Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Why Do You Love Flutter - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do You Love Flutter (1440 Views)

Which Of Them Is Better To Learn (flutter Or Java) / Between Flutter And Data Science, Which Do I Choose.. / Flutter Vs React Native Vs Xamarin For Cross Platform Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Love Flutter by NobleEugene5(m): 8:55pm On Oct 30, 2020
I've been learning ionic development for somedays now. But wherever I go, I see Nigerian programmers developing their apps in flutter. So my esteemed nairaland programmers, please tell me what you enjoy the most about flutter .
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by parkervero(m): 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2020
NobleEugene5:
I've been learning ionic development for somedays now. But wherever I go, I see Nigerian programmers developing their apps in flutter. So my esteemed nairaland programmers, please tell me what you enjoy the most about flutter .
Flutter (Dart) I think it's easy and it's a cross platform meaning you write a that works on both Android and iOS. But native app development is better with Java /Kotlin.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Karleb(m): 10:17pm On Oct 30, 2020
Personally, I think it is shiny object syndrome.

Everyone wanna learn the latest tech.

I don't know about Ionic but React Native has been around before Flutter, it definitely has more jobs than Flutter.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 9:38am On Oct 31, 2020
NobleEugene5:

Warning, long answer ahead.

To know why people use Flutter, let's get the big picture. There are presently four ways to create mobile apps - Android and iOS apps.
1. Progressive Web App: this is simply a responsive web app developed with HTML/CSS/JavaScript. There is no need for installation, but they don't have access to the phone's native features (APIs - Bluetooth, vibration, battery, gestures, etc).
2. Hybrid apps: Cordova, Ionic, and Phonegap fall into this category. These solutions also use HTML/CSS/JavaScript. They use a native wrapper to envelope your code, thereby providing access to native APIs, but they are not as fast or optimised as true native apps.
3. Native apps: with these you create apps with the native toolset (SDKs) and languages meant for such platforms. These apps have access to the entire mobile API (Android or iOS), are fast, and are highly optimised for their platforms. For Android native we have Java/Kotlin (Programming language) with Android Studio (IDE), while iOS uses Swift (Programming language) with XCode (IDE).
4. Cross platform native apps: here we have React Native (uses a form of Javascript - JSX, from Facebook), Flutter (uses Dart, from Google), Nativescript (uses Angular, Vue.js, TypeScript, or JavaScript) , and Xamarin (uses C#, from Microsoft). These solutions produce native apps with full access to the underlying APIs. They enable you to write your app once and simply use the same codebase for other platforms, saving you time and money. You don't need to hire Java/Kotlin and Swift developers to create separate apps.

As to why Flutter is popular - it is newer than the other cross platform options, most of the frustrations and short comings encountered in other solutions have been ironed out in Flutter. Also Flutter (and Dart) is very easy to develop in. Part of the popularity of React Native and NativeScript stems from the fact that JavaScript developers have a very low barrier of entry. Is Flutter better than React Native, NativeScript, and Xamarin? That is subjective, it depends. But when it comes to PWAs and hybrid apps - I will choose Flutter over those two every single time.

I hope I have not bored you, thanks.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 9:56am On Oct 31, 2020
Karleb:

I don't know about Ionic but React Native has been around before Flutter, it definitely has more jobs than Flutter.

I disagree with your assertion that Flutter adopters are suffering from shiny object syndrome. Progress shouldn't be abandoned because there is a solution already. Consider Kotlin, it was developed to address some of the shortcomings in Java (like the infamous NullPointerException), it is a nice drop in replacement for Java - which many developers are thankful for.
Now when it comes to Flutter, what can we say about the alternatives.
1. Xamarin - cool solution, but has driven many a developer to the brink of madness, because of the way it forces you to do certain things - the .NET way.
2. React Native and NativeScript - excellent options, but some people aren't comfortable with JavaScript. Also things can get complicated in certain scenarios.

Flutter also has its own issues, also there is that latent fear that Google can stop developing it. As the popular saying goes "...different strokes for different folks...", use whatever (proper tool) you are most comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Karleb(m): 10:12am On Oct 31, 2020
naijasensei:

I disagree with your assertion that Flutter adopters are suffering from shiny object syndrome. Progress shouldn't be abandoned because there is a solution already. Consider Kotlin, it was developed to address some of the shortcomings in Java (like the infamous NullPointerException), it is a nice drop in replacement for Java - which many developers are thankful for.
Now when it comes to Flutter, what can we say about the alternatives.
1. Xamarin - cool solution, but has driven many a developer to the brink of madness, because of the way it forces you to do certain things - the .NET way.
2. React Native and NativeScript - excellent options, but some people aren't comfortable with JavaScript. Also things can get complicated in certain scenarios.

Flutter also has its own issues, also there is that latent fear that Google can stop developing it. As the popular saying goes "...different strokes for different folks...", use whatever (proper tool) you are most comfortable with.

I appreciate your contributions as it opened my eyes to a lot about mobile application development.

Even though Kotlin is better than Java at mobile application development, it's birth is as result of the dispute between Oracle and Google about some sort of license issue, I guess.

You should see that I'm more focused on the jobs, especially as a Nigerian. Flutter became a thing in 2017, React native is older. It has more jobs.

Unless you are required to learn Flutter in a company, I believe a developer best bet at mobile application development should be React Native.

As per Javascript, it's a language we all hate to love. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 10:16am On Oct 31, 2020
Karleb:

I appreciate your contributions as it opened my eyes to a lot about mobile application development.

Even though Kotlin is better than Java at mobile application development, it's birth is as result of the dispute between Oracle and Google about some sort of license issue, I guess.

You should see that I'm more focused on the jobs, especially as a Nigerian. Flutter became a thing in 2017, React native is older. It has more jobs.

Unless you are required to learn Flutter in a company, I believe a developer best bet at mobile application development should be React Native.

As per Javascript, it's a language we all hate to love. grin

You are right, I forgot about that nonsense Oracle did recently.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by GeneralDae: 10:24am On Oct 31, 2020
I love flutter because I can combine both the front end and backend logic in one file using only Dart. No need to link my code to XML or Html and Css for websites.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by parkervero(m): 5:22pm On Oct 31, 2020
naijasensei:

The joke is on Google now. Oracle is winning already.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by talk2hb1(m): 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2020
naijasensei:

To know why people use Flutter, let's get the big picture. There are presently four ways to create mobile apps - Android and iOS apps.
1. Progressive Web App: this is simply a responsive web app developed with HTML/CSS/JavaScript. There is no need for installation, but they don't have access to the phone's native features (APIs - Bluetooth, vibration, battery, gestures, etc).
You can access that with JavaScript nowadays grin
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 7:18pm On Nov 01, 2020
talk2hb1:

You can access that with JavaScript nowadays grin

PWAs have access to some, not all.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by talk2hb1(m): 9:12pm On Nov 01, 2020
naijasensei:

PWAs have access to some, not all.
At least those two
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Doortun(m): 1:32am On Nov 03, 2020
PWA is not an app it's a glorified shortcut for WordPress.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by adsan: 9:17pm On Nov 06, 2020
GeneralDae:
I love flutter because I can combine both the front end and backend logic in one file using only Dart. No need to link my code to XML or Html and Css for websites.
I hope you mean You only need one language to write U.i and logic code and not actually write U.i and Logic code in one file cool. Hahahahah
Flutter and Google Cloud is a match made in heaven for Web and mobile dev.
Not a lot of jobs in Nigeria at the moment for Flutter, but seeing how Flutter is growing in the developed countries,( there are a lot of flutter mid level Dev jobs over there), I will expect developing countries outsourcing engineers to change their tech stack soon. It happened with React and Kotlin, I strongly bet it will happen with Flutter.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by GeneralDae: 11:33pm On Nov 06, 2020
adsan:

I hope you mean You only need one language to write U.i and logic code and not actually write U.i and Logic code in one file cool. Hahahahah
Flutter and Google Cloud is a match made in heaven for Web and mobile dev.
Not a lot of jobs in Nigeria at the moment for Flutter, but seeing how Flutter is growing in the
on developed countries,( there are a lot of flutter mid level Dev jobs over there), I will expect developing countries outsourcing engineers to change their tech stack soon. It happened with React and Kotlin, I strongly bet it will happen with Flutter.
What I mean is, the U.I and backend code can be written side by side all in same language. Yeah not necessarily in one file.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by LilSfc(m): 11:34am On Nov 07, 2020
naijasensei:

Boss.
Is it possible for me to create a mobile app with HTML/CSS &/JAVASCRIPT? That will work offline without the use of internet.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 11:48am On Nov 07, 2020
LilSfc:

Boss.
Is it possible for me to create a mobile app with HTML/CSS &/JAVASCRIPT? That will work offline without the use of internet.

Yes you can.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by LilSfc(m): 4:21pm On Nov 07, 2020
naijasensei:

Yes you can.

Please how can I go about it?
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by NobleEugene5(m): 11:25am On Nov 09, 2020
LilSfc:

Please how can I go about it?
Ionic Framework or Apache Cordova.
I recommend ionic framework. Note that you will need to learn some angular and some typescript to build good apps in ionic. Go to ionicframework.com to start
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 09, 2020
Karleb:

There's a difference, Ionic is Apache Cordova and WebView and it is slow, do not go for ionic , React Native is the next best thing, but it is problematic you have to deal with a lot issues when you have to deal with specific platform issues,

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 09, 2020
NobleEugene5:

I recommend ionic framework. Note that you will need to learn some angular and some typescript to build good apps in ionic. Go to ionicframework.com to start

Ionic ke in 2020

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by NobleEugene5(m): 11:39am On Nov 09, 2020
pcguru1:

This is a terrible advice
Flutter writes directly to your screen, so it can render any UI without much dependence on the platform. Learning ionic and Apache Cordova is terrible mistake there are much React Native Apps and Flutter is coming, also as an engineer you shoud go for the platform that is performant.
I see your point, but he asked how he can develop mobile apps in Html,css and JS and I recommended ionic. Flutter doesn't use web technologies. Also ionic isn't as slow as people say. Ionic can even be used to power desktop apps thought electron which dare I say powers VScode,Discord and MSteams. Many companies also leverage the power of ionic. Plus ionic developers are rare in Nigeria so learning it is a unique skill to build and quickly deploy mobile apps. Ionic may not renders to native UI but it uses SASS to simulate some UI components like action sheets and alerts. A very good web developer will find it easy to start using ionic .
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 09, 2020
NobleEugene5:

I see your point, but he asked how he can develop mobile apps in Html,css and JS and I recommended ionic. Flutter doesn't use web technologies. Also ionic isn't as slow as people say. Ionic can even be used to power desktop apps thought electron which dare I say powers VScode,Discord and MSteams. Many companies also leverage the power of ionic. Plus ionic developers are rare in Nigeria so learning it is a unique skill to build and quickly deploy mobile apps. Ionic may not renders to native UI but it uses SASS to simulate some UI components like action sheets and alerts. A very good web developer will find it easy to start using ionic .

Yeah true, Ionic has it uses though, I built bank apps with Ionic and Onsen I almost cried eh. Cordova gets crazy when you need to build plugins and because DOM is slow it was never fast unless you packed your own Chrome engine which adds 40mb to it. But I get sha Flutter is the best thing if you want ,speed and also speed in development, at the end of the day no one can escape Native. There will be a feature that will require plugins and you have to know what's happening incase bug show. But the new Ionic uses React that's at least better. I won't advise Cordova unless na business app.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by NobleEugene5(m): 11:57am On Nov 09, 2020
pcguru1:

There's a difference, Ionic is Apache Cordova and WebView and it is slow, do not go for ionic , React Native is the next best thing, but it is problematic you have to deal with a lot issues when you have to deal with specific platform issues,
Ionic has the option to run on capacitor now instead of Cordova which is faster
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 09, 2020
NobleEugene5:

Ionic has the option to run on capacitor now instead of Cordova which is faster

Yes I guess, but that is a very heavy lock in to Ionic, not advisable but to each their own. Flutter makes much more sense in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by Rareoil(m): 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2020
naijasensei:

No vex what did oracle do?
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by naijasensei: 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2020
Rareoil:

No vex what did oracle do?

Oracle changed Java's licensing to enterprise licensing. This means firms that rely heavily on Java (e.g. Android) will have to shell out huge amounts of money to Oracle in order to continue developing in Java. Google are having none of it, and have taken Oracle to court.
Re: Why Do You Love Flutter by LilSfc(m): 8:03am On Nov 10, 2020
NobleEugene5:

Thanks alot bro

(1) (Reply)

Google Console Account Needed / Write Code To Implement Polygon In Java / Assembly Tutorial 2: Reverse Engineering.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.