Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? (96510 Views)

Lion Spotted Taking A Walk On The Streets In Roma, Italy Last Night (pics/video) / Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion) / Dubai Tram: Why Don't We Have This Mode Of Public Transport In Nigeria? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 9:59pm On Nov 23, 2020
Ifeoluwav:

It has been said that most history we know today in books, schools, media e.t.c is propaganda history.

To study true history and the reality in which black people find themselves include the following black icons in your study:

John Henrik Clarke, Cheikh Antadiop, Runoko Rashidi, Frances Welsing, Chancellor Williams, Kwameh Nkurumah, Thomas Sankara, Steven Biko Bantu.

For books about history you can start with:
The destruction of black civilisation by Chancellor Williams
How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney
Stolen Legacy by Dr George G. M James

Search history of king Leopold 2 of Belgium to know what he did with Africans in Congo and its consequences then and today.

On the internet to learn about Korea(mongols) and other history you go to http://realhistoryww.com/ scroll down then click china-2
Also since true history is not easily available, you can learn on facebook by typing "Africa" in the search bar and alot to learn on YouTube.

Be the judge when you are done, decide if it is true, if there are any dots to connect and decide where the problems of African/black man started and you will know the way forward.

You might have known some of these though. And also avoid this popular search engines.

This is not feel good history.
"We can't know where we are going to if we don't know where we are coming from".

Thank you. I will check up on them.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by TruthinAction: 10:02pm On Nov 23, 2020
The answer is simple. It's because of corruption.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by McTominay(m): 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2020
tsdarkside:

exactly....
Did you see people Hawking about? If people don't hawk, people won't litter. Moreover we use open drainages while they use hidden drainages.
My point is the standard of living of the Nigerian masses is too low. Am not in support of Nigeria, I am the no.1 hater of this country but the truth is we are just to poor to maintain that standard.
I was watching keeping up with Kardashians today, and I people who were living in tents, shanties in carlifonia. The place looked like the average Nigerian towns, dirty, littered and so on. They we were interviewed, and majority said they didn't have a source of livelihood and couldn't afford rented apartment's.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 10:13pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:

Most white folks who like to visit Africa are only here for SAFARI, to see animals!!

Face the truth bro!!
Africa is the Safari and Africans are the wild animals (monkeys).
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 10:27pm On Nov 23, 2020
samsard:
This is self deceit and playing the victim. Europe was far ahead of subsaharan Africa, especially in science, technology and architecture before colonialism. Most of us didn't even have a writing system, except maybe Ethiopia and the Arabs.

This is the Bamum script from Cameroon. It was outlawed by the French. Nigeria also has Nsidibi and other written languages.

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by NNAMDIII(m): 10:34pm On Nov 23, 2020
Joshater:
CB road fine pass that road by far na! Road wey dey adorned with blood and sweat? Nothing beats that! grin grin grin

Academy is a beautiful place bro, the first time wey i go nda perm site, Allah that place be like outside country grin

CB Road!! Kai! U go warm pot from 21:00hrs till 04:00hrs, i fear cadet wey no fear CB
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2020
The problem in Nigeria is our low tax to GDP of just 6% compared to 14% in Ghana and 28% in South Africa. If Nigeria collected as much tax as Ghana, we would have an annual government tax revenue of $56 billion per year compared to the current $13 billion reported in 2019.

Nigerians love to complain about corruption and mismanagement, but Nigeria's budget is smaller than the budget of a single city in the United States.
Yes, one American city generates more tax revenue than the entire country of Nigeria. That's the main reason why things look so horrible. According to the World Bank, a country will never develop until its tax to GDP ratio hits 15%.

If we don't dramatically increase tax revenue, the country will explode. The government also needs to dramatically cut budgets and salaries to redirect funds to infrastructure.

Solutions

1. We need a massive property tax in cities like Abuja and Lagos. 1% of your property value goes to tax every single year for an infrastructure fund that is directed to road construction and infrastructure in the LGA. Everything must be audited and published online.

2. We need a massive luxury tax of 10% on all plane tickets sold in Nigeria -- the tax jumped to 25% on first class ticket because no black monkey deserves to fly first class while his country looks like a zoo. Learn your place.

3. We need to decentralize an regionalize government. Hausa/Fulani leadership is the main reason why Nigeria is lagging behind its peers like Ghana and the Bantu countries in terms of development. Every region should be responsible for collecting its own taxes and developing its own industries.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by tsdarkside(m): 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2020
McTominay:

Did you see people Hawking about? If people don't hawk, people won't litter. Moreover we use open drainages while they use hidden drainages.
My point is the standard of living of the Nigerian masses is too low. Am not in support of Nigeria, I am the no.1 hater of this country but the truth is we are just to poor to maintain that standard.
I was watching keeping up with Kardashians today, and I people who were living in tents, shanties in carlifonia. The place looked like the average Nigerian towns, dirty, littered and so on. They we were interviewed, and majority said they didn't have a source of livelihood and couldn't afford rented apartment's.

that is no excuse....
you can still hawk and still keep where you hawk clean....

na only black people dey hawk....??
its i dont care mentality dey worry black people....

you cant compare people that hawk with homeless people....

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Aconomist: 10:47pm On Nov 23, 2020
tsdarkside:

that is no excuse....

Paul Kagame banned hawking in Kigali. That's the main reason why the city is so much cleaner than West African cities. Street Hawking must be banned.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by tegrianonigltd(m): 11:08pm On Nov 23, 2020
weyreypey:

It had. I lived in festac. When only LSTC plied the place.

Look the pictures well, look at the trees, the beauty of the roads, welll spaced and tarred, festac never had it, my father grew up there. I asked him just now.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by EMMY76: 11:10pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:
Even ordinary Windhoek in Namibia, Has a beautiful streets with well paved roads and sidewalks, and to imagine Nigeria is 10 times richer than Namibia oo

We're finished in this country

Wow so all these pictures are from Namibia I even thought it's a city in Europe?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Twizzy30(m): 11:59pm On Nov 23, 2020
Ifeoluwav:

I am not agreeing with him, I said that so that he can notice the pattern/trend. It is the world against blacks. Study true history you will see what I mean.
same bullshitt different persons. Talking about It’s the world against Blacks.
Why is it so hard for us to agree that this leadership, governing thing, we suck at it.
Besides, why won’t it be the world against black when we can’t even put our homes in order.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 24, 2020
Twizzy30:
same bullshitt different persons. Talking about It’s the world against Blacks.
Why is it so hard for us to agree that this leadership, governing thing, we suck at it.
Besides, why won’t it be the world against black when we can’t even put our homes in order.

It's not your home, more like your genes.

It's your gene's they don't like.

Get it
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Obioma993: 12:16am On Nov 24, 2020
Is unfortunate dat we still av people like u, people who will never face reality, people who will always make excuses for this wicked and heartless politicians.....
For u to say African leaders are being manipulated by white people just show how dat people like u who claim to be woke think Africans are puppet and we will never be anything without the help of the white man......
Lemme ask u some questions
The covid19 palliatives that were stored in a warehouse for months while people were dying of hunger, who do u blame for dat? The white man right? Am sure in ur delusional mind d white man was d one that manipulated our politicians to keep the palliatives for themselves and use it as birthday gifts.....
Wat abt ASUU going on strike for 8months? D white man is to blame right? They're the ones that also manipulated d govt to abandon education right?
Wat about the SARS n police brutality? The white man are the ones that manipulated our law enforcement agencies to go abt killing innocent citizens, raping women, stealing from youths etc
Wat abt the way our politicians embezzle public funds for their own selfish benefits? The white man is also to be blamed cos to u, u may feel like the white man keep manipulating them to steal and abandon innocent citizens to die in poverty....
Africa needs to wake up and begin to hold these politicians accountable for all this crap, d more u try to blame d white man d more u give these politicians leverage to misbehave n treat is like trash however all those books u keep reading most of the writers haven't even been to Africa so dey keep writing rubbish to fool y'all so dat these politicians will keep manipulating y'all.....
I weep for my country because is obvious people like u will always make these politicians feel they can't be held accountable for their corrupt ways

Ifeoluwav:

Good you found out, let's hope they find out soon. Imagine if we all find out the facts it will speed up things for the better before things get worse than it is already.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Obioma993: 12:25am On Nov 24, 2020
U keep emphasizing on tax which is right but u keep avoiding a question dat have been asked here by someone else, which is
The tax we have been paying all this while wat is it used for? U don't expect me to pay more tax wen I haven't seen any changes for d one's have been paying right? Like how do u expect the people to trust d govt with their hard earn money wen they can't even distribute covid19 palliatives that was meant for the innocent citizens? If u can't make use of 1k how can u make use of 50k? Nigeria politicians care only for their pockets

PhiliptheArab:

Well, such protests fail because when politicans are dependeing on oil money (and before cocoa, cotton, groundnut, beninseed, oil palm, etc money)..and not on direct taxes, it becomes more of how the money is shared rather than how the money is used.

The ENDSARS protest failed for the same reason the first coup failed and the same reason occupy Nigria failed....Nigeria's leadership does not rely on thetaxes its people pay. Even the attempt to raise taxes is more often due to falling revenues from our raw materails, not the need to build a taxable dependent income. The minute oil prices go up....

And because ecnomic developmennt is seen as how we share money , national prtests to reform stuff end up being divided along tribal and reliigous lines as one side sees their share of the 'cake' under threat. (It's what provoked the civl war, the divisions and dissesions in the first republic.)

Also, how many people really protested. The protest was mainly a cities things, and most cities like MKakurdi had a protest for one day, and everyone went home.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 24, 2020
Obioma993:
Is unfortunate dat we still av people like u, people who will never face reality, people who will always make excuses for this wicked and heartless politicians.....
For u to say African leaders are being manipulated by white people just show how dat people like u who claim to be woke think Africans are puppet and we will never be anything without the help of the white man......
The covid19 palliatives that were stored in a warehouse for months while people were dying of hunger, who do u blame for dat? The white man right? Am sure in ur delusional mind d white man was d one that manipulated our politicians to keep the palliatives for themselves and use it as birthday gifts.....
Wat abt ASUU going on strike for 8months? D white man is to blame right? They're the ones that also manipulated d govt to abandon education right?
Wat about the SARS n police brutality? The white man are the ones that manipulated our law enforcement agencies to go abt killing innocent citizens, raping women, stealing from youths etc
Wat abt the way our politicians embezzle public funds for their own selfish benefits? The white man is also to be blamed cos to u, u may feel like the white man keep manipulating them to steal and abandon innocent citizens to die in poverty....
Africa needs to wake up and begin to hold these politicians accountable for all this crap, d more u try to blame d white man d more u give these politicians leverage to misbehave n treat is like trash however all those books u keep reading most of the writers haven't even been to Africa so dey keep writing rubbish to fool y'all so dat these politicians will keep manipulating y'all.....
I weep for my country because is obvious people like u will always make these politicians feel they can't be held accountable for their corrupt ways

soon enough you'll say thunder fire lord luggard for this contraption.

She's not saying the government isn't corrupt, just telling u d White man is neither your friend or has any interest in saving u.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by calcal: 1:56am On Nov 24, 2020
With those Malams you will never have it
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by kingsavage: 2:32am On Nov 24, 2020
ovcwality:
Mtchew undecided
compare am na
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by awapp: 2:35am On Nov 24, 2020
No to worry, Nigeria will have these kinds of road in the year 3450!

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by ovcwality(m): 3:08am On Nov 24, 2020
kingsavage:
compare am na
I was not comparing them, read wetin i write again
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by abbey621(m): 3:19am On Nov 24, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

I mentioned Awolowo for an obvious reason and that was why I limited my argument to the then old western region. My point essentially was that if that particular republic was not truncated or better still if Yoruba nation was independent, there was no way we would have been at this present precarious level. We could have better streets than those ones shown in this thread.

We all hold our personal opinions about those personalities - Tinubu,Obasanjo,Jonathan,etc- you mentioned above and as such,I wouldn't like to dwell much on them. Some people believe that Obasanjo was the best President while some see Tinubu as the father of modern Lagos ! You can't stop them from holding their opinions. It is their right !

If you're saying "it's not a tribe thing,it's a mentality/cultural problem...." This sounds like a contradiction to me. You may care to explain further. I however know that as Africans,we are highly tribal and that influences our politics too. The more reason why each region fared better in the first republic. Awolowo gave his all to his beloved Yoruba people ditto for Azikiwe and Ahmadu Bello. They all served their people ! So what has changed now ? The so called national leaders are actually tribal leaders and that's what has changed !

Do you think Buhari genuinely cares if there are roads or not in Aba or Osogbo ? He is however,very much concerned to have some rail lines laid from Daura to somewhere in Niger republic ! This is because that's where his ethnic fulani are predominant. He wants all the developments for his beloved North ! Is that not what is playing out now ?

I agree with you on the fact that the present crop of politicians,either national or local,are wicked and selfish and that's because the present system supports them. Therefore,if Nigeria is restructured in such a way that each region or geopolitical zone is given a free hand to manage their affairs and to develop at their own pace, there will be faster rate of development definitely and this will positively affect the country as a whole.

Talking about patriotism, nobody, anywhere in the world, is loyal or patriotic to a system in which they feel they are being cheated. We can't shy away from the fact that a lot of people/tribes in Nigeria feel that the current system favours a particular tribe or region at their own expense.

If we must remain together as one people,then true federalism is the only way out. Each region must be allowed to develop at its own pace without any region constituting as clog in the wheel of progress !

You're still not getting it, tribe does not necessarily mean better leadership or better life. Let's take your theory of federalism, are you saying states like Lagos, Oyo and even Ogun cannot give its citizens a better quality of life without increasing federal money?

Let me expose another problem, regional leadership might work for SW but what about SE and SS? Are you seriously saying these people should be comingled or each should have their own region? What of Northerners, we could also divide it into 3 or 4 regions depending on perspectives.

Finally, can you show me a democratic country in the world that operates true federalism. Certainly not USA or any top European country, why is it so? The answer is simple, without a common cuase, a common goal, what's the use of Nigeria? I can use the example of the USA again, California produces the most food items in the USA, should California dictate what happens to the funds of those resources or should it be shared across the entire country? I maintain my stance our poblem is not tribe but mentality, you keep saying we elect regional leaders for national positions but what have our regional leaders (Governors, House of Asembly Reps, LG Chaiman etc) done for their regions?

What guarantee do you have that once given absolute control over their resources, the regional leaders would choose patriotism over fat bank accounts?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by tsdarkside(m): 3:59am On Nov 24, 2020
Aconomist:
Paul Kagame banned hawking in Kigali. That's the main reason why the city is so much cleaner than West African cities. Street Hawking must be banned.

and then what....??

you prefer everywhere homeless people....??
many rely on this hawking to start something small....

with a population that big like nigeria i dont think its a good idea to ban it completly....
what you can do is regulate it....
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by negbike(f): 4:39am On Nov 24, 2020
Because people with streets like these pay taxes and hold their government accountable.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by JesusDWay(m): 5:23am On Nov 24, 2020
Most largely due to leadership problems but, the people themselves are a huge part of the problem. Imagine the Lagos -Ibadan railway line, people are already stealing the bolts and nuts, how will infrastructures get to last like that?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by McTominay(m): 6:59am On Nov 24, 2020
tsdarkside:

that is no excuse....

Well na so we go continue, we can't change anything again in 3 generations to come.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Raydos: 7:21am On Nov 24, 2020
Aconomist:
The problem in Nigeria is our low tax to GDP of just 6% compared to 14% in Ghana and 28% in South Africa. If Nigeria collected as much tax as Ghana, we would have an annual government tax revenue of $56 billion per year compared to the current $13 billion reported in 2019.

Nigerians love to complain about corruption and mismanagement, but Nigeria's budget is smaller than the budget of a single city in the United States.
Yes, one American city generates more tax revenue than the entire country of Nigeria. That's the main reason why things look so horrible. According to the World Bank, a country will never develop until its tax to GDP ratio hits 15%.

If we don't dramatically increase tax revenue, the country will explode. The government also needs to dramatically cut budgets and salaries to redirect funds to infrastructure.

Solutions

1. We need a massive property tax in cities like Abuja and Lagos. 1% of your property value goes to tax every single year for an infrastructure fund that is directed to road construction and infrastructure in the LGA. Everything must be audited and published online.

2. We need a massive luxury tax of 10% on all plane tickets sold in Nigeria -- the tax jumped to 25% on first class ticket because no black monkey deserves to fly first class while his country looks like a zoo. Learn your place.

3. We need to decentralize an regionalize government. Hausa/Fulani leadership is the main reason why Nigeria is lagging behind its peers like Ghana and the Bantu countries in terms of development. Every region should be responsible for collecting its own taxes and developing its own industries.

And you think a typical Nigerian politicians think like you?? Even if they eventually start taxing people, I bet 90% of it all be looted

This people's brain can't think of anything else aside from Looting public funds

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:24am On Nov 24, 2020
Raydos:

And you think a typical Nigerian politicians think like you?? Even if they eventually start taxing people, I bet 90% of it all be looted

This people's brain can't think of anything else aside from Looting public funds
100...money is not the problem, but corruption.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Raydos: 7:25am On Nov 24, 2020
Aconomist:

That's just like trying to cure Headache by cutting your head off!! It won't solve your problem, it will only create more mess

If Government can invest in poverty alleviation programme, and try to reduce poverty in Nigeria by at least 70%, I bet hawking become story of the past in no time!!

How many times have you seen Rich people's kids hawking?? You can't see them cos they're well off!!

High poverty rate leads to hawking, I don't blame this people at all, they're just trying to survive in a country that never works!!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by noah24(m): 7:56am On Nov 24, 2020
Even if we have dis kinda streets in naija.... Some lagosians will still mess it up...
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifeoluwav(f): 8:25am On Nov 24, 2020
Obioma993:

You don't get it yet, read my posts again.

Do you think the people that shipped themselves to Australia killed the natives took over their land, shipped themselves to North America did the same, shipped them selves to South America did similar, shipped them selves to South Africa did similar, came to Africa enslaved African Ancestors to build for them, came back later to colonize the same Africans, joined tribes together so that they will keep fighting each other. Did they get any retribution for all these? Did they apologize? ask yourselve how where they able to do all these?
Do you think they have repented or they are still cooking up something cunningly??

Now look at police brutality around the globe it is against which race? Have there been justice so far? Why is it so difficult to end police brutality around the globe when it is about human life? It is the same struggle for black people everywhere.
Africans don't get they are also facing the effect of racism around the globe because they live in countries mostly dominated by black people.
If you don't get it at this point, no more explanation, do your research.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by wiggle: 8:44am On Nov 24, 2020
Glaswegian:
One thing that surprises me when I travel abroad, especially in the UK, is how those very big buses manoeuvre in these small streets.
It's because of orderliness the buses are able to manoeuvre.. No jumping queues in traffic, no honking, no tauts drivers on the road.

It shows where there's order life is much easier.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifeoluwav(f): 8:59am On Nov 24, 2020
This was said by the former president of France

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

American Wife Shows The Living Condition With Her Nigerian Husband To Her Family / Anna Turaeva: Russian Female Powerlifter Asked To Prove Gender At Airport / Which Country To Migrate To With N4 Million?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.