Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,135 members, 7,835,806 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch (9195 Views)

NEDG Vice Presidential Debate 2015 Live! / Vice Presidential Debate Has Started. LIVE UPDATES / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by abopal: 8:15pm On Mar 12, 2011
NN24 I BEING TERRRRRORISED, HARRRRASSSSED AND EMBARRRRASSSED BY THOSE WHO ARE AFRAID TO COME FOR DEBATES.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by metrixauto: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2011
It is a shame on PDP and also a total disregard to we nigerian they want to Govern,i believe if they come Bakare and Adeola will rubbish them since they cannot be trusted again,promise of 12 years ago still unfulfilled,they have failed
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by egift(m): 8:39pm On Mar 12, 2011
abopal:

NN24 I BEING TERRRRRORISED, HARRRRASSSSED AND EMBARRRRASSSED BY THOSE WHO ARE AFRAID TO COME FOR DEBATES.

Very sad my dear.

Not long ago South Africa was also pushed by threatening them on banning and nationalizing MTN unless the act on Okah.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by PapaBrowne(m): 8:47pm On Mar 12, 2011
Delta007:

Dazangel has a point. These folks are pulling a blinder and some of you folks are applauding.SMH. None of these candidates have been able to articulate a plan to move Nigeria forward. Every one of them have either used the opportunity to criticise PDP or to promise to get milk and honey flowing for free. Any Tom in Timbuktu can do just that - blab empty promises to get into office. The main question is "how". But guess what? Alot of Nigerians (as exhibited on this forum) are applauding a group of individuals because they criticised a PDP led govt and promised to give Nigerians a better life. This is what any reasonable politician would do; lies, promises, etc. For instance, everyone of them will tell you "we will solve the electricity crisis and provide jobs for people". Ask them how they intend to do it  and how long it would take their plan to mature and watch them fibble (and lie even more). The fact is that these parties have very little (or no) difference in ideologies. PDP has been wise to back out of these "debates" because it would probably be a debate of attacks rather than a debate of who's plan is better. I'm not saying PDP is a better party or have better candidates but from a standpoint of being in the pole position, they do not have to stoop to exchange words. Most of you (and even candidates like Bakare) throwing tantrums at Sambo for not showing up will be less inclined to do so if you had such an advantage. This is politics in Nigeria. I'm sure some of you watched the Lagos "debate". How many plans were carefully articulated there? Can anyone tell me any difference in idealogies between the parties? Everyone had the usual promises but no depth in implementation. Can you imagine a gubernatorial candidate saying he'd build houses without cement?  grin Most of the time, the other candidates verbally attacked Fashola. Fashola on the other hand, I thought was woeful, but with shallow candidates by his sides, he was a star. I'm glad the "debate" held to show Nigerians how shallow some of these politicians are; they are the same ones trying to pull a blinder for the Presidential elections.

Some of you yakking here lack basic understanding of how the Nigerian electorial process works. When PDP wins, most would say the election was rigged. However, with only a few weeks to a presidential election, if you do a simple research, you'd find out that PDP have done better overall "leg work" than any other party in the country. They have gone into so many rural areas to drum up votes; yes, people live in rural areas and are eligible to vote, not just Lagos and Abuja. Other parties think they can win the Nigerian election on the internet or on TV (I laugh in Hausa). A significant number of people in Nigeria do not even have electricity to watch TV or go online. If these parties cannot go to rural areas to even lie to them to get their votes, how are they going to cater for these folks when they get into office? People like Bakare are just making noise about not trusting Jega. The fact is, every party will try to rig the election in their favour (that's Nigeria for you); however, parties are only able to rig elections where they are strong; that's simple common sense. PDP will not be successful in rigging an election in Lagos just as ACN will not be successful in rigging the polls in Kaduna.

People should open their eyes and start asking these folks about their so-called mandates are and how they plan to accomplish them. I've gone through most campaign sites (where one would think the candidates would have a more detailed plan) and nothing suggests that they'd be any different from the current administration. Methinks that some of them are a disaster waiting to happen, if they ever get into office. As my Warri people would say, shine your eye well well and do not let anyone confuse you with grammer.

Quite frankly, there's no party (or candidate) I can recommend. What I know for sure is that if this current govt is voted out, the new govt (no matter how genuine their intentions are) will not be effective enough to do anything till around their third year in office and then they'd have to restart their campaign for a second term. Can Nigerians sustain another three years of inactivity? Dunno but do not blame a new government  for being ineffective in its early years. GEJ and his people have not been able to do anything  substantial and he has been in power for less than a year. This is the Nigerian way of doing things; you get into power, clear house and you have to pay hommage to the several pockets of power houses in the country (there's nothing you can do about it). Like I usually say, with the way our failed system is set up, even Moses will have big problems leading Nigerians to the promised land (wherever that is).

Excellent piece!!
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Aderupoko2: 9:10pm On Mar 12, 2011
AIT is a PDP station.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by zankey(m): 9:11pm On Mar 12, 2011
They are showing it now again, Catch up with the re-air of the VP debate 9pm, 12am & 3am this evening on NN24, DSTV channel 414.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by zankey(m): 9:12pm On Mar 12, 2011
They are showing it now again, Catch up with the re-air of the VP debate 9pm, 12am & 3am this evening on NN24, DSTV channel 414.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Ganjafama(m): 9:34pm On Mar 12, 2011
Aderupoko2:

AIT is a PDP station.
Nigerians and speculations ! Na wa o!
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by blacksta(m): 9:42pm On Mar 12, 2011
BEN UK sky channel 184

is showing it as well
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Limaoscar: 9:46pm On Mar 12, 2011
The debate i hear is currently being re-aired, so if you're in Nigeria please tune in and give those of us in diaspora crisp commentary.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by proudly9ja(m): 9:51pm On Mar 12, 2011
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by KennyG6(m): 9:57pm On Mar 12, 2011
blacksta:

BEN UK sky channel 184

is showing it as well
what a waste of my time, they should have tagged it "PDP bashing debate". The 3 of them seemed to agree on most things which is worrying in itself,
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by proudly9ja(m): 9:59pm On Mar 12, 2011
^^^
Maybe because that is truly our problem in Nigeria now?
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by boladez(m): 10:19pm On Mar 12, 2011
God , Nigeria has bright brains we have no business being a third world country.

PDP has raped this country for so long. Let us boot them out for good. Goodluck has nothing to offer us , I was his stauch supporter until I saw the bodies in Jos, bombings all over, kidnappings, power problems and the impunity of that party. It is clear they have dared Nigerians by not attendinjg this debate and we will vote their theiving asses out
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 10:29pm On Mar 12, 2011
Dokpesi is an active member of GEJ's campaign team. It is not speculation, it is confirmed.

As per the debate, i wish we could have all those guys in the next government. It was a parade of crdible, reliable, intelligent technocrats. The only issue i have is with the moderator and the way she kept time. NN24 needs to add more professionalism.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Parnassuss(m): 10:32pm On Mar 12, 2011
I think that GEJ will win this election  but parliament will come strongly under opposition control. If this happens, the fellow (GEJ) will be forced to ACT like a decent human being (lord knows I don't think he is) or risk being under siege from the opposition. This will bring progress, albeit very slow one. What would expedite the process would be to vote BB or Ribadu/Ade into power, however with PDP's aggressive campaigning and spending, there is only a slim chance of that happening.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 10:33pm On Mar 12, 2011
@Kenny G
Kenny_G:

what a waste of my time, they should have tagged it "PDP bashing debate". The 3 of them seemed to agree on most things which is worrying in itself,
I wonder why u are surprised that these gentlemen found a common ground. PDP has been in power for the past 12 years. they are a common enemy to all Nigerians. In as much as they agreed on obvious issues like power, security, job creation etc, they have different approaches to solving the problems. But as u will agree, if we all sit down and discuss without being selfish in anyway, we will all see that our problem is a three letter acronym: PDP
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by KennyG6(m): 10:38pm On Mar 12, 2011
deezzle:

@Kenny GI wonder why u are surprised that these gentlemen found a common ground. PDP has been in power for the past 12 years. they are a common enemy to all Nigerians. In as much as they agreed on obvious issues like power, security, job creation etc, they have different approaches to solving the problems. But as u will agree, if we all sit down and discuss without being selfish in anyway, we will all see that our problem is a three letter acronym: PDP
Nigeria's problem predates PDP, and while it might be fashionable to bash GEJ/PDP the harsh reality of the day is that these guys need to come up with clear cut ideas as to how to wrest the country from its current decline. Personally, listening to the three of them didn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever and my fear is that voting for any of them might just end up being same old story
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by bodejohn(m): 10:45pm On Mar 12, 2011
, the problem of Nigeria is very much basic, I do not have any concerns about all candidates agreeing on issues as these are seen by all Nigerians day and night but my concern is the way they plan to address these problems. It is a fact that nations are not built by luck, we need to think before we vote this time.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 10:45pm On Mar 12, 2011
I disagree with you.

If the only reason i will be voting for Buhari is because of his will to perform, if the only reason i will be voting for bakare is because of his passion for nigeria, then so be it. i think you need to take time to read their manifesto and read thru buhari's achievement while in office. he was there for barely a year and he did a lot for this country. the promises pdp are making now are a remix of what they started promising 12yrs ago.

A major move which the BB ticket promises is not just the outright removal of corruption from pur system but also an end to the cycle of corrupt politicians instating their proteges so as to be protected. if that is done, u will be surprised at how quickly things will move.

Jonathan is responsible for watever corrupt acts commited by people around him since he was the one who appointed them. so the story that he is not corrupt personally doesnt cut it
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Genbuhari3: 10:46pm On Mar 12, 2011
Bakare won this debate hands down. no sentiments. the  most calm, confident, erudite and detailed speaker. even the foreigners here beside me believes so!
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Udevex: 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2011
I'm surprised this thread is even running. We had three empty men bashing PDP, making sky high promises without telling us how they will be acheived, reading from prepared notes for the simplest questions and wasting viewers time.

It was a very low grade affair that I had to force myself through in the vain hope that a nugget would drop at some point. None did.

Oyegun was as expected, mr average, feeling lucky to be on the podium and speaking like he was at a family meeting.
Bakare was a disgrace, his delivery was jumbled, shoddy and name-dropper style, he spoke with a false accent and a false lisp. Why in God's good name, would a healthy adult pretend to be disabled?
Adeola was the most sincere, but he was grossly unprepared and shambolic, he even had to read 100% of his answer on what he thought the job of VP was.

With all that reading, the questions were clearly sent ahead of time. Shame on the 3 aspirants. IMHO, the TV debates are a waste of everyones time.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Genbuhari3: 10:51pm On Mar 12, 2011
U dey vex?

Nothing makes sense to PRO GEJ fools. so we are not surprised by your remarks
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by KennyG6(m): 10:54pm On Mar 12, 2011
But the point is they didnt come up with anything other than the usual banal about how dire the last 12 years have been, at least convince the populace that they have thought long and hard about how they intend to reverse the fortunes of the nation
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by sbeezy8: 10:56pm On Mar 12, 2011
U de vex?:

I'm surprised this thread is even running. We had three empty men bashing PDP, making sky high promises without telling us how they will be acheived, reading from prepared notes for the simplest questions and wasting viewers time.

It was a very low grade affair that I had to force myself through in the vain hope that a nugget would drop at some point. None did.

Oyegun was as expected, mr average, feeling lucky to be on the podium and speaking like he was at a family meeting.
Bakare was a disgrace, his delivery was jumbled, shoddy and name-dropper style, he spoke with a false accent and a false lisp. Why in God's good name, would a healthy adult pretend to be disabled?
Adeola was the most sincere, but he was grossly unprepared and shambolic, he even had to read 100% of his answer on what he thought the job of VP was.

With all that reading, the questions were clearly sent ahead of time. Shame on the 3 aspirants. IMHO, the TV debates are a waste of everyones time.

but wheres sambo
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 10:57pm On Mar 12, 2011
i vote that U de Vex be ignored.

If u guys had listened, they all tried to describe how they will do it but didnt u nitice that they had just a few minutes to describe. They had no choice but to summarise
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Udevex: 10:59pm On Mar 12, 2011
Genbuhari3:

Bakare won this debate hands down. no sentiments. the  most calm, confident, erudite and detailed speaker. even the foreigners here beside me believes so!

Foreigners tell you about Nigeria? shocked
Dude, that is so beyond the pale!

You need to learn about your country for yourself, maybe take a year or two out, before hitting the politics section.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 11:03pm On Mar 12, 2011
i dont see anything wrong in foreigners agreeing to whether an issue debated was well argued or not. at least, it is said in english.

u can see for urself that u are just not being reasonable because ur points are just plain illogical. u are just trying to shoot everything that is anti pdp down. well, wake up and smell the coffee, nigerians are realising daily how much of an enemy the pdp is. wat do u have to say about the decoration of etteh with 2 national awards?
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by naso2(m): 11:03pm On Mar 12, 2011
As an unrepentant GEJ fan , I must confess i felt really bad when i learnt PDP had pulled out of the debate for lack of structure by the organisers. However seeing this show by three men eyeing the post of VP  brings it clearer that the PDP was not wrong afterall. The questioning by the organisers was not even proper. The channels Guber  debates I have watched are miles ahead of this useless charade.

Secondly the candidates more or less gave speeches akin to manisfestos in SUG elections in schools. The HOW of the matter was not addressed, and as usual oga pastor did not "disappoint" . I STILL DEY LAUGH.

Kenny_G:

But the point is they didnt come up with anything other than the usual banal about how dire the last 12 years have been, at least convince the populace that they have thought long and hard about how they intend to reverse the fortunes of the nation

spot on.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by jamesbellu: 11:05pm On Mar 12, 2011
fair debate i must say, I look foward to the next one-Presidential
i pray all parties will be represented.no excuses!
God bless Nigeria!
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by Udevex: 11:07pm On Mar 12, 2011
deezzle:

i vote that U de Vex be ignored.

If u guys had listened, they all tried to describe how they will do it but didnt u nitice that they had just a few minutes to describe. They had no choice but to summarise

Thats exactly why instead of Bakare making "we will aircondition all villages" style promises, he should have started with how. I recall him saying, "we will equip the hospitals with equipment, we will ensure there are drugs. . ." Before "equip the hospitals with 'equipment'" one would have thought he would say how much govt would set aside for health, where the money would be coming from and what steps would be taken to firewall it against budgetry poachers and the slippery fingers of corruption.

Magic and miracles have no place in government. We want to know, where, when and how.

TV debates are a waste of Nigerians time, let those guys get on the campaign trail and tell us what they can do, and tell it to us in very concrete terms.
Re: Vice Presidential Debate - What Do You Think As You Watch by deezzle(m): 11:10pm On Mar 12, 2011
have u ever been to any campaign rallly? am sure its the last place u will go to.
a lot of "elites" will not visit campaign rallies, hence the need for a debate.

hope u understand now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chat Room Live Report> Nnamdi Kanu Head To Ecowas Court Today / Average Police Station In Nigeria Gets N30,000 Per Quarter As Allocation—owoseni / EFCC To Appeal Judgement That Acquited Jang And Yusuf Of Corruption Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.