Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? (59195 Views)

Oshiomhole Leads Rally With Shouts Of "Jagaban" (Video) / Moment Tinubu Touched Down In Warri Amidst Shouts Of "Jagaban" (video) / 'Disciples Of Jagaban' Storm Abuja For Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by NgwalandAbia(m): 9:29am On Nov 02, 2020
Fash20:

That's not possible now. He can say who and who doesn't become the next governor of Lagos.

Story. He is now Apc and pdp joined together..tell me another tori.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by IjebuWarrior: 9:30am On Nov 02, 2020
THIEF, MURDERER, BASTARD, FOOL, NINCOMPOOP, OLOFO, ASIWIN, OLORIBURUKU, ASIWERE etc...
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Nobody: 9:30am On Nov 02, 2020
It means Bastard* !!!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by bigjackass: 9:30am On Nov 02, 2020
I'm not a tinubu supporter but this agenda is dead on arrival.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 9:31am On Nov 02, 2020
oyinkinola:

Bariba land?

Yes
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Omezif(m): 9:31am On Nov 02, 2020
The name really sound well and high.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by IjebuWarrior: 9:31am On Nov 02, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

You shouldn't use lion and Igbos on same sentence

He should have used PIGS instead... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:32am On Nov 02, 2020
oyinkinola:

Bariba land?

Correct!

Formerly in Kwara State, now in Niger State, courtesy IBB.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by EdoDefence: 9:33am On Nov 02, 2020
Kyase:

Haba na

Just imagine someone calling you a dog?
Is that fair?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Eastlink(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Sir Borgu was actually conquered sir

It was when Oyo was conquered than Baribas were conquered.

And Yes Ilorin was never recognized as an Emirate until the arrival of British on Nigerian soil.

Borgu is even far larger than Bruten and Kaima in kwara state, they occupy a decent portion of Western Niger state and Northern Benin republic.
The history of that area is muddled if we even go deep. Let me break it down. The Fulani did not really come down to conquer those areas as people may think. Only a few Fulani fighters joined the push. But majority of the Jihadist were indigenes. In Bida for instance, the leader of the Jihad was a Nupe. He was even the first Emir of Bida Emirate until a Fulani leader spring up to take power.

Consequently, in Ilorin Afonja lead the Jihad there. Rebelling against Oyo was to make Ilorin an Islamic town. A lot of people don't know that Afonja was a Muslim. He joined forces with Alimi to achieve this task. However, the palace coup that happened in Bida, was what happened in Ilorin. Alimi plotted against Afonja and had him assassinated. It was in the demise of Afonja that Alimi made his son Abubakar the first Emir of Ilorin. It was he Abubakar that structured Ilorin into the Balogun houses. But inspite of Ilorin being ruled by Alimi it wasn’t recognized by Dan Fodio until the coming of Sultan Bello when Abubakr went to collect the Jihad flag. And it was this period that Islamic scholars added Ilorin to the Banza Bakwai Hausa history.

For the other Emirate such as Borgu, it was the British who joined the Bassa emirate in present Niger with that of Kiama emirate in present Kwara into what we know as Borgu emirate in 1954. However, it was the Bassa emirate that fought Lugard tooth and nail before they were defeated. That was why Lugard made Bassa the head of Borgu Emirate. For the Baruba people, there are scattered in Kaima and Bassa. But they dominate Baruten LGA in Kwara north.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Juanmike(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2020
Jagaban means chief slaver : that is, the slaver of South west.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by PTNL: 9:34am On Nov 02, 2020
Someone asked me same question yesterday and this is my interpretation for such name in yoruba language:

Awon agbara ti won nje gaba ni ori igbega ile Nigeria....meaning....powers that are ruling over and limiting the progress of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Kestolove(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2020
helinues:
It's a chieftaincy title.

Jagaban of Borgu land

gbagan, Borgu is a town located in niger state north central nigeria...go check it
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Fash20: 9:36am On Nov 02, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

Story. He is now Apc and pdp joined together..tell me another tori.

When has pdp ruled Lagos? Ambode was the former governor but lost in the last APC primaries to sanwolu because he( ambode) had misunderstanding with Tinubu.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Jeezuzpick(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2020
yarimo:
BORGU is in north central, a local government in niger state. kainji dam is located in BORGU. the late emir haliru dantoro who was senator when bola Ahmed Tinubu was senator also . the late emir was BUHARI best friend.

Late Emir of Borgu, Alh. Haliru Dantoro, I believe.....used to be in the news in the eighties.
Looked a bit like Buhari.....they were very close friends.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by afroxyz: 9:38am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

You Afonjas and fabrication of history, Borgu was never under Oyo Kingdom and Oyo was never an Empire undecided

Indomie generation. This is why history needs to be brought back to school

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by NgwalandAbia(m): 9:38am On Nov 02, 2020
Fash20:

When has pdp ruled Lagos? Ambode was the former governor but lost in the last APC primaries to sanwolu because he( ambode) had misunderstanding with Tinubu.

Ambode is just a puppet he even have the power as a governor to cage the frog eye man.. I love Edo state governor that put the fool in order and nothing happens.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Silentgroper(m): 9:39am On Nov 02, 2020
Omoh!
wahala 4 wu no dey nl nd wu no view dz thread.
me dey tear meat 4 mouth dy reason xay jagaban na jxt street slang.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by DontBullshitMe: 9:39am On Nov 02, 2020
Google to the rescue. . . grin

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Gracchus: 9:40am On Nov 02, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

In his miserable life,no one know that fool in igboland.
Yet your people are all over the place shouting his name as if he ever lived in your land or ruled your land before, you people must be really insecure to keep ranting about a man who has never ruled your and has never asked for your useless 5%votes before.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by aje11: 9:40am On Nov 02, 2020
[quote author=EdoDefence post=95586147]

You Afonjas and fabrication of history, Borgu was never under Oyo Kingdom and Oyo was never an Empire undecided[/quote

off course Oyo was a great empire that spread beyond Ilorin into nupe and beyond borgu, go check out your history

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by afroxyz: 9:41am On Nov 02, 2020
Eastlink:
The history of that area is muddled if we even go deep. Let me break it down. The Fulani did not really come down to conquer those areas as people may think. Only a few Fulani fighters joined the push. But majority of the Jihadist were indigene. In Bida for instance, the leader of the Jihad was a Nupe. He was even the first Emir of Bida Emirate until a Fulani leader spring up to take power.

Consequently, in Ilorin Afonja lead the Jihad there. Rebelling against Oyo was to make Ilorin an Islamic town. A lot of people don't know that Afonja was a Muslim. He joined forces with Alimi to achieve this task. However, the palace coup that happened in Bida, was what happened in Ilorin. Alimi plotted against Afonja and had him assassinated. It was in the demise of Afonja that Alimi made his son Abubakar the first Emir of Ilorin. It was he Abubakar that structured Ilorin into the Balogun houses. But inspite of Ilorin being ruled by Alimi it wasn’t recognized by Dan Fodio until the coming of Sultan Bello when Abubakr went to collect the Jihad flag. And it was this period that Islamic scholars added Ilorin to the Banza Bakwai Hausa history.

For the other Emirate such as Borgu, it was the British who joined the Bassa emirate in present Niger with that of Kiama emirate in present Kwara into what we know as Borgu emirate in 1954. However, it was the Bassa emirate that fought Ligard tooth and nail before they were defeated. That was why Lugard made Bassa the head of Borgu Emirate.

Na wa o. So e don tey when Yorubas dey pander to whims and capricies of the Fulanis
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 02, 2020
whatever
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by marwanafrica: 9:42am On Nov 02, 2020
yarimo:
BORGU is in north central, a local government in niger state. kainji dam is located in BORGU. the late emir haliru dantoro who was senator when bola Ahmed Tinubu was senator also . the late emir was BUHARI best friend.
No mind them let them keep deceiving themselves,
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by naptu2: 9:43am On Nov 02, 2020
Jagaba means leader.

Jagaban Borgu = leader of Borgu.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by zoedew: 9:43am On Nov 02, 2020
Jam A Ban!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Kyase(m): 9:43am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

Just imagine someone calling you a dog?
Is that fair?
Call him back, don't involve his parents.
Me na fire for fire I dey give them back to back.
If I no get time I ignore
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by EdoDefence: 9:44am On Nov 02, 2020
Kyase:

Call him back, don't involve his parents.
Me na fire for fire I dey give them back to back.
If I no get time I ignore

True, I appreciate smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by bluecircle470: 9:45am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Borgu kingdom use to be under the Oyo empire and the Jagaban of Borgu was the right hand of Aare ana Kankafo(army chief of Yoruba land) in fighting wars against Oyo enemies.

Jagaban is the simply the army chief of Borgu Kingdom.

Lie kill you there!
Borgu kingdom is in Niger state and that’s where Tinubu got his chieftancy title from.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Kyase(m): 9:45am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

True, I appreciate smiley
One love

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by MondayOsunbor(m): 9:46am On Nov 02, 2020
chai Nigerian youth

we do not know our history that why we repeat our past mistake every 30 years

spits
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by GrammarNazi1(m): 9:48am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

You Afonjas and fabrication of history, Borgu was never under Oyo Kingdom and Oyo was never an Empire undecided
Oyo was an empire.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

One Killed As IPOB Members Protest In Onitsha - Vanguard News / Abisola Kola-Daisy Shares Sexy Swimwear Photos / Tinubu And Wike's Motorcade In Port Harcourt Today (Video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.