Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,592 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building (46131 Views)

Deeper Life Church Building Collapses In Lagos, Worshippers Injured / Victor Umeh Transforms A Catholic Church Building In Cameroon (Photos) / Deeper Life Headquarters Church Building Lagos, Set To Be Commissioned (Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by johnhood(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2020
Money that should have been used to train people like us who has no helper alas you put in a building in form of church while most of congregation are hungry and many are next to beggars. After everything that church will be defiled. That cathedral is built with the congregation's money many which even a cup of garri is gold to them. Shame! Shame!! Shame!!! Please for what-the-Bleep sake build people not cathedral. It has no value. Yeah in case you don't I don't fucking give a bleep about religion. It hasn't and I don't think it will help anybody.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by pk2me: 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:
Very beautiful ..but will definitely be filled with images,..that is my problem.

I am a born Catholic but stop attending when I got tired of battling with my conscience wether prostrating Infront of those images is right or wrong, and praying to Mary was one other doctrine I could not understand...but I am still in love with Catholic hymns so much..in fact I listen to hymns almost every night while I sleep off...

God bless the Pope and give him the wisdom to reduce those images and also abolish the prayer to Mary and other saints so that I can return back to my Catholic..
No one is interested in your jargons, stop making noise and focus on your new church.

2 Likes

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by goodheart02(m): 8:05pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:
Very beautiful ..but will definitely be filled with images,..that is my problem.

I am a born Catholic but stop attending when I got tired of battling with my conscience wether prostrating Infront of those images is right or wrong, and praying to Mary was one other doctrine I could not understand...but I am still in love with Catholic hymns so much..in fact I listen to hymns almost every night while I sleep off...

God bless the Pope and give him the wisdom to reduce those images and also abolish the prayer to Mary and other saints so that I can return back to my Catholic..

First of all lemme point out u were never a Catholic, so u don't need to hide under the guise to throw your swipes. If u were truly Catholic, u will know no one prays to Mary and that's why every prayer in the Catholic Church ends with the saying, "through Christ our lord" and not "through Mary" because no one gets to the father except through Christ.

And if u really love those hymns as u claim, u will find out that in them lies the truth about the Worship of God in the form of the Holy Trinity.

Anyways I love the fact u confessed u never understood the doctrine. I guess that's why u say all this.

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by goodheart02(m): 8:12pm On Nov 20, 2020
edoairways:

Most Catholics worship Mary

And yet they say "The lord's prayer?" And yet they celebrate "Good Friday" and all celebrations attributed to our Lord Jesus Christ and are also at the fore front of anything to do with Jesus Christ world wide? ? Sometimes u people don't need to talk based on rubbish u hear from barbing salons and bet9ja shops.

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Daguccizgreat(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:

You lack wisdom and knowledge towards understanding Christianity
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by edoairways: 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2020
goodheart02:

And yet they say "The lord's prayer?" And yet they celebrate "Good Friday" and all celebrations attributed to our Lord Jesus Christ and are also at the fore front of anything to do with Jesus Christ world wide? ? Sometimes u people don't need to talk based on rubbish u hear from barbing salons and bet9ja shops.
Here are some of the facts that attribute them to idolatry
1. Praying to the saints which is idolatry and unscriptural. For example, a decade of the Rosary contains ten Hail Marys and only one Our Father.
2.Bowing down to images of Mary and Jesus which is strictly forbidden in Scripture…
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.” – Exodus 20:4-6
(NKJV)
3. Another fact is praying to Mary to intercede. The Holy Scriptures do not teach that the Virgin Mary is our mother. The Scriptures do teach that Mary was the mother of Jesus but they do not teach her as being the mother of God. Jesus Christ, the Divine Son of God, existed since eternity past. The Bible does not teach us to pray to Mary. The Bible teaches to pray to God solely through the name of Jesus Christ and none else.
"For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, – 1 Timothy 2:5 (NKJV)
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by francdec4(m): 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2020
Catholics don't worship Mary, they give her honour. Am sure you won't want someone coming to beg you for favors, and gifts and at same time ignoring your mother.

edoairways:

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Pilate2016(m): 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2020
adonaimart:
I observed that in Nigeria, Catholic cathedrals are the most beautiful structures.

I was more shocked when I passed a village main road in the East and the most beautiful structure along that road is a church. The other structures were many shanties and few modern living structures.

The elites and even the poor are more willing to contribute to church building funds than to contribute to building of schools, etc.
Do I blame the people? No. When there is failure in a human society, the people turn to religion.
Why do people contribute devotedly? Because the contributions comes with a promise, that the ills of the land, will one day be solved.
Pls enlighten me if I am wrong.

The people contribute because they love the Lord God. At the pick of the construction, even the elderly ones were coming to do manual work just to show appreciation to God.

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ststyreal(f): 8:49pm On Nov 20, 2020
edoairways:

Let me sing the song for you, it goes thus: "we are honouring Mary, we are honouring,
We are honouring Mary never worshipping,
Some people saying worshipper not at all, everybody join in chorus, honour her, honour Mary"
You see, Catholics only honour Mary as the mother of our saviour and not worshipping her. Hope I am loud enough my fellow Catholics in faith....

2 Likes

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Pilate2016(m): 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2020
Danny50:
Old testament you said bro give yourself brain.
The same old testament he quoted to counter me.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by UsmanBabaIdris: 9:02pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:

Doing all that is part of Idolatory which God condemn in the book of Exodus:

{20:3} Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
{20:4} Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: {20:5} Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;"

Pr
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Ifeoluwav(f): 9:13pm On Nov 20, 2020
Dawnofhope:
the school and hospitals the churches build in this country are they not enough for us to Appreciate?

The schools and the hospitals don't seem to be a priority like the church is. They don't all cater for the poor masses like they should. But they want the masses to keep attending the churches.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Incognito403: 9:32pm On Nov 20, 2020
HITsquad:
I can already guess your age by your comment. Must you disrespect someone you can't stand in his face on the street just to make your point? Nairaland should have age limit mehn. We are done bro

Peace ✌️
That's right, complain of disrespect once you're bursted.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by UnimkeAk(m): 10:09pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:

All of a sudden the Catholic Church which is the custodian of Christianity, fought for christanity(crusades) selected and kept the Bible and christian traditions safe for centuries is now into idolatory...

Mind u im not religious...
I identify as a Christian due to my fictional identity
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by NazoTimes(m): 10:20pm On Nov 20, 2020
Pilate2016:

And Solomon made images of the Cherubim for the church in Jerusalem. Is the Bible now contradictory?
Brother, you don't interpret the Bible literally and many laws giving in the old testament were for a reason.
If we are to go literally, we are all guilt cos you too have your image somewhere.
Don't forget that God later punished Solomon by taking 10 tribes away from his sons

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Lifepodcastng: 10:54pm On Nov 20, 2020
When Paul wrote that letter, there was nothing like Christianity. Those people were true believers who were all prosecuted for their faith until the pagan Roman government disbanded the whole thing, attacked judea and Jerusalem. Stole all the scroll and burn down the city. They took the scroll and with that formed the twisted religion called Christianity with the deluded one who calls himself ‘holy father’ saying he’s a direct successor of apostle Peter. Of them Jesus preached John 10:10. They mean no well but to continue their paganism with the name of Christ. Go check all these things in history. It’s important to know the times and the people certain parts of the Bible is talking to. If you do not get little things like this, you can not understand the Bible.

Dawnofhope:
but when paul wrote a letter to christians in rome , he didn't regarded to them as Pagans but shower Praises on their faith .
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by emzynuel1: 11:28pm On Nov 20, 2020
Ever8090:

Did u stop going to school because your friends said u ain't intelligent enough
Stop making excuses
You just never understood the Catholic Church period
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Odingo1: 12:11am On Nov 21, 2020
People arguing over Catholic Church while holding a Bible that was put together and giving to them by Catholic Church.

African people.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ABOVEDELAW: 2:56am On Nov 21, 2020
WHY DON'T YOU TACKLE YOUR GOVERNMENT AND POLITICIANS FOR JOBS CREATION. THE CHURCH OWES YOU NOTHING.
Ozmar:
We keep building the largest church structures in West Africa and even globally, yet, no job for the teeming youth population. Talk of misplaced priorities.
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ozoono(m): 4:22am On Nov 21, 2020
Ever8090:

is ur Bible u used in praying not an image or ur handset not one pls b reasonable for once
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ozoono(m): 4:35am On Nov 21, 2020
Ozmar:
Oga, don't try to sugar-coat anything. The bible says "Do not make an image of anything in heaven and do not now down before them" . Meaning, I can bow before an oba cause he's not an image of anything in heaven, rather, bowing down to an image of Jesus is a sin.

Read your bible with understanding. I'm equally Catholic but my spirit doesn't agree with such things.
u sounds very stupid. d Jesus u bow to or worship. is an actor oh. or where u dere wen he was born?. or pls Mrs. P.A to God. educated me on the tins of God since u av been there
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ozoono(m): 4:51am On Nov 21, 2020
dalass:

It is plainly written in Exodus 20:4. You shall not make any graven images or bow to them.....

Those in authority and alive we may bow, prostrate for to respect their leadership positions but not to pray to them as we do God!

Even when the leaders now pass away, you don't make images of them and bow or pray to them, or do we?

E.g... I can kneel or bow to the Pope while alive as a sign of respect but when he dies, it is a sin to be bowing or prostrating to be praying to him for answering prayers when he clearly has no power to do so
so who gave Moses his rod? who comanded Moses to make a stutue of a snake. when d isrealites was in d wilderness? av u ever heard of d ark of God in d Bible. pls b rational, or better still read ur Bible slowly
wait oh is Jesus Christ not dead why are u still praying through him to the father. pls answer

2 Likes

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by ozoono(m): 5:01am On Nov 21, 2020
Danny50:
Old testament you said bro give yourself brain.
old testament u said. do u pay ur tithe? is tithing not in old testament? ur reasoning is beyond me
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by charlesazeh(m): 5:52am On Nov 21, 2020
Catholics don't worship Mary, we honour her..
We don't pray to her but ask for intercession..
edoairways:

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by edoairways: 8:01am On Nov 21, 2020
charlesazeh:
Catholics don't worship Mary, we honour her..
We don't pray to her but ask for intercession..
The bible is against this
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Dawnofhope: 7:10pm On Nov 21, 2020
Lifepodcastng:
When Paul wrote that letter, there was nothing like Christianity. Those people were true believers who were all prosecuted for their faith until the pagan Roman government disbanded the whole thing, attacked judea and Jerusalem. Stole all the scroll and burn down the city. They took the scroll and with that formed the twisted religion called Christianity with the deluded one who calls himself ‘holy father’ saying he’s a direct successor of apostle Peter. Of them Jesus preached John 10:10. They mean no well but to continue their paganism with the name of Christ. Go check all these things in history. It’s important to know the times and the people certain parts of the Bible is talking to. If you do not get little things like this, you can not understand the Bible.

so paul wrote it to Pagans ? the introduction states ' to the church in rome ' . Was the word church meant for pagans ? And was paul a christian or pagan ?
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Dawnofhope: 7:47pm On Nov 21, 2020
Ifeoluwav:

The schools and the hospitals don't seem to be a priority like the church is. They don't all cater for the poor masses like they should. But they want the masses to keep attending the churches.
. Remember that the poor had their contribution too in the church . the sources of income of the church is from the masses , the church don't control the mineral resources nor did they collect taxes . Is the government's responsibility to take care of the Welfare of the masses . the developed countries are not build by churches nor can we say they don't build expensive churches . the church build orphanage homes and some even recreational centres . So our poverty level should be blame on our government not religious bodies please
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Lifepodcastng: 7:48pm On Nov 21, 2020
Simple problem that we can solve by reading history. When Paul write that letter, there was nothing like Christianity. He wrote it to the Jews in Rome and those invited Romans into the fray but the Romans were pagans at that time, even till day. Christianity is a rebranded paganism if you do not know

Dawnofhope:
so paul wrote it to Pagans ? the introduction states ' to the church in rome ' . Was the word church meant for pagans ? And was paul a christian or pagan ?
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Ifeoluwav(f): 8:15pm On Nov 21, 2020
Dawnofhope:
. Remember that the poor had their contribution too in the church . the sources of income of the church is from the masses , the church don't control the mineral resources nor did they collect taxes . Is the government's responsibility to take care of the Welfare of the masses . the developed countries are not build by churches nor can we say they don't build expensive churches . the church build orphanage homes and some even recreational centres . So our poverty level should be blame on our government not religious bodies please

Ok

1 Like

Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Dawnofhope: 8:24pm On Nov 21, 2020
Lifepodcastng:
Simple problem that we can solve by reading history. When Paul write that letter, there was nothing like Christianity. He wrote it to the Jews in Rome and those invited Romans into the fray but the Romans were pagans at that time, even till day. Christianity is a rebranded paganism if you do not know

lol .......... paul wrote it to both the jews and gentiles who have faith in Jesus Christ (christians). His letter was to believers not non believers as you think . Read your Bible well and the church history . Any jew who didn't believe in Jesus was also term a 'disbeliever' . Paul when to rome and Preach for two years with out Persecution .
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Lifepodcastng: 10:37pm On Nov 21, 2020
Church history is different from Catholic history. By the time Paul wrote. There’s nothing like Christianity. Paul wrote to believers. The Jews were these people. From those Jews joined gentiles to them and the church grew. I really would not argue with you on this anymore. Just go and read history. I hope you know the same Roman government killed both Paul and Peter. Paul preached for two years bc GOD is with him and not bc the Romans weren’t pagan. Christ spoke and told him he’ll be a light to the gentiles. The problem with people is they mix the Catholic history with the history of the message. Believers were prosecuted until Constantine stoped it. Do not argue what you do not have a valid knowledge of pls.

Dawnofhope:
lol .......... paul wrote it to both the jews and gentiles who have faith in Jesus Christ (christians). His letter was to believers not non believers as you think . Read your Bible well and the church history . Any jew who didn't believe in Jesus was also term a 'disbeliever' . Paul when to rome and Preach for two years with out Persecution .
Re: Nsukka Dedicates St Theresa's Cathedral Church Building by Chizzychinny: 11:51pm On Nov 21, 2020
Pilate2016:

I believe you should rather try to study more on the church doctrines than just trying to condemn them via lack of proper knowledge.
Bowing down to someone or something doesn't automatically means you are worshipping them else those bowing to the Obas, Igwes, the National Assembly Maze, etc are guilty. Thanks
He was never a catholic

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye At Glory Dome For Dunamis' 25th Anniversary (photos/video) / 'A Pregnant Married Woman Accused Biodun Fatoyinbo Of Rape'' - Adesuwa Onyenokwe / Chris Oyakhilome Pledges N1billion To Benson Idahosa University (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.