it seems the more money we pump into education, the lesser the outcome.

we don't see good result after all these spending, it's like that all over the world, technology innovation has stalled, it is globalization that is at full throttle.

globalization is not technology, globalization is just copying what worked somewhere,

example is how china is copying the west, it's globalization

billion are pumped into research worldwide yet the result is absent. if there was technological innovation, by now stem cell transplant would be realistic, hiv can be easily cured, immortality would be realistic by now.

why have we stopped innovating
we used to see more innovation in the 1940 now we are halted because of the big research institute, that are engaged in fraudulent research.
I disagree with you, so much inventions today but you can't see. Because in Nigeria we still very much backward.
Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by kolmart: 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2020
If I may ask what are the functions of many professors in our universities? At least 98%of them will abandoned their work and doing private research that has no any impact on Nigerians but their pockets still they will still be collecting their salary and always crying for more money. Is this how they work when the travel abroad to work. They are all bunch of lazy lecturers that are closing the door of success of our children we need to think twice. Once the FG settled their Earned allowances the rest is history they will never look back to agitate for the rehabilitation of the universities any longer they only fighting for their pocket not for masses at all they send their own children to abroad once they have enriched themselves with released fund by FG for sound and quality education and shutting the universities gate to masses children still it is the masses that will be crying on social media that the government are cheating ASUU not know that the lecturers are the number one enemies of our own children. Is high time we fight the lazy people calling ASUU for destroying the future of our children to enrich their own pocket

1 Like

Re: Bulk Of Education Budget Spent On Public Universities’ 10,500 Professors – FG by 2odd(m): 2:55pm On Oct 08, 2020
9jatriot:
Government should outsource lecturing and gradually phase out these selfish ASU(N) members, the same way banks and other serious companies now use contract staff to ensure efficiency.

When you make use of contract staff, you only business as employer is the company you gave the contract to, if that company is unable to manage her staff and they disrupt the academic calendar of the school allocated to them, you put up an advert for new contractors. Nonsense.

Every company has its own system of paying her staff, some companies will insist that you must have an account in a particular bank if you intend to receive your salary, yet you have ASUU telling government they do not want to receive their salary from IPPIS.

lol
lemme give you a typical example,
when the govt paid the first two months it was owning lecturers (mar- April), a lecturer wasn't paid , didn't know why he wasn't paid ,

his complaint couldn't be rectified in his school, had to refer him to Abuja where IPPIS is being handled from.
took another month before the complaint was attended to, mind you another two months salary was paid to his colleagues.

this issue won't take days when and if handled by the individual schools bursary unit !

and there's the issue of taxation ,
most lecturer argued that the taxes deducted from their salary was much more than it ought to be...

you wanna make a complaint again ? You go reach Abuja...

on the issue of contract staffing
tell me which country is using contract staffs in their tertiary education sector

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 Universities In Nigeria That Offers Mass Communications / Olajide Rilwan Lekan Graduates From Russian Medical School With As / Udom Celebrates Best Nigerian Student In Imperial College, London (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.