Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (356) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1381399 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Jomikish: 9:53am On Feb 06, 2015
tbaby2015:

@jomikish and @slimwendy. Good morning, please the letter you got from Dr Fagbohun, was it a personalised letter or email cause i sent him a mail and he responded with an attachment of the bills that need to be paid. Please clarify as i intend to apply for my visa as well this week.

Not a letter. Just print the mails n the bills. That's fine.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kizluv(f): 10:07am On Feb 06, 2015
kemisolanymat:
Hello Nairalanders,
Kindly advice me on what to do concerning this issue. I have a visa USA B1 and I got it based in the fact that am going to the USA for training but I couldn't go for some reason, but now am ready to go and am also pregnant. Do I mail the embassy about the pregnant status now or I just travel because I plan to deliver there too after my training.
Thanks
One of them doesn't cover medical, either B1 or B2. Find out which it is. If it's B1 that doesn't cover medical, you can't mail the embassy, you would need a B2 or b1/b2. If it's B2 that doesn't cover, meaning your b1 does, you can send them a letter, they may respond with the usual response, decide to cancel the visa or they may call you up for a chat. In that cause, have all your documents.
If you can use the visa for the purpose you got it, before childbirth. That would be your best bet.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lalavita: 10:16am On Feb 06, 2015
Do you have B1 or B1/B2 or B2
If it is just B1, sorry you need to get a new visa that has B2.
crosscheck your visa and proceed from there.

kemisolanymat:
Hello Nairalanders,
Kindly advice me on what to do concerning this issue. I have a visa USA B1 and I got it based in the fact that am going to the USA for training but I couldn't go for some reason, but now am ready to go and am also pregnant. Do I mail the embassy about the pregnant status now or I just travel because I plan to deliver there too after my training.
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 06, 2015
kemisolanymat:
Hello Nairalanders,
Thanks

A B1 visa does not allow you seek medical treatment in the US. You will have to apply for a B2 visa to do that. Please, donot violate the terms of your visa. The consequencies are better imagined. . .

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tbaby2015: 10:51am On Feb 06, 2015
Jomikish:

Not a letter. Just print the mails n the bills. That's fine.

Thanks @Jomikish and @dunwun. That's all i need to show then, together with my hotel reservation?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mom2015: 11:25am On Feb 06, 2015
ahaika23:
Another line of thought, please some genius should help out here

With my little experience on visa application ( though I'm still a learner)
I applied with about 250k balance but the act statement reflects what my hubby earns in a month.
My little advice will be for u to get an invitation letter from ur brother stating that ur wife will be coming for childbirth and will be staying with him ( avoid writing that he will foot the bills).u will also use his addy.
Secondly if u earn abt 500k upwards, u shudnt have any problems getting a visa for ur wife because the salary will reflect on ur statement of account.
Prepare a budget for ur trip...( my budget totalled abt 16.5k for normal and abt 20.5k for c-section) and get a correspondence from the Dr I intend to use.
Get ur pay slip, landed property (if any), employment letter and introduction letter from u and ur wife's office)
I also went with my medical report from my Dr in Nigeria and that's it.
If u don't earn up to 500k, maybe u shud save sum money gradually and apply in 1.5-3months. I applied when I was about 6.5mths preggy.
Finally, maybe ur wife shud apply first cos of financial issues, den u cn apply when she gets her visa.
Wish u d very best.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dunwun: 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2015
@tbaby, what hotel are you using?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lalavita: 2:05pm On Feb 06, 2015
Go with your full burden of proof.
- Dr and Hospital correspondence
- Bank statements
- Budget for trip
etc...

Also reflect on your first appointment so you have your facts right. Just be honest and pray.
All the best.

Trk2013:
Hello. I have a quick question. I renewed my US visa last year for vacation purposes which I have since embarked on and returned. However during the interview I remembrr the VO asking if I was going for baby shopping and I said no since I wasn't planning to. I have since decided to have my baby in the states and I sent an email to them informing them of my plans as advised here. I got a call earlier today from the consulate requesting I come for a chat. What do you guys think? Do I go prepared with documentation or why would they need to see me? The visa is B1/B2, I am also not based in Nigeria.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Heliano(f): 2:22pm On Feb 06, 2015
supamom:
@Heliano.
Tried sending you an email via nairaland. Dont know how to PM.
How far?

Sorry Dear didn't get ur email, but DCMH is okay virginal with obygyn is 7500 already discounted and BC processin very fast oo received mine in 4 days
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by slimwendy85: 5:38pm On Feb 06, 2015
tbaby2015:

@jomikish and @slimwendy. Good morning, please the letter you got from Dr Fagbohun, was it a personalised letter or email cause i sent him a mail and he responded with an attachment of the bills that need to be paid. Please clarify as i intend to apply for my visa as well this week.
Just the price quotes. Print out your correspondence with him and attach it to the price quote. At least that is what I am taking there on monday.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by tbaby2015: 6:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
dunwun:
@tbaby, what hotel are you using?

I'm still reviewing my options o. Not decided yet. Maybe at El Paso or Houston
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 6:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
Hello all,

Update on Houston Methodist Hospital Sugar Land -

I was billed an extra $2500 because:

- My labour was prolonged (almost 24 hours) and included extra fetal monitoring by the nurses...
- I used a whole lot of medications because I was induced (reason for induction was that USS said my baby was big - turned out not to be so big after all).

Baby did not incur any additional charges so I have received my zero balance letter for baby.

Discussed extensively with the financial counsellor, final position is that because I am cash paying she reduced it to roughly $1200, with the option of paying over a period of 1yr. After concluding payment I will get the zero balance letter.

Right now I just tire for the system, I guess it could have been worse so I am grateful to God.

Kykes I have sent you a PM, wanted to know if you had a similar experience with them? I know u have your hands full with your babies, thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 7:12pm On Feb 06, 2015
Hello familik,

Its been ages, really struggling to keep up with the thread. My write up on Houston Documentation details and how to manage your hospital bills will follow in the next few hours.

Read some pages and had a good laugh, heard you guys have started using a new package called "obama medical care", heard one oga wants to divorce his wife because of hospital bill, also heard one somebody misquoted favoredB and didnt apologise. Make una kontinu,i dey hear everything. PEACE. grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shagaman: 7:18pm On Feb 06, 2015
Tvegas:

Hello familik,

Its been ages, really struggling to keep up with the thread. My write up on Houston Documentation details and how to manage your hospital bills will follow in the next few hours.

Read some pages and had a good laugh, heard you guys have started using a new package called "obama medical care", heard one oga wants to divorce his wife because of hospital bill, also heard one somebody misquoted favoredB and didnt apologise. Make una kontinu,i dey hear everything. PEACE. grin grin grin

Tvegas abeg no kill me with Laughter ......

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
anonymousmum:
My labour was prolonged (almost 24 hours) and included extra fetal monitoring by the nurses...
- I used a whole lot of medications because I was induced (reason for induction was that USS said my baby was big - turned out not to be so big after all).

Baby did not incur any additional charges so I have received my zero balance letter for baby.

How did they determine ur baby was big? And at how many weeks? Dunno why I'm feeling I have a big baby and I'm a tad bit scared for labour and delivery. Scared of tear and all. Pls what was ur experience? And yes I'm naive as heck on this, na my 1st. cry
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bj2012golf(m): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
anonymousmum:

Congratulations on the birth of ur baby, thank God that everything is under control. As per the costs, dat was really nice u got a discount

God continue to be with u

Regards
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mimikoko: 8:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
Good day House, Please I have a question.
I recently renewed my B1/B2 visa through drop box. I was 3 and half months pregnant at the time. I found out about this thread afterwards and I became concerned about POE. I read on one of the US visa websites that a B1/B2 visa could be used for various purposes including medical care.
But I have read here that it's better to inform them of a change in plans via email.
Now the thing is that I dey fear one kind make them no go cancel my visa.
Pleaseeee kindly advice a preg Sis.
Thank you
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by worry359(m): 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2015
mimikoko:
I recently renewed my B1/B2 visa through drop box. I was 3 and half months pregnant at the time. I found out about this thread afterwards and I became concerned about POE. I read on one of the US visa websites that a B1/B2 visa could be used for various purposes including medical care.
But I have read here that it's better to inform them of a change in plans via email.
Thank you
They will not cancell your visa
but if you turn up at point of entry, looking pregnant without a plan, doctors contact and proof of finance to pay for birth
you can be sent home.
If you have a child on visit visa without telling them, even if you pay.
Next time you renew your visa it can be a ban for fraud.

(Just what could happen)

Honesty is the best policy so tell them now and get doctors information.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 9:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
worry359:

They will not cancell your visa
but if you turn up at point of entry, looking pregnant without a plan, doctors contact and proof of finance to pay for birth
you can be sent home.
If you have a child on visit visa without telling them, even if you pay.
Next time you renew your visa it can be a ban for fraud.

(Just what could happen)

Honesty is the best policy so tell them now and get doctors information.

Not True. I had my child on visiting Visa went for renewal will all my proof of payment n my visa was granted n being granted since den.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2015
Hello Dear. Congrats again. Pls can u share a breakdown of ur bill I really like to know d total cos I intend using same hospital.

Regards.

anonymousmum:
Hello all,

- My labour was prolonged (almost 24 hours) and included extra fetal monitoring by the nurses...

Discussed extensively with the financial counsellor, final position is that because I am cash paying she reduced it to roughly $1200, with the option of paying over a period of 1yr. After concluding payment I will get the zero balance letter.

Right now I just tire for the system, I guess it could have been worse so I am grateful to God.

Kykes I have sent you a PM, wanted to know if you had a similar experience with them? I know u have your hands full with your babies, thanks.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by kizluv(f): 9:10pm On Feb 06, 2015
Shawbabe:

How did they determine ur baby was big. cry
Shawbabe, I am going to send you a PM right now about this issue. I can see it is really disturbing you...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dere5: 9:59pm On Feb 06, 2015
mimikoko:
Thank you
I dont think you did anything wrong by renewing via drop box,so the issue of your visa being cancelled dose not even come up.You are also not mandated to inform the enbassy since your visa covers medical
All you need to do is to be fully prepaired , read this thread from at least the last 100 pages and gather your burden of proof for POE (get hospital and doctors correspondence,enough cash of at least 10k depending on your budget and estimates)
I dont think the issue of cancelation of your visa will arise,since you dint comit any offence unless there is somewhere in the drop box renewal form that you were asked if you were pregnant and you said no
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by AyaSho(f): 11:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
Hello house,
Found the stolen passport ooo.
Thank you so much.
After starting all the process of obtaining new one but thank God we,ve not gotten it.
Please, I have a difficulty in helping my hubby to get an appointment.(with d old pee)
Reason- the first appointment was booked by an agent who created an email address for him.( can't locate him again)
I tried creating another one but to know avail.
Please am sorry for the diversion.
Need your help urgently.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mimikoko: 11:25pm On Feb 06, 2015
Thank you very much Worry359, Airpure and Dere5 for responding. I really appreciate it. God bless you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 2:41am On Feb 07, 2015
Shawbabe:

How did they determine ur baby was big? And at how many weeks? Dunno why I'm feeling I have a big baby and I'm a tad bit scared for labour and delivery. Scared of tear and all. Pls what was ur experience? And yes I'm naive as heck on this, na my 1st. cry

Why do you feel you have a big baby?? Just be at peace. Tears / Episiotomies are handled pretty well in the US, its not that much of a big deal

My scan done at 40 wks showed 9 pound baby lipsrsealed hence Dr recommended induction, that if we waited more the baby may become bigger and bigger and I would be at higher risk for C/S. However scan has an error margin of up to 10%, my baby was far less than that in reality.

bj2012golf:

Congratulations on the birth of ur baby

Thanks a lot.

Airpure:
Hello Dear. Congrats again. Pls can u share a breakdown of ur bill I really like to know d total cos I intend using same hospital.
Regards.

Hi pls see my previous posts.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by favouredB(f): 3:38am On Feb 07, 2015
anonymousmum:
Hello all,

Extra 2,500. You are lucky. My own na the one wey dem dey call Original Gobe. I was billed extra 9,000 for spending a night at the hospital. A week before I put to bed doctor was worried about d size of my baby (3.9kg according to them) and asked me to go in let them monitor the baby and then decide whether I was going to be induced to labour. He told me the baby's size would be getting bigger and may get to the point of using CS. My annoyance is that i asked him if there was an extra charge for that and he said it was part of the whole delivery package. I went into the hospital that night and they monitored my baby through out the night.The next morning they decided to still give me time and discharged me. Now the hospital is giving me bill of 9k for just a night. Meanwhile a whole delivery package of two nights is 3,800 ...I don't know how that makes sense. Now the doctor is saying he did not misinform me. That no matter how many nights I spend before giving birth that i would not be charged unless I exceed the two days after giving birth. Well he was right. But then HE DISCHARGED ME THE FOLLOWING MORNING on his own terms. I was even reluctant about going in to the hospital that night and I told him I wanted to wait until baby was ready to arrive but he insisted. After the monitoring he was the one who decided I wasn't going to be induced and discharged me. I am sorry for this long post but I hope someone will learn something from my experience. Now after all negotiations they brought the bill down to half which I said I will not pay. The case is still hanging cos the highest amount am willing to pay for this is 1k. Please for those that have renewed their visas after child birth do they work with only your zero balance receipts or they still have to search for your payment records in their system? I am asking because they asked me to come next Tuesday for d zero balance letter on the 3,800k I paid. I already have zero balance letter for the doctor s fees. If they insist on the 4,500 half of the bill then honestly j am going to fashy them. Sometimes this American system has a way of frustrating those who want to play by the rules. Am totally pissed.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 3:38am On Feb 07, 2015
kizluv:

Shawbabe, I am going to send you a PM right now about this issue. I can see it is really disturbing you...

Sent u an email Kizluv.

Justwise please how do I access PMs on this forum? Every time someone sends me a PM it goes my email and says someone is tryna contact me. What am I doing wrong?

@anonymusmum, my dear I probably need to calm down undecided

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 3:44am On Feb 07, 2015
@FavoredB, na wa o! These people are bent on eating u dry! Pls what State and hospital did u use so we will know to stay away in future. 9k for a 1 night? Even Burj al arab never reach like that for one night! I advise keep negotiating with them.
At this rate, na to take recording device to every Dr's appointment mehn! B4 person come deny u after birth
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 3:46am On Feb 07, 2015
Phema, this one u are awake, na jetlag abi baby feeding? grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 3:58am On Feb 07, 2015
Shawbabe:
Phema, this one u are awake, na jetlag abi baby feeding? grin

Lol. I dey night duty with my boy ooo. grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 4:20am On Feb 07, 2015
favouredB:

Extra 2,500. You are lucky. My own na the one wey dem dey call Original Gobe. I was billed extra 9,000 for spending a night at the hospital. A week ....

Pele o! I'm so sorry about this.

I have to blame the doctor at this point. He had no business discharging you. He should have an idea of how the system works, and adapt to his international , self pay clients. Your package only commenced when you went in the second time, and they billed you standart hospital rae for that day.

For example, when my doctor wanted to induce me, he told me to resume at the hospital at 5 mins past midnight so that my 48 hours will start counting from midnight, and so I will not stay too long, even after 24hrs labor I still did not exceed the 48 hours in the hospital.

Pls whatever you do do not fashy them. That zero balance letter is critical. Receipt alone does not show that you paid in full.

Even for pediatrician, drs fees, I collected zero balance letter at every point.

Just find a way to negotiate, last last you can be paying small small from Nigeria (if they will agree) or aggressively negotiate a lower rate if you are able to pay all at once.

Even me I dey vex. The financial counselor showed me the full itemised list of the services I received, I was weak. Thank God for discount.

Just keep thinking about your healthy LO and the end target of the whole venture...it is well...hugs.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by anonymousmum: 4:21am On Feb 07, 2015
Shawbabe:

@anonymusmum, my dear I probably need to calm down undecided

lol I think you should smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.