Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Nri Kingdom (Igbo) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nri Kingdom (Igbo) (8241 Views)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / Want To Know The True Origin Of Nri Kingdom As Info Is Conflicting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by Omenani(m): 6:59am On Mar 08, 2011
Nri Kingdom (Igbo)

The city of Nri is considered to be the foundation of Igbo culture. Nri and Aguleri, where the Igbo creation myth originates, are in the territory of the Umueri clan, who trace their lineages back to the patriarchal king-figure, Eri. Eri's origins are unclear, though he has been described as a "sky being" sent by Chukwu (God). He has been characterized as having first given societal order to the people of Anambra.

Archaeological evidence suggests that Nri hegemony in Igboland may go back as far as the 9th century, and royal burials have been unearthed dating to at least the 10th century. Eri, the god-like founder of Nri, is believed to have settled in the region around 948 with other related Igbo cultures following after in the 13th century. The first Eze Nri (King of Nri), Ìfikuánim, followed directly after him. According to Igbo oral tradition, his reign started in 1043. At least one historian puts Ìfikuánim's reign much later, around 1225 AD.

“Each king traces his origin back to the founding ancestor, Eri. Each king is a ritual reproduction of Eri. The initiation rite of a new king shows that the ritual process of becoming Ezenri (Nri priest-king) follows closely the path traced by the hero in establishing the Nri kingdom."
- E. Elochukwu Uzukwu[

“Nri and Aguleri and part of the Umueri clan, a cluster of Igbo village groups which traces its origins to a sky being called Eri, and, significantly, includes (from the viewpoint of its Igbo members) the neighbouring kingdom of Igala."
- Elizabeth Allo Isichei

The Kingdom of Nri was a religio-polity, a sort of theocratic state, that developed in the central heartland of the Igbo region.The Nri had a taboo symbolic code with six types. These included human (such as the birth of twins), animal (such as killing or eating of pythons), object, temporal, behavioral, speech and place taboos. The rules regarding these taboos were used to educate and govern Nri's subjects. This meant that, while certain Igbos may have lived under different formal administration, all followers of the Igbo religion had to abide by the rules of the faith and obey its representative on earth, the Eze Nri.
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by Omenani(m): 7:00am On Mar 08, 2011
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:39am On Mar 09, 2011
Thurstan Shaw (head of the excavation of Igbo Ukwu) said that the excavation at on of the Igbo's (Igbo Jonah or Igbo Isaiah, I can't remember) might be an Eze Nri (the reconstruction posted above). If that were true, then Nri's traditional founding date in the 9th century may be proven true through the carbon dating (the thing they use to test the age of wood, bronze, etc). People should know that the places where these 'Igbo Ukwu' pieces were rediscovered were peoples homes, and the site was actually part of the neighbouring Nri town of Oraeri before (I think, founded by one of Eri's grandon's by the same name). Most of the items seemed to have been buried on purpose. They found a skull but was too broken to do anything with. What if the man buried was Eri? shocked
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 3:40am On Mar 09, 2011
[center][/center]

Current Eze Nri. Eze Nri Ènweleána II Obidiegwu Onyeso
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by Omenani(m): 3:45am On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

Thurstan Shaw (head of the excavation of Igbo Ukwu) said that the excavation at on of the Igbo's (Igbo Jonah or Igbo Isaiah, I can't remember) might be an Eze Nri (the reconstruction posted above). If that were true, then Nri's traditional founding date in the 9th century may be proven true through the carbon dating (the thing they use to test the age of wood, bronze, etc). People should know that the places where these 'Igbo Ukwu' pieces were rediscovered were peoples homes, and the site was actually part of the neighbouring Nri town of Oraeri before (I think, founded by one of Eri's grandon's by the same name). Most of the items seemed to have been buried on purpose. They found a skull but was too broken to do anything with. What if the man buried was Eri? shocked

This is very interesting information. Personally, I would say that I am ignorant of Nri's influence on Igbo clans at the periphery of Igboland. Is Nri the birthplace of Igbo civilization? How come many Igbo clans are ignorant of Nri's influence and contributions?
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ChinenyeN(m): 4:23am On Mar 09, 2011
Omenani:

Nri hegemony in Igboland may go back as far as the 9th century
Omenani:

and royal burials (I'm assuming Nri burials) have been unearthed dating to at least the 10th century
Omenani:

Eri, the god-like founder of Nri, is believed to have settled in the region around 948
Omenani:

The first Eze Nri (King of Nri), Ìfikuánim, followed directly after him. According to Igbo oral tradition, his reign started in 1043

Is it just me, or do these numbers not add up?
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by Omenani(m): 4:30am On Mar 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You do bring up a good point. But oral traditions are sometimes hard to date. But I do see the problem.
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 6:02am On Mar 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Eri is Nri's father, he can't be the king of his own sons domain. Eri established a culture an Nri established the Nri Kingdom. Eri's existence is shown in the names of towns named after him and his grandsons. Ora-Eri, Agulu, Aguleri (Agulu Eri), etc.
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ChinenyeN(m): 7:05am On Mar 09, 2011
I realize that, and that's why I'm wondering if it's only me that sees that those dates don't add up. According to the numbers, Eri settled in the 10th century, while Nri hegemony dates 9th century (before Eri), and. . . the first Eze Nri didn't surface until the 11th century (or according to a some historians, 13th century). Can't reconcile that, is all I'm saying. Someone somewhere's got their information mixed up.
Re: Nri Kingdom (Igbo) by ezeagu(m): 7:13am On Mar 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I realize that, and that's why I'm wondering if it's only me that sees that those dates don't add up. According to the numbers, Eri settled in the 10th century, while Nri hegemony dates 9th century (before Eri), and. . . the first Eze Nri didn't surface until the 11th century (or according to a some historians, 13th century). Can't reconcile that, is all I'm saying. Someone somewhere's got their information mixed up.

The traditional date is the 10th century. From the Igbo Ukwu finding, Nri may go back as far as the 9th century. Their date might be too late or they are missing something like you said.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Ezelekhae's Benin Crown Prince And His Father, Oba Ewuare ii (Photos) / Can I Masturbate While Bathing Native Spiritual Soap / Warning To Nigerian Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.