Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,044 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Intending UK Social Workers Get In! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intending UK Social Workers Get In! (21802 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 8:50pm On Nov 08, 2020
LagosismyHome:

There seems to be some mixup between a care worker and a social worker . From your write up your job and experience was as a Care worker and not a social worker

Social worker is what is on the shortage skill list and not a care worker . To be a social worker on the UK is heavily regulated and a care worker is not. These are very two different professional pathways

Thank you for pointing out the difference, I didn't notice them.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by LagosismyHome(f): 9:01pm On Nov 08, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

Thank you for pointing out the difference, I didn't notice them.

I believe social work has career potential for long stay in the UK in terms of starting salary is band 6 and NHS filing visa that would eventually lead to citizenship . However to work as a social worker you must either do a BSC or MSC in the UK

But care work doesnt have the same opportunities and totally different .

If anyone should aim it definitely to be a social worker not a care worker
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 6:22am On Nov 09, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I believe social work has career potential for long stay in the UK in terms of starting salary is band 6 and NHS filing visa that would eventually lead to citizenship . However to work as a social worker you must either do a BSC or MSC in the UK

But care work doesnt have the same opportunities and totally different .

If anyone should aim it definitely to be a social worker not a care worker

Very true.

I was wondering if the sponsorship system applies in Canada as in the UK, do you have any idea?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 6:25am On Nov 09, 2020
obawinner:
I like to ask, I'm still a student studying an education course, however I would like to further mac in social works in uk.
is there anything I should be doing now? I presently co founded a social impact enterprise that focuses on secondary school student.

and will it be possible to practise as a social worker at uk considering my first degree or I should just dead the hope?

thanks in anticipation.

To practice social work in the UK, you need a social work degree. Without this, it is only a pipe dream. Aim to get in social work if you want to practice.

Regulation is coming to Nigeria through the Social Work Council bill in the NASS. If passed, only people who have a qualification in social work would be allowed to practice.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by LagosismyHome(f): 6:59am On Nov 09, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

Very true.

I was wondering if the sponsorship system applies in Canada as in the UK, do you have any idea?

I don't have a single clue about Canada
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 7:55am On Nov 09, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I don't have a single clue about Canada

It's OK.
Just curious, are you in and do you practice social work in the UK?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by LagosismyHome(f): 8:44am On Nov 09, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

It's OK.
Just curious, are you in and do you practice social work in the UK?

No I am not in social work but have been researching about it recently... I have a little cousin who wants to come to UK so we are exploring opportunities that would have a higher chances of leading to permanent papers.

Hence why I started looking at social worker
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by obawinner(m): 8:59am On Nov 09, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

To practice social work in the UK, you need a social work degree. Without this, it is only a pipe dream. Aim to get in social work if you want to practice.

Regulation is coming to Nigeria through the Social Work Council bill in the NASS. If passed, only people who have a qualification in social work would be allowed to practice.
what about having a social work degree at Msc Level?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 5:14pm On Nov 09, 2020
LagosismyHome:

No I am not in social work but have been researching about it recently... I have a little cousin who wants to come to UK so we are exploring opportunities that would have a higher chances of leading to permanent papers.

Does your cousin have a degree already or is yet to?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by LagosismyHome(f): 6:05pm On Nov 09, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

Does your cousin have a degree already or is yet to?

We are looking into MSc social works in UK....
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by pastormrs: 3:27pm On Dec 01, 2020
Any certification to qualify as a SW?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2020
pastormrs:

Have a Bachelor's/ Diploma in Social Work not sure if Diploma would fly
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 5:45am On Dec 02, 2020
pastormrs:

One requires a BSc in Social Work to qualify for practice. In Nigeria, a minimum of Diploma is required for practice.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Emperornice: 10:35am On Jan 30, 2021
Please I would like to know if someone with a 1st degree in international studies and diplomacy could study for an MSC in social work's?
And if its possible to get a job in UK with the MSC bearing in mind that social work's is currently on the uk job shortage list
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 1:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
Emperornice:
Please I would like to know if someone with a 1st degree in international studies and diplomacy could study for an MSC in social work's?
And if its possible to get a job in UK with the MSC bearing in mind that social work's is currently on the uk job shortage list

Hi there,

Yes. One could get a social work job with an MSc in Social Work in the UK. Generally, one would require a post-graduate diploma to switch to a field in their undergraduate degree is completely different from their intending post-graduate degree. Although, the UK has some short programmes (short path), which allow people from other disciplines to study and practice social work. You may have to look that up online for more information.

I'd be willing to respond to any inquiries about all things social work. Feel free to ask. smiley

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Emperornice: 11:32am On Jan 31, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

Yes. One could get a social work job with an MSc in Social Work in the UK. Generally, one would require a post-graduate diploma to switch to a field in their undergraduate degree is completely different from their intending post-graduate degree. Although, the UK has some short programmes (short path), which allow people from other disciplines to study and practice social work. You may have to look that up online for more information.

I'd be willing to respond to any inquiries about all things social work. Feel free to ask. smiley

Best wishes

Please can I drop my contact so we chat better.

Thanks
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:07pm On Jan 31, 2021
Emperornice:

Thanks

You may email me your contact.

Would be OK to get in touch.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Emperornice: 9:32am On Feb 01, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

You may email me your contact.

Would be OK to get in touch.

Com
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by AltCtrlDel: 4:29pm On Feb 01, 2021
Emperornice:

Thanks

Pls I understand there's some informations or questions that might be considered private but pls let's try as much as possible to discuss on this thread so others can learn. Thanks

TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

Best wishes

Hello sir. I'm gunning for MSW in the UK come September . How are men coping in a field that is viewed as orthodox gender (female) profession?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by AltCtrlDel: 4:38pm On Feb 01, 2021
LagosismyHome:

Good day ma'am. Pls have u finally been able to fix ur cousin? Pls what's the cheapest tuition u were able to get? The least I got is £12,000 per year (course duration is 2yrs)
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by freshestAy: 12:10pm On Feb 02, 2021
AltCtrlDel:

Good day ma'am. Pls have u finally been able to fix ur cousin? Pls what's the cheapest tuition u were able to get? The least I got is £12,000 per year (course duration is 2yrs)

There are cheaper schools - Liverpool Hope University(£5700 per year), University of derby, University of Sunderland, University of Kent etc..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by AltCtrlDel: 12:50pm On Feb 02, 2021
freshestAy:

There are cheaper schools - Liverpool Hope University(£5700 per year), University of derby, University of Sunderland, University of Kent etc..

Which I could give you a million hugs "thanks".

Pls are u an intending student or ur a practicing SWer

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:40pm On Feb 02, 2021
Emperornice:

Merrymen2406 @ gmail. Com

Hi there,

I have sent you a personal email. We could keep in touch.

With best regards.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:48pm On Feb 02, 2021
AltCtrlDel:

Pls I understand there's some informations or questions that might be considered private but pls let's try as much as possible to discuss on this thread so others can learn. Thanks

Hello sir. I'm gunning for MSW in the UK come September . How are men coping in a field that is viewed as orthodox gender (female) profession?

Well, social work has been predominantly and historically practiced by women. The pioneers of social work in the US were women and in the UK, institutional welfare was initiated by the British Queen Elizabeth in the 17th century. Social work has been synonymous with charity and charity has been practiced by women hence, the overrepresentation.
Recently, men are becoming practitioners in the field and there are a few campaigns encouraging men to practice social work, especially in the US.
I don't know how men are viewed by women in the profession, but there seem to be some sort of encouragement for men's representation in the practice.

2 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2021
freshestAy:

I doubt if these rates are for international students. Make sure you double-check, especially for country-specific requirements.

I'd suggest you explore scholarship opportunities in the UK. Do your findings.

Best of luck finding an institution.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 2:51pm On Feb 02, 2021
AltCtrlDel:

For an MSc Social Work or MSW?

MSc is usually two years while MSW is one.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Emperornice: 5:02pm On Feb 02, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

With best regards.

Good evening, please I haven't received your mail, could you drop your"s so I can send you a mail
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Emperornice: 5:06pm On Feb 02, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

With best regards.

I think you sent the mail to the email I used in creating my nairaland account, I don't have access to that mail again that's why is sent you my new email
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 5:36pm On Feb 02, 2021
Emperornice:

I think you sent the mail to the email I used in creating my nairaland account, I don't have access to that mail again that's why is sent you my new email

I have sent you an email on your current email address.
Get in touch.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by AltCtrlDel: 10:02am On Feb 04, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

For an MSc Social Work or MSW?

MSc is usually two years while MSW is one.

Good morning bro. Pls could you shed a little more light on these? Are there another meaning to the abbreviations?

TIA
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 7:46am On Mar 19, 2021
AltCtrlDel:

Good morning bro. Pls could you shed a little more light on these? Are there another meaning to the abbreviations?

TIA

MSc in Social Work is a programme leading to a research-based social work degree while MSW is practice-oriented. Mostly in the US, MSW is taught than MSc. MSW requires mandatory field placement in fulfillment of the degree programme while MSc doesn't require because it is research-based.

You could google the difference up, OK?

3 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 7:47am On Mar 19, 2021
Emperornice:

I did respond to your email.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

USA Visa: Nigerian Investors, Others To Pay More / Coca-Cola Truck Kills Schoolgirl In Anambra (Graphic Photos) / Stranded Nigerians In Mali Transported In A NAF Aircraft Back Home (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.