Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. (9980 Views)

Chew That Watermelon Seed. / Why Ar Some Meats Hard 2 Chew? / People Who Chew Poundy And Other Solid Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by pereze: 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2011
Na wa oh. Why do you hold your 'ruler' when urinating, guys? That one get answer?
If I eat the meat first, the food no go too make sense.
Just like 'runs' wey you meet today today begin tidy am that day too, that 'runs' no go make sense to you again as before, na so e be for meat we de use decorate food.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Outstrip(f): 12:04am On Jun 09, 2011
Similar to when you tell kids now to eat their food before they can have dessert. Most mothers used it to encourage their kids to eat all their food. Meat was the dessert LOL
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by kabukabu50(m): 12:33am On Jun 09, 2011
Outstrip:

Similar to when you tell kids now to eat their food before they can have dessert. Most mothers used it to encourage their kids to eat all their food. Meat was the dessert LOL

GBAMMMMM, best answer now we can end this yeye thread. wink
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 09, 2011
I think its more of a dinning table etiquette. Or maybe the proper way to eat For me, i eat the meat last because thats the most tantalizing part of my meal and i like to save the best for the last.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by mamagee3(f): 2:29am On Jun 09, 2011
kabukabu:

Who doesn't eat meat first or with the food, smh dont tell me all you eat is Eba with fried rice meat is everywhere you eat as you go,at least mine is grin
Only kids eat the meat before their meal. . . grin grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Ayoobscom(m): 7:15am On Jun 09, 2011
while i was small I quickly search the meat and eat before one uncle will come in to remove it and eat, my mum always warned me against my wicked uncle, she will tell me to eat the meat quickly before uncle Dapo comes in, so mine is different
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by maxproxl: 7:22am On Jun 09, 2011
most people took up this act from parents & their elder siblings while growing up. l dont do it anymore. l eat the meat together with the food. even in eateries, u see people eating their beef/chicken last. even in a corporate setting, l av seen top executives and directors also doing it. its a cultural thing. study americans/europeans, they dont do such.

some people claim its makes one enjoy the eating experience. l agree to a point since this is a Nigerian forum. it happened to me once some years ago as an under-graduate. l was eating rice & plantain. as usual l was keeping the meat till the end(saving the best for last). all of a sudden, my girlfriend who has been watchin me took the meat, ate it & ran away laughing. it was so painful
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by osas007(m): 7:59am On Jun 09, 2011
odumchi:

It's a sign of respect and humbleness. Children are told to finish food and eat meat last so they won't become greedy or focus only on the meat. And also meat fills the belly more than food and after eating meat, people tend to become full.

I totally agree with you.I could remember when i was much younger i was told by my parents eating meat at the end of a meal shows a kind of respect or so.Lets say the habits and home training on eating meat is just stucked, lol, no big deal though
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by snthesis(m): 8:24am On Jun 09, 2011
saving the best for last - seriously doesn't make sense eating meat first and den trying to eat rice alone

Ayoobscom:

while i was small I quickly search the meat and eat before one uncle will come in to remove it and eat, my mum always warned me against my wicked uncle, she will tell me to eat the meat quickly before uncle Dapo comes in, so mine is different
chei grin grin grin!!! bringing back old memories- my coz saw me eyeing my neighbor and blackmailed me for over a week- payment method was my precious meat tongue tongue
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by 702: 8:44am On Jun 09, 2011
It depends, if there r two or more meat i cud eat any of ' em randomly, if its only 1 meat, i wait after d meal cuz thats the longest chewing thingy. spend more time chewing it than say eatin rice or swallowin fufu wink
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by kpolli(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2011
cos its the paramount of the meal
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by pcagbaji(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2011
i eat food along with the meat but i must make sure i finish eaten meat last b/c it make the food test great
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by mrxtreme(m): 10:02am On Jun 09, 2011
Its just a habbit
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by JimmyBoy1: 10:16am On Jun 09, 2011
We were brought up to believe that the meat should be eaten last, as kidz if you touch your meat first, they will say you are showing early signs of being light fingered. In other places, the meat will be shared by four 4 or 5 kidz, only after the mountain of Eba has become a valley.But my kidz don't follow this poverty induced tradition.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Kave(m): 11:38am On Jun 09, 2011
Its all because, while everyone of us wer small, abi young, we like to eat meat first, but our mothers warn us not to touch the meat until after the food is finished, and we all got used to it, THATS JUST WHY O
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by johnny11(m): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2011
meat, especially beef, tends to fill u up quicker, so its best to save it for last
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by AKO1(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2011
For those people saying that eating the meat first will not let you finish the food: it is because the food is not sweet that you don't finish it, not because you ate the meat first.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by ebony4life(f): 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
The meat  is seen as the PRIZE grin that motivates you to eat and when you struggle for a prize you savour it; saving it for the last!
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by DaLover(m): 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2011
Definately a poverty induced tradition, nothing more nothing less
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by ebony4life(f): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
The meat  is seen as the PRIZE  wink that motivates you to eat and when you struggle for a prize you savour it; saving it for the last!
Me thinks its a psychological thing sha. grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Reference(m): 1:57pm On Jun 09, 2011
Old habits from childhood. For the average child who is not brought up in situations of very serious hunger and malnutrition they love variety be it colours, textures and tastes. Most meals in these parts are largely one-dimensional and unattractive to them - grains, puddings or porridge - that's all, so they just pick on the little thing that looks different and get quickly addicted to the act if mummy doesn't make them eat the rest. The same reason why adults continue the trend. Have you noticed it changes with proper continental or an oriental cuisine where you may have upwards of five or six different colours and textures. You tend to handle practically everything simultaneously. Even the humble burger looks a lot more attractive than some meals we cook here and I've not seen anyone yet slide out the meat and crunch on the wafer and cabbage first. Our meals are largely volumetric and sometimes these children tend to be intimidated by the bulk particularly when they are not in starvation mode. That's where the habits start.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by omo9ja1(m): 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2011
my mother will not allow us to eat meat first while eating, she always says the meat is the most enjoyable part of the meal and the means you must do hard work and enjoyment after the work, to her she seems it had some lesson to life?
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by mamagee3(f): 11:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
DaLover:

Definately a poverty induced tradition, nothing more nothing less
Hahaha, funny! grin grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Sike(m): 11:34pm On Jun 09, 2011
Hahahaha!.

Enjoy while it lasts. . .
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by EzeCanada: 2:05am On Jun 10, 2011
Poverty
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by JEMZSIXQO(m): 2:24pm On Jun 10, 2011
I use to do it when i was small n then i become use to it. then i can eat meat while eating cos i do eat with my broda so i have to wait after eating to share the meat with my broda.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Koolking(m): 4:55pm On Jun 10, 2011
It is heritage. I was born into it and It will continue. It was symbolic. It signifies oneness: why? I remember when I was a kid, my mum would make us (3 children) share in the same bowl of soup or rice. She would caution us to spare the meat/fish until we finish eating, and the eldest among us would be asked to share the meat/fish equally among us.

I guess, it was another way of attaining satisfaction even when the food was not enough.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Typewriter(m): 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2011
@all Nairalanders and Nigerian and to some other people all over the world

Meat, Fish or Egg taking and eating as the last item from the plate is a tradition born out of scarcity and poverty

imaging today that you now have a bowel of meat along side your small Amala dudu(semo fufu) or Eba(cassava dust)
or even rice and chicken do you still wait till the end to start eating 1 by 1?

You can eat Beef, fish or chicken last only if and if only you have a small portion in your plate.

I rest my case grin grin grin

but the good thing then is that we had an advantage for laking much meat then and even now?

I.e obesity would have killed more people then. cry cry cry
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by iluvnaija: 10:21pm On Jun 10, 2011
as i dey eat now i dey look the meat with eye,e no let me eat until i finish the rice.
e be like say the meat dey warn me not to eat am until i finish the rice but i no gree, i don put the meat for mouth so anything when want happen make e happen grin grin grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 1:55pm On Jun 11, 2011
hmmmmm! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by rully2: 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2011
This post is so funny, i do wonder too. When i was a child, i remember my mom always threatens us with stuff like, if u dont eat up all your food you dont eat the meat, so i will be salivating at the meat while trying to finish up my meal, like d light at the end of a tunnel, haha

I guess i kind of grew up with that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Do Think About Suya ? / Bukateria ("Buka") Food! / Amazing Health Benefits Of Groundnuts (ekpa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.