Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant (7961 Views)

FG Commissions 450 Metric Tons Cassava Processing Plant In Rivers / Ogun State Revives Dormant Imasayi Cashew Nut Processing Plant / The Birth Of A New 3ton Per Day Garri Processing Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by donguutti: 8:07am On Nov 11, 2020
Nice job
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Obakovicho: 8:09am On Nov 11, 2020
Earthstorms:

I budgeted 5 million naira for it. 3.7 million for the main machines, 1.3 million for the supporting machines.

Can you link me to the person doing yours

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by JoeCool3150(m): 8:35am On Nov 11, 2020
Earthstorms:
Just trying to multitask.

First set of machine installation is ongoing as we try to complete the building.

Now we have to wait for the machine concrete base to harden then we can cement the entire floor.

We have a request for the electronics engineers in the house.

We want to run a 3- phase motor with single phase 220 volt AC supply. Can you build an inverter that can achieve that?

My first contact in China can only build it up to 22KW output, I want a 50 KW output.

As a guide, think of rectifying the AC current into DC current. Smoothen the rectified DC voltage with suitable capacitors, then invert the DC voltage into 3 phase AC voltages, with 120 degree phase angles between each phase.

If the value of the capacitors requires is too large, consider using supercapacitors.

Hit me up if you are up to the project, I should be able to do it but I don't have the time. I am willing to sponsor the project if you can convince me that you know what to do.

You might be wondering why we want to run 3 phase motor with single phase AC supply, well in Nigeria it is common to have one or two phases without power, if we rely on having 3 phase supply all the time then there will be many occasions when we can not work because all three phases does not have power supply. We want to be able to run our operations with single phase if that is what is available
If this village has a steady power supply, then why are you spending precious funds on this na? U can focus on pressing issues first for now. What's d name of d village in Delta State Sir?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 10:15am On Nov 11, 2020
JoeCool3150:

If this village has a steady power supply, then why are you spending precious funds on this na? U can focus on pressing issues first for now. What's d name of d village in Delta State Sir?

I was thinking of how to reduce startup cost.

I can run only live and neutral wires if I am using a single phase only. That will save me some money now. And it will come in useful if a phase goes bad in the transformer. The power distribution company guy working on the wiring says I should plan for cases when they can not provide 3 phase power to me.

Also looking at this now keys into one of my future project on renewable energy supply that will produce inverters and lithium storage batteries in Nigeria for off grid power solution.

4 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 10:15am On Nov 11, 2020
Obakovicho:

Can you link me to the person doing yours

Yes

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Obakovicho: 10:37am On Nov 11, 2020
Earthstorms:

Yes
Number please
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 11:57am On Nov 11, 2020
Obakovicho:

Number please

Sent you a pm
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Obakovicho: 12:04pm On Nov 11, 2020
Earthstorms:

Sent you a pm
Replied
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by bull67: 5:09pm On Nov 11, 2020
this is great. how can i start on a small scale? will 2 million be alright?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 8:33pm On Nov 11, 2020
bull67:

2 million will not be enough.

The machines alone is more than 2 million. Then you have to think of the place to keep the machines and the buying of raw materials

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Ufuoma10: 11:04am On Nov 13, 2020
bull67:

With 2million, you should go for raw materials.
Settling a standard factory cost more.

You could enjoy your 2million if there is a stable factory

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 12:05pm On Nov 13, 2020
bull67:

Ufuoma10:

With 2million, you should go for raw materials.
Settling a standard factory cost more.

You could enjoy your 2million if there is a stable factory

Ufuoma10 suggestion is good.

Bull67 can go into supply of raw materials. He will make profit from it and also gain experience on the business.

He can also buy finished products like pko or palm kernel cake and supply to buyers.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:30pm On Nov 13, 2020
Earthstorms:

I was thinking of how to reduce startup cost.

I can run only live and neutral wires if I am using a single phase only. That will save me some money now. And it will come in useful if a phase goes bad in the transformer. The power distribution company guy working on the wiring says I should plan for cases when they can not provide 3 phase power to me.

Also looking at this now keys into one of my future project on renewable energy supply that will produce inverters and lithium storage batteries in Nigeria for off grid power solution.

Please Sir, I am currently working on a project. Power is an indispensable factor and my machines need 3 phase to power. Now, going by the issues with electricity here, 3 phase isn't guaranteed and if issues come up, most maintenance cost will be on me as other consumers are contented with a single phase supply...I am interested in this your smart solution if it is cheap, durable and sustainable please...
Btw I am just a businessman trying to minimize cost and manouver business challenge

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Juwonmania(m): 2:48pm On Nov 13, 2020
bull67:
Pm me sir...
I have a location we can use, and I have someone who can sell a machine for us while we make deposit and balance later.
We should have 1 million plus for raw material from your capital.
Let's discuss on 08053760698 if you are serious sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by bull67: 5:28pm On Nov 13, 2020
thanks, i do things with my wife, both of us will put our money together, then we can start
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Juwonmania(m): 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2020
bull67:
thanks, i do things with my wife, both of us will put our money together, then we can start
d
Smiles...
Anyways, if you need machines or any man power requirement, am at your service
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 12:04am On Nov 14, 2020
Whynotthetruth:

Please Sir, I am currently working on a project. Power is an indispensable factor and my machines need 3 phase to power. Now, going by the issues with electricity here, 3 phase isn't guaranteed and if issues come up, most maintenance cost will be on me as other consumers are contented with a single phase supply...I am interested in this your smart solution if it is cheap, durable and sustainable please...
Btw I am just a businessman trying to minimize cost and manouver business challenge

What is the maximum load you intend to run.

The preliminary design shows that we can run a 22 KW 415volt three phase load with a single phase 230 volt input.

The system should cost less than 1000 usd, but it is not concluded since I need it to power up to 50KW 3-phase load. They have not been able to come up with a suitable design.

I bought a similar inverter for a 2.2 KW load earlier in the year for less than 200 usd so the price will depend on your load rating
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:24am On Nov 15, 2020
Earthstorms:

What is the maximum load you intend to run.

The preliminary design shows that we can run a 22 KW 415volt three phase load with a single phase 230 volt input.

The system should cost less than 1000 usd, but it is not concluded since I need it to power up to 50KW 3-phase load. They have not been able to come up with a suitable design.

I bought a similar inverter for a 2.2 KW load earlier in the year for less than 200 usd so the price will depend on your load rating

First, apologies I don't know or understand all these electrical "jargons"...

Then, I have a 10 horsepower compressor engine with 7.5 and 5.5. I have plans of upgrading the 7.5 and 5.5 to higher capacity compressors if things goes on well as planned... Currently, I use a 40kva Gen to power them though I don't put them all on at same time for fear of overloading the generator...

Please can this your system work efficiently for me too? And what would the cost implication be like? How durable is this system? Any side effects or negative implication or outcome expected?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by AgricLady(f): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2020
Hi Earthstroms, Can I contact you? I have a similar machine set up going on in the east.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 10:11pm On Nov 18, 2020
AgricLady:
Hi Earthstroms, Can I contact you? I have a similar machine set up going on in the east.

No.worries

2 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by AgricLady(f): 12:44pm On Nov 19, 2020
can you please drop your whatsapp contact?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2020
Just to bring some update.

Work has been ongoing. First machine installation is almost complete.

3 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by sufficientfoods: 1:49am On Dec 12, 2020
I must commend what you're doing and still encourage you to do more despite the harsh economic realities in Nigeria now . Palm Kernel Oil processing is definitely one thing I've got my eyes on for a long time but as a novice to the business, I need a detail business plan and professional advice on how to go about it . I am currently in Imo , I don't know if you can link me up with someone since you've got experience on it already.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 10:39pm On Dec 13, 2020
sufficientfoods:
I must commend what you're doing and still encourage you to do more despite the harsh economic realities in Nigeria now . Palm Kernel Oil processing is definitely one thing I've got my eyes on for a long time but as a novice to the business, I need a detail business plan and professional advice on how to go about it . I am currently in Imo , I don't know if you can link me up with someone since you've got experience on it already.

What do you want to know?

Palm kernel business is big in some parts of Imo state. There used to be large scale processing of palm kernel between Elele in Rivers State and Owerri in Imo state, I guess that will still be the case today

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 12:30am On Dec 14, 2020
Well setting up a business is demanding.

It seems things just keep changing.

I was thinking we could start with a few tonnes of palm kernel oil production per day, turns out we need to get a minimum of 10 tons of palm kernel oil before we can get buyers to pick up the oil from the factory. So we had to get extra storage tanks. That means larger sum of working capital since more kernel is required.

So we now have to increase the storage capacity to 12 tons for oil.

The exciting part has been the automation part.

Writing software codes to automate the pumps, manage the oil settling, to keep digital track of all produced liquids.

Microcontrollers has really made automation easy. Automation is the way to go, machines don't complain, they don't complain, just feed them electricity and they run non stop.

Now just two main problem remain

1. Reliable supply of palm kernel.

2. Reliable buyers of palm kernel cake.

I will try and post some pictures of the setup we have come up with.

3 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by ChikingMedia: 3:03am On Dec 14, 2020
this is a nice concept and i believe you will make it in no distances time as i can see how focused you are and a big thank you for sharing avery step with us and we are following. All the best bro

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by IRIENBOY(m): 8:00am On Dec 14, 2020
Nice work
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 10:42am On Dec 14, 2020
Earthstorms:
Well setting up a business is demanding.

It seems things just keep changing.

I was thinking we could start with a few tonnes of palm kernel oil production per day, turns out we need to get a minimum of 10 tons of palm kernel oil before we can get buyers to pick up the oil from the factory. So we had to get extra storage tanks. That means larger sum of working capital since more kernel is required.

So we now have to increase the storage capacity to 12 tons for oil.

The exciting part has been the automation part.

Writing software codes to automate the pumps, manage the oil settling, to keep digital track of all produced liquids.

Microcontrollers has really made automation easy. Automation is the way to go, machines don't complain, they don't complain, just feed them electricity and they run non stop.

Now just two main problem remain

1. Reliable supply of palm kernel.

2. Reliable buyers of palm kernel cake.

I will try and post some pictures of the setup we have come up with.

I taught you should have handle 85% of the above challenges before starting the set

It's a very lucrative business but the major challenge is reliable supplyers of the kennel. Many ran out of the business because of this problem.
Some will collect money without supplying the kennel
Some will supply substandard kennel
Some will supply very very late
Some will supply less than what you paid for

What is new now is SEE AS YOU PAY

I wish you the best

5 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 11:35am On Dec 14, 2020
BoluwGoldenFarm:

I taught you should have handle 85% of the above challenges before starting the set

It's a very lucrative business but the major challenge is reliable supplyers of the kennel. Many ran out of the business because of this problem.
Some will collect money without supplying the kennel
Some will supply substandard kennel
Some will supply very very late
Some will supply less than what you paid for

What is new now is SEE AS YOU PAY

I wish you the best

We have kernel processors around, but we don't want to buy kernel from individual kernel crackers, we want to setup a chain of reliable kernel suppliers. The cost from suppliers will be 20 to 30% more expensive than buying from individual crackers but that bring in better reliability. We have a few suppliers now but we will need more to get reliable and constant supply.

We do not intend to pay anyone upfront for kernel. We will do same day payment. We will pay same day immediately the supply is made.

Getting reliable buyers for the cake has been a bit more challenging. You can't have it all, we are nearer to kernel supply and have access to more reliable electricity supply, but farther from industrial hubs in the East and in the West, so it is getting a bit more difficult to get committed buyers for the produced palm kernel cake.

We will overcome these with time I believe, moreso as we intend to do price matching. We intend to give buyers at the lowest price they can get for same quality and quantity.

2 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 11:43am On Dec 14, 2020
We have been sorting out the automation part

We are using the automation part as a fun project and to prepare for future opportunities.

We plan using several sensors

Proximity sensors for liquid volume control and kernel feeding control. For these we will be using infrared proximity sensors and ultrasonic proximity sensors.

Each sensor will have a backup sensor, the coding will make the backup sensor to be operational if the main sensor fail.
Floating Magnetic switches for liquid level control
Float switches for liquid level control
Resistivity sensors to detect water column height in the separation tanks and the presence of water in stored oil. We really don't want water in the oil tanks and a sensor for the presence of water in the tanks will help correct that.

Initial coding and testing is done using an arduino, we intend to use a raspberry pi for the development to be able to have better online access to the sensors data.

Anyway, this is low budget automation. So let's see how long it will survive in the factory before failing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by danwa25(m): 2:04pm On Dec 14, 2020
Pls how much does it cost to construct the building

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All Poultry And Fish Farmers Need To See This / Invest With Farm Crowdy / Plantain sucker available national wide delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.