Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,622 members, 7,809,292 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1379223 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 10:13pm On Jan 06, 2012
Pls I need your help here o, remember I mentioned I went to a health center affiliated with Harris County Hospital District all in search of medical attention,as usual my first appointment which required an OB screening as they said was free when I booked d appointment, behold,this morning I got a bill of 2,600dollars (two thousand six hundred dollars for d lab tests I did which falls under OBscreening, I only went to d health center once and never went cos I didn't like d fact dat they couldn't give me an estimate of cost of delivery,they said they normally send a bill afterwards so I didn't continue with them, I got another hospital and a doctor which gave me a range that was within my budget. Now I even called d billing dept hoping d bill was an error,and they r telling me they can give me a discount of 30percent or I shd apply for chips or aid or whatever, I called all d numbers dat I used to get d appointment,they still confirmed to me dat OBscreening is free yet the billing dept of d Harris County Hospital District is stating dat I either apply for aid to take care of d bill or I take d discount, I feel I have been deceived by these americans,my host is so furious,she is thinking we should get a lawyer, I didn't want any aid in d first place dat was y I kept asking to make sure I get it right d first time,right now am so confused, pls help
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by moi2(f): 7:53pm On Jan 07, 2012
@halle2
My dear ignore them and look for another hospital, have u tried UTMB? (University of Texas Medical Branch) clinics you can search if they have a clinic around where you are at. They have this regional maternal and child health programme thingy. Google it up and call them. My 2cents.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 8:10pm On Jan 07, 2012
At dis point now after making several calls I was able to speak wt d business manager and I told him dat I have been deceived and after several minutes he called back and said I shd pay 870dollars within seven days, y am very concerned abt dis is because I do not want any debt hanging on my neck, I came here wt d intention of paying, I don't even want aid but I wanna make sure I pay wt what is within my budget dats y before anything is done I always wanna clarify on d costs involved, I can't ignore them at this point cos it could list me as a debtor, I dnt even have d extra 870dollars to pay right now sef, am so pissed

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Kalango: 9:45pm On Jan 20, 2012
@Halle 2. You could discuss a one year payment plan with them. That way you clear the debt; cos if not it will be on your name and during your next visa interview, it can be picked and used against you. Cheers and sorry love, that's the way the US system works.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2012
Thanks Kalango,I finally paid d 870usd cos they said d only condition I could get d payment plan is if I pay d total of 2,600usd, I just couldn't bear d thot of leaving d US wt some bill dangling on my neck, thanks y'all
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Kalango: 11:04pm On Jan 20, 2012
@halle2, sorry dear. remember when i had to pay $2500 in 24hours or would have to pay $4000 for epidural, all because i did not pay before delivery and requested for it during labour. It's well, God dey!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 1:35am On Jan 21, 2012
Aww!dis americans could b cruel esp to those of us dat r geniune, I really don't blame those dat beat d system and get these things for free, look at these mexicans for example,they know all d ways to get freebies in dis country, it is well sha
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by imperiouxx(m): 6:09am On Feb 03, 2012
halle2:

Aww!dis americans could b cruel esp to those of us dat r geniune, I really don't blame those dat beat d system and get these things for free, look at these mexicans for example,they know all d ways to get freebies in dis country, it is well sha

Do you know Mexico and parts of US are from the same ancestral line? US got New Mexico and Texas from Mexico City in those days. Go to TX, NM or AZ, you see things written in Spanish after English, then who you be there competing with the Mexicans?  grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by halle2: 11:49am On Feb 03, 2012
Imperiouxx, I don't remember competing wt d mexicans,am just bitter about d system dat milks responsible ppl of their hard earned money,
Ur right abt d history of mexicans and their ties wt US,however,at d moment the ones wtout paper here r foreigners and r treated just like every other foreigner, y do u think they still hv to jump fence to enter US?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by imperiouxx(m): 4:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
halle2:

Imperiouxx, I don't remember competing wt d mexicans,am just bitter about d system dat milks responsible ppl of their hard earned money,
Ur right abt d history of mexicans and their ties wt US,however,at d moment the ones wtout paper here r foreigners and r treated just like every other foreigner, y do u think they still hv to jump fence to enter US?

As usual, buoyant economy factor and everyone wants to migrate at once.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ghm: 7:48am On Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for your kindness and generousity with information as regards Immigration to US.

My wife and I applied for US Visa but were denied. We thought we are very qualified and have sufficient tie back in Nigeria. I am working in an Oil Company and my wife is also a practicing Doctor. We have a fat account and we showed the Consulate officer the account statements on his request. My wife confirmed she is pregnant but she wasnt planning to give birth in the US. I guess the officer was not convinced on some things which we tried to explain but he still declined.

1. He wasn't convinced of my salary. He picked a line in my bank statement that was much lower than my salary and concluded that was my income, I showed him my company payslips and letter of introduction from the company that has my annual salary , he still wasn't satisfied.

2. My wife confirmed she is pregnant but she wasn't planning to give birth in the US but he wasn't convinced about this despite all explanations. He was thinking that she want to give birth in the US and was lying about it.

With these 2 issues I guess he denied us. Here are my quaestions? and I desire an honest opinion from you as usual.

1. Why did he denied us and how can we know the exact reason for the denial?
2. We were thinking he should just deny my wife and give me. Why did he deny the 2 of us?
3. We were tempted to re-apply immediately (at least one or two of us). What is your view about this? or should we wait until after our baby arrived before we re-apply?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Copiousworld: 8:36am On Mar 24, 2012
@ghm i am sorry to hear about your visa denial, its hard to predict the response of the US Consulate during interviews. My wife gave birth in the US couple of months ago, she was 5months gone before she went for interview. Cover-up clothes didn't show her status and she responded negatively when asked if she was heavy. Similar question was asked at the landing airport in US. The US understand very well that many foreigners fly into the country to give birth so they do all they can to curtail this act. I guess your wife preg' may have lead to the denial but on the contrary you never can tell what's in the mind of the interviewer.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by OpsE1: 4:28pm On Mar 26, 2012
I was at US Embassy last Thursday with my wife (planning for US delivery, her EDD is July 20th)and were granted visa, though duration will only be confirmed tomorrow when we pick up our passports. We were asked about our kids ages and schools and if we're expecting any baby next year, we answered No, since we are actually expecting this year and not next year, however we did not give further detail, my concern is I hope this will not be mis-interpreted to mean lie later in the future. Can someone with similar experience help.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by staggie: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2012
Hello Pepes,

just joined the forum. Please I need help in locating a hospital/ gynea/ obs doctor in the San Jose area in California as I wish to have my baby there in a few months and so far have had no luck in my research. Would greatly appreciate your help. Tanx
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 7:50am On Apr 08, 2012
ghm: Thanks for your kindness and generousity with information as regards Immigration to US.

My wife and I applied for US Visa but were denied. We thought we are very qualified and have sufficient tie back in Nigeria. I am working in an Oil Company and my wife is also a practicing Doctor. We have a fat account and we showed the Consulate officer the account statements on his request. My wife confirmed she is pregnant but she wasnt planning to give birth in the US. I guess the officer was not convinced on some things which we tried to explain but he still declined.

1. He wasn't convinced of my salary. He picked a line in my bank statement that was much lower than my salary and concluded that was my income, I showed him my company payslips and letter of introduction from the company that has my annual salary , he still wasn't satisfied.

2. My wife confirmed she is pregnant but she wasn't planning to give birth in the US but he wasn't convinced about this despite all explanations. He was thinking that she want to give birth in the US and was lying about it.

With these 2 issues I guess he denied us. Here are my quaestions? and I desire an honest opinion from you as usual.

1. Why did he denied us and how can we know the exact reason for the denial?
2. We were thinking he should just deny my wife and give me. Why did he deny the 2 of us?
3. We were tempted to re-apply immediately (at least one or two of us). What is your view about this? or should we wait until after our baby arrived before we re-apply?

Sorry to hear about this. They obviously made the decision to refuse based on your wife's pregnancy. In some cases they would refuse and bluntly tell you to reapply after the delivery. This has happened a few times that I know of. This then means that was the main reason for the refusal. On the issue of granting yours and refusing your spouse, that also is at the discretion of the Visa officer. Some will do that, others will simply refuse both. It will not do you any good reapplying immediately as this may be misconstrued to mean desperation.

Why don't you apply for a Canadian visa? It seems to me you and your wife easily qualify for the visa and Canada does not wish to interview anybody. The last time I checked you only need to DHL your documents to them and in a fortnight the visa is sent back to you through DHL as well. I am also aware your child will get Canadian citizenship once born there. That passport is as good, if not better, than a US passport. Also, Canadian birth cost is in the region of $4,000 whereas you can pay as much as $15,000 here.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dancewith: 7:58am On Apr 08, 2012
Ops E: I was at US Embassy last Thursday with my wife (planning for US delivery, her EDD is July 20th)and were granted visa, though duration will only be confirmed tomorrow when we pick up our passports. We were asked about our kids ages and schools and if we're expecting any baby next year, we answered No, since we are actually expecting this year and not next year, however we did not give further detail, my concern is I hope this will not be mis-interpreted to mean lie later in the future. Can someone with similar experience help.

This is quite tricky. My cousin had a baby here and during renewal the visa officer started calculating the child's birth date with the time they were issued the visa. It so happened that through the calculation, the officer realized that wife was pregnant at the time they came for the interview. Needless to say the outcome. I will only advice you have your bills paid and pray the visa officer is not an overzealous one. An immigration lawyer told me the rule has nothing against anyone having a baby in the US provided the bills were paid. However the VO can use deception to refuse a renewal if they realize you lied about your pregnancy during the visa interview. That is why they ask if you are pregnant or expecting a baby.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by OpsE1: 4:26pm On Apr 11, 2012
dancewith:

This is quite tricky. My cousin had a baby here and during renewal the visa officer started calculating the child's birth date with the time they were issued the visa. It so happened that through the calculation, the officer realized that wife was pregnant at the time they came for the interview. Needless to say the outcome. I will only advice you have your bills paid and pray the visa officer is not an overzealous one. An immigration lawyer told me the rule has nothing against anyone having a baby in the US provided the bills were paid. However the VO can use deception to refuse a renewal if they realize you lied about your pregnancy during the visa interview. That is why they ask if you are pregnant or expecting a baby.

Good luck
Thanks a million. I have plans to pay all my bills, pray it falls within 10k sa and continue to pray for God's intervention in future application.Once again Merci!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ojdollars(m): 8:22am On Apr 13, 2012
paris10: *Pls Note: The info I gave out was intended only for people who are staying behind in the states. If you are on a Visa and intend to leave the states after few weeks or months of given birth, you will be liable to pay all medical bills.

Also, your re-entering to the States would be made difficult, and in most cases your visa would be cancelled if you did not pay all medical bills.

Solution: You either stay behind in the states after having your baby and be part of the community or don't come at all except you have your money.

@Paris10, please I need your emaiil contact, something private I need to as you as soon as possible, thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Kakatazz(f): 8:31am On Apr 13, 2012
Heard with a midwife it will cost just $300 but have enough money on standby in cae you need to bring in a Doctor.Be smart.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lonxo(f): 3:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
I intend traveling ending of the month to have my baby in Chicago.Can anyone recommend an affordable child birth centre/hospital in chicago to me.
Also how do i transport my cash there.Can USD Visa card obtained in Nigeria work for me there? Or do i physicall travel with 15k USD(bearing in mind AML policy)?Kindly advise.Many thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by abiolu: 7:02pm On Apr 13, 2012
Have u tried west surbaban hospital in illinios, chicago. I got a quote for around 4k, for naturanl birth, which includes 2 day in hospital, but I have done some research on the hospital, and the reviews aren't great. Still looking sha as I intend to give birth in the USA later in the year. Let me know if u find anything. I am actually considering a birthing center as its cheaper if u have a low risk pregnancy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lonxo(f): 9:35pm On Apr 13, 2012
@ abiolu-I haven't, but think I can still make do with the hospital.Pls can I have the email address of the hospital and the procedure involve in getting the quote and making deposit as I don't realy av time on my side and I want to make deposit b4 leaving so that they don't give hazzles at the point o. entry.I don't mind having your personal email also for some info.Many thank
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by abiolu: 9:48pm On Apr 13, 2012
What's your emaik addy. Let me forward u the quote I received from them. R u naija based or somewhere else
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lonxo(f): 3:46am On Apr 14, 2012
Yes I am naija based.
My email address is faolab@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shinatu: 10:53am On Apr 19, 2012
[b][/b]
lonxo: I intend traveling ending of the month to have my baby in Chicago.Can anyone recommend an affordable child birth centre/hospital in chicago to me.
Also how do i transport my cash there.Can USD Visa card obtained in Nigeria work for me there? Or do i physicall travel with 15k USD(bearing in mind AML policy)?Kindly advise.Many thanks

I made use of the First Bank naira master card to pay my bills in the US some time last year, the nice thing is that the card is tied to a normal naira current accout. the only problems encountered was that of Network failure once or twice while shopping. You can ask other banks with more reliable networks if they have the same product.

If you take this route, please take some spare cash along, maybe about $1K
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shinatu: 10:57am On Apr 19, 2012
A friend plans to go to New York next month to have her baby, she is presently in Nigeria(she has contacted a doctor there and is ready to pay her bills). Please has anyone gone through JFK in this status in recent times? please let me know about your experience, mine was not too good five years ago.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by OpsE1: 4:58pm On Apr 19, 2012
Has anybody in the house used Houston North West Medical Centre and Dr C. Gregory Smith before? I learnt fee for normal delivery without epidural is $5k and need to confirm this.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by megastu(m): 7:02pm On Apr 19, 2012
Hey Guys,

Please i will advice you guys to stop asking about cheap hospitals. Once you have made up your mind to go give birth in America, plan ahead. Dont under estimate the Americans when it relates to medical bills. Your bills could easily jump from 10,000 dollars to 15, 17 or even 20,000 dollars. Dont be deceived and accept all their kindness. Even their good afternoon comes with a bill. Also make sure you pay all the bills and obtain receipts for all payments. Trust me you will need them eventually.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mcbertin: 12:08am On Apr 22, 2012
I have read all the comments with keen intrest and wants to seek opinion of someone who has gone through this before. I have plans of traveling to US with my husband and my 2year old baby. I also plan to have baby in US and yet to get a visa, is it beeter to tell the consulate officer in Nigeria that we are going on a family vacation or that I am going to have a baby in US.

Candid opinion pls!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.