Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? (30666 Views)

Parents Rush To Pick Children From FGC Kwali Due To Terror Alert / Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / Rochas Foundation Of Africa Empowers Over 13,000 African Kids Through Project 55 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by stevebond007(m): 2:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
Certificate based system. So they rush the kids to have them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by UncleHaba22: 2:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
D
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Dominion202: 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
Nigeria Education is a scam
Handwork pay better education in Nigeria
Graduate without job full everywhere with our govt ready to do nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
The fear of going broke or dieing young

Life expectancy rate in Nigeria is 56 years. Most parents want to do everything fast before they die or grow broke.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Akinbahm(m): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
Azord:
I experienced that kinda shid when I was small and it affected me.
Its not just necessary.
I will never advice any parent to do such.

Majority of parent believe school is the key to success

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Godpikin4real(f): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
I have a son whoz 8yrs now. When he started nursery school, I noticed he waz very good verbally, he could recite all nursery rhymes, tell all bible stories, states&capital, local government and their chairmen, etc. The challenge he had waz he didn't like writing. If u tell him 2 write 1-10, if u see drama dis boi would act. This went on and on till I decided 2 engage his class teacher. He improved a bit buhh noticed he later relented. When he waz in nursery two going 2 primary one, I told his class teacher I'd like him to repeat nursery two as I was in no competition with anyone. She replied and said "mba, MBA, MBA(no! No!!no!!!) U see psychomotor skills, he's got it buhh locomotor is lacking. Leave him alone, he'll do well in his next class." So, I left him. The next class, he waz always submitting empty books buhh when he brings his assignments home, the brain tasking ones, he'll explain it well to me and I'd b able 2 take him up from there.

One day, I went for open day in their school and what I saw wasn't impressive. All his note books only had dates written in them, no notes copies therein including English studies except mathematics. I said 2 myself where does this boi want 2 go in this world with only quoting and cramming? I waz disappointed in myself as his mum, himself who didn't want 2 write and his class teacher who couldn't deliver. Even in law, dat requires a lot of quoting and cramming, they'll still say u "put it down in black and white". I decided within me there and then; this boi would repeat this class if datz all it takes him 2 b able 2 write.

Hez in Pry 3 now and hez doing very very well. When i went to check up on him in his new class, his class teacher said there haz been gr8 improvement even him, he say it at home dat my teacher said i have really picked up. I told him if u do very well. I told him "If u impress me, you'd go to secondary school from pry 4 buhh if not, he'd go from pry 5. Mbok, I'm not here 2 impress anyone, I only want d best for our son.

21 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
femi4:
1. School fees is high

2. Employable age range has been reduced to 23-26

I lost access bank job due to age (27yrs)

They just used that as an excuse. Banks are useless. If u were 24 at that time. U still wont get the job.. Banks are useless.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by tobito33(m): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
anthonyuncle:
so that at da age of 25,

they must've graduates with 7yrs experience
which one be this one again??
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by ned009(m): 2:45pm On Oct 28, 2020
Kestolove:
Not in the east..those ones no dey go school

Lol
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2020
Akinbahm:

Actually it is one of the key to success that is if you go to good schools

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by pozehnani(f): 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2020
It's a trend and a competition no one wants to be left out in.

I will also rush mine. I can't come and carry last or haven't you heard of the youngest doctor at 24yrs?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
Thank you for pointing that out

jidamsel43:
That is the mentality of typical Lagosians. The parents compete among themselves on whose son/ daughter graduate first from school. Some parents pay no attention to the intellectual ability or capabilities of their children in School. As a tutor in a primary school in Lagos, I have had numerous encounters with parents who always insisted that their children must be placed in a class contrary to the children's performance

2 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by IjebuWarrior: 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
Kestolove:

Na so so spare parts trade and fraud dem sabi learn. grin
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Charmingrascal(m): 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
Our education system is too slow and it doesn't worth the waste of time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
Karleb:
They do it for the competition.

"My son is 19 and he is in 400L" grin

"My daughter is 21 and she has an M. Sc." grin

These sort of things freak women more.

Exactly
. Bragging right among parents.

You will see some1 undergoing masters program.

Zero working experience. And when they finally bcome a manager, they have zero skills in handling employees practically and will be sacking and employing every 2 months.

Dont blame them sha, naija factor is at play.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by capitalzero: 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
Asus strike
Competition among parents
Employment age cap

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
Beni
Akinbahm:

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
yes o
cruxgemmata:

Exactly
. Bragging right among parents.

You will see some1 undergoing masters program.

Zero working experience. And when they finally bcome a manager, they have zero skills in handling employees practically and will be sacking and employing every 2 months.

Dont blame them sha, naija factor is at play.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Queenserah26(f): 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
No be lie

isaiah4life:
when you want to apply for a graduate trainee position as a fresh graduate and they post age limit 22-23 then you will thank parents for rushing their kids.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by MT: 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
Ignorance. While they feel pushing them through will guarantee success for their wards, they end up damaging the children.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
Cherubeyes:
I would very much like to hear from you

I really don't know, but I think I can give part of the answer..

In the 1980's,a lot of intelligent kids came into prominence. Kids who graduated from primmary school at eight, secondary school at 14, and university at 18.

These kids were promoted to parents and other children as 'examples'

As a result, the trend to rush kids began. In my day, it staarted with kids leaving for secondary school in primary 5, (something my parents swore would never happen thankfully), and kids entering nursery school at the age of two or one....

In other words, the parents wanted little geniuses.

By the way, I knew one kid who granduated primary school at the age of eight, secodnary school at 14, university at 18 ...and then went abroad for his postgraduate sudies and had......a breakdown.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
okay, too much rush is not good
Azord:
I experienced that kinda shid when I was small and it affected me.
Its not just necessary.
I will never advice any parent to do such.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
Kestolove:
Seun lalasticlala Dominique mynd44 mukina2. Tribalistic comment.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by LLSAINT(m): 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
You gog, you no go use football age take end the matter?
Afterall, Buhari and other politicians, na the age dem dey use

femi4:
1. School fees is high

2. Employable age range has been reduced to 23-26

I lost access bank job due to age (27yrs)
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by SmartyPants(m): 2:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
isaiah4life:
when you want to apply for a graduate trainee position as a fresh graduate and they post age limit 22-23 then you will thank parents for rushing their kids.

That may be an incidental consideration but is not likely the reason for this trend.

The likely reason is simply that Nigerians love to compete and to most, the younger one's kids are in school and out of it, the smarter they appear to be, and the more points the parent has with which to boast in the next family gathering.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by ipobarecriminals: 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2020
Marry late in their 40

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by seunny4lif(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2020
No reason then to show off to others that “Hey, my kids graduated at the age of 20”

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2020
The earlier you get through school the more tolerance you have for the inevitable years of trying to settle in as an adult in Nigeria.

So take me for example, I graduated at 23 it wasn't until I was 29 that I got a good job and that was after I had left Nigeria.

So imagine I graduated at 29 by this calculation I would be 35 before any meaningful achievement in life.

Also for most countries,once you are 30 the chances of migration reduces greatly. If you decide to stay in Nigeria most graduate jobs in Nigeria will only consider applicants younger than 25.

So I believe that is why reasonable parents rush their kids through school in Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Ameboperoo(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2020
I know a girl who graduated from the secondary school at the age of 12 or thereabout. She is just average academically but the parents kept rushing her to save cost. You got to pay only for 4 sessions instead of six.
Again, because of age barrier in getting a job in Nigeria. (Ask Access Bank applicants).
Finally, it's a pride to a parent to see his or her child doing"better" than their mates. By graduating before them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by osejie17(m): 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2020
Sometimes it has to do with competition among parents and friends.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Can Someone Who Lost His First School Leaving Certificate Get It Back? / Common French Words Used In English / 2017/2018 FUNAAB Msc. Candidates Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.