Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,792 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) (62777 Views)

Two-Headed Baby Shark With Deformed Eyes & Mutated Fins Caught In India (Photos) / Two-Headed Russell Viper Discovered In India (Photos) / Two Headed Snake Found In India, Baffles Wildlife Experts (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 23, 2020
Rare two-head snake captured in Florida is being cared for by wildlife officials who say the reptile has two brains that makes it difficult for feeding and escaping predators

Two-headed snakes were typically seen as idols in ancient mythology, but the rare creature has recently been spotted in our modern-day world.

Florida wildlife officials are caring for a Southern black racer snake with separate moving tongues and heads.

The snake has a condition called bicephaly, which occurs when two monozygotic twins do not separate while in the embryo development stage, resulting in a creature born with two heads on a single body.

Officials say the snake will remain in captivity because it makes different decisions with having separate brains that inhibit its ability to feed or elude predators.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) shared images of the rare snake on its Facebook page, saying it was found slithering around a home.

‘A rare two-headed southern black racer was recently found at a residence in Palm Harbor by Kay Rogers and family, reads the post.

‘Both head's tongue flick and react to movement, but not always in the same way.’

‘Two-headed snakes are unlikely to survive in the wild as the two brains make different decisions.’

Although the snake was living in the wild, it has found a new home with FWC and will be ‘cared-for and monitored’ by staff.

This Southern black racer snake has two heads that move apart from each other, but a similar creature found in Bali last year is not as fortunate.

The reptile was found in the streets of a small village in the Tabanan region by locals and the two heads are connected just past the eyes.

Residents were surprised to find the two-headed snake slithering on a large leaf and some extremely brave people grabbed a stick and examined the odd occurrence.

Unlike the snake found in Florida, it seems this one struggles to move its heads due to the way the are connected - the two heads appear to be too heavy for the slender body.

Reptiles are more likely to be born with two heads as they have many offspring and their eggs are exposed to the environment, which can result in many factors that could affect the developing embryo.

Two-headed snakes tend to be the result of inbreeding in captivity, but there have been rare occurrences where one is found in the wild.

One of the heads is generally the dominant one but in some cases, the two heads do not always cooperate.
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8868719/Rare-two-head-snake-captured-Florida-cared-wildlife-officials.html

1 Like

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by GolDRoger: 6:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
Its macsjeb.
FP here we come cheesy cheesy

by the way, How many million years has it Lived?? cool

32 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by DenreleDave(m): 6:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
undecided liars.

I'm sure this snake escaped from India to Florida..

If e no he India, he no fit be India grin grin grin

Notice:

All Nairalanders should avoid me

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Karlifate: 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
2 heads, 1 body.
It reminds me of that horror movie; Evil Dead.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Amotolongbo(f): 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
These snakes are Siamese twins jor.

Two different snakes conjoined at the trunk from birth. Not a single snake.

They need surgical operation to separate them

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Deltayankeeboi: 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
I am beginning to fall in love with my course of study.

Animal and Environmental Biology.

There is really a niche for zoologists outside the shores of Nigeria.

#Advocate for nature and wildlife conservation.

20 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Righteousness89(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
strange two Headed Creatures Springing out in these times in various Nations are Confusing the people

Men and Brethren, Even the World itself is In the Midst of Strange Confusion as never seen Before..

The Appointed time is upon us..
The Night is Far Spent,
The Day is at Hand,
Let's not be Carried away with Events and leave ourselves unprepared like the Unwise Virgins..
The Coming of JESUS is soon HERE..

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by tillaman(m): 7:23pm On Oct 23, 2020
Na inside pot e for end las las
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by TheFacelessMan: 7:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
shocked

Decades ago, I had such an encounter... :-

[img]https://media1./images/5209fd2d5d65c7bde47b8889e19fe18d/tenor.gif?itemid=4537132[/img]

I caught one in the jungle, north of Congo Brazzaville

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Karlifate: 8:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
Righteousness89:
strange two Headed Creatures Springing out in these times in various Nations are Confusing the people

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Dpharisee: 8:13pm On Oct 23, 2020
Ok seen, I can't kill myself. This is how I view those who tried to link Igbos with the the destruction in Lagos even when many cities in the SE was also on fire
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Edopesin: 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
People's stores are being looted, houses are being burnt down, innocent people are getting killed. I don't think a lot of people would give two fucs about a dragon at this moment

Righteousness89:
[i]strange two Headed Creatures Springing out in these times in various Nations are Confusing the people

If by these times you mean the past 170 years of first sighting then you'd be on track

1 Like

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by RomanianNinja: 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Buhari and Tinubu's children

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by drezzyx(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Nairaland and snake are like 5 & 6.
It seems like our endsars saga is becoming over.
Therefore our regular topic will resume.

3 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Abusadiq01(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
They are Siamese twins... Vets in the house over to u

2 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Benitoh: 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
It's called pepper soup in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by bikerboy1(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
grin

Lala's favourite
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Jack005(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
How all these rubbish use solve Nigerian pressing issues?
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by ajebuter(f): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
Even if it is Royalsnake with 7 crowns..

My naija pipu go still chop am as pepper soup or Asun cheesy cheesy
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Primusinterpares(m): 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
Na presidential speach we dey and how to move from this country
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Olarewaju89: 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
This snake have been in Florida for over 92 million years ago undecided

Na me talk am, come and beat me

3 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Swidell: 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
tongue
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by ILoveDemMANNA: 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
Back to a snake-filled Frontpage Day........

1 Like

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Barbsamiin: 8:17pm On Oct 23, 2020
macsjebs again
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by ILoveDemMANNA: 8:17pm On Oct 23, 2020
Barbsamiin:
macsjebs again
snake again
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Bigbishung(m): 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
u see snakes and cat,gush,I hate them with passion.if I happened to see a two headed snake that one mean say I no fit vomit for my house for 1month because of fear.i wonder how people even eat snakes.chooooiiii.i die there be dat
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by Olodo24: 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
Lala right now

2 Likes

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by nairavsdollars(f): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
Buhari and Tinubu , we die here

1 Like

Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by stag: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
Karlifate:
2 heads, 1 body.
It reminds me of that horror movie; Evil Dead.

Evil dead!! cheesy cheesy

You must be an old man
Re: Two-Headed Southern Black Racer Snake Found In Florida (Photos) by omoadeleye(m): 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
No shit is rare again, we now see them anyhow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Austria: Man Finds Snake In His Toilet After It Kept Flushing Itself At Night / Trapped Manatee Caught And Butchered In Bayelsa By Residents. Photos / Graphic Photo Of A Decapitated Elephant: Animal Cruelty Should Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.