Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:20 PM

SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel (476 Views)

I Haven't Seen My Husband Since SARS Arrested Him In 2017 - Woman Tells Panel / The Difference Between Educated Police And SARS Men - PHOTOS / IG To Dismiss F-SARS Men Who Check Bank Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by SandraJane: 6:40am On Oct 28, 2020
The Panel of Inquiry and Restitution set up by the Lagos State Government to look into cases of human rights abuse by men of the recently-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad opened hearing on Tuesday with four cases.

First was the case of one Mr Okoliagu Abunike, a father of five, who narrated to the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel how he was in 2012 arrested by policemen from Ojo Police Station at the instance of his boss, who accused him of embezzling company’s funds.

According to him, the cops at the Ojo Police Station, after beating and humiliating him by tearing his clothes and parading him round Alaba Market, handed him over to SARS men, who detained him at Ikeja for 47 days.

He said men of SARS, including one Inspector Sunday, alias Baba Ijapa; and one ASP Haruna, tortured him so much so that two of his teeth were extracted.

Abunike said, “My family didn’t know where I was. When they eventually knew and my mother and wife came to SARS office in Ikeja, they beat up my mother and wife in my presence.

“While I was in detention, they took over my house, they sold all my properties, including my Acura jeep, 17KVA generator, my inverter, my three blackberry phones and my land.”

He said after spending 47 days in SARS cell, he was hurriedly charged before a magistrates’ court after a lawyer hired by his family wrote a petition.

Abunike said on getting out of detention he filed a fundamental rights suit and Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court in Lagos in 2016 awarded N10m damages in his favour against the police and his former boss.

Abunike, however, said four years after the judgment, all efforts to enforce it and claim the money had proved abortive.

Asked whether the magistrate court found him guilty of any crime, Abunike answered in the negative.

The panel admitted a copy of Justice Buba’s N10m judgment as an exhibit and said its decision would be made know in seven days.

The second case was that of one Ndukwe Ekekwere, who was brought to the hearing in a wheel chair by his mother.

Though his case could not be heard by the panel on the grounds that the SARS operative, who is the accused in the case was absent, Ekekwere told our correspondent that he became paralysed and was confined to a wheelchair after he was pushed off a two-storey building in 2008 by men of SARS.

While adjourning the case till November 2, 2020, Justice Okuwobi said although she noted the difficulty in bringing the man in the wheel chair to the hearing venue, it was necessary for the panel to give the accused SARS operative an opportunity for fair hearing.

Source: https://punchng.com/sars-men-seized-sold-my-properties-man-tells-panel/

cc; lalasticlala

Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by NotCalmAtall: 6:43am On Oct 28, 2020
cry

This makes you wonder how these crimes could have continued for so long and the citizens kept mute

Truly Nigerians in the south are like animals , they don't think normally and have so self esteem grin

In the north who are you as a sars man to try these ? They youths will behead you

Southern NIGERIANS are like animals in captivity .. they only know how to chat online and rant
Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by lindareep: 6:44am On Oct 28, 2020
Haha...this is wickedness nau... shocked

Abunike said, “My family didn’t know where I was. When they eventually knew and my mother and wife came to SARS office in Ikeja, they beat up my mother and wife in my presence.

“While I was in detention, they took over my house, they sold all my properties, including my Acura jeep, 17KVA generator, my inverter, my three blackberry phones and my land.”
Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by lindareep: 6:46am On Oct 28, 2020
NotCalmAtall:
cry

This makes you wonder how these crimes could have continued for so long and the citizens kept mute

[s]Truly Nigerians in the south are like animals , they don't think normally and have so self esteem grin
[/s]
In the north who are you as a sars man to try these ? They youths will behead you

[s]Southern NIGERIANS are like animals in captivity[/s] .. they only know how to chat online and rant

1 Like

Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by GARRIYELLOW: 6:48am On Oct 28, 2020
"Ekekwere told our correspondent that he became paralysed and was confined to a wheelchair after he was pushed off a two-storey building in 2008 by men of SARS."

See how heartless some people can be.
This exercise will reveal a lot to us.

Advertise your services for FREE and increase your market coverage.

Kindly turn on your device location services to see the distance between you and the vendors around you.
See link below.
Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by yanabasee(m): 7:03am On Oct 28, 2020
NotCalmAtall:
cry

Truly Nigerians in the south are like animals , they don't think normally and have so self esteem grin

Southern NIGERIANS are like animals in captivity .. they only know how to chat online and rant

Nobody kept mute......

In this country, if you try to speak up, especially against the government policies... The government will make up series of counter lies and publish it and then arrest you and detain you.....

For get it.... We're just slaves in this country....

If you get killed by a police officer for doing nothing to him, they will write down a report that you've been on their wanted list for years and they followed a tip off details and tracked you down and you tried to attack the officers which led to a gunfire and you were killed in the process....

This is why we endured..
Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by money121(m): 7:06am On Oct 28, 2020
End Sars Now
Re: SARS Men Seized, Sold My Properties, Man Tells Panel by Mynd44: 7:48am On Oct 28, 2020

(1)

What To Do When A Sexual Assault Survivor Talks To You ~ Shrewdlysally / Gunmen Abduct Chinese Man And His Driver In Taraba As Youths Foil Kidnap Attempt / Young Boy Mistakenly Kills Himself While Allegedly Trying To Confirm If Death By

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.