Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,574 members, 7,955,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:29 PM

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It (35515 Views)

Ikwerres Deny Ancestral Affiliation With South-East / What Is The Logic Behind ''ingli-igbo'' Names? / Why Ikwerres In River State Widely Accepted The Link To An Igbo Origin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

The narrator is quoting precolonial texts, not your usual made up stories.
Your entire yoruba "history" is a farce.
here is the reality.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU
abeokuta was founded in 1830 by fugitive slaves.
It seems to me that yoruba is one big slavedom
time stamp: 27:45

Etinosa1234
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee
gregyboy

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 7:20pm On Nov 29, 2020
samuk:
You already have enough students whose IQs are obviously below yours.
NO! But you will certainly need it since you’ve repeatedly demonstrated to having no clue what “argumentum ex silentio” means. Haha! cheesy

Or were you just being your fraudulent self as is to be expected?? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12300045_1180859311783653img20190722154954jpegb78bac5c83a42178910da3de9aa62adbjpegjpeg9cfba2c96c509f82646e09ea44461ee6_jpeg_jpegd2120de126612f0fe3ddadd01b9c1d3b

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 7:29pm On Nov 29, 2020
A Quick Refutation of the Above Propaganda Video

A skim through the video shows blatant falsehoods, re-readings, spinnings, as well as mixtures of falsehood with taints of truth all for discord/deception purposes.

A prime example of such deception, which I would be refuting below, is the narrator’s claim that “Yoruba” or “Yarriba” (or any of the variant renderings of the same name, e.g. “Youriba”, “Yaruba”, etc.) was non-existent prior to the year 1808.

This is a patent and blatant falsehood which is being exposed below:

This word is well-known by historians to have been mentioned in at least one of the essays of the Timbuktu scholar, Ahmad Baba in the early 1600s.

The screenshot embedded right below shows page 39 of the English translation of Ahmad Baba’s essay on slavery which he entitled “Mi‘rāj al-Ṣu‘ūd,” in the year 1615.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This foregoing translation was prepared by J. Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for the Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco.

The University of Alberta link below goes to the full translation of this particular essay with page 39 being the actual page in question here.

http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdouga/Hist347/autumn%202012/additional%20readings/ahmad_baba.pdf

Moreover, the screenshot embedded right below shows the actual folio of Ahmad Baba’s Arabic manuscript with the Arabic equivalence of the word “Yoruba” highlighted in red.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

The World Digital Library link below goes to the full original manuscripts of this particular essay with the folio number 15 being the particular folio in question here.

https://www.wdl.org/en/item/9661/view/1/1/

————
Considering this plain and blatant example of fraud and falsehood in this video, the motive behind the video becomes unveiled and apparent — that is to deceive and sow discord.

The targets of such deception & discord also becomes very obvious — that is, the unsuspecting public.

In sum then, the untrustworthy nature of the overall content becomes quite affirmed.

Cheers! grin cheesy

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2020
TAO11:

Considering your history which was brilliantly presented by our Igbo narrator in the videos presented to support what we the Benin have been saying.

I can see why you relish the debate with the Benin. Why will you not feel important when those whose history are centuries ahead of yours debates you.

Trying to punch beyond your historical weight must be intoxicating.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 7:52pm On Nov 29, 2020
So having debunked the above video by culling out an example of a grand falsehood, while exposing the laughably childish motive; I really do want the following post to go viral.

My Benin subjects, can you please help me make it go viral as a top search result on the internet.

Posted below:

Thanks!

4 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 7:52pm On Nov 29, 2020
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demonstrandum! cool

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 8:11pm On Nov 29, 2020
I would have really love if Tao11 could prove the ife-benin connections right

That would be are greatest achievement, if she can do that i believe she wont be the only one sticking her head out in a benin yoruba debate all are brothers will accompany her

I was on my own when a Yoruba nigga tagged me, that Tao11 is crushing down benins on culture thread, with some funny exciting talks, for a moment it seems she was winning and when the benins were attacking back comes the banned

TAO11 go back to your usual oblivion and dig up information to prove the benin-ife connection right because the more you fail the more i gain grounds on my assertion

All benins should retreat now, am feeling pity for the yorubas, they never thought it would end like this

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 29, 2020
An other news: the "palace" of the ooni of ife was built in 1932 by that same adesoji aderemi ! Gbam ...So much for people migrating from a non existant palace...

remember, the british didn't burn ife down, yet ife building its palace in 1932 ! What was there before ?

Answer: some dirty shrine.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:

That would be are greatest achievement, if she can do that i believe she wont be the only one sticking her head out in a benin yoruba debate all are brothers will accompany her

I was on my own when a Yoruba nigga tagged me, that Tao11 is crushing down benins on culture thread, with some funny exciting talks, for a moment it seems she was winning and when the benins were attacking back comes the banned

TAO11 go back to your usual oblivion and dig up information to prove the benin-ife connection right because the more you fail the more i gain grounds on my assertion

All benins should retreat now, am feeling pity for the yorubas, they never thought it would end like this

1) The first time I debated a yoruba, I had this great feeling of pity, I knew the guy descended from slaves and I didn't want to vex him, I was benevolant and tried to make the person smile and feel good about his ancestry.

2) Then I saw how the yoruba turned into parasit trying to actually claim Benin history as foreign to Benin and belonging to yoruba.

3) Yet my aim was simple: the truth and only the truth either it proves the yoruba right or it proves the Edo right or it proves us both wrong. And i will give the raw truth.

4) That is why you won't find me telling self serving lies (some yoruba probably thinks it makes me stupid, because they won't understand why a person would value the truth so much that he would favour the truth over his ego or politics)

5) One thing I found out about favouring the truth is that it grows your intelligence, science is based on finding the truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 29, 2020
Sayonara.

So what did we learn today:

1) who was the first ooni of ife to copy the word Oba into his title: adesoji aderemi.
He also created a beaded crown as a way to copy the benin crown. (the fake crown in the picture below)

2) there is no such thing as Edo, igbo or yoruba etymology. Anybody using such as argument is either intellectually bankrupt either morally bankrupt, anyways his argument is trash.

3) the yoruba have a habbit of copying other people's cultures:

a) they first copied the word "sir" which is a mark of british nobility: ooni of ife, sir adesoji.
b) after some time they changed that borrowed word for an other borrowed word "Oba" the title of the King of benin: it then became "ooni of ife, oba adesoji"
c) adesoji also imitated the benin crown
d) the current crown worn by the ooni of ife is an imitation of a statue which was found in ife
e) the current dress of the ooni of ife is an imitation of the royal uniform of the king of the ashanti.

4) Benin has a true history, ife has fairytales.
5) benin has architecture, ife has fairytales of rambo/oduduwa dropping from the sky in egypt strait into ife with a golden parachute/chain.
6) Benin actually fought a war against britain, ife once again has fairytales of great warriors
7) Benin city got burnt into ashes, ife didn't yet no architecture, nothing to show in ife.
8 ) at this point it feels like a big insult to even dare pronounce benin and ife in the same sentence in anybody's dream.
indeed, ife remains a village, a make-belief rubbish elevated by the invaders becuase the ooni of ife was a backstabbing traitor to the cause the black race. The ooni of ife served the british instead of fighting the british, coward if you ask me.

True history of the yoruba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU&t=1662s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hU-ibkPfg
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 9:42pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:
So what did we learn today:
Well, we’ve learnt that suicide is loading in Benin Kingdom today.

who was the first ooni of ife to copy the word Oba into his title: adesoji aderemi.
Well, on this same thread we’ve already seen written evidence of “Oba” usage among the Yorubas — some going back to the year 1845.

The closest the Benin usage came so far is 1863.

Moreover, linguistics evidence have already been adduced on this same thread to establish that the Binis borrowed “Oba” from the Yorubas.

He also created a beaded crown as a way to copy the Benin crown. (the fake crown in the picture below)

Well I understand your desperation, but guess what: No Benin crown comes close in any way shape or form to any Ife crown.

The closest which one of the Benin crowns came (the tall one) was that it looked like the signature tall crown of other Yoruba kingdoms (excluding Ife) called Ade-Nla.

Moreover, if your claim was that the Ife kingdom had more than one type of crown, that’s factual. cheesy

In fact, the crowns are almost innumerable, just as the Binis have more than one as well — two examples (of the Binis’) of which may be seen at this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/20#96543761

there is no such thing as Edo, igbo or yoruba etymology. Anybody using such as argument is either intellectually bankrupt either morally bankrupt, anyways his argument is trash
This is a false statement which you’ve made here without a shred of evidence.

You have simply peddled this falsehood in the hope that people will swallow it without asking for evidence. smiley

the yoruba have a habbit of copying other people's cultures:
Interesting! Let’s hear it.

a) they first copied the word "sir" which is a mark of british nobility: ooni of ife, sir adesoji.
Haha!

Insecure Bini Liar: Look, the Ooni of Ife uses “Sir” instead of “Oba”

Sane Person: In what capacity did he use the designation “Sir”? Is it with respect to his traditional stool?

Insecure Bini Liar: [scratches his bald head and goes] Well, that was in his capacity as a politician and governor of Western Nigeria

Sane Person: Why then did you post this when you already know it is nonsense?
——-—

Moreover, I would have thought you should know that Nigeria was a British colony.

And that certain British titles were conferred on certain distinguished public office holders.

One of such distinguished individuals was the then Ooni of Ife. At the time, he was the Governor of the Nigerian Western Nigeria.

Other Nigerians who have been conferred similar the honor are:
Sir Ahmadi Bello; Sir Herbert Macaulay; Alhaji Sir Abubakr’s Tafawa Balewa to name a few.

b) after some time they changed that borrowed word for an other borrowed word "Oba" the title of the King of Benin: it then became "ooni of ife, oba adesoji"
Well, as the written evidence have shown so far on this thread; your base level of reasoning should have permitted you to conclude that:

The Yorubas have been using the word “Oba” decades before the Binis would first use it — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1863 (Benin).

c) adesoji also imitated the Benin crown
This has already been demonstrated in this same comment to be a deluded falsehood.

d) the current crown worn by the ooni of ife is an imitation of a statue which was found in ife
Interesting! An ancient Ife crown is modeled after a more ancient Ife sculpture. So? cheesy Hehehe!

e) the current dress of the ooni of ife is an imitation of the royal uniform of the king of the Ashanti
Oh, I have an idea!

What about ‘the current dress of the Ashanti king is an imitation of the Ife king’s’?

In fact, this is more tenable since a Ghanaian subgroup claimed to have originated from Ife considering the testimony of the then Supreme King of the Ga people — The Ga Matse, King Nii Adama Latse

4) Benin has a true history, ife has fairytales.
5) benin has architecture, ...

6) Benin actually fought a war against britain, ife once again has fairytales of great warriors

7) Benin city got burnt into ashes, ife didn't yet no architecture, nothing to show in ife.
8 ) at this point it feels like a big insult to even dare pronounce benin and ife in the same sentence in anybody's dream.
indeed, ife remains a village, a make-belief rubbish elevated by the invaders becuase the ooni of ife was a backstabbing traitor to the cause the black race. The ooni of ife served the british instead of fighting the british, coward if you ask me.Sayonara

In “Ibn Battûta’s 1352 Voyages to Asia and Africa, ... we learn that southwest of the Mâlli (Mali) kingdom lies a country called Yoûfi (Ife) that is one of the “most considerable countries of the Soudan [governed by a]…souverain [who] is one of the greatest kings”.*

“Battuta’s description of Yoûfi* (Ife) as a country that “No white man can enter…because the negros will kill him before he arrives”* is consistent with the ritual primacy long associated with Ife, due perhaps to its mercantile strength (glass beads, iron and probably textiles).

Among the latter items seem to have been not only cotton and raphia cloth but also silk textiles fashioned from local worms. The latter suggests that in the twelfth through fifteenth centuries, Ife was part of the famous East-West silk road. This is one of many indicators that Ife was part of the larger global trading network. The need to control related goods (and technologies) is in part what gave Ife and its rulers their unique associations with secrecy and danger
.”

~ Reference: Ibn Battuta’s 1352 Voyage as cited in Suzanne Preston Blier’s “Art and Risk in Ancient Yoruba: Ife History, Power and Identity, c.1300”, Cambridge University Press, 2015, p. 28.

At this time when Ibn Battuta visited West Africa in the 1300s and documented about Ife, there was no kingdom called Benin worth noting.

You know why? Ife was blowing. The elephant and its child doesn’t blow at the same time.

Erin kii fon, ki omo re naa fon. grin

ife has fairytales of rambo/oduduwa dropping from the sky in egypt strait into ife with a golden parachute/chain.
Till date I’m still yet to get an answer on where the the ancestors of Bini people and their Kings’ progenitors descended from. Is it?:

(A) Ife according to the “official” Benin account.

(B) Heaven via chains according to the Benin mythological account.

(C) Egypt according to Egharevba’s 1952 edition.

(D) The last born child of God Almighty (and his wife) according to Omonoba Erediauwa

(E) All of the above.

Please help, I really need to find out the correct answer.
It appears you’re disgruntled because there are no more gullible customers for your Benin lies on Nairaland, therefore ... E PAIN AM Die

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 9:44pm On Nov 29, 2020
BTW, the above videos have been debunked at the following link:

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/25#96567759

+ The present Benin palace was built much recently — hence it used to be a ragtag shrine. grin

Should one really expect much from a heartbroken Bini bald head ?? grin

Nope! Peddling lies is what Binis do best, and that is apparent from all of their posts — which unfortunately have all been debunked on this thread.

I’m super glad that everyone can now see through their falsehood and desperation.

In summary: The word “Oba” has its root in the Yoruba language as has been demonstrated from a Bini dictionary.

No other Edoid people use the term for their monarchs, despite the Binis expedition in their territory.

The reason is simple: Of all Edoid groups, only the Binis have dynastic succession from the Yorubas.

QED!
————-
For clarity: Ogba people are not Edoid.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 10:00pm On Nov 29, 2020
TAO11:
The videos have been debunked here, btw!

+ The present Benin palace was built much recently — hence it used to be a ragtag shrine. grin

So much for Benin logic.

Benin would say

Okhanrhiavbhe meaning till next life

In this life yorubas were under small benins

And the almighty benin fell to almighty british at her prime

Rewriting history is not possible again, you can only hope to make a newer history

As for this life edo would be always colonize yoruba

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 10:31pm On Nov 29, 2020
TAO11:
BTW, the above videos have been debunked at the following link:

Should one really expect much from a heartbroken Bini bald head ?? grin

Nope! Peddling lies is what Binis do best, and that is apparent from all of their posts — which unfortunately have all been debunked on this thread.

I’m super glad that everyone can now see through their falsehood and desperation.

In summary: The word “Oba” has its root in the Yoruba language as has been demonstrated from a Bini dictionary.

[s]No other Edoid people use the term, despite the Binis expedition in their territory[/s]

The reason is simple: Of all Edoid groups, only the Binis have dynastic succession from the Yorubas.

[b]QED
!

Are you aware esan bear names like obazee

Are you also aware edo tribe are offshoot of benin, so why are you sounding retarded and exhausted

According to the false myth, after the ogiso dynasty came oba dynasty from ife, it was during the oba dynasty that esan migrated at of benin and other edo tribes were sprung, so this means if we are to go with the fakse myth all edo tribe should be aware of the title oba

The screenshot is an urhobo name having oba

https://maternitynest.com/nigerian-baby-names-urhobo-names-boys/

Nextlife if you here gregyboy you go move

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 29, 2020
1) Benin city was burnt to ashes by the british, that included the palace of the Oba of Benin which was looted and set ablaze and totally destroyed by the british military upon their victory against the Benin army.

That is why a new palace was built by Oba Eweka II

I have shared pictures of Benin architecture pre-british destruction, I am yet to see any precolonial "ife architecture"

2) ife was not destroyed nor burnt nor looted because the ife people and their ooni didn't put up any fight against the british, rather ife people served the british as soon as they met the british. Yet the current palace of the ooni of ife was built in 1932. A palace which was not destroyed, not burnt down, not looted, yet it was deemed by its main occupant as too backward ...leading to him building what they have in ife today.

3) Now how does a normal human being compare both cases and concludes it is the same ?
I don't know, yoruba trolls don't follow logics.
The fact is the ooni of ife's palace was a shit hole shrine before he built a new palace in 1932.

ife was most likely established by runaway slaves.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 29, 2020
1) how many ife people have the title ooni ?
Answer 1
2) how many oyo people have the title alafin ?
Answer 1
3) how many ijebu people have the title awujale ?
Answer 1
4) how many british people have the title queen ?
Answer 1

How many Edo people have the title Oba ?
Answer 1.

In a kingdom, there can be only one king.
There will be many dukes, many chiefs, many repetetive titles, but the title of King is for only one person.

Aderemi adesoji copied the Oba title in the 1930's as a replacement for the word "sir".

all this is common sense, but when you have been telling lies for so many years, you start to no longer have common sense, that is what the yoruba trolls are going through.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by shanga(m): 10:47pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker:
1) Benin city was burnt to ashes by the british, that included the palace of the Oba of Benin which was looted and set ablaze and totally destroyed by the british military upon their victory against the Benin army.

That is why a new palace was built by Oba Eweka II

2) ife was not destroyed nor burnt nor looted because the ife people and their ooni didn't put up any fight against the british, rather ife people served the british as soon as they met the british. Yet the current palace of the ooni of ife was built in 1932. A palace which was not destroyed, not burnt down, not looted, yet it was deemed by its main occupant as too backward ...leading to him building what they have in ife today.

3) Now how does a normal human being compare both cases and concludes it is the same ?
I don't know, yoruba trolls don't follow logics.
The fact is the ooni of ife's palace was a shit hole shrine before he built a new palace in 1932.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by AreaFada2: 11:15pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:

Are you also aware edo tribe are offshoot of benin, so why are you sounding retarded and exhausted

According to the false myth, after the ogiso dynasty came oba dynasty from ife, it was during the oba dynasty that esan migrated at of benin and other edo tribes were sprung, so this means if we are to go with the fakse myth all edo tribe should be aware of the title oba

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee

Dude, you should have been a vet or a shrink. You have so much patience. Even I won't have so much patience with the cross dresser. grin cheesy
Is there anyone who does not know that most Edoid people left during Oba Ewuare I reign and later during reigns of the other 4 major warrior Kings Ozolua, Esigie, Orhogbua and Akengbuda? With only few leaving in the pre-imperial times?
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by AreaFada2: 11:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee

Dude, you should have been a vet or a shrink. You have so much patience. Even I won't have so much patience with the cross dresser. grin cheesy

Is there anyone who does not know that most Edoid people left during Oba Ewuare I reign and later during reigns of the other 4 major warrior Kings Ozolua, Esigie, Orhogbua and Ehengbuda? With only few leaving in the pre-imperial times?

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 8:56am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee

Agbor people of Delta state bears Obaze.

Since Yoruba centered their relationship with Benin around Ife, most part of our debate should be centred around Benin/Ife relationship because most other parts of Yoruba were under Benin colonial rule.

Let's the true Ife people come out to defend the Benin/Ife relationship, not descendants of former Benin colonial subjects or descendants of slaves that were returned back to Nigeria by the white man.

You will hardly find an Ife indigine on these thread because the Ife they are defending here was created on paper and have nothing to do with reality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Etinosa1234: 9:18am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Etinosa1234
Davidnazee
Prolog
Ghostwon
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Davidnazee

Also to add..

Etsako - Obano - its the king that they ask

Its because we don't have equal disposal of info... Those books that she enjoys quoting, if we do it back for, she fit not sleep well...

She knows abt Benin greatness that's why she goes all out to find a way to rub sand on it...

Don't u see how this thread gives her more joy than in real life

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 9:25am On Nov 30, 2020
samuk:

Agbor people of Delta state bears Obaze.

Since Yoruba centered their relationship with Benin around Ife, most part of our debate should be centred around Benin/Ife relationship because most other parts of Yoruba were under Benin colonial rule.

Let's the true Ife people come out to defend the Benin/Ife relationship, not descendants of former Benin colonial subjects or descendants of slaves that were returned back to Nigeria by the white man.

You will hardly find an Ife indigine on these thread because the Ife they are defending here was created on paper and have nothing to do with reality.

For them every yoruba man na ife man lol
I don't even take them serious anymore

The real ife people knows better, that the relationship benin had with ife was false
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Alba3: 9:28am On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demonstrandum! cool
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 30, 2020
I just read a few of the things said by the yoruba troll, he doesn't even try to make sense. It is just like a person speaking in tongs. I guess that is what constantly telling lies for years would do to a person. Zero sense.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Alba3: 9:38am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

You don't have to retreat! Fowl bum is exposed already after breeze!

Revisionist theory of lies of you guys can never stand facts which TAO11 is unleashing for posterity.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 30, 2020
Alba3:

You don't have to retreat! Fowl bum is exposed already after breeze!

Revisionary theory of lies of you guys can never stand facts which TAO11 is unleashing for posterity.
Where do they train you guys to be so deluded ?
Non contempt with trying to rewrite history, you also want to rewrite the present.
Anybody with half a brain can see your trolls make zero sense.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 30, 2020
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 30, 2020
I have descended to the level of talking to deluded yoruba fools on nairaland. I need to stop this trend.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Alba3: 9:54am On Nov 30, 2020
davidmarker:
1) how many ife people have the title ooni ?
Answer 1
2) how many oyo people have the title alafin ?
Answer 1
3) how many ijebu people have the title awujale ?
Answer 1
4) how many british people have the title queen ?
Answer 1

How many Edo people have the title Oba ?
Answer 1.

In a kingdom, there can be only one king.
There will be many dukes, many chiefs, many repetetive titles, but the title of King is for only one person.

Aderemi adesoji copied the Oba title in the 1930's as a replacement for the word "sir".

all this is common sense, but when you have been telling lies for so many years, you start to no longer have common sense, that is what the yoruba trolls are going through.

Please, can you tell me a word for 'king' in Yoruba language? Since you don't seem to understand the difference between general word for king and individual king's title.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 30, 2020
Alba3:

Please, can you tell me a word for 'king' in Yoruba language? Since you don't seem to understand the difference between general word for king and individual king's title.
there is no such thing as "general word for king".
The title and the word for king are one and the same.
1)the ife word for king is "ooni"
2) the oyo word for king is "alafin"
the french word for king is "roi"
the british word for king is "king" (unless it is a woman then it is "queen" )

It is only you guys the yoruba reality challengers who create a universe with different rules than those of the rest of the world.
Once again, the ooni of ife who first copied the title Oba from Benin is adesoji aderemi. All the other copycat yoruba chiefs emulated him.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Alba3: 10:04am On Nov 30, 2020
davidmarker:

Where do they train you guys to be so deluded ?
Non contempt with trying to rewrite history, you also want to rewrite the present.
Anybody with half a brain can see your trolls make zero sense.

You only mock yourself on online platform. Provide the noun and verb forms of the word 'Oba' as related to 'ruling' in Bini language and I will analyze it in Yoruba language as used from generation to generation before the existence of Bini people who were from diverse origins. You can also bring forward your god that was named just like Obatala thousands of years ago... or your king before Obalufe, Ọbàlùfọ̀n with the prefix Oba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (37) (Reply)

Abdulrasheed Akanbi, Oluwo Of Iwoland 'Stopped Rain' From Falling / "The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos / Top 6 Abnormalities That Are Normal In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.