Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Intending UK Social Workers Get In! - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intending UK Social Workers Get In! (21744 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Oreoluwanimi(f): 1:04pm On Mar 20, 2021
I am glad I found this page.

Thank you so much guys.

The above information has been useful.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 12:41am On Mar 21, 2021
Oreoluwanimi:
I am glad I found this page.

Thank you so much guys.

The above information has been useful.

Meanwhile, don't hesitate to ask questions. We would be happy to explore them.

With best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by valcorp: 6:32pm On Mar 21, 2021
For the record I don't think there's any university in Nigeria offering Social Work as a course. Social Work is highly demanding and also rewarding profession where you have to put service users first before yourself. You will have to do alot of liaison with other health professionals, council, agencies and all to ensure the service user gets what you feel will help them live a better and more independent life. If you aren't ready for loads of paper work, having to establish personal contacts with service users, be objective in ur reports( without of course having to get emotionally attached which will be dangerous for your career) then I suggest u don't study social works.

Focusmind:

You are correct. But migrating as a social worker to UK from Nigeria may prove extremely difficult. It is not in a shortage occupation and getting a sponsor will be near impossible as there are lot of qualified residents.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 10:16pm On Mar 21, 2021
valcorp:

For the record I don't think there's any university in Nigeria offering Social Work as a course. Social Work is highly demanding and also rewarding profession where you have to put service users first before yourself. You will have to do alot of liaison with other health professionals, council, agencies and all to ensure the service user gets what you feel will help them live a better and more independent life. If you aren't ready for loads of paper work, having to establish personal contacts with service users, be objective in ur reports( without of course having to get emotionally attached which will be dangerous for your career) then I suggest u don't study social works.

Haba! Social work is studied in several universities in Nigeria as an accredited programme. I am a graduate of the programme and is offered in University of Ilorin, Calabar, Lagos, Nsukka, Babcock University, Ladoke Akintola University of Education, to name most.

4 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 9:36pm On Mar 23, 2021
valcorp:

You don't know anything about the course!
Try do research before you come online to post.
And it's not Social Works, it's Social Work

This is my course and I'm proud of it!
no use mouth spoil am abeg

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by mzkolawole: 10:43pm On Mar 27, 2021
Please can I apply for social work UK university with background in law?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Cousin9999: 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
mzkolawole:

If you have real professional training, especially something like law, don't reduce yourself to the "profession" of social work unless you intend to go to med school and be a trained, certified psychiatrist. Social work is a dumping ground. It's almost like being a corrections or parole officer. Despite any amount of training, social workers often have about as much understanding of human behavior as a prison guard. They typically take the job because they can't get any other decent job.

Don't get me wrong, you can do good work as a social worker, but that depends on whether or not you actually want to and if you're even tasked with that. It also depends on if you have the stomach and resilience, and actual concern for human beings, to confront hard situations and help people.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2021
Cousin9999:

If you have real professional training, especially something like law, don't reduce yourself to the "profession" of social work unless you intend to go to med school and be a trained, certified psychiatrist. Social work is a dumping ground. It's almost like being a corrections or parole officer. Despite any amount of training, social workers often have about as much understanding of human behavior as a prison guard. They typically take the job because they can't get any other decent job.

Don't get me wrong, you can do good work as a social worker, but that depends on whether or not you actually want to and if you're even tasked with that. It also depends on if you have the stomach and resilience, and actual concern for human beings, to confront hard situations and help people.

Social work is not dumping ground as you have stated because they play critical role in the multidisciplinary approach in the provision of health care service.

I work in a psychiatric facility and I know very well the Psychiatrist you mentioned can not effectively help a patient without the skill set of the social worker as he/she is the bridge that links the patient's family/community to the specialized care the patient receives, assess the background of the patient if qualified for subsidy or free healthcare and follow up on how the patient's medication adherence upon discharge and how he/she is re-integrating in the family and community. It is no small role.

I will agree with you on the aspect of one must truly have the passion to want to help.others.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Cousin9999: 7:37pm On Mar 30, 2021
Mindlog:

Social work is not dumping ground as you have stated because they play critical role in the multidisciplinary approach in the provision of health care service.

In theory, they are well-trained, compassionate people who play a critical role in healthcare. In the real world, many if not most social workers are people who could not get good jobs elsewhere, or lack the work ethic/maturity/etc to work elsewhere. The job is undesirable because of the terrible things many witness and deal with along with safety issues, and due to low pay until you're senior in your career and have certain credentials. Social workers are also treated poorly by managers and co-workers. It's a result of job demands, a lack of professionalism, and the fact that many unqualified people do the job for all the wrong reasons.

I work in a psychiatric facility and I know very well the Psychiatrist you mentioned can not effectively help a patient without the skill set of the social worker as he/she is the bridge that links the patient's family/community to the specialized care the patient receives, assess the background of the patient if qualified for subsidy or free healthcare and follow up on how the patient's medication adherence upon discharge and how he/she is re-integrating in the family and community. It is no small role.

Psychiatrists are infinitely more qualified to act in every capacity as social workers do, and obviously well beyond. And a social worker isn't necessary for things like determining subsidies. Medical billing people and similar functions can easily cover that. Facilities opt for social workers when they don't have good funding, don't care about quality, or simply can't find psychiatrists due to the massive shortage of them internationally. Social workers being cheap and easily manipulated to endure bad working conditions is the main motivation.

I will agree with you on the aspect of one must truly have the passion to want to help.others.

Psychiatrists best social workers in this area too. They're fascinated by the mind, want to help people, enjoy helping people, are better prepared to tackle challenging things, and they take the job by choice, not out of desperation.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 1:11am On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:

In theory, they are well-trained, compassionate people who play a critical role in healthcare. In the real-world, many if not most social workers are people who could not get good jobs elsewhere, or lack the work ethic/maturity/etc to work elsewhere. The job is undesirable because of the terrible things many witness and deal with along with safety issues, and due to low pay until you're senior in your career and have certain credentials. Social workers are also treated poorly by managers and co-workers. It's a result of job demands, a lack of professionalism, and the fact that many unqualified people do the job for all the wrong reasons.

Psychiatrists are infinitely more qualified to act in every capacity as social workers do, and obviously well beyond. And a social worker isn't necessary for things like determining subsidies, medical billing people and similar functions can easily cover that. Facilities opt for social workers when they don't have good funding, don't care about quality, or simply can't find psychiatrists due to the massive shortage of them internationally. Social workers being cheap and easily manipulated to endure bad working conditions is the main motivation.

Psychiatrists best social workers in this area too. They're fascinated by the mind, want to help people, enjoy helping people, are better prepared to tackle challenging things, and they take the job by choice, not out of desperation.

Then why is "Social worker' a protected title in the UK, which is the focus of the thread? A proof that it is a highly regulated profession and not for people who could not get good jobs elsewhere! Why do you think a very small percentage of UK Universities have places for international students to come do their studies in it?

A Psychiatrist is not trained to be a social worker, he/she cannot play the roles of the social worker, psychotherapist, occupational therapist etc because he/she has a medical degree and note not ALL mental health issues requires the involvement of a Psychiatrist reason the biopsychosocial approach to intervention.

When determinig bills of the patients (in government-owned psychiatric facility) from low economic strata, the social worker is very key as it is his/her responsibility to go verify where the patient is coming from, do the assessment and forward the outcome to the billing team or is it the job of the psychiatrist or billing department to do those in the psychiatric facility where you work in?

Getting patients the resources and support for treatment and re-integration before and after hospitalization is not in the job description of the Psychiatrist. If the patient has been homeless, it is the job of the.social worker to liase with the police to trace the family not the Psychiatrist.

Don't use the standard of social work in Nigeria as same in the UK which this thread is about.

4 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Cousin9999: 2:05am On Mar 31, 2021
Mindlog:

Then why is "Social worker' a protected title in the UK, which is the focus of the thread? A proof that it is a highly regulated profession and not for people who could not get good jobs elsewhere! Why do you think a very small percentage of UK Universities have places for international students to come do their studies in it?

"Teacher" is also a protected title, but there's no shortage of people who chose teaching because you can get away with not doing much or being accountable.

Why would they be desperate for foreign social workers when they have plenty of local bums to do it. They welcome internationals because it's a job no one really wants, and many internationals are willing to endure every bad thing about it for citizenship.

A Psychiatrist is not trained to be a social worker, he/she cannot play the roles of the social worker, psychotherapist, occupational therapist etc because he/she has a medical degree and note not ALL mental health issues requires the involvement of a Psychiatrist reason the biopsychosocial approach to intervention.

They literally can and do perform those roles. lol It's just easier and cheaper to hire a social worker.

When determinig bills of the patients (in government-owned psychiatric facility) from low economic strata, the social worker is very key as it is his/her responsibility to go verify where the patient is coming from, do the assessment and forward the outcome to the billing team or is it the job of the psychiatrist or billing department to do those in the psychiatric facility where you work in?

Any competent medical billing clerk can do these things. Software can even do it. A social worker is not necessary for matching people to low income benefits. lol

Getting patients the resources and support for treatment and re-integration before and after hospitalization is not in the job description of the Psychiatrist. If the patient has been homeless, it is the job of the.social worker to liase with the police to trace the family not the Psychiatrist.

Fair argument. That's one thing a social worker is good for.

Don't use the standard of social work in Nigeria as same in the UK which this thread is about.

You sound uneducated. Are you a social worker? lol
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 2:31am On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:

"Teacher" is also a protected title, but there's no shortage of people who chose teaching because you can get away with not doing much or being accountable.

Why would they be desperate for foreign social workers when they have plenty of local bums to do it. They welcome internationals because it's a job no one really wants, and many internationals are willing to endure every bad thing about it for citizenship.

They literally can and do perform those roles. lol It's just easier and cheaper to hire a social worker.

Any competent medical billing clerk can do these things. Software can even do it. A social worker is not necessary for matching people to low income benefits. lol

Fair argument. That's one thing a social worker is good for.

You sound uneducated. Are you a social worker? lol

I sound uneducated while you have no idea of what a protected title is, in the UK as UK is our focus? cheesy cheesy

Showing off and insisting on your ignorance seems to act as a stimulant for you!

"You know nothing, Jon Snow" cheesy cheesy

I am not a social worker and will never diminish the roles social workers play because working alongside them daily, I regard them as everyday heroes for what they bring into the multidisciplinary team.

4 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Cousin9999: 4:37am On Mar 31, 2021
Mindlog:

I sound uneducated while you have no idea of what a protected title is, in the UK as UK is our focus? cheesy cheesy

QTS
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/teaching-regulation-agency

Close enough. I was mistakingly under the impression that the UK, like the US, actually cares enough about their children to enforce certification or licensing. My bad.

Showing off and insisting on your ignorance seems to act as a stimulant for you!

"You know nothing, Jon Snow" cheesy cheesy

Instead of making a point and backing it up, you attempt to insult me. That is ignorant.

I am not a social worker and will never diminish the roles social workers play because working alongside them daily, I regard them as everyday heroes

So basically, you know nothing about their "profession," and you're here to spam. Gotcha! wink
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 5:54am On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:

QTS
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/teaching-regulation-agency

Close enough. I was mistakingly under the impression that the UK, like the US, actually cares enough about their children to enforce certification or licensing. My bad.

Instead of making a point and backing it up, you attempt to insult me. That is ignorant.

So basically, you know nothing about their "profession," and you're here to spam. Gotcha! wink

Attempt to insult you? shocked I guess "you sound uneducated" is a compliment in the world you live in. cheesy cheesy

My specialty is in Psychology and during undergrad, social work was a core focus in our community counselling course and daily working as a team which includes the social workers at the hospital, I guess that qualifies me as I know nothing about their "profession," ! cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by justwise(m): 8:52am On Mar 31, 2021
Cousin9999:

In theory, they are well-trained, compassionate people who play a critical role in healthcare. In the real world, many if not most social workers are people who could not get good jobs elsewhere, or lack the work ethic/maturity/etc to work elsewhere. The job is undesirable because of the terrible things many witness and deal with along with safety issues, and due to low pay until you're senior in your career and have certain credentials. Social workers are also treated poorly by managers and co-workers. It's a result of job demands, a lack of professionalism, and the fact that many unqualified people do the job for all the wrong reasons.

Dude what exactly are you on about? Your argument makes no sense, you are describing a social worker as if you are talking about cleaning job.

7 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Cousin9999: 6:54pm On Mar 31, 2021
Mindlog:

Attempt to insult you? shocked I guess "you sound uneducated" is a compliment in the world you live in. cheesy cheesy

Anyone who would draw a conclusion like that or fix their fingers to type that about Nigeria sounds woefully uneducated. And if you're actually black or Nigerian, it's shameful.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Richdee1(m): 1:36am On Apr 01, 2021
Cousin9999:

Anyone who would draw a conclusion like that or fix their fingers to type that about Nigeria sounds woefully uneducated. And if you're actually black or Nigerian, it's shameful.

I know you sound quite educated on travel thread,but you demeaning Social Work Profession is a NO NO

Don't ever compare Social Work with Cleaners, and they are not underpaid

If you don't know anything about the discipline, just chill and learn from others who are in the field
Don't tarnish your Image on a Public forum because you wanna sound woke

6 Likes

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2021
Richdee1:

You don't know anything about the course!
Try do research before you come online to post.
And it's not Social Works, it's Social Work

This is my course and I'm proud of it!
no use mouth spoil am abeg

I believe he has done quite some impressive research into what social workers do at work, which is good, especially for someone who isn't into the field. But his research isn't extensive to note social work is studied and actually practiced in Nigeria.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 4:00pm On Apr 12, 2021
mzkolawole:

Yes, it is possible. But you may have to earn a Post-graduate Diploma for you to make the switch.
If you're in the UK, you may use the Step-Up Social Work pathway. It's for people who would like to practice social work but to not have the requisite educational requirements or knowledge.

Check it up.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 4:03pm On Apr 12, 2021
Cousin9999:

This is absolutely a wrong and demeaning perception of social work profession. Social work is an essential profession, which is highly respected in developed countries.
There's so much more of social work you do not know and I'd suggest you do your findings before you make comments that not informed.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 4:05pm On Apr 12, 2021
Mindlog:

May I ask which of the psychiatric hospitals?
Also, I'd like to know the job prospect of social workers in your facility.
I am a recent graduate and looking for where to ply my trade.

1 Like

Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

May I ask which of the psychiatric hospitals?
Also, I'd like to know the job prospect of social workers in your facility.
I am a recent graduate and looking for where to ply my trade.

It is outside Nigeria and I am leaving as I am heading to the UK for further studies.

Is it possible for you to get accredited with the professional body of social work of an English speaking country outside Africa, preferably UK or Ireland?

For example, I did my undergrad Psychology outside the UK and after graduation, I pushed for my qualification to be recognised and
get the registration with the British Psychological Society. I did scale through and was granted the Graduate membership (MBPsS) which qualifies me to apply for Assistant Psychologist role in the UK.

With the MBPsS already achieved, all I need to get accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland is to submit my MBPsS accreditation alongside €260 then I would be registered and eligible to work in Ireland.

In all, what I want you to know is that to be eligible to apply to work in protected professional fields like social work and psychology in the UK or Ireland, you need to get registered with their bodies.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Fiestafetta: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2021
I'm very happy to come across this thread. Please as someone that have Bsc in sociology as first degree and MSW as second degree, how can I start processing to work and live either in UK or Canada? I'm asking on behalf of a sister.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

For an MSc Social Work or MSW?

MSc is usually two years while MSW is one.

Nope.. In Nigeria

MSW is Masters in Social Work.. It's a professional Masters hence, you can't use it to further except you do Mphil while M.Sc is academic Masters in Social Work. You can use this to lecture and further for P.hD if you meet the grade.

MSW is 2yrs while M.Sc is the normal 18months.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 7:17pm On Apr 28, 2021
Fiestafetta:
I'm very happy to come across this thread. Please as someone that have Bsc in sociology as first degree and MSW as second degree, how can I start processing to work and live either in UK or Canada? I'm asking on behalf of a sister.

The UK route is not ready simplified. There is no link to that effect after series of google search.

You can join the Canadian thread to understand how Canada works.
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 7:19pm On Apr 28, 2021
Mindlog:

Addedum

Social work has lots of specialization but the few Universities that offer SW at UG and PG level in Nigeria relate to 5

Health or Medical Social Work
Social Welfare
Community Social Work
Industrial Social Work
School Social Work
Etc
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 7:23pm On Apr 28, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Haba! Social work is studied in several universities in Nigeria as an accredited programme. I am a graduate of the programme and is offered in University of Ilorin, Calabar, Lagos, Nsukka, Babcock University, Ladoke Akintola University of Education, to name most.

More to the list

UI @ DLC @ UG level and MSW @PG
Redeemers University
Only Nsukka offers the course @ M.Sc and P.hD level
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 7:45pm On Apr 28, 2021
meetme01:

Addedum

Social work has lots of specialization but the few Universities that offer SW at UG and PG level in Nigeria relate to 5

Health or Medical Social Work
Social Welfare
Community Social Work
Industrial Social Work
School Social Work
Etc

Do any offer Psychiatric Social work?
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by meetme01: 9:13am On Apr 29, 2021
Mindlog:

Do any offer Psychiatric Social work?

They categorize it under Medical/Health Social Work
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Mindlog: 9:16am On Apr 29, 2021
meetme01:

They categorize it under Medical/Health Social Work

Good to know. Once toyed with the idea of doing
Postgraduate Diploma in Psychiatric Social Work. cheesy
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by Geminita: 10:24am On Apr 29, 2021
TheLasyBuddha:

Meanwhile, don't hesitate to ask questions. We would be happy to explore them.

With best wishes.

Good morning ma/sir. I am an health education student.

Can I apply for MSC social work
Re: Intending UK Social Workers Get In! by TheLasyBuddha: 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2021
Geminita:

Good morning ma/sir. I am an health education student.

Can I apply for MSC social work

Hi there,

You could apply for MSc Social Work in Nigeria through a Post-graduate Diploma programme first before going to study MSc Social Work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fatal Accident Between Truck And Keke Leaves Two Dead In Imo State. Photos / Nigerian Immigration To Introduce Various Visa Categories / AirAsia QZ8501: Forty Bodies Found In Missing Plane Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.