Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Intending UK Social Workers Get In! - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intending UK Social Workers Get In! (21775 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Geminita: 4:23pm On Apr 29, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

You could apply for MSc Social Work in Nigeria through a Post-graduate Diploma programme first before going to study MSc Social Work.

Alright.. Thank you

I appreciate..
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by shinefelicity: 8:10am On May 29, 2021
Good morning,
Pls I applied for Ma social work but was offered ‘Ma childhood and youth studies’. I studied economics but have human rights experience...I’m confused, is it a part of social work? considering a partway on d skilled list.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 12:08pm On May 29, 2021
shinefelicity:
Good morning,
Pls I applied for Ma social work but was offered ‘Ma childhood and youth studies’. I studied economics but have human rights experience...I’m confused, is it a part of social work? considering a partway on d skilled list.

Nope.. it differs.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 10:55am On Jun 01, 2021
shinefelicity:
Good morning,

Hi there,
The programme you were offered to study is different from Social Work. It may be a pathway to social work but not to the skilled list.

Best wishes.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by debbydee(f): 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2021
Hello

I studied computer Education in my first degree. Can I go for school social work for my Msc/Pgd.

Thanks

Some one please respond
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Hybridz: 9:51pm On Jun 03, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Haba! Social work is studied in several universities in Nigeria as an accredited programme. I am a graduate of the programme and is offered in University of Ilorin, Calabar, Lagos, Nsukka, Babcock University, Ladoke Akintola University of Education, to name most.
...add UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN to that list!

I'm a graduate of Biochemistry,but currently studying social work at the Masters level (Health social work). What are my chances? Is there anything I can do to boost my chances?
Although,UK has never been in my mind,but a knowledge or two about it won't be a bad. idea
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Hybridz: 11:55pm On Jun 03, 2021
meetme01:

Addedum

Social work has lots of specialization but the few Universities that offer SW at UG and PG level in Nigeria relate to 5

Health or Medical Social Work
Social Welfare
Community Social Work
Industrial Social Work
School Social Work
Etc

Can you pls shed more light on the health social work
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 5:12am On Jun 04, 2021
Hybridz:

I'm a graduate of Biochemistry,but currently studying social work at the Masters level (Health social work). What are my chances? Is there anything I can do to boost my chances?
Although,UK has never been in my mind,but a knowledge or two about it won't be a bad. idea

Hello,

Your chance is high, given your Master's degree in Social Work. You may be on the look out for opportunities the moment you're done. But it is important to note you need to a registered social worker in the UK to be able to practice, or even considered for employment.
Kindly find out more about this.

Best wishes.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Hybridz: 9:23am On Jun 04, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hello,

Your chance is high, given your Master's degree in Social Work. You may be on the look out for opportunities the moment you're done. But it is important to note you need to a registered social worker in the UK to be able to practice, or even considered for employment.
Kindly find out more about this.

Best wishes.
Oh! Thanks for your response. I appreciate
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2021
Hybridz:

Health Social Work is the most lucrative and recognised (they have their own association outside Nasswork) in Nigeria.

For now,it's strictly for science background folks in UI.(Though,the policy started with our set ). Baba realised non science students rarely understand the terms in health hence,the policy.

I believe Baba Mojoyin briefed you on this during your interview. Trust me,you will enjoy every bit of the programme. Take your report seriously and endeavour to sign your log book as at when due. It's a pity you guys won't have part of his wide experience.

Well, Prof. Ayangunna will fill his space. Your field work will also be helpful especially the 90 working days in UCH. (Stressful but it's worth it)

3 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Purity1190: 7:32pm On Jun 07, 2021
Please, I have Masters in Social work and a B.sc in Biology, what are my chances for passing CORU certificate accreditation process to work in Ireland.
Thanks.

TheLasyBuddha:
Several threads have been opened especially for professions that are highly sought-after abroad.
This is space for people who are Social workers in Nigeria who intend to practice in the UK and for practicing social workers abroad.

This thread would appreciate the experience, suggestions and opinions of people who are in health or related professions to enable us reach our goals in life.

Issues to discuss would be but not limited to:

• Proper visa application procedures, tips and tricks (Tier 2 General / Health and Care Visa).

• Getting registered into Social Work England and other regulatory bodies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

• Tips on finding employment, CV and cover letter format.

• Places with high employment prospect OR opportunities.

• Places to live with considerable cost of living as a new immigrant.

• Other relevant information that would be helpful.

I look forward to receiving contributions from others.

Union Jack is the dream!
��������
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2021
Purity1190:

Please, I have Masters in Social Work and a B.sc in Biology, what are my chances for passing CORU certificate accreditation process to work in Ireland.
Thanks.

Since you have a Master's degree in Social Work, I believe CORU would certify your credentials, but it may be conditional. You may be required to take up certain courses to get up to speed with several required knowledge in social work.
Have you checked the Assessment fee? Is it cheaper compared to other regulatory bodies in the UK? I asked because, for example, it is better to have your credentials assessed and registered in Republic of Ireland and then later register with the regulatory body in the England than to register with England's regulatory body first off.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Phunkyposh(f): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2021
Please I need assistance in preparation for
masters in social work interview.
Kindly share questions and suggestions to assist.
Thank you
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2021
Phunkyposh:
Thank you

Hi there,

What University?

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Phunkyposh(f): 9:56pm On Jun 09, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Hi there,

What University?

Oxford Brookes, Teeside , Northumbria etc
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Hybridz: 10:05pm On Jun 09, 2021
meetme01:

Health Social Work is the most lucrative and recognised (they have their own association outside Nasswork) in Nigeria.

For now,it's strictly for science background folks in UI.(Though,the policy started with our set ). Baba realised non science students rarely understand the terms in health hence,the policy.

I believe Baba Mojoyin briefed you on this during your interview. Trust me,you will enjoy every bit of the programme. Take your report seriously and endeavour to sign your log book as at when due. It's a pity you guys won't have part of his wide experience.

Well, Prof. Ayangunna will fill his space. Your field work will also be helpful especially the 90 working days in UCH. (Stressful but it's worth it)
Oh! This is really helpful. I really appreciate your insight on the matter.

Talking about Baba,i don't know Baba Mojoyin yet,or maybe he has retired,but Profs. Ayangunna and Ajala have both been wonderful in these past few days.

You certainly finished from there. Who knows whether you are one of the ex-students being referenced in today's class sef wink

Thanks for your insight once again.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Oteote: 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2021
Greetings.. Nice reading all the updates here
I am currently in an ongoing application to study social work at De Montfort University liechester...
I am a single 37yrs doing a civil service jobs that pays less than 70k monthly.. Prospects don't look good at my job

Pls what are my future prospects if I am finally given the admission and visa to go ahead n study.. N/B I am not self sponsoring my self... I am thinking of getting partial sponsorship from family and maybe hustle the rest while I work n study if I eventually get to the uk..

Anyone doing this same course in the uk who can give me more info about studying in liechester and positive post study options after study.... I anticipate positive response Thanks

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 8:36pm On Jun 12, 2021
Oteote:
Greetings.. Nice reading all the updates here
I am currently in an ongoing application to study social work at De Montfort University liechester...
I am a single 37yrs doing a civil service jobs that pays less than 70k monthly.. Prospects don't look good at my job

Pls what are my future prospects if I am finally given the admission and visa to go ahead n study.. N/B I am not self sponsoring my self... I am thinking of getting partial sponsorship from family and maybe hustle the rest while I work n study if I eventually get to the uk..

Anyone doing this same course in the uk who can give me more info about studying in liechester and positive post study options after study.... I anticipate positive response Thanks

You did not specify the intending level and your qualification(s).
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by debbydee(f): 11:43pm On Jun 12, 2021
Hello All
i have been able to narrow my search to some schools offering post graduate diploma in Social works but they are quite expensive,
Some of the schools i got are
Middlesex university
university of sussex
university of brigthon
oxford brookes university
liver pool hope university

please if you find any other school kindly share. Las las we will smile.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Oteote: 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2021
I intend to do an MA in social works... I have a BA already in creative arts but a few yrs work experience working for an NGO

You did not specify the intending level and your qualification(s).[/quote]
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Fiestafetta: 3:34pm On Aug 07, 2021
Good day everyone, please I have a sister, she is a registered social worker (MSW) in nigeria with a Bsc sociology background. She intends to relocate to the UK but facing challenges on how to realized her dreams. She wants to know if her MSW degree is OK for her to be eligible or she needs to go for another course in the UK. And how she could register with northern Ireland council because seems their website does not have maximum information to set go..... Any idea with be appreciated.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 1:18am On Aug 08, 2021
Fiestafetta:
Good day everyone, please I have a sister, she is a registered social worker (MSW) in nigeria with a Bsc sociology background. She intends to relocate to the UK but facing challenges on how to realized her dreams. She wants to know if her MSW degree is OK for her to be eligible or she needs to go for another course in the UK. And how she could register with northern Ireland council because seems their website does not have maximum information to set go..... Any idea with be appreciated.

There is a Health Care registration body in Northern Ireland called CORU, you'll have to do BSC or Masters in Social work before being able to register with them

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Fiestafetta: 10:03am On Aug 16, 2021
Richdee1:

There is a Health Care registration body in Northern Ireland called CORU, you'll have to do BSC or Masters in Social work before being able to register with them

Thanks for your reply... You mean with her Nigeria masters degree she can proceed to register? If yes, what next after the registration? Thanks so much
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Fiestafetta: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2021
Richdee1:

It seems CORU is for people that want to practice in the Ireland and not UK..... Please enlighten me further
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2021
Fiestafetta:

It seems CORU is for people that want to practice in the Ireland and not UK..... Please enlighten me further

Yea you're right, seems I forgot Ireland is not part of UK anymore

I really don't know how she can immigrate when she already has masters in Nigeria

Please ask your questions on the UK thread on this section
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by CalabarDude(m): 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2021
Am A Social Work Student,in The Unical, We Are Underated In Nigeria Thats Why U Wnt Hear A Lot Abt Social Workers Here, But I Believe Its My Dream Career And I Have Prospects Of Practicing It Outside Nigeria, If U Ar A Social Worker ,try Gettin Urself Involve With The Red Cross,rotary Club,and International Ngos That Can Gv U The Necessary Platform And Link To A Better Opportunity Outside Nigeria,
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 8:54pm On Aug 19, 2021
CalabarDude:
Am A Social Work Student,in The Unical, We Are Underated In Nigeria Thats Why U Wnt Hear A Lot Abt Social Workers Here, But I Believe Its My Dream Career And I Have Prospects Of Practicing It Outside Nigeria, If U Ar A Social Worker ,try Gettin Urself Involve With The Red Cross,rotary Club,and International Ngos That Can Gv U The Necessary Platform And Link To A Better Opportunity Outside Nigeria,

If you have International NGOs that are recruiting or One can apply for as an intern
Please post it for us here. Or Graduate Trainee

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by CalabarDude(m): 9:52am On Aug 20, 2021
Richdee1:

If you have International NGOs that are recruiting or One can apply for as an intern
Please post it for us here. Or Graduate Trainee
Try Fhi360,google Others
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by oyukuwife: 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2021
Hello.
Please how did ut interview go. Am about to apply for admission for Masters in social work.
Please can I contact you for further assistance.

Phunkyposh:
Thank you
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by ojokolade: 7:15am On Oct 09, 2021
Have you applied...How did it go.... Can I contact you...koladeolutola.ojo@gmail.com

oyukuwife:
Hello.
Please how did ut interview go. Am about to apply for admission for Masters in social work.
Please can I contact you for further assistance.

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by zinaunreal(m): 8:57am On Oct 25, 2021
Cousin9999:

If you have real professional training, especially something like law, don't reduce yourself to the "profession" of social work unless you intend to go to med school and be a trained, certified psychiatrist. Social work is a dumping ground. It's almost like being a corrections or parole officer. Despite any amount of training, social workers often have about as much understanding of human behavior as a prison guard. They typically take the job because they can't get any other decent job.

Don't get me wrong, you can do good work as a social worker, but that depends on whether or not you actually want to and if you're even tasked with that. It also depends on if you have the stomach and resilience, and actual concern for human beings, to confront hard situations and help people.

Stop spreading ignorance.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rivers Monorail: Is This The End Of Africa's First Monorail? / Arik Air In Customers’ Data Leak Mess / Important Advice To Students Coming To The UK

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.