Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,199 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings (33049 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by hidhrhis(m): 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
smiley
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by AHCB: 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2020
WHAT about Aleku?
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Gkay1(m): 7:27pm On Nov 05, 2020
I just tired dis evening, abeg lalastical bring better news jor
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by IMAliyu(m): 7:27pm On Nov 05, 2020
I wonder what our ancestors were smoking to come up with some of these superstitions.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by OBTMOS(m): 7:28pm On Nov 05, 2020
Idoma ole adam.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:29pm On Nov 05, 2020
Nonsense
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by DennisEche(m): 7:29pm On Nov 05, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:
OP What of Aleku in Idoma Land
Alekwu is not a superstition believe, it is real as as life

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by yahmohy27: 7:29pm On Nov 05, 2020
In some parts of the country when a child laughs and exposes his gum with teeth removed to a LIZARD, it is BELIEVED that the removed teeth will not grow again or take a longer time to come up again
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by BlueAir: 7:30pm On Nov 05, 2020
sad I'm not the superstitious type but some things I can never disbelief. I've always know itching palm to link with money. The day my left palm itch me like crazy from sleep ,I knew my hustle was coming close and that same day,I made my first 3.6millio n
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:30pm On Nov 05, 2020
itching palms na medical condition o grin
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Coneheadyutes(m): 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2020
Why are Yoloba people mocking other people's cultural beliefs

They're the same people that believe that you should always eat your meat last or you will be put under a heavy curse.

You people are no better than Idoma people.

You cone heads should stop being hypocritical!

4 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by kingxsamz(m): 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2020
More like mental illness.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by DennisEche(m): 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2020
Proudly Idoma and full blooded Idoma,(F.B.I)

4 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by odun51587: 7:35pm On Nov 05, 2020
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Tyriq: 7:38pm On Nov 05, 2020
Adoka OORLEH
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Eazie351(m): 7:40pm On Nov 05, 2020
that's how one small girl mistakenly poured water on me and one man who witnessed the scene told me to go and ask the girl out ...he shaa explained plenty jargons for me

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by OyiOtukpo: 7:41pm On Nov 05, 2020
Everything narrated above is just the truth. Me sef believe many until recently. But you see that itchy hand? I cannot unbelieve that because I decided to believe that and somehow, it has always worked for me.

2 Likes

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by IJEYdiamond(f): 7:44pm On Nov 05, 2020
How true is this in idoma land

One low budget creature said if a married woman or a woman married to an idoma man cheats she will be mysteriously ill untill she confess.. but the men can cheat their way through... How true is this "their belief" in quote...
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 05, 2020
OP you forgot to mention the wife as cola for visitor, that is offeering your wife to visitor to knack till morning.
Can you explain to us why
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by TinubuGoQuench(f): 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2020
Igbegberigbe!!!

Africa is really backward
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Slurity(m): 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2020
Die, die die, haha. I stopped reading when the die die matters
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by afemgbosey(m): 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2020
Virus99:
All I know is that the opposite of what I dreamt about is what usually happens angry

At the Nigerisn Army Short Service Selection Board in Kaduna that year, I dreamt and I saw my self in full military regalia... The next morning I totally messed my Interview. And I wasn't shortlisted in the final list.

Months later, I dreamt that I failed woefully and everyone was mocking me. Couple of weeks later, I found an Angel investor for my startup.

These things perplex me so much especially since I detest religion or the notion of an omnipotent God who watch on while evil happens in the world.

The problem is that you are too wise and proud to stoop low and ask your creator for help. Can a pot say to the potter "what have you created?". Does an ant understand physics or dna? God's wisdom beats yours infinitely, yet in your critically low wisdom, you think you are wiser enough to question him. If you were God, you would have destroyed someone who behaves as you do but he loves you so you are still alive hoping that you will repent before your time is up on earth.

God loves you as well as all those who had unfortunate experiences in life. He allowed his own son jesus to suffer immensely for the salvation of mankind from Adam till the last man.

I can't explain all your questions but I know that even eternity isn't sufficient to explain why God allows evil sometimes. But evil shall perish eventually.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by afemgbosey(m): 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2020
Virus99:
All I know is that the opposite of what I dreamt about is what usually happens angry

At the Nigerisn Army Short Service Selection Board in Kaduna that year, I dreamt and I saw my self in full military regalia... The next morning I totally messed my Interview. And I wasn't shortlisted in the final list.

Months later, I dreamt that I failed woefully and everyone was mocking me. Couple of weeks later, I found an Angel investor for my startup.

These things perplex me so much especially since I detest religion or the notion of an omnipotent God who watch on while evil happens in the world.

The problem is that you are too wise and proud to stoop low and ask your creator for help. Can a pot say to the potter "what have you created?". Does an ant understand physics or dna? God's wisdom beats yours infinitely, yet in your critically low wisdom, you think you are wiser enough to question him. If you were God, you would have destroyed someone who behaves as you do but he loves you so you are still alive hoping that you will repent before your time is up on earth.

God loves you as well as all those who had unfortunate experiences in life. He allowed his own son jesus to suffer immensely for the salvation of mankind from Adam till the last man.

I can't explain all your questions but I know that even eternity isn't sufficient to explain why God allows evil sometimes. But evil shall perish eventually. Allow him to finish what he started before judging him.

I love your questions. I do ask myself sometimes and I get some answers.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by AdakoleG: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2020
Oyi, you forgot to add that of chameleon closing your way.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Issues40(m): 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2020
Lol. If a man drops saliva. He is about to eat enough meat. Mad ooo

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Saig: 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2020
Virus99:

.God is real.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Tyriq: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2020
IJEYdiamond:
How true is this in idoma land

One low budget creature said if a married woman or a woman married to an idoma man cheats she will be mysteriously ill untill she confess.. but the men can cheat their through... How true is this "their belief" in quote...
Very true! And if the husband knows about the act and eats her food without reporting to his kinsmen and the woman don't perform the necessary rites, he dies or his sons start dieing one by one
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by jaszplus12(m): 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2020
Oyine, you didn't add these:
1) When you whistle at night EKINIBI will visit you and dance at your doorstep.
2) When you sweep at night you sweep away your fortune
3) When you thread needle at night you're inviting evil to yourself
4) Splitting salt on the table even accidentally is bringing bad luck to your family.
It's all BS but we believed it as kids.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Tyriq: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2020
uncle005:
OP you forgot to mention the wife as cola for visitor, that is offeering your wife to visitor to knack till morning.
Can you explain to us why
Not in IDOMA LAND bro

1 Like

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by IJEYdiamond(f): 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2020
Tyriq:

Very true! And if the husband knows about the act and eats her food without reporting to his kinsmen and the woman don't perform the necessary rites, he dies or his sons start dieing one by one

Jesu!!!!!

OMO... so nah true... grin... na to run oooooo!!!... no go area be that ooo.
Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by jaszplus12(m): 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2020
odun51587:
Aleku is the spirit of the ancestors. It's represented by a masquerade that appears at funerals or sometimes at some special festival. It speaks in deep parables and sayings which is translated by a man close to the masquerade.
The voice is altered by putting some stuff in his mouth...so only the interpreter really hears and understand...
In the times past, foreigners and women are forbidden from seeing Alekwu, but nowadays the culture isn't so tight...
During burials as soon as the Alekwu is approaching all females are locked in...until the body is lowered to Earth.
Hope you now have a bit of knowledge... Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings by Tyriq: 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2020
IJEYdiamond:

Jesu!!!!!

OMO... so nah true... grin... na to run oooooo!!!... no go area be that ooo.
But why would you know about your wife's infidelity and stay married to her? Think about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abstract Or Stylized African Art In Pictures / What Are The Top 5 Black Cultural Foods/Cuisines To You? / Caption The Throwback Picture Of Ooni Of Ife 'adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.