Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria (29240 Views)

Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States / I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / Unemployed Man Wins $273m Lotto Months After Divorce In US, Ex-Wife Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 24, 2020
CocoaOla:
Nigeria men go share their properties keep dream ing in uk

Just what I wanted to type. Share which properties? When assassins and hitmen are still in existence?

Joke of the century! The woman that will want to share my properties won't live to enjoy them.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2020
Queseda:

My friend has been seperated from his wife for over 3years, the marriage produced no kids. They did court marriage, will he have to share his property with the wife? The wife is the petitioner

That depends whether the wife contributed to acquiring the property.

2 Likes

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Easyosafo: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2020
THE BIBLE DO NOT ENCOURAGE DIVORCE.

JESUS DO NOT ENCOURAGE DIVORCE.

JESUS TEACH US ABOUT ABSOLUTE FORGIVENESS.

JESUS TEACH US ABOUT NUMBER OF TIMES OF FORGIVENESS,NO MATTER THE GRAVITY OF THE OFFENSE, BEING IT ADULTERY. WE MUST FORGIVE 70×7=490 TIMES.

IN CASE COUPLE CANNOT STAY TOGETHER AS A RESULTS OF UNFAITHFULNESS,AND INTOLERANCE, THE ONLY WAY OUT IS TO FILE FOR SEPARATION

BOTH PARTNER ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REMARRY TO ANOTHER PERSON.THEY ARE TO STAY UNMARRIED.IF ANY ONE VENTURE IN MARRIAGE, COMMITTED ADULTEROUS.

MARRIAGE IS FOR BETTER AND FOR WORST.MARRIAGE IS A DIVINE INSTITUTES OF GOD,IT IS NOT A CONTRACT APPOINTMENT.

SO BE CAREFUL BE YOU FALL IN LOVE.

REMEMBER THAT THE MOMENT YOU FAIL MARITALLY IT WILL AFFECT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, AND EVENTUALLY MISS HEAVEN.

LEARN TO KEEP YOUR MARRIAGE NO MATTER WHAT. YOU CAN SEPARATE FROM THE WORLD, AND EVEN FROM THE CHURCH MAKE HEAVEN, BUT YOU CAN'T SEPARATE FROM FAMILY AND STILL MAKE IT TO HEAVEN. THE POSSIBILITY IS 1%.
MIND YOU HEAVEN IS SO REAL AND JESUS IS COMING SOON. PREPARE TO MEET HIM.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2020
MSGAMBLE9:
yes, that why most men prefer separation..divorce is pro-women ( you end up beign poorer)

It is not pro-women. It is pro-lower earner.

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Farki: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
There should be a change in marriage contract in the world and especially in Nigeria. Modern marriage contract should be for like 5 years with an option of renewal. If you enjoy it, you renew, if not, you leave and look for another partner

Something that football has mastered, but because of European customs we believe marriage should be forever.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by abimic(m): 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2020
When you have partners that are understanding, committed with a mind to make things work, self-less and ready to shift grounds to suit the other, divorce would not be an option, i just hate that word divorce. But Generally for me, in divorce, we are sharing no property as my properties are mine and i take custody of my kids....sefini!!!!!!!!!! That is what i would tell my lawyers to fight for.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by banmee(m): 7:50pm On Oct 24, 2020
Good info. I have 3 wives and I have to get rid of one. ..
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Anaerobi(m): 7:53pm On Oct 24, 2020
to my future wife. I know am not perfect, I will do my best to see our marriage work out well... my parents never divorced each other pls in all our trials in marriage, in all odds, pls future wiffy, don't think of divorce because as for me, divorce is far away from me. I love you future wife.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Queseda: 7:56pm On Oct 24, 2020
Plead:

That depends whether the wife contributed to acquiring the property.
Okay thank you
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by MadamExcellency: 8:01pm On Oct 24, 2020
abimic:
When you have partners that are understanding, committed with a mind to make things work, self-less and ready to shift grounds to suit the other, divorce would not be an option, i just hate that word divorce. But Generally for me, in divorce, we are sharing no property as my properties are mine and i take custody of my kids....sefini!!!!!!!!!! That is what i would tell my lawyers to fight for.

A sperm donor wants children all to himself.

Assuming the woman wants to pay you for the donation in cash?

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Godpikin4real(f): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2020
Marriage is meant 2 b enjoyed and not endured. There no need staying in an abusive relationship when u can peacefully back out. Please, always remember 2 take a bow while d Ovation's loud.

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by MadamExcellency: 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2020
Queseda:

Okay thank you

Not true, everything you got after the marriage is sharable.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Dsimple: 8:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
Hmmmmmm I should have create a thread for this, but I'm still considering my options. I am or was married with one lady and she absconds from my house, stealing everything she could carried along with her including my ATM card and withdrawing all the money in the account and still left with our son of three years old. It's been more than one year since this happened. Her mother is threatening me with jail terms if I don't produce her daughter and she is now telling me that the boy is not mine. I had it from good authority that she is with her mum in Lagos while I'm staying at Abuja. The marriage was contracted in Jos, plateau state. Her dad is late and her mother has since sold the house where the marriage took place. I really need to get my son back as soon as possible.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2020
MadamExcellency:

This is confusing. Explain it to her.

Don't make the mistake to think any judge will give you 50% or more like they do in Europe and America.
I've followed up many divorce cases and you usually get what you put in. Meaning, you'll get property that is proportionate to what you contributed or that you bought by yourself unlike in the West where everything is automatically shared.
If you can't provide evidence that you contributed to acquire a particular stuff, you won't be given a part of it,not even 0.99%.

As for money settlement? I've seen judges award money settlement many times though it's not as bogus as the ones in the West. A man/woman can be worth 50m and the court will tell him/her to settle his/her lesser earning wife/husband with 100-500k.

Reason for filling for divorce and the petitioner also matters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2020
Dsimple:
Hmmmmmm I should have create a thread for this, but I'm still considering my options. I am or was married with one lady and she absconds from my house, stealing everything she could carried along with her including my ATM card and withdrawing all the money in the account and still left with our son of three years old. It's been more than one year since this happened. Her mother is threatening me with jail terms if I don't produce her daughter and she is now telling me that the boy is not mine. I had it from good authority that she is with her mum in Lagos while I'm staying at Abuja. The marriage was contracted in Jos, plateau state. Her dad is late and her mother has since sold the house where the marriage took place. I really need to get my son back as soon as possible.

Meet a legal consultant for advise.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Bedesipop(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2020
Burgerlomo:
The street niggas does not have any time to divorce instead they will just japa grin

well...... said..............

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by mooa404(m): 8:22pm On Oct 24, 2020
Legally educative.
Concerns about the consequence of the divorce:
a) Will the properties evenly shared even when most of the properties carry one partner's name and not Mr.& Mrs?
Can the divorced couple approach the registry for marriage again after the 'decree absolute'?

No insults please.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Easyosafo: 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2020
Dsimple:

With God all things are possible, tender your prayers to God for Divine intervention. Your family can be restore back prayerfully.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Queseda: 8:44pm On Oct 24, 2020
MadamExcellency:

Really? Only properties gotten after marriage?
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Liposure: 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2020
Oracleforce:
African marriage is a scam... You can hardly see genuine love in African marriage...it is either the man is exploiting the woman or otherwise. ...

The leeching and preying mentality have destroyed so.many relationships or marriages..
And that is the reason you can see a lasting marriage.
barman find this man three bottles of stout
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Liposure: 8:53pm On Oct 24, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
There should be a change in marriage contract in the world and especially in Nigeria. Modern marriage contract should be for like 5 years with an option of renewal. If you enjoy it, you renew, if not, you leave and look for another partner
exactly what i was thinking few days back
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by KLand(m): 8:54pm On Oct 24, 2020
The post was very educative. But then I do not encourage divorce because no marriage is irredeemable. See this article: https://victorscorner.com/2016/10/07/towards-a-better-marriage-7-shut-the-door-on-divorce/

And before you divorce your spouse, think of your children. Click on the link to read more :https://victorscorner.com/2016/11/08/before-you-divorce-your-spouse-think-of-your-children/
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Liposure: 8:59pm On Oct 24, 2020
thesicilian:

Is there a minimum number of times or duration that sex has to be refused, because going by refusal alone, we can say that almost every marriage is qualified for divorce.
the way wives hoard sex from their husbands these days baffles me alot
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by abimic(m): 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2020
MadamExcellency:

A sperm donor wants children all to himself.

Assuming the woman wants to pay you for the donation in cash?
Like i said, i am not pro-divorce, but that should be how things ought to go in my previous narration. sperm donor kwanu? the sperm harbourer should not feel too entitled. She can come check up on her kids when it is convenient for her but who takes custody? should be me. Above all, divorce should never be an option if the atmosphere can still controlled and situation saved with wisdom.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Oracleforce: 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

For disagreeing with you, i revealed my animalistic trait.

Imagine.

Seriously you have a lowself esteem.

Africans with lowself esteem starts everything with how Africans are this and that, every thing negative.

I had to reveal your disease before it ruin you.

Is like you just heard the word "Lowself esteem"/ this is not the proper way to write it...I want to advise you to check your dictionary and proof-read your comments before posting it out for public consumption because you are a disgrace to the school that issued their educational certificate to you.
Product of nomadic education.

Tueh...oni kuure
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by stayclearofme: 9:05pm On Oct 24, 2020
Oracleforce:
African marriage is a scam... You can hardly see genuine love in African marriage...it is either the man is exploiting the woman or otherwise. ...

The leeching and preying mentality have destroyed so.many relationships or marriages..
And that is the reason you can see a lasting marriage.
So na oyibo marriage wey no be scam? Una go siddon one place dey think say na una own worst pass. Tell me about Asian or European marriages let me educate you. May be you are a leech!
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by nwakibe: 9:06pm On Oct 24, 2020
Who knows how a divorcee will remarry the person he divorced? Just asking for an uncle.
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by supereagle(m): 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2020
HealthDiary:

Source: https://www.opinions.com.ng/2020/10/how-to-file-for-divorce-in-nigeria.html

I have been tolerating a lot in my marriage to this woman. Many men cannot endure these.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Tedpgrass: 9:13pm On Oct 24, 2020
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by abimic(m): 9:18pm On Oct 24, 2020
Liposure:
the way wives hoard sex from their husbands these days baffles me alot
Depends on the woman you marry, the signs are always there if you watch carefully from relationship.

1 Like

Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by shadeyinka2: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
And leave the children miserable , hurt and confused!
Re: How To File For A Divorce In Nigeria by Tedpgrass: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
Queseda:

My friend has been seperated from his wife for over 3years, the marriage produced no kids. They did court marriage, will he have to share his property with the wife? The wife is the petitioner

Waiting for op to shed more light on this

And also on impact of pre-nuptials on sharing formula..

Personally, I feel that... what you bring in, is what you take out.. Particularly if the union shows no significant sacrifice on the part of the lower earner.

Please shed more light.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets After 11 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / My Brother Or My Wife, Who Should I Pick? / Man Chases His Wife Out For Allegedly Calling Him An Animal In Public (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.