Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate (11942 Views)

Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Gusau Did Not Attend Katsina College With Buhari – Fani-Kayode / Breaking News;jonathan Did Not Complete His Ph.d Course- Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:55am On Mar 19, 2011
Newscaster:

thats their opinion - just like others have the right to make theirs. Dont u know?

There are 21 Presidential candidates. Not 4. What will u say about others?

Only the main 4 were called on . . . If you watched the debate, you would note that was said too.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Newscaster: 12:56am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^^

Kobo. Do you need a ticket to come home and be a volunteer in monitoring the elections? All expense paid.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Mar 19, 2011
^^ Stick to the Topic . . . .

Again, only the major 4 Candidates were invited for the debate, and so only one did not show.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Newscaster: 12:59am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^

I love u
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:01am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

No, we do not have a traditional platform . . . BON has simply been involved in organizing some past debates. that does not now make them the one and only group that can. I can't believe you are even swallowing this up. NO one Organization out there HAS THE SOLE RIGHTS on presidential debates. That is against what these debates really represent.

I have explained myself on the other thread and i do support other stations organizing a debate and neither am i swallowing this up just like that without thinking. I don't believe in sole rights but if he does not attend this then there are others to attend without people crucifying him like this is the major and only credible debates that we can have. I am open to about three or five debates before the election but i am really not cool with the bias against the president. I am not saying this because he is my candidate and even if i have the chance to vote this debates will not be the sole yard stick for doing that.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by blacksta(m): 1:03am On Mar 19, 2011
Abeg visit GEJ FB page  - it is looks like GEJ will forced to close that page very soon- cause the yabbis is too much
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:05am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Only the main 4 were called on . .  . If you watched the debate, you would note that was said too.

What criteria are we going to use to judge the main candidates? . . .so only main candidates has the right to a debate?.

By your reason above can we extend it and create a criteria to choose a media house that is the main entity to conduct a debate?. This is what i have always asked for, fairness and justice to all candidates and media houses.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by timbuktwo: 1:07am On Mar 19, 2011
Newscaster:

thats their opinion - just like others have the right to make theirs. Dont u know?

There are 21 Presidential candidates. Not 4. What will u say about others?

you are right, everyone is enlightened to their opinion; indeed there are some out there whole believe that the Holocaust didn't take place. but just because you have an opinion doesn't make it the RIGHT opinion. therefore, i am just doing my bit as a reasonable nigerian by trying to educate you wayward souls.

and don't get me stated on other 21 presidential candidates  angry angry angry the reason that PDP have been able to dominate for such a long period of time is because our "multi-party" system is ineffective. in a weak democracy such as ours you inevitable end up with a single party system. it hasn't worked, and it isn't working.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:08am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Facebook is seen only ONLINE in Nigeria--- that has not stopped the president from using that as his MAJOR channel for reaching the Nigerian people.

I don't get the many excuses  . . . really!

I don't think facebook is the major channel for reaching out to Nigerians as there has been campaigns, posters, party meetings, adverts on television, newspapers and radio stations. There has been interviews, meetings and endorsements from important groups and associations in the country as well.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:10am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I have explained myself on the other thread and i do support other stations organizing a debate and neither am i swallowing this up just like that without thinking. I don't believe in sole rights but if he does not attend this then there are others to attend without people crucifying him like this is the major and only credible debates that we can have. I am open to about three or five debates before the election but i am really not cool with the bias against the president. I am not saying this because he is my candidate and even if i have the chance to vote this debates will not be the sole yard stick for doing that.
I understand that you have explained YOURSELF, but you are suggesting here that Jonathan’s reasons are LEGITIMATE and posturing that it is right for the president to forego a debate simply because it is not organized by BON.
• There is NO SUCH thing as a MAJOR debate ---  no one group has sole rights or major rights to debates, even in Nigeria

• NN24 is a credible media house and has the license to show for this – you positing that a debate by NN24 is not credible simply because BON( a private organization) is not involved is simply you trying to disparage NN24 simply because you can

• You have NO PROOF that the debate was biased in anyway --- If you do, please show it or stop, again, trying to damage the image of NN24

• Again, NO one Group, or groups in Nigeria have SOLE rights to debates – let alone Credible debates in Nigeria

Also, the people crucifying him are doing so mainly because HE DID NOT SHOW UP for the debate and gave a flimsy BASELESS reason for his absence. NN24 is a legitimate and registered media house in Nigeria and the president simply pretending it suddenly has the say when it comes to what organization can or cannot organize a debate speaks volumes of what this administration thinks of Nigerians. Worse, he had no problems with granting someone like D'Banj( might as well had been Lady Gaga) an interview yesterday.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 1:10am On Mar 19, 2011
blacksta:

Abeg visit GEJ FB page  - it is looks like GEJ will forced to close that page very soon- cause the yabbis is too much

Homie, abeg post links for us that are anti-facebook.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:12am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I don't think facebook is the major channel for reaching out to Nigerians as there has been campaigns, posters, party meetings, adverts on television, newspapers and radio stations. There has been interviews, meetings and endorsements from important groups and associations in the country as well.
WOW . . . you even missed that one  . . . lol

Facebook is Not a major Channel, BUT Jonathan has had no problems using it to his advantage. So the excuse that NN24 is not a major channel and hence the reason for his absence is horrible as an excuse. Do you get it now??
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:18am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . . you even missed that one  . . . lol

Facebook is Not a major Channel, BUT Jonathan has had no problems using it to his advantage. So the excuse that NN24 is not a major channel and hence the reason for his absence is horrible as an excuse. Do you get it now??

The reason they gave was not about being a major channel but that the date was clashing with their unchangeable schedules hence NN24 should have teamed up with the traditional platform instead.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:26am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I understand that you have explained YOURSELF, but you are suggesting here that Jonathan’s reasons are LEGITIMATE and posturing that it is right for the president to forego a debate simply because it is not organized by BON.
• There is NO SUCH thing as a MAJOR debate ---  no one group has sole rights or major rights to debates, even in Nigeria

• NN24 is a credible media house and has the license to show for this – you positing that a debate by NN24 is not credible simply because BON( a private organization) is not involved is simply you trying to disparage NN24 simply because you can

• You have NO PROOF that the debate was biased in anyway --- If you do, please show it or stop, again, trying to damage the image of NN24

• Again, NO one Group, or groups in Nigeria have SOLE rights to debates – let alone Credible debates in Nigeria

Also, the people crucifying him are doing so mainly because HE DID NOT SHOW UP for the debate and gave a flimsy BASELESS reason for his absence. NN24 is a legitimate and registered media house in Nigeria and the president simply pretending it suddenly has the say when it comes to what organization can or cannot organize a debate speaks volumes of what this administration thinks of Nigerians. Worse, he had no problems with granting someone like D'Banj( might as well had been Lady Gaga) an interview yesterday.

The president wanted to attend this debate but it clashed with his schedules and they have not said other media houses cannot conduct debates. I am not saying that the debates is biased and i have given it a passmark already. People just don't want to see reasons why a debate can be skipped because they are biased towards NN24 and forget that there are other debates coming up. My point is if people say that the one organized by BON and company is tilted in favor to the president then what can we say about NN24?.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:26am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

The reason they gave was not about being a major channel but that  the date was clashing with their unchangeable schedules hence NN24 should have teamed up with the traditional platform instead.

Pharoh:

The president wanted to attend this debate[b] but it clashed with his schedules[/b] and they have not said other media houses cannot conduct debates. I am not saying that the debates is biased and i have given it a passmark already. People just don't want to see reasons why a debate can be skipped because they are biased towards NN24 and forget that there are other debates coming up. My point is if people say that the one organized by BON and company is tilted in favor to the president then what can we say about NN24?.

sigh! So, please do tell us, what did this debate clash with  . . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:27am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So, please do tell us, what did this debate clash with  . . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I am not the president so i am really not qualified to answer that questions but as the president of a delicate country as ours, he should surely have some state matters to attend to.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I am not the president so i am really not qualified to answer that questions but as the president of a delicate country as ours, he should surely have some state matters to attend to.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You are not the president but you know that the reason why he did not attend is NOW because he had something else scheduled? Even when the link you had up earlier does not make that to be the case?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 1:49am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You are not the president but you know that the reason why he did not attend is NOW because he had something else scheduled? Even when the link you had up earlier does not make that to be the case?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I was just implying that he might have some other matters to give his attention and what link did i posted which said otherwise?.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 1:51am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I was just implying that he might have some other matters to give his attention and what link did i posted which said otherwise?.

Other matters more important than a Presidential debate he knew about weeks before? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Like?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 1:52am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

Sigh!!!

May I suggest you STOP MANUFACTURING REASONS for him, and instead accept what we actually know to be his given reason then?  undecided undecided

We know he was able to grant an interview yesterday to D'Banj(again might as well had been Lady Gaga), but gave no indications that he would not have time for a debate the next day.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by dayokanu(m): 1:57am On Mar 19, 2011
I guess many ppl here don't know the meaning of clueless

A man is mumu plus clueless and you expect something sensible from him?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 2:02am On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

We know he was able to grant an interview yesterday to D'Banj(again might as well had been Lady Gaga), but gave no indications that he would not have time for a debate the next day.

Debates are different from interviews and there is not point crucifying him for not coming as there are other debates available which he his surely going to make.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 2:07am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

Debates are different from interviews and there is not point crucifying him for not coming as there are other debates available which he his surely going to make.

I am sorry but people have a right to do so as his excuse does not seem to make sense to all -- so far, it is baseless, and just shoddy by a lot of standards (sounded more like a GBAJUE/419 excuse). I mean how dare a whole president suggest that a licensed legitimate and independent organization is not recognized enough to hold a presidential debate . . . that is unacceptable as an excuse.  I can imagine all sorts of lawsuits if that had been here in the United States.

I get that you think it is ironclad even though it is clear at this point you are not even able to able to explain the why or how of your conclusion to anyone else but yourself but come on . . . . for you to then decide there is no point for anyone else to crucify him for this is a leap. People do not think or reason the way you do in this. Some  people expect more from their leaders . . . Jonathan included.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 2:09am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

What other matters can be more important? Please explain.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Pharoh: 2:54am On Mar 19, 2011
Sagamite:

What other matters can be more important? Please explain.

Do i look like the president or does a president not have daily schedules anymore?. He is the president and he will surely allocate his time towards events that he deems are worth his attention. He is the one that surely knows what is important to him and not NN24 or any other person or body.

Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but people have a right to do so as his excuse does not seem to make sense to all -- so far, it is baseless, and just shoddy by a lot of standards (sounded more like a GBAJUE/419 excuse). I mean how dare a whole president suggest that a licensed legitimate and independent organization is not recognized enough to hold a presidential debate . . . that is unacceptable as an excuse.  I can imagine all sorts of lawsuits if that had been here in the United States.

I get that you think it is ironclad even though it is clear at this point you are not even able to able to explain the why or how of your conclusion to anyone else but yourself but come on . . . . for you to then decide there is no point for anyone else to crucify him for this is a leap. People do not think or reason the way you do in this. Some  people expect more from their leaders . . . Jonathan included.

I do understand your point and expect more from my leaders, i am not in support or happy that he was not at  the debate but at the same time it is not a crime for me to accept his excuse for not doing that. He simply was not there, we are sad and pissed about that but in my own case i see reasons with his excuse simple. Even as the president he has choices to make and we also do have our own choices to make as well. He was not at the debate based on his choice and if we are so pissed off then exercise your right and make your own choices as well like not voting for him. Please he has not said that NN24 is not a legitimate media house to conduct a presidential debate but the date doesn't fall into his schedules and moreover it is not a crime to evaluate a debate invitation and refuse to attend based on the outcome of your assessment.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Sagamite(m): 3:09am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

Do i look like the president or does a president not have daily schedules anymore?. He is the president and he will surely allocate his time towards events that he deems are worth his attention. He is the one that surely knows what is important to him and not NN24 or any other person or body.

Then stop giving lame excuses for him because you want to blindly support.

High intellect will tell you that: There is virtually nothing, bar a national catastrophe or emergency, that should stop a civilised and democratically-minded PRESIDENT from attending a high profile presidential debate where he is being invited to explain to the people why he his worthy, and should continue, to be the number one public servant. To continue having the power to DICTATE their LIVES AND EXISTENCE! He should reschedule everything and make it a high priority, not give a lame interview by a "Ijebu-Ijesha girls like koboko" character and then give excuses for not coming to face his rivals for leading the people.

NOTHING!

Stop defending the indefensible!

They really need to re-evaluate the university work of this buffoon called GEJ and find out how he got his PhD. Was he bribing lecturers or something?
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Kobojunkie: 3:19am On Mar 19, 2011
Pharoh:

I do understand your point and expect more from my leaders, i am not in support or happy that he was not at  the debate but at the same time it is not a crime for me to accept his excuse for not doing that. He simply was not there, we are sad and pissed about that but in my own case i see reasons with his excuse simple. Even as the president he has choices to make and we also do have our own choices to make as well. He was not at the debate based on his choice and if we are so pissed off then exercise your right and make your own choices as well like not voting for him. Please [b]he has not said that NN24 is not a legitimate media house to conduct a presidential debate but the date doesn't fall into his schedules [/b]and moreover it is not a crime to evaluate a debate invitation and refuse to attend based on the outcome of your assessment.

Please stop lying for him!  You said earlier that he never claimed to have something better to do but here you are again offering up the same lie as his excuse? Come on!!! jeezzz
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Nobody: 3:33am On Mar 19, 2011
So he didnt actually go? Then what was the whole big commotion about "I am NOW ready to debate"?

This dude is not serious about this presy campaign, he actually thinks he already won. I actually feel insulted, that my want for GEJ to debate was disregarded. This is ridiculous!
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by JohnDoe77(m): 5:01am On Mar 19, 2011
ITS OBVIOUS U ARE ALSO FROM THE 'UMBLERRA' PARTY.
YOU ARE ALL ONE AND THE SAME.
NICOMPOOPS.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Beaf: 5:10am On Mar 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So he didnt actually go? Then what was the whole big commotion about "I am NOW ready to debate"?

This dude is not serious about this presy campaign, he actually thinks he already won. I actually feel insulted, that my want for GEJ to debate was disregarded. This is ridiculous!

He said he would attend the BON debate, which is still ahead. Also, his team made it clear that NN24 is a private station for elite viewing only, whereas Bon is the umbrella association of all Nigeria's public and private broadcasters, with nationwide coverage.

He didn't say he would attend NN24.
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by Solomon227(m): 5:45am On Mar 19, 2011
President Jonathan is so busy he cannot defend his Govt before millions of Nigeria but he had maximum time with the KOKOMASTER.,.,.,what a twist!

He is scared like shi.t and in fact, after seeing the 3 musketeers last night, he will be preparing to skip the BON debate. He stands for nothing and have nothing to proffer or defend.

Guys let's await his final shame at the BON's open-book exam. He will still fail woefully; he is an empty unblella with nothing to offer

[size=24pt]Vote Buhari-Bakare 2011[/size] for the future of children
Re: Reason Why Jonathan Did Not Attend The Presidential Debate by naijaking1: 6:22am On Mar 19, 2011
I'm very proud of GEJ for not attending this debate. Please read for yourselves:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-626791.0.html

[size=18pt]Why I didn’t attend NN24 presidential debate ––Jonathan[/size]
From GODWIN TSA, Abuja
Saturday, March 19, 2011

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday adduced reason he did not participate in the presidential debate organised by the NN24, a channel on DSTV. The debate held, in Abuja yesterday.
In a statement by the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation, signed by Mr. Ide Eguabor, director of media/publicity, the president said that he opted out of the debate because he had accepted to attend the one organized by the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups, which has been organising the presidential debate series since 1999.

The campaign organization said that with what the NEDG has done, over the years, in organizing presidential debate, it “does not believe that this relevant and credible body, made up of Nigerians and who will moderate a presidential debate watched by Nigerians on all television and radio stations nationwide should be jettisoned for any other one on the eve of crucial national elections.”

While expressing regrets that he could not attend the NN24 presidential debate, the group said that Jonathan, “who has a carefully drawn out schedule leading up to the elections will not be able to cancel any of his appointments now to attend to a debate that is only the result of a fresh application.”
The statement said: “The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation has watched with utter consternation, efforts by some individuals and groups to feed the Nigerian public with inaccurate and distorted information to suit their selfish ends.

“A presidential debate to be organised by the management of NN24, a subscriber to Multichoice’s DSTV cable, is deliberately being heated up by those who now see what the president will do or will not do as an opportunity for political capital.
“The truth of the matter is that several applications from various groups, including that of NN24, have reached the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation seeking to organise the presidential debate, preparatory to the April general elections.

“The campaign organization sent its officials to sit as observers at some of the meetings called to deliberate on modalities. However, after a thorough examination of the reports of its observers to these meetings, a collective decision was taken to retain the body that had organized presidential debates since 1999 and has performed creditably well and so, saw no need to discard the platform and template for another.

“The fact is that, the Nigerian Election Debate Group (NEDG), organisers of the presidential debate series, is an amalgamation of the Nigeria’s mass media, print and electronic, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON), the Nigeria Bar Association, National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), market women and other civil society groups.
“The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation does not believe that this relevant and credible body, made up of Nigerians and who will moderate a presidential debate watched by Nigerians on all television and radio stations nationwide should be jettisoned for any other on the eve of crucial national elections.

“Furthermore, President Goodluck Jonathan who has a carefully drawn out schedule leading up to the elections will not be able to cancel any of his appointments now to attend to a debate that is only the result of a fresh application.
“Having only just concluded his tour of the 36 states of Nigeria, President Jonathan has a hectic schedule ahead before the grand finale of the state campaigns at Abuja on March 26, 2011.
“The Jonathan/Sambo Campaign Organisation regrets that President Goodluck Jonathan will unavoidably be unable to attend the debate organised by NN24.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tribune Reporter's Confusion Over Identity Of Tinubu's Parents / Mimiko Denies Rumours Of Moving To PDP / House Of Reps Seeks Suspension Of Proposed National Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.