Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,543 members, 7,850,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:08 AM

Presidential Debate on NN24 - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate on NN24 (33375 Views)

Poll: Presidential Debate: Who Impressed You Most?

GEJ: 10% (57 votes)
Ribadu: 11% (62 votes)
Buhari: 35% (199 votes)
Shekarau: 42% (238 votes)
This poll has ended

NN24, Nigeria's News Channel Folds Up / Prof Wole Soyinka's Comment After Nn24 Presidential Debate <<FALSE>> / Nn24 News Presidential Debate In Abuja - Live Images (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by opalu: 11:33pm On Mar 18, 2011

"We should not be carried away by mere eloquence. We are on ground here in Kano, the eloquence has not been translated into the development of our dear state"
-Bashir Baba

"Right now Kano state legislooters are thinking of impeaching Malam Shekarau for the problems in kano. Doctors on strike, secondary school teachers on strike, CAS Kano and Kano state Polytechnic are also on strike. How could someone who could not manage the problems of a single state manage the problems of Nigeria"
-Waziri Garba Dahiru
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by opalu: 11:34pm On Mar 18, 2011

"We should not be carried away by mere eloquence. We are on ground here in Kano, the eloquence has not been translated into the development of our dear state"
-Bashir Baba

"Right now Kano state legislooters are thinking of impeaching Malam Shekarau for the problems in kano. Doctors on strike, secondary school teachers on strike, CAS Kano and Kano state Polytechnic are also on strike. How could someone who could not manage the problems of a single state manage the problems of Nigeria"
-Waziri Garba Dahiru
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 11:35pm On Mar 18, 2011
I can't believe I missed this!!!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by boycottam: 11:37pm On Mar 18, 2011
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by soldee: 11:37pm On Mar 18, 2011
I am not surprised that Ribadu gave thorough answers to the Power question, afterall he was part and parcel of Obasanjo's inner caucus so he definitely knows the gritty on Power. What Kadaira should have asked him is 'Where is the Money?' Maybe we would've heard 'Third Term'!!!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 11:39pm On Mar 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Eku Bear wrote:

With all due respect , it is because you listened with bias while other Nigerians did not . On the Jos issue you claimed Ribadu mentioned Boko Haram , without giving him credit for what he said previously , perhaps to insinuate he was not addressing issues.

Non biased Nigerians heard Ribadu, before the Boko Haram comment , state that without addressing injustice lasting peace cannot be secured . Now nairalanders should tell me if that is not what all of us have concluded regarding the Jos crisis, ND and many other issues of patent marginalisation. Shekarau was simply worst , as far as understanding the problem and offering a solution , with his take that what worked in Kano will work in Jos . even if such an utterance is delivered in the most articulate tongue which Nigerian is foolish enough to credit it with workability knowing our extremely diverse Nation?

I can agree Ribadu could have toned down the aggression and kept time better but the patent unfairness towards him was borne of bias. You claim Ribadu "lost it" (or something to that effect) because he was booed . As an intelligent guy , if you were watching without bias, you will see that the crowd were showing a lack of sophistication . if Ribadu wanted to imply that we are not corrupt by Nature before he was shouted down . He eventually went on to state this . Are our children born corrupt or does the environment corrupt them? If corruption is reduced and , social reorientation pursued , is it not possible to move away from corruption ? What is the profit of the crowd by telling the world we are corrupt? From now on I suggest we all simply concur with non-Nigerians when they come to Nairaland to brand us as a nation of 150 million corrupt people.

@Gbawe,
You are obviously not being objective here. I agree with most of the points eku_bBear raised. The fact remains that Nigerians are mostly corrupt. Ribadu was only being miserly with words. If Nigerians were not corrupt why did he (Ribadu) hunt the likes of Ibori, Tafa Balogun etec. If the system were corrupt like he was alluding, he should have been arresting the system instead of running after corrupt politicians. Ribadu seemed to be doing well up until that point during the debate and he derailed and descended into being rude and unruly.
If Ribadu, after being a hunter of corrupt politician says Nigerians are not corrupt, I'll submit that he's just about as clueless as the GEJ he wants to replace.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 18, 2011
Look at it objectively, Jonathan probably made the right decision not to attend this debate.

He leads all national polls at present. He stood to lose more by attending! The likes of Buhari and 'Rabid' Ribadu would have laced into him at every opportunity. Yeah. Great thing he stayed well away!  undecided

GEJ/Sambo 2011
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by honeric01(m): 11:41pm On Mar 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Lets break issues down a bit . The animosity towards ribadu is too much and I see people making things up here to justify wanting him to be last when Nigerians across the world ( more representative than Nairaland) voted him second most impressive behind Shekarau.

Ribadu did not lie . Rather , Nigerians did not see their own gaffe in front of the entire world.  When Ribadu said Nigerians were not corrupt he was leading up to saying that corrupt acts is a by-product of a bastardized system . He was trying to say that corruption is not in our nature as non-Nigerians, worldwide, routinely claim it is . He eventually went on to clarify this. Now , for any non-Nigerian watching , like those who  come to Nairaland to taunt us that we all all "corrupt animals" , did that crowd not just agree that "Nigerians are corrupt" ? What that audience did was to dissociate themselves from corruption with the usual mentality of "our leaders are corrupt yet we are virtuous" . Sadly , most non-Nigerians will still conclude that leaders , in character, are representative of the people they lead.

Another point that shows some listened with heavy bias was when Eku Bear claimed that when Ribadu was asked about Jos he mentioned Boko Haram. That is deliberate distortion. Ribadu , first and foremost , stated that justice for all is the best way to sort out disenfranchisement and rancour . Do right by all involved and mediate on behalf of all and we will see progress. The Boko Haram example is showing Ribadu's strong grasp of mediating for all. Boko Haram means rejection of Western education. If that is really the agitation why do the Boko Haram members not destroy schools ? The logic is simple . Many are simply dissillusioned young men used to forment trouble . Perhaps with jobs and education those young men may not be available to be used harmfully. Asked about Jos Shekarau , on the other hand,  simply gave a vague speech about replicating what he has done in kano in Jos . Pray , tell us how many in the crowd know what he has done in Kano ? Does Kano have the same exact problems, issues and challenges as Jos ? people should go back and watch . Shekarua was most eloquent in a conventional way but Ribadu delivered far more content he was not given credit for . With the Jos issue , for example , he won by highlighting how no peace can be attained until justice is done . Supply 20,000 police officers and things will still not change . I could not even understand Buhari and Shekarau pandered to the audience by insinuating he will do apply his Kano formula to Jos.

Ribadu may have lost point for an aggressive style but folks clearly failed to look at the content of his message . The Boko Haram comment of eku Bear was an example of that because Ribadu did better  , as per understanding the problem and solution offered , than others . in fact Shekarau was worst with that question because it is simplistic to hold that what worked for one State will work in another. If the Jos type issue happens in Ogun will Shekarau still offer the Kano solution or does it not make sense that justice , after mediation that looks at the peculiarity of every situation , as Ribadu suggests, is the panacea for these type of problems wherever they may be seen across Nigeria?

Anyway , Congratulation to all those who showed up.

Bro, just answer this sincerely, Are Nigerians not corrupt and indiscipline? yes or no?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 11:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
Newscaster:

Onyenso Kaycee

I noticed that most people agree that Shekarau won the debate (I also agree) but they still want to proceed to vote Buhari or Ribadu. Isn't it quite obvious now that an excellent debate is not the yardstick? If GEJ was there, all you GEJ haters would have picked out any small mistakes he makes and state them as reasons why you won't vote for him. So, probably GEJ was wise to have avoided this debate. Whether he debates or not, minds are already made up. This debate changed nothing! GEJ will still win by a landslide - Buhari and Ribadu will share the crumbs! Simple,  I'm going to bed!

Does not justify his absence, if anything it could be seen as slight disdain for the Nigerian populace. I was never really convinced about Ribadu running for presidency so I am not surprised with what seems to be the consensus on his performance. People who intend to still vote for Buhari even if Shekarau (from what I read) won the debate might simply be strategic so votes are not split amongst two northern candidates (by ethnically driven voters). It is a shame though because I heard him on hard talk and he was well spoken and seemed to be able to defend himself with sound logic. Over the coming weeks Shekarau will definitely be more closely scrutinised. Now, off to go look for video uploads of the debate. . . .
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by soldee: 11:43pm On Mar 18, 2011
@Rossike

Don't you mean all Mo'Hits polls??
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 11:45pm On Mar 18, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Look at it objectively, Jonathan probably made the right decision not to attend this debate.

He leads all national polls at present. He stood to lose more by attending! The likes of Buhari and 'Rabid' Ribadu would have laced into him at every opportunity. Yeah. Great thing he stayed well away!  undecided

GEJ/Sambo 2011

So in a nutshell he prioritised political survival over defending his candidacy and vision for the nation under arguably more in-depth scrutiny?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by sesman(m): 11:47pm On Mar 18, 2011
I just watched the debate online,

Buhari was incoherent through out the debate. he wasn't making any sense to me.

Ribadu was just barking like a mad dog. he did make some good point on power supply, for example he menioned other areas for generationg power supply, i.e solar, coal, e.t.c but he wasnt very specific enough. if he calms down a bit, he might make more sense

Shekaru was very astue with his answers and very calm.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 11:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
PDP'S UNBLERA IS LEAKING grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by mekaboy(m): 11:50pm On Mar 18, 2011
[b]

A PRESIDENT DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF NIGERIA. ALL HE NEED TO DO, IS TO BE WILLING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

YOU HAVE ALL HEARD SHAKERU SPEAK AND YOUR ALL IMPRESSED. YOU MUST VISIT KANO AND SEE HOW MUCH OF THE KNOWLEDGE IS IMPLEMENTED.

A PRESIDENT DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW THE PROBLEM IN THE POWER SECTOR, ALL HE NEEDS TO DO IS TO BE WILLING.

THERE IS THIS SAYING "WHEN THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY"

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH PDP IS THAT.

1, THEY DON,T KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM

2, THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

THE JOB OF THE PRESIDENT IS TO WORK WITH PROFESSIONALS.
1, INVITE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD WITH EXPERIENCE IN THESE ISSUE/PROBLEMS

2, ASK HOW WILL THIS PROBLEM BE SOLVED

3, WHEN THEY PRESENT A PLAN ON HOW IT WILL BE SOLVED.

4, THEY WILL BE GIVEN A TARGET  AND TIME TO COMPLETE THE TASK.

5. PRESIDENT RELEASES THE FUNDS FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PLAN.

6. MONITORING TEAM IS SET UP TO ENSURE THAT THE PLAN IS CARRIED OUT AND DELIVERED AT THE EXACT TIME.

ALL WE NEED FROM A PRESIDENT IS *INTEGRITY* WILINESS TO CHANGE*

TALK IS CHEAP$$$$$$

[/b]
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Nobody: 11:51pm On Mar 18, 2011
Hey sesman please post a link so others can go view the debate as well please  lipsrsealed
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2011
@Gbawe: Why would I be biased against Ribadu? What do I have against him? I'm just calling it as I see it. I don't think Jos and Boko Haram relate. One is an ethnic conflict, the other appears to be a NE-based fundamentalist terrorist movement with some foreign elements. The solution required in Jos to be quite honest seems more akin to what was done in Kano.

Now, granted, Shek didn't go into deep specifics. He only really mentioned the inclusiveness aspects, making sure that all sides feel a part of the government. And how to do this in Jos is an open question. But I think he added more as far as solutions go than Ribadu did.

Ribadu's answer didn't give me anything. . . "injustice" is too vague. How exactly do I solve injustice? What concrete steps? Shek hinted at one. Ribadu didn't give me anything.

I can agree Ribadu could have toned down the aggression and kept time better but the patent unfairness towards him was borne of bias. You claim Ribadu "lost it" (or something to that effect) because he was booed . As an intelligent guy , if you were watching without bias, you will see that the crowd were showing a lack of sophistication . if Ribadu wanted to imply that we are not corrupt by Nature before he was shouted down . He eventually went on to state this . Are our children born corrupt or does the environment corrupt them? If corruption is reduced and , social reorientation pursued , is it not possible to move away from corruption ? What is the profit of the crowd by telling the world we are corrupt? From now on I suggest we all simply concur with non-Nigerians when they come to Nairaland to brand us as a nation of 150 million corrupt people.
His point may even be correct. But when conveying thoughts and ideas, the order you present them is important. Did he have to lead off with something like, "Nigerians are not corrupt?" Why didn't he lead his audience into this idea?

Structuring your ideas properly is very important when speaking. If you wanted to write a newspaper article to sell headlines, then sure, lead off with "Nigeria is not corrupt." But when giving a speech, probably better to restructure things.

Anyway, don't blame me. The audience didn't like his approach either.

If it had been me, I'd have structured the presentation of ideas differently. Something like:
1) Attack the system
2) Place more emphasis on how it has bred bad habits.
3) Ask, "Are Nigerians inherently evil people, or is it the bad system we have?"
4) "No, Nigerians are not evil. We are not inherently corrupt. The system is the problem. It is this system which I seek to reform so that. . . "

Sort of see what I'm saying? When presenting ideas, you have to be very careful how you do it. Ribadu was not.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2011
@eku bear said

Well, Shekarau's main point is that (A) I've already solved a similar problem in my own state (B) inclusiveness was a key tool I used, making sure everyone gets to share and feel as if they are not being marginalized. I did this concretely in my own cabinet by appointing Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw, etc.

That at least sketches out the idea of a solution.

Ribadu gave empty platititudes.

Dude, keep in mind that I'm an ACN supporter! But I'm also trying to be honest and fair. Ribadu did not do well in my opinion. Simple as that.

Jos is not Kano. The situation is different. Jos is a majority christian state being apparently invaded by outside forces that seem bent on grabbing a much bigger stake in lands not theirs, and imposing more of their will on the indeginous community, with apparent collusion by the Nigerian state and military. How is that like Kano?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Pharoh: 11:53pm On Mar 18, 2011
Sky Blue:

So in a nutshell he prioritised political survival over defending his candidacy and vision for the nation under arguably more in-depth scrutiny?

He is going to do that under the legitimate entity that should have conducted this debate which is BON in conjunction with other local stations. It is coming up on the 29th of this month and this nn24 is a new private station that does not have any form of national coverage.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by sesman(m): 11:56pm On Mar 18, 2011
Adrenaline:

Hey sesman please post a link so others can go view the debate as well please  lipsrsealed

here you go, the picture quality is not great but the sound is perfect, enjoy

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13401163
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Mar 18, 2011
Pharoh:

He is going to do that under the[b] legitimate entity [/b]that should have conducted this debate which is BON in conjunction with other local stations. It is coming up on the 29th of this month and this nn24 is a new private station that does not have any form of national coverage.

NN24 is a LEGITIMATE entity -- it is licensed under the NBC. Or what else does a media house need to be legitimate?

Also, why did he accept to attend, only not to show up last minute?

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/finally-jonathan-agrees-television-debate
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 11:59pm On Mar 18, 2011
Sky Blue:

@eku bear said
Jos is not Kano. The situation is different. Jos is a majority christian state being apparently invaded by outside forces that seem bent on grabbing a much bigger stake in lands not theirs, and imposing more of their will on the indeginous community, with apparent collusion by the Nigerian state and military. How is that like Kano?

I am NOT saying that they are EXACTLY the same. I'm saying that there are SIMILAR! Certainly, Jos/Kano are more similar than Jos/Boko Haram.

Or do you disagree?

And to be clear, the Hausa in Jos have lived there since the early 1900s. Realistically, they won't be kicked out wholesale. We'll have to come up with a power-sharing arrangement that allows the two communities to live in peace. That is the only way this is really going to be solved.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Newscaster: 12:00am On Mar 19, 2011
I beleive Ribadu smoked igbo before he came to the debate.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 12:00am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

He is going to do that under the legitimate entity that should have conducted this debate which is BON in conjunction with other local stations. It is coming up on the 29th of this month and this nn24 is a new private station that does not have any form of national coverage.

Well, about more days to go for that debate, two weeks after that, elections. Would be amusing if the guys that turned up today don't show up for that one.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by kokoA(m): 12:04am On Mar 19, 2011
when will they hold First Lady's debate? I am sure madam patience will show up.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 19, 2011
sesman:

here you go, the picture quality is not great but the sound is perfect, enjoy

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13401163

Thanks humbre smiley

Newscaster:

I beleive Ribadu smoked igbo before he came to the debate.

ROFL grin You'r funny man, can't wait to watch it myself
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Pharoh: 12:06am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

NN24 is a LEGITIMATE entity -- it is licensed under the NBC. Or what else does a media house need to be legitimate?

They are legitimate to operate as a media house and there is absolutely no doubt about that but they are not the right candidate to conduct the presidential debate that should have been the number one yardstick in Nigeria. BON or NBC should be the one doing that and not a private station that just springed up yesterday so that's my point.

kokoA:

when will they hold First Lady's debate? I am sure madam patience will show up.

First lady is not an electable post and has nothing to do with governing Nigeria so it is not needed.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SkyBlue1: 12:06am On Mar 19, 2011
eku_bear:

I am NOT saying that they are EXACTLY the same. I'm saying that there are SIMILAR! Certainly, Jos/Kano are more similar than Jos/Boko Haram

Or do you disagree?

They might share some similarities but are ultimately different and whoever does not get that will not be able to solve the problem. The issue in Jos is a simple matter of justice, hence no need for pseudo nationalistic rhetoric about bringing peace by getting 'stakeholders' and all groups "involved". That is insulting to the situation happening in Jos and I have to say is simply a microcosm of what goes on in a larger sense in the Nigerian state. The groups involved are minority ethnic groups hence the urgency to solve the problem doesn't seem to be there (and heads and eyes are even turned the other way).
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by honeric01(m): 12:07am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^^

CPC government promise to remove the office of the FL, totally useless office.

If God calls me to be a pastor, must my wife be a pastor too?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 12:08am On Mar 19, 2011
Sky Blue:

They might share some similarities but are ultimately different and whoever does not get that will not be able to solve the problem. The issue in Jos is a simple matter of justice, hence no need for pseudo nationalistic rhetoric about bringing peace by getting 'stakeholders' and all groups "involved". That is insulting to the situation happening in Jos and I have to say is simply a microcosm of what goes on in a larger sense in the Nigerian state. The groups involved are minority ethnic groups hence the urgency to solve the problem doesn't seem to be there (and heads and eyes are even turned the other way).

What is the "simple matter of justice" that you would apply?

Please enlighten me.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Gbawe: 12:09am On Mar 19, 2011
Sky Blue:

@eku bear said

Thank you !!! This is precisely my point. Ribadu says the fundamental issues of Justice and the economy (joblessless et al) must be addressed to bring an end to crisis such as that seen in Jos . How is that "vague" according to Eku Bear ? What more detail should he go into ? Should he tell us about the Berom people in Jos and their unique perspective? Is it not commonsense , as we have concluded tirelessly on Nairaland , that fairness to all sides involved (i.e justice and equity) are the fundamentals of achieving lasting peace? Even on the Niger Delta Ribadu carried on similarly by stating that a Marshall plan will be in place to sincerely address the injustice against the region that produce our wealth . This Marshall plan will address road construction, employment , infrastructure etc . Buhari and Shekarau were nowhere near as detailed IMO.

I think you are a fair person so I think you should watch the debate or , better still,  get a transcript and post your opinion. I am sure if the debate was transcripted Ribadu would be first as far as understanding the problems and offering solutions. Shekarau is the most conventionally eloquent but he did not , by any stretch of the imagination, provide solutions better than those Ribadu suggested . Many are merely taken with his eloquence .
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

They are legitimate to operate as a media house and there is absolutely no doubt about that but they are not the right candidate to conduct the presidential debate that should have been the number one yardstick in Nigeria. BON or NBC should be the one doing that and not a private station that just springed up yesterday so that's my point.

So, a legitimate media house is still not right for a presidential debate? WHY? Even after the president even agreed to it?
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Newscaster: 12:11am On Mar 19, 2011
I am the most experienced - says Ribadu.

Buhari says - ferform instead of perform

LOL.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (28) (Reply)

Wike: "I Will Release Video Of Police Commissioner Plotting To Rig Elections" / Kwara State Governor, PDP Guber Candidate In Bribery Scandal (pictures) / Civilian JTF Capture Boko Haram Members On Numbers 41 & 90 Wanted Army List(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.