Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1384139 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rama24(f): 8:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
Shawbabe:
Quick question to 2nd (and more times) mothers....pls how does one stop the chances of having a big baby? As in what can I do to reduce the chances of that happening? Because that will mean CS and I don pay for vaginal undecided.
Of course my priority is the best delivery for my child, but can I do anything to greatly reduce that chance?

A friend just came to visit and said I was gaining too much and am just 14weeks gone..she jokingly said or u want a big baby?...u go tear oo..so I googled this and just saw ur post....
:: What might cause my baby to be large?Probably the most influential factors are: 

Genetics, so if you were a big baby you're more likely to have a big baby.Unmanaged high blood sugar levels from gestational diabetes or pre-existing diabetes.You are also more likely to have a large baby if: 
You have a high body mass index (BMI) at the start of your pregnancy.You've gained a lot of weight during pregnancy.You go more than two weeks past your due dateYou've gained a lot of weight between pregnancies.Even your baby's sex can play a part, as boys are more often larger than girls. And if you've already had a large baby, you're more likely to have large babies in future pregnancies. 

However, be assured that if any of these factors apply to you, you're still more likely than not to have a baby of average size. 

Most newborns who weigh more than 4.5kg (9lb 15oz) are born to women with a low risk of having a big baby. Your midwife or doctor will consider you low risk if you are not diabetic, for example. In reality, much of the variation in birth weights remains unexplained.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 8:23pm On Feb 04, 2015
Shawbabe:
Quick question to 2nd (and more times) mothers....pls how does one stop the chances of having a big baby? As in what can I do to reduce the chances of that happening? Because that will mean CS and I don pay for vaginal undecided.
Of course my priority is the best delivery for my child, but can I do anything to greatly reduce that chance?

Watch what u eat cos that's Wat baby gets. N pls stay away from sodas .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rama24(f): 8:27pm On Feb 04, 2015
Shawbabe:

Continued::
How will having a large baby affect the birth?Giving birth to a big baby can be difficult. You may experience perineal tearing, blood loss or damage to your tailbone (coccyx). 

There's also a small chance your baby may experience shoulder dystocia during birth. This is when your baby's shoulders become stuck after you've pushed his head out. It's a rare but very serious situation that needs immediate attention from an obstetrician. 

However, if this happens there's still a good chance you'll be able to give birth to your baby vaginally. For most women, changing to a better position will help their babies be born without the need of an episiotomy or other intervention. A study found that 88 per cent of women who went into labour expecting a large baby managed to have a vaginal birth. 

If you are large for dates, there's a possibility that your midwife may want to induce your labour early. If this is being recommended to you, find out why. For most women with a large baby, inducing labour early doesn't have any proven benefit for mum or baby. 

The only exception to this is if you have diabetes. Inducing you early reduces any risks around giving birth to a large baby. It also means it's less likely you'll need to give birth via a caesarean section. 

If your midwife suspects you have a large baby and recommends a caesarean, ask her to discuss the potential risks compared to a vaginal birth. You'll need to decide what you're most comfortable with.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by oluwafunkenny: 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
pls on the contrary, I have finished all the food in the house and yet I have only gained 4-6kg in 26wks of pregnancy. though this is my first but my tommy is not big and am afraid my baby will be very small.

My gynae said I shldnt worry but I keep on checking up the mirror. Any remedy to increase the weight and size of baby?

cuteade:
[quote author=Shawbabe post=30430784 You can start friut fast and brisk walking but my dear despite the fact that I did all that may gorgeous girl refused to shed and I ended up having CS grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by pattyreal(f): 8:39pm On Feb 04, 2015
Airpure:
My Darl thanks 4 ur point I use to be like u campaigning for giving newbies a chance but the fact remains that reading as much as u can is for ur own good as her post showed.

Believe me ve been checking this thread out daily n for d past 2 weeks the only informative info I ve gotten is from the good lady that posted her POE story. If u read back u will understand that in a week we use to ve more info here than we ve had in d last 1 month.

Or is it cos Phema n Co ve gone to ve their babies n even headed back.

My dear as I said peeps dn't come bck 2 give info again. Dey tk &dn't return bck. Its well
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rama24(f): 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2015
oluwafunkenny:
pls on the contrary, I have finished all the food in the house and yet I have only gained 4-6kg in 26wks of pregnancy. though this is my first but my tommy is not big and am afraid my baby will be very small.

My gynae said I shldnt worry but I keep on checking up the mirror. Any remedy to increase the weight and size of baby?

1st time pregnancies do not show easily as subsequent ones...I personally think it may be due to tight stomach Muscles of a 1st timer.
I may be wrong
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by peaceful22: 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2015
Shawbabe:

If you can walk for @least 30 minutes everyday, that can help also when u get to 2nd or 3rd trimester u can be taking lipton yellow tea if necessary. Note: make sure u stretch after taking a walk to avoid pains.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 8:50pm On Feb 04, 2015
pattyreal:

My dear as I said peeps dn't come bck 2 give info again. Dey tk &dn't return bck. Its well

Yea u right but do u blame them. When d whole thread Joke. No real info just guessing n stuffs plus questions that I call thread killers.

Let a newbie take this challenge read from page 100-150 of this tread then read d last 50 pages n let's know Wat u think.

Now people ask so much repeat questions they come back reposting n begging 4 answers.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2015
Oyaaaaa its Ok Ohhhhhh. Please all these baby size n all should be moved to health section. No offence

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by PetMe13: 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2015
Airpure:
@ FavourB .

That test should ve been one of the test u did during ur antenatal days.if u did it show them the result if not I understand their concerns HepB is a serious issue pls do the test if u ve not done it Be4 better safe Dan sorry.

Also some1 mentioned the hearing text. I Think that test is a USA requirement for new born. Pls if u can do the test I think the amount u mentioned is high n there should be a discount when I did for my NB It was only $200 n I didn't think twice about it.

Hep B is obligatory for all preggies whereas the new born hearing test is optional. I declined the hearing test for both of my kids. If u don't want to do the hearing test you just need to decline and you will b left alone after singing to you how very important it is.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 9:53pm On Feb 04, 2015
Rama24, should have replied you but after reading through your previous posts I see you don't deserve one.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Gracydee(f): 9:57pm On Feb 04, 2015
pattyreal:

Yes I agree 1st bank & GTbank do not sell dey will tell u 2 use ur card over dere dat u'll b charged normal CBN rate. UBA used 2 sell bt dey stopped december. I bot frm diamond.

Oh okay..... not heard of that before. Though I know using GTBANK card outside the country is relatively cheaper than other .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 10:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
@Shawbabe it bolis down to different reasons oh. Some the cause may be eatin too much carbs while some pple are prone to havin big babies. If I use myself as example after my eight month, I ate like a glutton. I wud wake up by 2am and 4am to eat every night then by 7am again u ll see me with food. My hubby jokingly said it's cos I m eating too much that's y my baby was relaxed (as I had him at 41weeks + 1day) lol. With all d eating, he was 3.6kg at birth. I did not do any of those exercises sha except for squatting because I kno say I no get that power
I av a friend who has 3 sons and her smallest was 4.3kg even with all d dieting she did but she said a test was carried out on her and d doctor discovered she is prone to havin big babies hence d dietin.
So my dear no worry, God kno say u go handle am

[quote author=Shawbabe post=30430784]Quick question to 2nd (and /quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by uchetobi(f): 10:12pm On Feb 04, 2015
oluwafunkenny:

It's the third trimester that the babies grow fast

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mummyprincess: 10:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hmmm! I tot we are one house here. How can we be hating and calling names like this? Pls let's behave like mature people we are n likewise encourage others to share their thoughts n opinions. The truth is, most silent readers here do not contribute because some people will come after them the wrong way. I don't think we have come here to make enemies but friends. Best corrections are given in love! Just my opinion!

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by hamalj: 10:24pm On Feb 04, 2015
[quote author=bj2012golf post=30403645][/quote]
Thanks a lot your response was very helpful.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 10:24pm On Feb 04, 2015
Hi all,

Pls for all those intending to use GTBank card abroad, kindly inform d bank that you would be travelling so they don't block ur card once they see its been used outside naija. Cards are been blocked once they see international transactions without notice.

Gracydee:

Oh okay..... not heard of that before. Though I know using GTBANK card outside the country is relatively cheaper than other .

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 10:37pm On Feb 04, 2015
Thanks to everyone that responded! Yea after speaking with the Dr's office they advised I cut out soda/juices entirely! And the kind of milkshake I've been swallowing since I got here it's appalling! sad

I'm in my third trimester oh. My mama advise high protein intake with reduced carbs and walking frequently. I was a big baby, she said I was 4.5kg and I asked my MIL, she said my husband was over 4.5kg lol! We are both CS pikins. But she said it doesn't always follow sha, to do what my mum advised and just commit to God's hands, that's all! grin

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lesplus1: 11:38pm On Feb 04, 2015
You can open account with Diamond and buy the PTA from them. It does not take days to do that

mummyprincess:
Tnx to all that have given info concerning buying PTA. My situation now is that neither me nor hubby has acct. with Diamond bank and the ones we use (1st bank & GTB) said they have stopped. Pls I need to know if there are banks that sell to people that do not bank with them but with travel documents. Help a sister pls.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by supamom: 11:48pm On Feb 04, 2015
Some of you are killing this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Cecebee: 12:04am On Feb 05, 2015
Seriously guys, can't we stop fighting?? For the last three pages it's been harsh words amongst us. Yes we are hormonal but Mehn! This is to much now....@Supermom is right...we are killing this thread. There's nothing interesting about reading one harsh reply to another harsh quote. Pls now?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 12:06am On Feb 05, 2015
Hello Everyone, how una dey?

I have observed on this thread that there seems to be no "nice" way of saying pls read all/some/small before asking certain things because they've been covered before (sometimes the info is just one page backwards sef). The person who voices it is usually attacked verbally and ironically, the "attacker" doesn't answer the question in most cases! Then harsh words are exchanged and peacemakers step in until things generally cool off. This costs us 2-3 pages of such. I don't quite mind though because its interesting and somewhat entertaining to read all the drama. Lol

I just wanna bring smth to our attention on such matters - as long as everyone has the right to ask questions as they like, then everyone also has a right to react. If we can be honest with ourselves, smx you just wanna scream when you see a question that shows that no homework has been done whatsoever! On the other hand, it is wrong to be rude, hormones or not. If per chance you overreact to a question at any point, it won't be a crime if you apologised...abi?

I have a suggestion please. If you see a repetitive question that provokes/annoys you, why not simply ignore it? Likewise, if you see some reacting harshly why not simply ignore that too? Finally, if you feel offended by a response why not ignore still? Eventually those who can will answer and those who are angered will be too ignored to continue the vexation.

Just my 2 cents my people... No offense intended in anyway please.
Cheers

***back to groundnut chopping mode. Aint nobody gat time for too much drama.

@Mabels - I see the Lord has done it again. You must born girl this time o. Lol. Cheers mama

15 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamanjai: 12:18am On Feb 05, 2015
Even if you want to tell a person to go back and read up. There is a polite way of doing so.we Suldnt be aggressive abt it.

Meanwhile, I called MIHS to book an appointment. The lady took down my details and said it would be mailed to me here in Nigeria. She sed no email correspondence. Am an April/may mum. Please is this the new procedure. Is there a better way to go abt booking an appointment wth them.

I would appreciate your kind response. Thank you much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shayo5: 1:05am On Feb 05, 2015
Heliano:
Pls anyone with contact in Nigeria embassy newyork, I want to get baby's visa pls help oo, if I may add had a baby girl last week, and didn't pay a dime extra on baby's blood work and tests even the over hyped hearing test, and even got birth control ring at no cost. It is a testimony

Congrats on the birth of your baby girl,please what is the name of the hospital you used in New York
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MamaTobenna: 2:21am On Feb 05, 2015
Mamatobenna don land for Los Angeles o. Still very tired. Will post poe story soon

17 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by pattyreal(f): 5:31am On Feb 05, 2015
mamanjai:
Even if you want to tell a person to go back and read up. There is a polite way of doing so.we Suldnt be aggressive abt it.

Meanwhile, I called MIHS to book an appointment. The lady took down my details and said it would be mailed to me here in Nigeria. She sed no email correspondence. Am an April/may mum. Please is this the new procedure. Is there a better way to go abt booking an appointment wth them.

Yes dey dn't give doctor's responsibility on financial appointment. I'll advise u kip calln dem &insist dey send it 2 ur email. Mk dem no worry u go use ur hand print am. Cos dat mailing tin may nvr get 2 u. Call & request u want 2 speak 2 Alba cahan she's very efficient wit dat
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by pattyreal(f): 5:41am On Feb 05, 2015
Gracydee:

Trust mi it's nt as cheap as diamond bank. 4 150k u'll b charged 240naira which is 4 a whole transaction 4 d day. While per transaction in gtb u'll b charged 420 naira. So if u withdraw 2 times in a day it's 840 and so on. So e no cheap abeg. Den wit dis dollar rate, i'll advise u go wit more cash cos if u can change dollar @ bank rate 4 190 it's kk. Dan withdrawing @ 205 within a space of 2 weeks. Use ur card mainly 4 POS transactions it's very free.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mummyprincess: 6:24am On Feb 05, 2015
lesplus1:
You can open account with Diamond and buy the PTA from them. It does not take days to do that

Tnx Dear, exactly an option I am seriously considering.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 7:11am On Feb 05, 2015
Am finally back home with my baby after 7 weeks. I met many nairalanders and they were helpful. Dr. Fagbohun was really nice, didn't like one of his doctors that took the delivery. For those considering him, he's very experienced, friendly and kind but very busy and therefore your appointment with him will be so brief. He doesn't take all the child delivery as he has other doctors assisting him. The services in Oakbend was fantastic, nice nurses who were very responsive. I got lots of freebies for baby like milk, diaper, wipes, pacifier, blanket, toiletries to mention a few. Favor on all sides. Thanks to all that helped to make this journey a success. In conclusion it was a beautiful experience.

22 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 7:14am On Feb 05, 2015
Hello dear, call back today. That's how they behave. The person u ll talk to today will be different from who u spoke to yesterday. Just tell d person that u av an appointment, she will confirm and then u ll tell her that please can u get an email confirmation as to ur appointment. Just say it in a very subtle way.

mamanjai:

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (402)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.