Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,348 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant (7971 Views)

FG Commissions 450 Metric Tons Cassava Processing Plant In Rivers / Ogun State Revives Dormant Imasayi Cashew Nut Processing Plant / The Birth Of A New 3ton Per Day Garri Processing Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2020
danwa25:
Pls how much does it cost to construct the building

The building is not completed, we still have the cladding, plastering and painting to be outstanding. We even intend to cut off a part to use as office. But we have spent over 3 million naira on it already.

2 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by ChikingMedia: 10:23pm On Dec 25, 2020
hello guys , Earthstorms any update on your progress? please am looking forward for your update.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Frezhkid10(m): 6:53am On Dec 26, 2020
Earthstorms:
Well setting up a business is demanding.

It seems things just keep changing.

I was thinking we could start with a few tonnes of palm kernel oil production per day, turns out we need to get a minimum of 10 tons of palm kernel oil before we can get buyers to pick up the oil from the factory. So we had to get extra storage tanks. That means larger sum of working capital since more kernel is required.

So we now have to increase the storage capacity to 12 tons for oil.

The exciting part has been the automation part.

Writing software codes to automate the pumps, manage the oil settling, to keep digital track of all produced liquids.

Microcontrollers has really made automation easy. Automation is the way to go, machines don't complain, they don't complain, just feed them electricity and they run non stop.

Now just two main problem remain

1. Reliable supply of palm kernel.

2. Reliable buyers of palm kernel cake.

I will try and post some pictures of the setup we have come up with.
You automated the locally fabricated machines??
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 7:38am On Dec 26, 2020
ChikingMedia:
hello guys , Earthstorms any update on your progress? please am looking forward for your update.

Oh, I thought no one was interested in my story anymore

We have completed the installation of the first production line. This has a capacity of 10 ton per day. We made a few production runs to test the machines, we got about 40% oil yield as a percentage of the weight of kernel crushed.

Installation of the 2nd production line is to commence in the 3rd week of January. That we bring the installed capacity to 20 tons per day. We hope to have 50 ton per day capacity achieved by May, 2021.

We have been working on the automation.
The automation is in form of automatic control for 3 pumps and automatic sensing and volume calculation of oil and water in 7 tanks,

The 3 pumps will be used as follows, one will take oil from the crusher to the unfiltered oil storage tank, another pump will pump oil through the filters and a 3rd pump to send filtered oil to storage.

Each of the tanks will have oil level sensors and water level sensors.

We needed digital sensors for the oil high level and low level sending. For these we are using the small switches used in arduino projects. The float switches will be connected to the inside wall of the tanks. Sensor readings taken 10 times per second was found to be adequate for the pump control.

A back up sensor is needed to prevent overfilling of the tanks in case of liquid level sensor failure. For this we are using a ultrasonic proximity sensor to detect the top of the liquid. This was found to be accurate from 2cm to 2 m. We tied using an infrared proximity sensor but the accuracy range was not ideal. The infrared proximity sensor was accurate from 9 cm to 40 cm.

We also want to have a digital record of the volume of stored oil at all times and for this we are using the ultrasonic proximity sensor to detect the liquid surface. This will be used in calcution of the stored volume continually.

We are somehow getting apprehensive. The project is ready, we can buy kernel and start production but the price of kernel is currently crazy high. The suppliers are asking for 180k per ton. We expect the price to drop in January, so buying high price kernel now is a bit dicey, do we buy or do we wait for lower priced kernel in January?

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Profmaojo: 8:42am On Dec 26, 2020
Earthstorms:
We will be needing regular supply of cracked palm kernel. Anyone interested in being a supplier should indicate interest

I am very much interested in being your supplier, are you still in need of one?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Profmaojo: 8:59am On Dec 26, 2020
Earthstorms:

Oh, I thought no one was interested in my story anymore

We have completed the installation of the first production line. This has a capacity of 10 ton per day. We made a few production runs to test the machines, we got about 40% oil yield as a percentage of the weight of kernel crushed.

Installation of the 2nd production line is to commence in the 3rd week of January. That we bring the installed capacity to 20 tons per day. We hope to have 50 ton per day capacity achieved by May, 2021.

We have been working on the automation.
The automation is in form of automatic control for 3 pumps and automatic sensing and volume calculation of oil and water in 7 tanks,

The 3 pumps will be used as follows, one will take oil from the crusher to the unfiltered oil storage tank, another pump will pump oil through the filters and a 3rd pump to send filtered oil to storage.

Each of the tanks will have oil level sensors and water level sensors.

We needed digital sensors for the oil high level and low level sending. For these we are using the small switches used in arduino projects. The float switches will be connected to the inside wall of the tanks. Sensor readings taken 10 times per second was found to be adequate for the pump control.

A back up sensor is needed to prevent overfilling of the tanks in case of liquid level sensor failure. For this we are using a ultrasonic proximity sensor to detect the top of the liquid. This was found to be accurate from 2cm to 2 m. We tied using an infrared proximity sensor but the accuracy range was not ideal. The infrared proximity sensor was accurate from 9 cm to 40 cm.

We also want to have a digital record of the volume of stored oil at all times and for this we are using the ultrasonic proximity sensor to detect the liquid surface. This will be used in calcution of the stored volume continually.

We are somehow getting apprehensive. The project is ready, we can buy kernel and start production but the price of kernel is currently crazy high. The suppliers are asking for 180k per ton. We expect the price to drop in January, so buying high price kernel now is a bit dicey, do we buy or do we wait for lower priced kernel in January?

talking about buying or waiting for lower priced Kernel, I will have to inform you that there is always going to be a little bit of insufficient kernel this period up till second week of January.

And will be very much available by March.

I am quite close to a lot of sources where palm oil production is their major occupation.

I would really wants to work with you but this really depend on how much you are willing to pay in which I won't run at a loss

I will be supplying you from Edo State and it is very close to Delta State

I will be expecting your reply

2 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Frezhkid10(m): 11:16am On Dec 26, 2020
Earthstorms:
Just trying to multitask.

First set of machine installation is ongoing as we try to complete the building.

Now we have to wait for the machine concrete base to harden then we can cement the entire floor.

We have a request for the electronics engineers in the house.

We want to run a 3- phase motor with single phase 220 volt AC supply. Can you build an inverter that can achieve that?

My first contact in China can only build it up to 22KW output, I want a 50 KW output.

As a guide, think of rectifying the AC current into DC current. Smoothen the rectified DC voltage with suitable capacitors, then invert the DC voltage into 3 phase AC voltages, with 120 degree phase angles between each phase.

If the value of the capacitors requires is too large, consider using supercapacitors.

Hit me up if you are up to the project, I should be able to do it but I don't have the time. I am willing to sponsor the project if you can convince me that you know what to do.

You might be wondering why we want to run 3 phase motor with single phase AC supply, well in Nigeria it is common to have one or two phases without power, if we rely on having 3 phase supply all the time then there will be many occasions when we can not work because all three phases does not have power supply. We want to be able to run our operations with single phase if that is what is available
..have u gotten a solution to this..I might have some ideas..how do I contact you?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 3:36pm On Dec 26, 2020
Profmaojo:
talking about buying or waiting for lower priced Kernel, I will have to inform you that there is always going to be a little bit of insufficient kernel this period up till second week of January.

And will be very much available by March.

I am quite close to a lot of sources where palm oil production is their major occupation.

I would really wants to work with you but this really depend on how much you are willing to pay in which I won't run at a loss

I will be supplying you from Edo State and it is very close to Delta State

I will be expecting your reply

I sent you a pm. We are still looking for suppliers.

For the business to survive, we will need reliable suppliers, that means our suppliers will have to be making profit from each supply. So we can work with you to ensure that all parties benefit.

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2020
Frezhkid10:
..have u gotten a solution to this..I might have some ideas..how do I contact you?

This is not resolved yet. Infact this week a phase was down and we had to switch to generator.

Can you give a summary of what your idea is?

Remember it should be able to power a 50kva 3-phase motor from a single phase.

But to make it easier, you can plan it with 2 phase input.

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by ChikingMedia: 5:44pm On Dec 26, 2020
@Earthstorms first of all compliment of the season and secondly i am one of your biggest fan and am your student, leaning from you my master.
I am praying for your success and please wait for the price to come dawn before buying.

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 7:53pm On Dec 26, 2020
ChikingMedia:
@Earthstorms first of all compliment of the season and secondly i am one of your biggest fan and am your student, leaning from you my master.
I am praying for your success and please wait for the price to come dawn before buying.

Thanks man
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Profmaojo: 8:04am On Dec 27, 2020
I just reply your pm
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by vaasiyanbi: 10:55am On Dec 31, 2020
This is really huge... I hope u have documented all this for a reliable buisness plan and opportunity.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by bayoadeyanju: 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2020
Can I have your phone number. Would love to learn some Automation from you and probably some palm kernel oil business.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Japz(m): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2021
Congratulations � @earthstorm. I wish you success in all your endeavors. I am currently in possession of a very large palm plantation. My aim is to start small with this plantation by going to a local mill to mill my palm kernel products to palm oil and after that more money must come and I’ll open up a large mill like you’re doing because of I already like 3 plots of land which I want to use to set up the mill sometime this year if God permits. Seeing that you’ve gone so far within a small period of time is a really good thing and I’m glad you’re succeeding. I want to know how we can work together and simultaneously that would profit the both of us. And I also want to have a good education on this palm oil business.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Timmi: 9:14am On Jan 11, 2021
Good day, I have been following this since you started. Can u show pictures of your setup and if u don’t mind I will want to visit your mill just to learn. I have 100-acre palm plantation in Edo state, though currently reside in Delta and looking at setting up a palm kernel milling operation. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by ChikingMedia: 3:27am On Feb 07, 2021
@ Earthstorms how are you doing , please we are expecting your update and progress and if possible pictures oooooo .Thanks and stay safe
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Silvereze(m): 4:06am On Feb 07, 2021
Hello @Earthstorms

I'm interested in buying your pko. How do I contact you let's discuss?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 4:59am On Feb 07, 2021
ChikingMedia:
@ Earthstorms how are you doing , please we are expecting your update and progress and if possible pictures oooooo .Thanks and stay safe

We have installed two production lines so far.

It has not been smooth sailing. So many teething problems. But things are looking better.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 4:59am On Feb 07, 2021
Will post some pictures later
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 5:00am On Feb 07, 2021
Silvereze:
Hello @Earthstorms

I'm interested in buying your pko. How do I contact you let's discuss?

Sent you a pm.

We have a few tons of pko presently
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 8:44am On Feb 07, 2021
Some pics

1 Like

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2021
The work has been tough on some occasions. Several unexpected problems came up.

1st was electricity, I needed 3 phase power. Well we had electricity but not what we needed. Of the 3 phase we needed, what was available were as follows, one phase was 220volts which is ok. The 2nd phase was zero volts which was not ok and the 3 phase was 445 volts, which was way too high. So we could not use the electricity for 6 weeks. Getting the electricity distribution company guys to come have a look at it was difficult. But that was sorted out a week ago. It turns out the made some wiring error at the transformer when it was installed long ago. People noticed the problem and simply moved to the single phase that was ok instead of solving the problem.

Well that is sorted out now.

While waiting for the electricity to be sorted out we tried using the back up engine to run the operations instead of waiting for electricity. That option allowed us to observe the problems with the crusher and the engine. Little frustrating teething problems kept springing up. Many of the problems would have been avoided if the equipment designer has been more professional.

Imagine using a dirty radiator to make a prime mover. The engine runs, but overheats, that took some time to decode and rectify.

The pulleys diameter were not appropriately sized and the locking keys to lock the pulleys in place keep coming off and disengaging the pulleys.

I had to send my welding machine to site and hire a welder to be correcting the design errors.

Crusher no.2 was installed last week. The making and delivery took 5 weeks. We also installed a hammer mill.

The pictures above shows the 1st crusher, the oil filter and the arduino based automation control system I was building.

The picture of the structure in the dark shows the state of things when electricity was connected at first. Then the structure was not completed. It is like a star in the midst of darkness. We have not started much production, just skeletal production to get everything working while waiting for new kernel season to commence, but at that we are already making some contribution to the society.

The challenges might be much but the past 4 months has been really progressive. In 4 months we completed the structure and installed 20ton per day production capacity. 30 ton per day capacity is what is remaining to complete this project.

The most important part is that it is a lifelong project that will continue to yield dividends in many years to come.

What have I learnt so far?

1. Workers: we had to choose between an inexperienced administrator who is straightforward and an experienced administrator who turned out to be a potential cheat. We chose the straightforward guy. We lost some time and by consequence from his inexperience but I am unable to stand cheats. Given the option again, I will still choose the inexperienced straightforward employee.

If you are an employee, don't try to steal from your employer or cheat your employer, it just makes the business more difficult for him. The life is hard enough, why add more troubles ?

2. Equipment reliability. The equipment were designed and built locally. The crusher cost about 50% of the cost of a used foreign made crusher. We had several problems getting the crusher to work. Little problems like wrong pulley sizes, wrong key sizes and dirty radiators meant that we had to spend valuable time finding and fixing those issues.

My verdict is that you should be technically sound to some extent or have a technically member in your team before using the locally fabricated machines. There are just too many little issues that can frustrate one if he is not able to understand the technical problems.

3. Community relations: we can not avoid this. They keep coming, some come to beg for employment others come to demand for it. Some come for free money. But I am not father Xmas so I can't give free money and I can not employ those I don't need. But we try to use as many people from within the local community as much as possible. It is cheaper for us and it is helpful to the community.

4. Raw materials supply. If you have money, you will get the raw materials that you need. Just allow your price to be competitive.

6. Do a business you understand. Learn about the business before starting but don't wait forever. You can learn from someone prior to starting or you can tell the equipment manufacturer to teach you. If you start without learning, be prepared to lose some money until you become an expert.

6 Likes

Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by future001: 7:01am On Feb 19, 2021
Hello Earthstorms,

I’m setting up a PKO also. Can we talk?
I have sent you a private message.
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 9:24am On Feb 19, 2021
future001:
Hello Earthstorms,

I’m setting up a PKO also. Can we talk?
I have sent you a private message.

I have replied your message
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Timmi: 1:52pm On Feb 19, 2021
I am working on setting up PkO mill. We have palm plantation near Okada along the Ore-Lagos highway. And we want to be processing our PKO. I will appreciate your assistance in equipment selection, getting a reliable fabricator, etc.

Do you have WhatsApp number that I can use to communicate with you? Thanks
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Earthstorms(m): 2:16pm On Feb 19, 2021
Timmi:
I am working on setting up PkO mill. We have palm plantation near Okada along the Ore-Lagos highway. And we want to be processing our PKO. I will appreciate your assistance in equipment selection, getting a reliable fabricator, etc.

Do you have WhatsApp number that I can use to communicate with you? Thanks

That is nice.

What do you want to do, you want to process palm kernel into crude palm kernel oil or do you already have palm kernel oil and want to process the palm kernel oil further?
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by future001: 5:37am On Feb 21, 2021
Earthstorms:

I have replied your message

Thanks. I have sent you my no. Let’s chat via WhatsApp
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by mansam15: 7:47am On Feb 21, 2021
How much kernel does it take to produce one tonne of PKO for you
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by felixzo1(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2021
mansam15:
How much kernel does it take to produce one tonne of PKO for you
2.4 tons
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by mansam15: 3:27pm On Feb 21, 2021
How does the cost of the Diesel engine compare to electric
felixzo1:
2.4 tons
Re: Creating A 50ton Per Day Palm Kernel Processing Plant by Timmi: 9:35am On Feb 23, 2021
I want to process the palm kernel into palm kernel oil. My palm plantation will supply the kernel and just want to setup a mill to process the kernels

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Plantain sucker available national wide delivery / Nigeria Government Approves N13bn For Rice, Cassava Mills / Which Specie Of Broiler Is The Best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.