Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (391) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1379193 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shelly23: 11:41pm On Feb 26, 2015
I'm not sure why you're on this thread if you're so hell bent on forcing Nigerian hospitals down our throats!

Please allow those of us who want BETTER alternatives to seek them!

drafrican:
Yes I am a true representation that guarantees EMPATHY.
When the facts are laid down it turns to an emotional blackmail.
To get healthcare in USA without insurance you pay heavily to get the same in Nigeria you pay heavily.
How does the fact that a hospital generator will run on fuel make me love money?
I won't be blackmailed,I have stated the facts. you either accept it or not.
Stating the fact doesn't make me wicked or mean!
And please don't go to any Nigerian hospital again o ......only USA that's the only time ur words are valid

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nelly2012: 11:50pm On Feb 26, 2015
@Shawbabe, you've made the most point in this argument... pls it's not a norm to travel at 36 weeks, let's do the right thing and leave the rest to God. Pregnancy is a physiology changing process, the long flight hours, the change in body clock as in time difference and jet lag... new environment for first time( and even tenth time travellers)... pls don't tempt God my people.

@drafrican, enough is said already...

Nigerians, all of us, our attitude to work/duty is wrong. It's a pity but it's just a Nigerian thing!
The laxity is too much...Doctors, bankers, nurses, business men & women, receptionist etc...

I also lost a 16 wks pregnancy in the nos 1 govt hosp in Nigeria after many years of waiting(so ask me about the pain of loosing a pregnancy after years of marriage)... could have happened anywhere tho but doctor on call in the emergency unit on Xmas day was no where to be found and I was contracting in pains until hubby acted small drama, lol... long story short... we all need to change our attitude to duty.

Besides, am a doctor too... nobody should slaughter me o...lol

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by isysleek: 11:51pm On Feb 26, 2015
Hello house,

Pls if someone finds out there's an error on the DS 160 application form which has already been submitted, can the person pay the visa fees again and start the application process afresh? Will the new application be linked to the first form filled?

Pls gurus in the house,help. Very urgent!

Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shelly23: 11:59pm On Feb 26, 2015
The US embassy is notorious for denying nannies, not sure why though.
Please try your luck and let's know how it goes.

TeesMom:
Hello house, pls has anyone applied for a visa for a nanny before? Any info wld b great as my child has plenty activity.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dittobaby: 12:13am On Feb 27, 2015
shagaman:

As a preggy what one needs really is closeness to hospital,intown is close to hospital and where to see doc sef, also the advantage here is that shopping malls are around trek able distance,walmart is close,Ranch market is close,so many shopping malls around,I dont know about ramada so cant talk about the place,but at intown all u need is a bed where to cook and a 42 inch tv,that should surfice for ur period of stay, but if you want a place with jacuzzi,hot tub ,chaffiers, massage and others I can help you find out .....but if you have a budget u dont want to exceed then intown might suite you.

Thanks for the info. I made a reservation online for a room at in town suites today but l was allowed only a 31 days booking which ends in June. I hope when I get there they will not tell me that somebody else has booked the room for July. I also saw a tax fee of $43.75. Is it weekly or a one time payment? How can I get in touch with you, please?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Vineb: 12:21am On Feb 27, 2015
Read through the discussion of the day about Nija health care n US health care. Some of us are not going to US only for the blue Pali. I have also had a terrible experience with the Nija health care, lost a 26weeks baby delivered life after 2 days in one of the best hospitals in lagos n the story I got was 26weeks old babies are not considered as viable n I paid a whioping sum of 2M plus after the loss. Abeg drafrica pack well, I won't pray for my enemy to loss a child.

N for those planning on traveling at 37wrrks una weldone , let's just have it in mind that pregnancy can develop complication at anytime. It's only God that keeps a pregnancy n we should also be careful not to make moves that will hurt us. It is well .

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Vineb: 12:26am On Feb 27, 2015
Just remembered a friends experience, she traveled at 36weeks n immediately she landed she fell into labour they had to call ambulance to rush her to the hospital. She ended up paying a lot cos ER in the US no dey smile when it comes to cash paying patient. It ended up being penny wise pound foolish for her. So let's apply wisdom pls.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by malory84: 12:35am On Feb 27, 2015
drafrican:
@ slimwendy
Am sorry for your loss
Am not mocking anyone,it would be very wrong of me neither would I insult anyone.
I encourage people to sue and I always will.
It's just wrong to give examples but there's also a lady who did IVF in naija went to the USA lost the baby and it was ruled as SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome) it occurred in the hospital nursery.

@slimwendy85, so sorry for your loss. Mr Dr Africa. I don't get the point of this your argument . I understand you love your country hence the need to defend the healthcare. But please be realistic, you can't compare a mansion and a face me I face you. I had my baby recently in elpaso and the birth experience was eventful. I have no regrets coming here because if to say na NAija I dey, I no know how e for be. Because a friend of mine had almost the same complications I had but they couldn't handle it. Her baby was not handling contractions well and they still administered pitocin. Same with me, he wasn't handling contractions well , his heart beat kept dropping and going up, they decided to wait on the pitocin , because since he wasn't handling mine well pitocin would be worse. I don't want to give the whole story, but my baby ended up in NiCu after swallowing so much miconium. You can't even start imagining the amount of doctors and nurses that hovered around him, the over the top care both from nurses and doctors. My primary reason for coming here to give birth was because of the blue pally, but after I had my child, blue pally became secondary. I just paid twice my budget on nicu and I don't even feel it because I am grateful to God for the opportunity I have to travel to the United States. My child is well and perfect. I will come here again till I'm done! Our healthcare is wack! Just accept it and stop trying to prove rubbish here Biko.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by modath(f): 1:06am On Feb 27, 2015
@Shawbabe,
We can go back and forth till thy kingdom come but since we are clearly on opposites sides and with raging hormones et al, you can have the last word. You are so right. grin
One undeniable fact is that this thread has gotten to almost 400pages(could have been more if not for the tsunami)cos of the blue pali and self pay packages since we all know india is actually where 9ja people patronise for healthcare related issues.
We are having this debate cos we can afford the air fare to start with, some folks have their babies @ cac missions cos that's the hand fate dealt them.

To the mamas that have lost babies;I'm sorry if you feel disparaged in any way,I pray that the lord will give you miracles that will keep smiles permanently on your faces.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by aye88: 3:32am On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=nelly2012 post=31123349]@Shawbabe, you've made the most point in this argument... pls it's not a norm to travel at 36 weeks, let's do the right thing and leave the rest to God. Pregnancy is a physiology changing process, the long flight hours, the change in body clock as in time difference and jet lag... new environment for first time( and even tenth time travellers)... pls don't tempt God my people.

Nigerians, all of us, our attitude to work/duty is wrong. It's a pity but it's just a Nigerian thing!
The laxity is too much...Doctors, bankers, nurses, business men & women, receptionist etc...

I also lost a 16 wks pregnancy in the nos 1 govt hosp in Nigeria after many years of waiting(so ask me about the pain of loosing a pregnancy after years of marriage)...

You are right about our attitude to work thing. It applies to all professions and I think it's not a Nigerian syndrome alone, it's peculiar to the whole Black race. I have a hospital close to the house I stay here in Maryland which I would have considered for childbirth, but my sister whom I'm staying with said it's filled with blacks and theamount of attention I would recieve there would differ from awhite community hospital. And she was very right. She had her child in thehospital and her other child in awhite community hospital anthe d gap between the two was too. Wide. I think the black race generally don't pay attention to details, very lacadiscal towards so many things. Even in Maryland here, sometimes when u see dway some blacks behave as against the whites, you can almost spit

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Airpure(f): 4:51am On Feb 27, 2015
Pls pls pls m I d only one that is tired of all this. even at 1am Naija time don't u guys ve husbands. I see update that 79 new post I click hoping to read some good stuffs n m seeing this as if we don't get enough drama from Naija movies. It really does make me wonder how people can fight like this on an anonymous site how they live in Reality. Just imagine if these 2 were neighbours sometimes all u need to do is be d bigger person n work away.

What stared all this when to travel. Every sensible person know u can't use Mrs A to Judge Mrs B every pregnancy is diff . If u a stay at home mom or business woman u wont understand why someone wants to travel at 35 weeks so stay out of it pls n don't start being judgemental n all. People ve travelled at 36 weeks n didn't ve babies on the plane. I m a working mom I travelled at 34 weeks plus n still ve a month to Go BGG.

Pls next time there is a need for all this unending argument pls open a thread n called "------ meet me here let's argue" MOD pls next time use ur banning powers.

Meanwhile based on what r we comparing Naija n US health care is it see finish that they let us come birth there.pls stop it. Next we will start comparing education SMH. Pls let's get back to the thread topic. abeg.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nefertitiram: 6:53am On Feb 27, 2015
nelly2012:
@Shawbabe, you've made the most point in this argument... pls it's not a norm to travel at 36 weeks, let's do the right thing and leave the rest to God. Pregnancy is a physiology changing process, the long flight hours, the change in body clock as in time difference and jet lag... new environment for first time( and even tenth time travellers)... pls don't tempt God my people.

I also lost a 16 wks pregnancy in the nos 1 govt hosp in Nigeria after many years of waiting(so ask me about the pain of loosing a pregnancy after years of marriage)... could have happened anywhere tho but doctor on call in the emergency unit on Xmas day was no where to be found and I was contracting in pains until hubby acted small drama, lol... long story short... we all need to change our attitude to duty.

Besides, am a doctor too... nobody should slaughter me o...lol

You even sound like a correct doctor! wink Nothing do you!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nefertitiram: 6:57am On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=malory84 post=31124013][/quote]

@Malory84 wow! How is your LO doing now?! Thank God for his miracles! jeez!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nefertitiram: 6:59am On Feb 27, 2015
isysleek:
Hello house,

Pls if someone finds out there's an error on the DS 160 application form which has already been submitted, can the person pay the visa fees again and start the application process afresh? Will the new application be linked to the first form filled?

Pls gurus in the house,help. Very urgent!

Thank you.

Just fill a new ds160 form then you can edit your appointment page to include the new ds160 number. If you have exceeded the number of times you make changes to your appointment then you will have to pay the fees again. No, the new application will not be linked.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Amother4life: 8:18am On Feb 27, 2015
drafrican:
I am sorry about your loss but Pls Nigerians should desist from imagining we kill people here Age of viability in Nigeria is 28 weeks but am sure it's not unconnected with the fact that incubators require 24 hours electricity to run,that certainly ain't the dr's fault.
So if u want that here you will be charged heavily.
Let's head to Australia age of viability is 18 weeks there,since it's not the pali,USA is inferior to Australia
And 35 week old babies are not premature per sey cos their lungs are developed already so there is more to this,sepsis/jaundice etc
Pls go through the USA court records and find out the medical blunders they commit there!
Find out why no foreign trained doctor works in a teaching hospital without passing Nigerian exams
Find out why Nigerian IVF success rate is higher than the USA.
We do not throw alive babies born at less than 28 weeks into the dust bin we provide "comfort care" and a percentage survive.
Did the hospital you used have a neonatologist present(not peadiatrician) when labour started at 28 weeks these are the issues.
This services are available here we have neonatal ICU's .
Am sorry if I come across as insensitive it's because our patients too are even more insensitive.
As for government vs private hospitals the debate remains endless.
They record mortality all over the world but it's a reflection of not only the health care system but the level of education and financial strength of the patient.if USA had mothers that would spend 20hrs in labour with a doula and then turn up at the hospital m sure their mortality will be 100%
By Gods grace everyone will deliver full term .
One love
Every doctor or nurse has liability insurance. People loose their license in the US for any malpractice and it gets published. I am not sure the same applies in Nigeria drafrican. Are there court records we can go through in Nigeria to see the horrific blunders committed by medical personnel? I can only imagine how many have died or been turned away from emergency rooms because they had no money. There is absolutely no basis for comparison when it comes to healthcare facilities or ethics between the two countries.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:24am On Feb 27, 2015
Mehn!!!! I don't know why anyone should be bothered if people are going to u.s to give birth o.
Its my money, I worked for it, and imma spend it in anyway I want whether to get blue pali or orange pali or brown pali, its MY choice.

And for the travelling early part... If I was carrying one baby I would have come here at 36weeks cos with my previous pregnancies I never fell into labour on my own. I always passed due dates, but then twins came and I fell in labour at 26weeks and my doc did all he could to stop the labour. Thank God it worked. When I told him I was coming here he said "if not for the better medical care you would get I would have advice against it" deep down he knew my babies would have better chance of survival if they were born here as premies.
I don't care if anyone thinks I'm here for the pali. *sips tea*

16 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by nefertitiram: 8:31am On Feb 27, 2015
sayoberry:
Mehn!!!! I don't know why anyone should be bothered if people are going to u.s to give birth o.
Its my money, I worked for it, and imma spend it in anyway I want whether to get blue pali or orange pali or brown pali, its MY choice.

And for the travelling early part... If I was carrying one baby I would have come here at 36weeks cos with my previous pregnancies I never fell into labour on my own. I always passed due dates, but then twins came and I fell in labour at 26weeks and my doc did all he could to stop the labour. Thank God it worked. When I told him I was coming here he said "if not for the better medical care you would get I would have advice against it" deep down he knew my babies would have better chance of survival if they were born here as premies.
I don't care if anyone thinks I'm here for the pali. *sips tea*

Iya Ibeji, abeg, pass me the lighter teapot grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mabels: 8:32am On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=Shawbabe post=31110772]

Lol. U totally got all I wrote wrong. U think I'm saying get out of Nigeria and have ur baby in the US so it guarantees smooth delivery? No that's not what I'm saying. Or that complications cannot be handled in Nigeria if it

Got that.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamanjai: 8:41am On Feb 27, 2015
Wow!!!! Nada nawa for this thread oh, the way pple approach each other,force their points on each other's throat with splitting words, thy jst attack each other at will, so much anger and pain to someone you don't even know Wat happens if it's someone yu know, wld this be the same reaction. So much harsh energy/chemistry passed to babies on the womb. I really don't get the anger in each reply esp wen someone says something yu don't like. You don't even know if the person is yur neighbour, church member, couleague, Inlaw,etc. even if the person says something you do not like or appreciate, yu cld jst tell the person yu do not appreciate it and move ahead! Most times this thread is so sweet yu always want to come and check, at other times yu wonder if it's same women we hve been interacting wth. At this end, we suldnt put down Nigeria soo bad, let's believe things wld get beta. We wld all still return to this country and use same hospitals. God wld help us.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Amother4life: 8:57am On Feb 27, 2015
TeesMom:
Hello house, pls has anyone applied for a visa for a nanny before? Any info wld b great as my child has plenty activity.
Your nanny cannot be granted a visa to offer her services in the U.S for obvious reasons on a visitors visa since she will be considered employed.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2015
thats a good idea, the only thing is how to prove she is ur nanny...did u get her through a well set u agent...

however, u can easily get a nany where ever u travel to..aint u getting anyone else to travel with u i.e mum or mum in law....before d nany disapears....so many of them do!!!

TeesMom:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mabels: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=drafrican post=31119160]Let's ask ourselves as individuals what have we done to improve health care in Nigeria.
Have you ever donated a medical equipment to a government owned hospital.

Mama Africa. You ve been right with some of ur statements and arguments but what is this about donating medical equipment to govt hospital. Y sud we do that? Are we getting free service? If govt can't afford to set up a functional hospital, then govt sud close shop. And if some doctors are preaching charity then they sud find another profession too cos it is nt too late. I use a private hospital in abuja that is well equipped, the hospital does nt expect donations from us and health care service is great there. when It comes to health issues, I can give an eye.

@ bloggerina, I dey see a boy and a girl. My boys are great, and how is yours?

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Latolly: 9:33am On Feb 27, 2015
[quote author=drafrican post=31118633]I am sorry about your loss but Pls Nigerians should desist from imagining we kill people here ......... Coming from a doc to a doc...i am of the opinion you were a bit too harsh. I lost two babies in Nigeria due to negligence and trust me have worked in the system in and out of Naija in the best of places and i do believe Nigerian doctors do kill patients. To all motherswho have experienced loses at one point or the other i feel your pains. Keep searching for the best and God will see us all through.

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by HotChoco2(f): 9:35am On Feb 27, 2015
As the saying goes...two wrongs don't make a right.

In one way or the other, most people talking about when to travel or healthcare in Nigeria/US have their points but i just think that we need to be more polite on this thread.

A lot of people are very opinionated around here which is not bad so far you are not trying to pull anyone down by it.

Probably if someone was not trying to force their opinion on the other person by travelling early or late, we wont be here.

As others have rightly said, do whatever seems right with you.

A yoruba saying goes --- ma fi ago alago sise meaning --- dont work with other people's time.

Every mallam wit him kettle grin

My opinion!

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by skelemba: 9:40am On Feb 27, 2015
Yes please oh!!!

Lets calm down..all point noted...Lets keep the atmosphere positive remember our babies can feel...

Sorry for all d looses...God of restoration will restore all that we may have lost. Please lets be matured and give encouraging stories indeed.

God bless

mamacajah:
Please all , let's sheath our swords and rest. I don't like the direction this talk is going.

on travelling early or late several opinions have been given based on personal experience. This digression is not good for this thread especially with preggy mom's and dads.

One love all. let's hear more successful stories on POE and delivery.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by woaini(f): 9:46am On Feb 27, 2015
*peeping to see if the coast is clear*

Some arguments on dis thread can be entertaining, but this one? Mbaa! No superior argument can make a woman that experienced such a loss not feel as upset as some of us feel. Let's learn to be sensitive in our post and be emotionally intelligent, @ princeadade is an example, he exchanged views with Oga justwise in d most matured way.
One love

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by boldbabe: 9:48am On Feb 27, 2015
Please i beg everyone in the house to embrace peace and lets stop the fight. May God grant us our heart desires and help us carry our babies to full term. May we all live long to see our children children children. Amen.

Success to everyone going for Visa, successful POE stories and safe delivery to all preggies.

One love house.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by beautyx5: 9:49am On Feb 27, 2015
nefertitiram:

You are not sorry, I can bet you have no idea the true meaning of I am sorry! Please stop comparing US and your crappy system, there is no comparison and you are further making a mockery of the entire purpose of sharing experiences.
If you have nothing nice to say, just hush!

Hello Ma,

I think it's enough! And i think it's unfair how you have blamed this one doctor for all the problems all pregnant women have encountered. Just as you have made valid points, so has he too.

Your loss hurt me when i heard about it. But this Dr is not to blame. If we question his certificate, then we should question the certificate of everyone that went through a nigerian schooling system. Yours and mine inclusive.

This is a faceless forum but we are all interconnected somehow. The question we should ask is how to move forward and be positive changes despite what we experienced. Leave all the pettiness and fighting and unnecessary bickering.

@everyone, as difficult as it may be sometimes, let's keep an open mind and be focused. If advice or opinions are given and you don't agree with it, feel free to disagree and move on. Don't keep flogging issues and taking them to new levels for further disagreements.

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi

God bless us all!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 9:51am On Feb 27, 2015
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shadetwins: 9:57am On Feb 27, 2015
@ drafrican i pay 30% of my salary to the Nigerian Govt.. and im not getting anything from this country so wat are u saying. You kno nothing abt tax in this country

drafrican:
My dear do you pay 30% of your salary as tax to the government if you do then you have a right to criticize the system that's what Americans pay
After they attend to you do you pay back or not if you lack insurance? Well you do every single month.
But like d naija pple that jumped at Medicaid Nigerians will owe hospitals and not pay back
Whose fault is that the dr's?

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 10:06am On Feb 27, 2015
shadetwins:
@ drafrican i pay 30% of my salary to the Nigerian Govt.. and im not getting anything from this country so wat are u saying. You kno nothing abt tax in this country

Please let's lay this issue to rest abeg. We have over flogged it. Biko. Today is a new day!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by leeleeonyeizu: 10:21am On Feb 27, 2015
Hi everyone,am thankful to u all for all the informations I got on this forum please I will like for u 2 respond to my questions as its urgent. Will I have a problem at the point of entry because I filled philadelphia in my form but my uncle who is a doctor there has stopped delivering and so I want to go houston were my husband has relatives and because its cheaper.please am waiting for your prompt respond as am planning on leaving for us next week thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.