Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru (2005 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Nigerians Are To Be Blamed For Fuel Scarcity - Kachukwu. / Jonathan Should Be Blamed For Abubakar Audu's Death. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 3:50pm On Jun 24, 2007
Ex- Governors: What is Nuhu Ribadu Doing?

Last View on Sun 24th June, 2007
Last Modified on Sat 23rd June, 2007 11:48:57 pm
Author: Admin Sahara

The Guardian/ By Sonala Olumhense

As I understood it, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was itchy and restless. It had urgent business of patriotic significance. It simply could not wait for 29 May 2007.

Not because Olusegun Obasanjo was scheduled to leave Abuja for Otta on that day. Not because Umaru Yar’Adua was arriving Aso Rock. The excitement was owed to the fact that many state governors were leaving office. That meant they were losing their constitutional immunity to prosecution. That meant they were going to be ordinary citizens subject to the long reach of the law. That meant the EFCC was going to be opening its bulky folders that its Chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, had repeatedly insinuated were loaded with evidence of official malfeasance for which these men were responsible.

29 May 2007. Nigerians could not wait, either. In many states, not much had happened in eight years, largely because of the absence of funds and the political commitment to make things happen. Instead, many governors were openly and cynically looting their state treasuries for personal use. At home and abroad they were buying vast business empires, setting up accounts, and building private estates.

Nigerians knew about the exploits of these governors in Europe, Asia, North America and Africa. Nigerians knew of these governors and their illegal hotels and airlines and oil refineries, real estate and foreign bank accounts.

The Nigerian government knew of them as well. In May 2004, Nenadi Usman, then Minister of State for Finance, told the nation how the Governors were robbing their own people. On a visit to the Debt Management Office in Abuja, she observed that every month, as soon as federal allocations reached the states, the Governors headed for the international airport, stopping only at the foreign exchange market to get rid of the Naira burden in return for convertible currencies. This “revelation” was confirmed by the Minister of Finance, Okonjo-Iweala, who urged Senators to “ask the Governors what they are doing with their (state) funds.”

As we now know, two of those Governors actually got into some legal drama in London with the Metropolitan Police, having been connected with large sums of cash. Back in Nigeria, neither the Nigeria Police nor the EFCC could do anything to those governors, restrained as they were by the constitution of the land. So the Governors continued to pose, to preach and to pamper themselves.

Repeatedly, Mr. Ribadu pointed at the calendar. On 29 May 2007, he said, the immunity clock would have run out on the greedy governors, and he would immediately begin to put the information in the EFCC files to work. The understanding was that he would be arresting those former Governors who had cases to answer, and filing charges against them.

Many new men are in charge in the states now. At the Governors' Forum last week, President Yar’Adua was handing them sympathy cards: "If what I have been hearing from some states is correct, it would seem some of you may spend the next four years managing debt. Such a situation is unacceptable," he told them.

In other words, not only are the treasuries empty, the states are in debt.

So, then, what about 29 May 2007? Nearly one month after the famous date, no former Governor has been handcuffed or arrested. None of them has even been referred to as “the accused.” What Nigerians have now found is that they are being invited to the EFCC for discreet, climate-controlled conversations over tea and coffee. While the former Inspector-General of Police was put in chains and was last seen falling out of a Black Maria, these Obasanjo-nurtured fat cats have time to put on their make-up and alligator shoes and neo-Robin Hood aftershave.

Perhaps that is why the EFCC advertised a new line this month: “civilized” procedure. The Commission said it wanted to ensure that things are done in a “civilized” way.

I completely disagree with Mr. Ribadu and the EFCC about this sudden discovery creatively labelled civility. Handcuffs, arrests and detention are not an affront on civility or the rule of law; they are a part of the process. A suspect gets arrested, and is eventually sentenced if he is convicted. Between arrest and conviction, the suspect gets the benefit of the doubt but is expected to confront process that includes the courts, lawyers and prosecution. Beyond this, there is no provision in our law for “civility,” alias privilege. There is no provision in our law for two standards.

I am aware that some of the former governors are said to have been coughing up some of their loot. That is good, but it is immaterial. I do not care if they cough up one trillion Naira each day they have been out of office. They are supposed to refund all the funds they have been trying to hide since the EFCC announced two years ago it was coming for them, but they ought to be doing so in the hot and humid and sweaty confines of a court of law. If they have any deals they wish to propose, they ought to be doing so in the open, in court.

It is wrong of the EFCC to encourage double-standards. This is not what the law provides for, nor what Mr. Ribadu promised. For nine years, these former Governors did whatever they liked, conveniently forgetting that they would one day have to account. What the EFCC is doing is telling them that they can account at their leisure, in a manner that suits their lifestyle, and to an extent that suits their privilege. To that extent, the EFCC is guiltier than the former Governors, and Mr. Ribadu ought to step down for dragging Nigeria to the level of the suspects.

Let us remember: a part of the Nigeria problem is that there is the Big Man, and there are the rest of us. The Big Man makes or implements the law, but does not expect to be governed by it. Apart from the military who robbed the people because they were, well, soldiers, nobody in nearly half a century of our life as an independent nation has demonstrated such duplicity more fervently than some of the governors who took office in 1999. The irony is that this situation became clearer to the EFCC than to anyone else, including the Nigeria Police. Given the chance to remind the country, particularly the politicians that privatizing public wealth is not only wrong but punishable, the EFCC has now elected to become a part of the problem by suddenly and curiously declaring “civility” a legal principle in determining when or whom to prosecute.

This ruse protects the thieves among the former governors, as well as protects forthcoming and practicing thieves with precedence. It is also a reminder that nothing has changed. Under the administration of Olusegun Obasanjo, the ruse took on the form of constitutional immunity, permitting Governors who were mainly of the ruling party to rise from petty thieves to party thieves. Eight years later, under Yar’Adua, the ruse has mutated into a new monster called “civility.”

It is helpful to remember that these men were Yar’Adua’s colleagues in the Governors’ Forum, and that Yar’Adua had expected one of them to become President. It is also worthy of note that so far, he has not done anything to distance himself from them. On the contrary, some of them were reportedly still being considered for ministerial slots in his Cabinet last week. It seems that we are continuing in the same ethical vacuum that these Governors championed, and were a part of for eight years. In that light, the posture of the EFCC is hardly a surprise, nor is Yar’Adua’s failure to take a position on the side of justice.

The obvious danger here is that there is no way the so-called “war against corruption” can move forward if these former governors are not prosecuted. We can still have smoke-and-mirrors, and make plenty of speeches and proclamations, but we will not have such a war. But here is what would really be special: the next generation of governors (members of the Governors’ Forum Yar’Adua addressed last week), would be far worse than those now benefiting from Yar’Adua and Ribadu’s “civility.”

I know that this curious fork on the highway is not why the EFCC was so restless for so long.

Interesting article but in all honesty, whose fault is it?

Ribadu or Yaradua
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by Bankole01(m): 4:49pm On Jun 24, 2007
Obasanjo! The boys (thieve-executives) did his bidding in the April selections by making sure their States stayed in PDP hands! Now, they are being rewarded by the OBJ attack dog (Ribadu)
If you look at things as they stand, even the federal government kitty was loted dry by Obasanjo and his goons.
So where does EFCC start??
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by Mariory(m): 12:45am On Jun 25, 2007
Bankole01:

Obasanjo! The boys (thieve-executives) did his bidding in the April selections by making sure their States stayed in PDP hands! Now, they are being rewarded by the OBJ attack dog (Ribadu)
If you look at things as they stand, even the federal government kitty was loted dry by Obasanjo and his goons.
So where does EFCC start??

And you were there when the kitty was looted dry? Is that how you know? Wait let me guess, you know all because you have special powers that let you know all.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by DisGuy: 2:32am On Jun 25, 2007
McKren:

Interesting article but in all honesty, whose fault is it?

Ribadu or Yaradua

everyone of them/us!

one thing is for sure, Yaradua want things done properly, he doesnt want to step on too many toes immediately, dealing with strike, empty state treasuries and daily kidnappings, the guy is not even settled yet

I wonder what happened to ribadu and his new found civilized way maybe he listened to many of us Nigerians shouting about the way he goes about bullying and terrorising people. there are several people saying this and that about the way the operate, i mean how do we expect him to deal with hardened criminals who will obviously like the more 'civilised' approach so they wriggle out of their predicament by negotiating.

31 out of 36 governors* and hundreds of assistant where exactly can they start, how can they arrest all of them within a month.

Hot air or perhaps he ran out of steam already? naija frustration no get part deux

anyway lets wait and see
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by denex: 2:45am On Jun 25, 2007
They should just let all of them roam at large for the next 2 years before tackling their matter one by one.

Except Luck of course. Lucky Igbinedion must be quarantined and dealt with ASAP. Since the state money used in celebrating his father's birthday for complete 8 years cannot be recovered, we could try to convert 80% shares in Igbinedion University and Independent Television. Afterall, it's state funds that have developed those in the past 8 years.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by debosky(m): 2:50am On Jun 25, 2007
Nuhu Ribadu was fond of rabble rousing and boasting, the time has come for him to act now, yet we haven't seen much.

I guess he now realises its not as easy as all the noise we were hearing earlier to put a case together against rich and influential people who still have hands in the establishment of the current government.

I still believe it is too early to say too much, but the refunds are a first step if they truly are happening, we do not want to simply lock them up and end up losing all the funds to foreign countries and start another Abacha loot recovery session. If indeed the aim is to first recoup the stolen funds, then prosecute later, we should allow them to continue the work. Yar'Adua has not come out boldly to back Ribadu - till he does that he will not have the kind of authority he had under Obj who gave him near unconditional backing for his work. I do not blame him though, the just ended strike and other issues of setting up his government will probably be more important in his mind than chasing his ex buddies at the guv's forum.

Time will tell, and soon too.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by chidichris(m): 10:55am On Jun 25, 2007
Ribadu is a good movie actor and i wonder why he is yet to find his fit in the nollywood. pete edochie and rmd are all good but ribadu is better because the way he interprets scripts make it look real than the writter can even imagine.
Orji Uzo this, orji uzo that but let us wait till may 29 but orji started waiting for the efcc at least three days to may 29 he removed his cloths of immunity and stood up for the task ahead.
we shld all remember that orji was talking about obj when he was president let ribadu attack him so that he will tell nigerians what they are yet to hear about obj.
yar adua and obj are stepping with caution.
all the ex-govs know things we don't know so random arrests can expose or even explode the country.
they are all guilty and they are all out of immunity so anyone can go down but above all, as a good actor, ribadu cannot try to bite the finger that is feeding him.
from the unset, i know he is not what he claims.
real people like okonjo iweala could not exist alongside obj.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by angel101(f): 11:04am On Jun 25, 2007
denex:

They should just let all of them roam at large for the next 2 years before tackling their matter one by one.

Except Luck of course. Lucky Igbinedion must be quarantined and dealt with ASAP. Since the state money used in celebrating his father's birthday for complete 8 years cannot be recovered, we could try to convert 80% shares in Igbinedion University and Independent Television. Afterall, it's state funds that have developed those in the past 8 years.
I seriously doubt that ur suggestion will be feasible cos I know for a fact that in Nigeria things are quickly forgotten and important events over taken by new intrigues which creep up avey single day!
Much as i totally Loathe Lucky Igbinedion for what he has done to my state, why would u advocate double standards in dealing with the issue of corruption among the govs? Lucky most certainly should be dealt with ASAP and same with all others!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by denex: 11:57am On Jun 25, 2007
Well Lucky should be given preferential treatment because of the impunity with which he robbed Edo state.

There was a day I went to Ring Road in Benin last year and I saw that the Ring Road roundabout and the pavements had been painted, leading all the way to Lucky's Father's house. That was when I remembered it was daddy's birthday again.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by angel101(f): 12:23pm On Jun 25, 2007
LOL!! cheesy
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by mazaje(m): 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2007
The vice presidents wife was involved in money laundering too so Yar adua and Ribadu have to trade very very carefully else they destroy the very house in which they are living in.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 6:00pm On Jun 25, 2007
I don't know why you guys are still talking about EFCC.

The organization is finished. No one knows the current status of Ribadu with the federal government, no one even knows whether EFCC still exist in Nigeria or not.

I've stated this in the past, a one man show organization usually doesn't last.
Instead of one man show operation, EFCC as an organization should have been structured as a team concept, this way even if Ridabu is condemned of anything, the organization can still move on without any hesitation.

EFCC has reached the dead end, all because of OBJ and RIBADU.
A typical Nigerian way of thinking and operation. No one thinks about the future or perfection. It all about wuruwuru, magomago and pafpaf.

it is a shame, sad and total lack of direction!

Please, let's talk about something constructive. EFCC is a dead state of mind.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 7:31pm On Jun 25, 2007
I know why you are celebrating

But you might be celebrating just too early.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by fromuk(m): 7:40pm On Jun 25, 2007
The bottom line is that EFCC was formed to do a job and the job is done, if they scrap the useless organisation it makes no meaning as they have done their job and done it well.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by feelgood(m): 12:04am On Jun 26, 2007
I actually think we r reading d situation wrongly. We r forgetting that yar Adua's style is different & pple under him must adjust accordingly. I suspect the crooks are being given a false sense of security 2 enable them cough out the loot before the strike.
It is foolhardy to call the tiger weak because it's first steps towards the prey are slow.
There shall b a lot of surprises - even the foxy obj is wary of this tiger & not fooled. Watch pple
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by Beline(f): 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2007
feelgood:

I actually think we r reading d situation wrongly. We r forgetting that yar Adua's style is different & people under him must adjust accordingly. I suspect the crooks are being given a false sense of security 2 enable them cough out the loot before the strike.
It is foolhardy to call the tiger weak because it's first steps towards the prey are slow.
There shall b a lot of surprises - even the foxy obj is wary of this tiger & not fooled. Watch people

we are watching!!!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 1:50pm On Jun 26, 2007
Posted by McKren:
I know why you are celebrating

But you might be celebrating just too early.

I'm happy that you do.
There is only one king (God) and he has given us the permission to celebrate. There is nothing anyone could do about it, the celebration continues forever and ever.

Sorry!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by DisGuy: 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2007
Big B1:

Posted by McKren:
I'm happy that you do.
There is only one king (God) and he has given us the permission to celebrate. There is nothing anyone could do about it, the celebration continues forever and ever.

Sorry!

abacha's family said the same thing wink
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 2:35pm On Jun 26, 2007
See?
One of typical Nigerian ways "we love to speculate on nothing"

What does Abacha's family got to do with this matter?

Ridiculous and unbelievable.

@ DisGuy, please go somewhere
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 3:15pm On Jun 26, 2007
@McKren:

Believe it or not, I do understand your sincere love for Ribadu, infact I share the same feeling. But if we truly crave for a developed Nigeria, we should also be sincere enough to identify inefficiency, inconsistency, failure and ineffectiveness.

Ribadu had the fullest authority to successfully carry out his duties accordingly, but he did not, he allowed people to use him as political police dog. Infact Ribadu has a lot to do with the crisis in Oyo State, Anambra and he is the main reason why none of these governors has been arrested as yet.

If he had done his job accordingly, this new administration wouldn't have been hesitant to arrest these thieves, But Mr Ribadu and OBJ did such a sludgy unprofessional job that it will be irrational for Yar'Adua to follow the same steps.

And Kudos to Yar'Adua for taking his time. It just doesn't make any sense to follow pure failure.

Hence I totally blame Ribadu, not even OBJ.

(but I still love him and I continue to admire his pure determination and I also wish him well)
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 4:02pm On Jun 26, 2007
By EFCC's Ribadu, I am referring to Nuhu Ribadu, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) helmsman. The EFCC is the anti-graft body set up by erstwhile Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo to tackle graft but it ended up as his toy, tackling his enemies - imaginary and otherwise and championing his third term agenda by remote. For anything that has to do with President Obasanjo always had a sinister agenda. The rest as they say is history.

Corruption in Nigeria has reached a crescendo, has reached a point of no return. Everything in Nigeria is corrupt, drinking water is corrupt, the air is corrupted, and even foetuses are corrupt. President Olusegun Obasanjo in an attempt to tackle this corruption set up the EFCC but this process as can now be seen was corrupt. Not all Nigerians are corrupt, there are but decent Nigerians in all endeavours of life, there are Nigerians that have and will sacrifice their lives for the betterment of the country. These decent Nigerians lauded the establishment of EFCC; this lauding I had always believed was a bit premature, for EFCC was yet to prove its mettle. But in the euphoria of fighting corruption, tackling the beast heads on for once, these decent Nigerians dropped their guard. How can anything good come from President Olusegun Obasanjo? A seventy something year old election rigger.

Since nothing good can come from President Obasanjo, I had my reservations about EFCC as headed by Nuhu Ribadu. Ribadu started by making noises here and there, started by making some high profile arrests, which at the end of the day amounted to nothing but a slap on the wrist like the conviction of Tafa Balogun, the former Inspector General of Police. Ribadu at a time blamed the law courts for frustrating his efforts in sanitising the country. Again, the rest as they say is history.

A couple of cases deepened this reservation I had about Ribadu, such cases include but not limited to: -

The disappearance into thing air of Obasanjo's golden boy, former Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti state after impeachment till date. EFCC with all the security paraphernalia at its disposal kept mute.

The disappearance of former Governor Joshua Dariye of Plateau state in Nigeria after his first impeachment. EFCC kept mute.
advertisement

The indictment of Obasanjo's right hand man, Commodore Bode George for his nefarious activities at Nigerian Ports Authority. EFCC kept mute.

Andy Uba's money laundering case with the US authorities. EFCC kept mute

Indictment of Obasanjo's cousin, Dr Julius Makanjuola for his criminal acts at the Federal Ministry of Defence. EFCC kept mute.

The removal of Obasanjo's acolytes from the names of EFCC indicted politicians. Ribadu kept mute

Ribadu's naïve attempt at supporting Paul Wolfowitz, former President of the World Bank.
The list goes on and on. But one case in particular, where Nuhu Ribadu and hence EFCC kept mute that greatly deepened my reservation as to his sincerity of purpose, his devotion to duty, his allegiance to Nigeria or to Obasanjo was the electoral case between Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu and Ugochukwu Uba. Ugochukwu Uba is the elder brother to Andy Uba, Obasanjo's man-Friday.

Chukwudi Nwokoye writing in Nigeriaworld.com on Saturday June 02, 2007 graphically presented the case as below: -

"We have also not forgotten that in 2003, Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu contested and won the Anambra South Senatorial Election as he was on the ballot as the candidate of PDP. However, when the result was released by INEC, his name got replaced by Dr. Ugochukwu Uba. Same fate was suffered by Chief (Mrs) Joy Emordi (Anambra North) and Chief Ben Obi (Anambra Central).
All three of them proceeded to the Election Tribunal and won after a very rigorous challenge. When their cases went to the Court of Appeal, both Chief Joy Emordi and Chief Ben Obi won their cases. However, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba appealed to the Court of Appeal against the judgment obtained by Ukachukwu. Meanwhile, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba had been sworn in as a Senator. The matter came before the Court of Appeal of three Justices: Hon. Justice Okwuchukwu Opene, Hon. Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji and Hon. Justice Kumai Bayang Akaahs who disagreed among themselves. Two of the Justices Hon. Justice Okwuchukwu Opene and Hon. Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji gave judgment to Dr. Ugochukwu Uba and the third Justice, Hon. Justice Kumai Bayang Akaahs, the youngest of them disagreed and dissented and gave judgment to Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu. After the appeal, the National Judicial Council (NJC) received petitions that two of the three Justices took bribe.

The National Judicial Council established under Section 153 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 set up a committee headed by late Justice Kolawole a retired Justice of the Court of Appeal. After a thorough investigation by the Committee it was found that Justice Okwuchukwu Opene who presided at the Court of Appeal took a bribe of N15,000,000.00 (Fifteen million Naira) and Justice David Adedoyin Adeniji took a bribe of N12,000,000.00 (Twelve million Naira) and three unascertained Ghana-must-Go bags. To this date, it was only the takers of the bribe that suffered consequences as they had their careers as justices ruined and their good names ruined. The givers of the bribe still walk free. Even the beneficiary of the judgment, Dr. Ugochukwu Uba, is still serving as a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and still has until 3rd June to complete a mandate stolen from Prince Nicholas Ukachukwu."

That two Appeal Court Judges were sanctioned and retired by the National Judicial Council for receiving bribe whereas EFCC did nothing to the giver of the bribe till date showed that Ribadu is a compromised umpire. The man Ribadu is a Nigerian after all, Obasanjo's hatchet man and nothing else. Hence my deep reservation about him.

To further strengthen my reserved views on Ribadu, the man who was threatening hellfire to governors (once they loose their immunity) like a medieval theologian of the fire and brimstone variety to now being having negotiated settlements with them says it all. I do not know any where in the world where criminals are offered negotiated settlements except in Ribadu's Nigeria.

Nuhu Ribadu, Odenigbo's reservation all this time about you and your intentions have been proved right, please go like your master, Obasanjo. Nigeria deserves better if that war against corruption must be won. Otherwise, it is business as usual.

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2007/jun/143.html
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 9:36pm On Jun 26, 2007
@McKren:

This is the problem with you, you tend to dissipate pretty quickly after being smacked around for just few minutes.

I challenge you to come and proof that Ribadu hasn't contributed to the down fall of war against corruption in Nigeria today.

War against corruption, a wonderful implementation that was mismanaged by a misguided chairman.

You tell me, who is to blame?
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by MILITIA(f): 9:39pm On Jun 26, 2007
@Topic

Wetin be the difference between the two of them?----------- ---Scratching my arse!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 11:10pm On Jun 26, 2007
BigB1

You know that am obviously not running away from you, when you have a leader doing your wish in his desperate search for acceptance. All your claims will easily be confused as right.
Defending Ribadu is what I love to do, and I will always do it. In fact whenever I have the honour to tell my kids about "Heros of Nigeria" who tried to make a difference. Ribadu will be part of that list.

But trying to convince you (BigB1) to appreciate Ribadu, is an excersice in futility. And I am not going to attempt it. It is obvious that the Children of Alams, Tafa Balogun, and all those Ribadu brought down will simply not have kind words for him. I do understand that because I don't know if I will have kind words for him if I am one.

However, what needs to be done needs to be done.
I don't know what you mean by Ribadu undermining the Anti-Corruption War, I have always asked you to produce one Innocent person Ribadu has prosecuted and till date you have not.
Please don't bore me with talks of Selectivity, Ribadu is a professional and it is not his duty to keep inventory of those you consider friends or enemies of President. Those he was able to establish facts againts he prosecuted, those he was not able to he is still investigating. If there is any person you think is corrupt and should be prosecuted, it is your duty as a patriotic Nigerian  to furnish the EFCC and the Police with any dosiers you have on that person or remain silent. Ribadu is not going to prosecute anybody he has not been able to establish cases against merely because there is an unsubstantiated public perception that the person is corrupt. Courts don't do public opinnion or logic, they do facts.
No one in the history of this Nation has fought corruption the way Ribadu did, if Yaradua decides to demobilise EFCC I wish him luck. But then Ribadu will hold his head up high knowing he gave it his best shut.

But like I always tell you, you might just be celebrating too early. It is only 1 month into Yaradua's Government and I wont like to speculate on his policy direction. I am waiting for his official Cabinet list, then we will know if his loyalty is to Nigeria or the hawks.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 12:54am On Jun 27, 2007
@McKren:
Obviously you love Ribadu and it is true that love is blind; this is also why you've found it very difficult to figure out what Mr Ribadu did wrong or how he refused to carry out his duties accordingly during his time as chairman of the EFCC.

Yes, you're absolutely correct that the man tried his best, and his best has also created an obstacle for this new administration. Hence his best represents failure.
This man had everything to exercise his duty successfully, but of course he was misguided and blew this opportunity. At the end of the day, there is absolutely nothing to show for all his operations.

Believe it or not, this new administration is currently struggling with some decisions just because of Ribadu and OBJ's fake war against corruption.

It is crystal clear to all (except McKren) that the job was sloppy and totally unprofessional.

With folks like you around, people like Ribadu will never get to see or understand what they've done incorrectly or how to improve.
If we, Nigerians embrace perfection in everything that we do, 90% of our problems will be solved immediately.
But folks like you, McKren refuse to understand this fact.

It's all about wuruwuru, magomago, pafpaf and short cuts; and at the end of the day the outcome will be a fat zero as usual.

Go to Abuja and ask anybody and they will let you know that the governors (thieves) have not been arrested all because of Mr Ribadu's incredible accomplishment.

Give me a break.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 1:04am On Jun 27, 2007
@McKren

We will never attain the mountain peak being selective.

Discrimination is a crime!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 7:43am On Jun 27, 2007
Stop using the word selective cos you dont understand the meaning

You can fool those you want to fool not me.

Your personal grudges with Ribadu is for attempting to touch Nigeria's untouchable, IBB.

Prove me wrong if you can.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 2:09pm On Jun 27, 2007
@McKren:

Could you please introduce to me the meaning of "selective"

Deep down, Mr Ribadu understands his mistakes and pretty soon he will publicly accept the responsibility like a man and then move on.
FYI:I have nothing to gain or lose if IBB is touched; hence there is absolutely nothing for me to prove.

Too many are Too corrupt for Too long. If you can not punish all, then it makes no sense to punish any.
This is the fact and the latest in Abuja; the most intelligent and effective way of addressing war against corruption.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by angel101(f): 2:19pm On Jun 27, 2007
feelgood:

I actually think we r reading d situation wrongly. We r forgetting that yar Adua's style is different & people under him must adjust accordingly. I suspect the crooks are being given a false sense of security 2 enable them cough out the loot before the strike.
There shall b a lot of surprises - even the foxy obj is wary of this tiger & not fooled. Watch people
I hope u're right.

@BigB1 & McKren
I beg to disagree with u. while i agree that Ribadu was selective in dealing with corruption, i believe he did the job to best of his ability. Abi u go do pass wetin ur master send u? he was acting on instructions and could not do otherwise. EFCC was not an independent body. shikena!
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 2:40pm On Jun 27, 2007
angel101:

I hope u're right.

@BigB1 & McKren
I beg to disagree with u. while i agree that Ribadu was selective in dealing with corruption, i believe he did the job to best of his ability. Abi u go do pass wetin your master send u? he was acting on instructions and could not do otherwise. EFCC was not an independent body. shikena!

Very reasonable comment.
EFCC was not independent agreed, not because Ribadu did not want to be independent but because Presidency had every right to fire the EFCC boss without explanation. That is the unfortunate nature of the act setting up EFCC. While I do agree that EFCC was not independent the talk of selectivity does not hold water with me.
Because Ribadu went against Tafa Balogun against the wishes of OBJ. And a lot of politicians considered friends of OBJ. When EFCC indicts any they will tell you the politician in question picked up a quarell with the President the previous night that was why EFCC went after him. Politicians indulging in all sorts of pettiness to justify their impunity.
Where else in the world will a public officer justify his being corrupt because the other person is coorupt except in Nigeria. That is BigB1's idea of perfect Nigeria or perfect strategy.

Ken Nnamani attempted to make EFCC independent by making it necessary to require 2/3 majority of both house of assembly to remove the EFCC boss, why did the House of Representatives not ratify it? Why did they not help make EFCC independent if they mean well for Nigeria

Now we have our EFCC learning to do cash-for-freedom bargain. That is BigB1's and Mr. Listening President's new idea of fighting corruption effectively.

The new Governors should simply loot as much as they can so that they will have enough money to negotiate cash-for-freedom deal.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by BigB11(m): 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
Posted by angel101:
@BigB1 & McKren
I beg to disagree with u. while i agree that Ribadu was selective in dealing with corruption, i believe he did the job to best of his ability. Abi u go do pass wetin your master send u? he was acting on instructions and could not do otherwise. EFCC was not an independent body. shikena!

@Angel101

Excellent point; which means Ribadu wasn't really fighting to delete corruption in Nigeria. He was only following the instruction from his master> This is also one of the reasons he has been labelled as a political police dog.

So, Mr. McKren, stop preaching rubbish.
If the goal was to clean up and completely delete corruption in Nigeria, then Ribadu would have produced a little bit more and his duties would have been more effective.
I haven't seen any solid benefit from Ribadu's era as yet; I truly believe that he created more confusion than anything else.

He's responsible for the crisis in Oyo state, Anambra and he has created the delay and the reason why none of these governors has been arrested.
Re: Who Is To Be Blamed? Nuhu Or Umaru by McKren(m): 2:57pm On Jun 27, 2007
He's responsible for the crisis in Oyo state, Anambra and he has created the delay and the reason why none of these governors has been arrested

That sums up how misguided your argument is and your desperate attempt to blackmail Ribadu at all cost.

Ribadu did not play any role in the impeachment of Ladoja and Peter Obi.

If anything he thought Adebibu and Alao Akala were not fit to be leaders.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discovery Of The Century / Oil Minister In Oil Business / Legislators Adjust Laws To Favour Inec !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.