Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,550 members, 7,843,714 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real (260 Views)

Spousal Abuse Against Men Rising In Lagos – UI Criminologist / How I Met My Wife: Love Is Real / Today's Experience Changed My View On Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real by edogu(m): 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2020
Written by Ugama Steve

Some Men are abused by their wives too.
Last week I made a post and said I was going to talk about domestic violence against men and so many people laughed it off and said that a man cannot be abused by the woman he married with his own money. (I honestly don't understand why some people still see women as an object that can be purchased in this age and time). Some even said that a man who is abused by his wife is not man enough.
The comments in that post suggests clearly the problem most men who are facing domestic violence in the hands of their wives face in Nigeria. How do you convince the police that it was your wife that gave you a bloody nose? How do you tell your friends or even your doctor that it was your wife that assaulted you?
So many men are suffering in their homes and they can't speak out because of societal perception. It's worse when the wife has succeeded to isolate the man from his family members who ordinarily would have rescued him.
Last two years, we handled the case of a pharmacist who suffered terribly in the hands of his wife and her two sisters. He was a staff of Alex Ekwume Federal university teaching hospital here in Ebonyi state. It wasn't just about the wife and her sisters beating him mercilessly on a regular basis, they practically subjected him to all manners of abuse in his own home including sexual abuse. Once his salary is paid, he transfers it to the wife who now gives him stipends for his transport to work. This man had only three shirts. When we got involved in trying to rescue him, the wife and her sisters threatened fire and brimstone. Even the man has been so subjugated that he saw his condition and treatment as a norm. It was so bad that his 7 years old daughter slaps him and calls him all manner of names. It was that bad. Thanks goodness he is in Canada now and has remained ever grateful for our intervention.
The truth is, there are thousands of men like this pharmacist scattered around the country. They can not speak out and even neighbors who are supposed to come to their rescue see them as cowards, women wrappers, weaklings who allow their wives to humiliate them.
Domestic violence need not be physical, it could be emotional abuse. There was a case of a man whose wife invites his sugar boy to their home and enjoy sex with him even when the husband is at home. She was the breadwinner of the home and so the man had no say.
This is me putting it out here, men suffer domestic violence in their homes too. If you are a men and you are going through this in the hands of your wife, please don't die in silence. Contact human rights lawyers or NGOs. If you know any man going through domestic abuse in your neighborhood, don't call him names, help him to get help. Don't allow the society to kill your humanity.
Together we can Save the next victim.

Re: Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real by ebenhazard(m): 12:46pm On Nov 08, 2020
Aye akamara
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real by meobizy(f): 12:49pm On Nov 08, 2020
Somebody claimed it wasn’t?
Re: Domestic Violence Against Men Is Real by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2020
This is one of the main reason why man don't wanna marry,

Just imagine,

The other actress was saying in another thread that if a man cannot buy a woman a car, he has no business marrying, I just laughed, that means many many single ladies will remain perpetually unmarried be that.

They are beating the civil servant man because, he is been compared with individual with bottomless pocket such as David, Dang and Gates. That is why it not good to marry colourful retired runs girls because their eyes will always be shooking, looking at so-called wealth of neighbors, friends and celebs on TV.

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Wall Screeding And Pop Ceiling / Who Takes The Blame For Not Being Able To Speak The Mother's Tongue? / How Do I Start Up Gas Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.