Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,247 members, 7,957,593 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:27 PM

UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' (52386 Views)

Uk Parliament Condemns Killing Of #endsars Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate / Senator Ajibola Basiru: My Aides Stole Money From My Room During Vacation / Thieves Stole Money In Senator’s Car, Says Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 7:40pm On Nov 24, 2020
He must have got his information from IPOB .

Gen Gowon was famously incorruptible.

Nigeria's most honest, Patriotic and best leader ever.

https://www.nytimes.com/1975/07/30/archives/gowon-is-calm-as-he-learns-of-his-ouster-at-parley-in-uganda.html

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 7:43pm On Nov 24, 2020
teadrake:

I think for the young MP to have made such a bold statement knowing full well who General Gowon is and how respected he is, I think he wasn't just talking for speaking sake. He has the fact. However, he (MP) won't feel comfortable sharing it since the subject matter wasn't about General Gowon. Trust me Sir, those guys have undeniable evidence against Nigerian politician. Should they start to be rolling them out, this country will be inflamed!!

He must have got it from the Igbos Misinformation and Slander Campaign. Didn't they say Tinubu owned the Lekki Toll gate and had run away to France.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by DonCandido(f): 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2020
falopey:

Your brain needs reset for typing this trash. A man spent 9 years in power. An absolute ruler. Ruling when there was war instability in the country. A perfect situation good enough to steal money in the name of procuring weapons and no one would dare ask him a question. You opened your mouth and said Gowon CANNOT stole. Are you high? Is Gowon an angel? All past Nigerian leaders are thieves.

Let Gowon stand up to the allegation if he is man enough. UK government will expose more his skeleton

You are a total disgrace to your race.

A person is accused of a crime without evidence and a retard like you jumps on the popular bandwagon to condemn an innocent man without evidence but mere suspicion and suppositions by an unknown personage?.

Did you idiot ever stopped to wonder or ask the critical question: What evidence is this man's statement based on? Is there a report from an investigation anywhere? Did he investigate Gowon and has a secret trove of evidence known to only him? How old was this irresponsible parliamentarian 46 years ago when Gowon was removed? Based on age alone, he cannot have facts to support the clear smear campaign.

Dumb f##k, whenever anyone makes a general statement, it is very important to ask for evidence to back it up. It is the difference between what is called "wisdom" and "idiocy"

Effing cow!

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Neddstark: 7:52pm On Nov 24, 2020
Baawahala:

Hahaha...I don't think in the next 10 years,you can make half of my fortunes...!
Keep suffering, be calling it hussle...
Mental slavery is your problem...

You don't know me but you believe you are richer than me. Can you bet on your life's existence your thoughts above? If you do, i will take you seriously.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by effido666: 8:00pm On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Ask Gowon.
So wat are they waiting for to jail him
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by GoodofNaija: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

WHAT ABOUT THE TRILLIONS THE BRITISH STOLE FROM 1897 TO 1960?

WHY WAS NIGERIA STILL AN ''UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY'' WITH NO POWER STATIONS, UNIVERSITIES, OR EXPRESSWAYS, AND AN ILLITERACY RATE OF 95% IN 1960 AT INDEPENDENCE, AFTER 70 YEARS OF UNINTERRUPTED BRITISH RULE?

WHAT DID THE BRITISH DO WITH THE TRILLIONS THEY MADE FROM EXPORTING OUR NATURAL RESOURCES?

WHO ARE THEY TO TALK ABOUT NIGERIAN CORRUPTION WHEN THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL THIEVES AND LOOTERS WHO HAVE STILL NOT RETURNED A PENNY THEY STOLE?

Borrow small sense na!

They stole from you to build their country and their country is now a developed country.

Your leaders are also stealing from you to take to their country, yet you are still castigating them for helping to expose your leaders who have made your country underdeveloped.

You need to grow up o!
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Tedpgrass: 9:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Nigerian leaders start looting the day they enter office. He knew his days were numbered after he took over power in a coup. He saw what was happening in neighbouring African countries were leaders were getting assasinated.

He had to save for the rainy day by keeping 50% of our money in United Kingdom and making himself the sole signatory to the accounts.

Is there proof of this assertion??

So much fakenews everywhere

If Trump could be sprouting fakenews everyday, no western government nor media can be trusted..

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Tedpgrass: 9:17pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

WHAT ABOUT THE TRILLIONS THE BRITISH STOLE FROM 1897 TO 1960?

WHY WAS NIGERIA STILL AN ''UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY'' WITH NO POWER STATIONS, UNIVERSITIES, OR EXPRESSWAYS, AND AN ILLITERACY RATE OF 95% IN 1960 AT INDEPENDENCE, AFTER 70 YEARS OF UNINTERRUPTED BRITISH RULE?

WHAT DID THE BRITISH DO WITH THE TRILLIONS THEY MADE FROM EXPORTING OUR NATURAL RESOURCES?

WHO ARE THEY TO TALK ABOUT NIGERIAN CORRUPTION WHEN THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL THIEVES AND LOOTERS WHO HAVE STILL NOT RETURNED A PENNY THEY STOLE?

Please leave them to their imaginations....

The West who go around for economies to ravage and plunder... all under the pretext of imposing democracy

As much as the looting must be stopped, the West can't come to this current table demanding change, with clean hands..

They have been enablers of the wanton looting - both formal and informal- for decades,
creating unfavorable economic policies which further disable ailing governments whilst providing ready mercenaries with unrepentant war-tools merchandising.

An organic malignant neo-colonialism tool....

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

You don't know me but you believe you are richer than me. Can you bet on your life's existence your thoughts above? If you do, i will take you seriously.
I don't need to know you,someone with your IQ is struggling...
To think that it is only the poor or the middle class that are oppressed!, goes a long way to define your level in life.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Neddstark: 10:57pm On Nov 24, 2020
Baawahala:

I don't need to know you,someone with your IQ is struggling...
To think that it is only the poor or the middle class that are oppressed!, goes a long way to define your level in life.

Ok
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by poseidon12: 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2020
simple250:
And where is the money?

You should direct the question to Gowon the thief.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 11:50pm On Nov 24, 2020
General Gowon was incorruptible and Nigeria's best Leader Economy boomed under him. He was not in the Country when overthrown and in exile he lived in a friend's house in London before being a student at the University of Warwick

https://nytimes.com/1975/07/30/archives/gowon-is-calm-as-he-learns-of-his-ouster-at-parley-in-uganda.html https://pic.twitter.com/ioVbcIgHTa
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 11:50pm On Nov 24, 2020
teadrake:

I think for the young MP to have made such a bold statement knowing full well who General Gowon is and how respected he is, I think he wasn't just talking for speaking sake. He has the fact. However, he (MP) won't feel comfortable sharing it since the subject matter wasn't about General Gowon. Trust me Sir, those guys have undeniable evidence against Nigerian politician. Should they start to be rolling them out, this country will be inflamed!!
General Gowon was incorruptible and Nigeria's best Leader Economy boomed under him. He was not in the Country when overthrown and in exile he lived in a friend's house in London before being a student at the University of Warwick

https://nytimes.com/1975/07/30/archives/gowon-is-calm-as-he-learns-of-his-ouster-at-parley-in-uganda.html https://pic.twitter.com/ioVbcIgHTa

It is IPOB fake news propaganda the MP has no idea who Gen Gowon is.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by poseidon12: 12:03am On Nov 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

I will take you serious if Gowon sues the MP and wins. If Gowon is truly incorruptible, then he should sue to clear his name.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 12:34am On Nov 25, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by FDjanjaweed: 2:07am On Nov 25, 2020
Neddstark:

This was a verbal assertion from a young MP. Please I am not arguing or defending nobody. Adesina was accused of non-transparency in his first term as president of AFDB by the West but was cleared. GEJ was accused of preventing the rescue of the Chibok girls by the UK media but he gave his defense. Gowon was never a saint, but an allegation of that magnitude needs ample proof sir.
Why not allow General Gowon to defend himself .
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by kabillionaire(m): 3:55am On Nov 25, 2020
and he was organising prayers up and down the country without restitution. no wonder god is not answering.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by sakssey23: 6:35am On Nov 25, 2020
[quote author=RuudVanNisteroy post=96373668]

Gowon was Head of State from 1966-1975(9 years). Do you think he would he have waited until he was toppled in a coup before he started looting.

IBB was President from 1985-1993 and he reportedly stole over $10 billion dollars. And Abacha didn't request for it because he had plans to loot his own billions.

Absulami Abubakar was Head of State for 9 months and emptied the Central Bank of billions of dollars and OBJ didn't request any back because he planned to loot his own billions.

[/quote

It's just merry go round. They one carry Jonathan return back again and the gullible Nigerian youths go say make we manage am like that.

People make una wake up oo... 60 years no constant light abi power...
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by 9jaRealist: 9:52am On Nov 25, 2020
>
These sort of throwaway comments (which in reality is subtlety directed against Nigerians in general, rather a specific individual) merely serves to lend heat without light. sad

I do not presume to hold brief for Mr. Gowon (who served before my time), but historical records show that he was/is the first/only Nigerian leader who could not afford to build a personal house for himself. His first house in Nigeria (in Jos) was built by the government of General Babangida in 1986/87, about 12 years after Gowon left power, following the grant of a pardon to Gowon and his subsequent return to Nigeria. The land on which the house was built was not even owned by General Gowon but rather was donated to the Nigerian government for the house to be built by Dr. Fom Bot, who was at that time the Gbong Gwom (traditional ruler) of Jos.

Furthermore, General Gowon DID NOT EVEN OWN A HOUSE IN LONDON in all of the over a decade’s period (about 12 years from 1975 to 1986/87) that Gowon lived in exile in the UK. First, immediately upon his overthrow, he squatted with an IBOMAN (and this a mere 5 years after the Biafra War) Emmanuel Oti (father of former England international rugby player Chris Oti). From there, he moved into graduate/married students’ accommodation at Warwick University (where he was studying, subsequently up to his PhD), until the Nigerian government decided that it was unbecoming of an ex-Nigerian head of state and arranged more “suitable” accommodations.

Gowon’s wife Victoria initially had to work for a while in the UK to help support the family, and therefore one finds any notion that General Gowon escaped “with half of the Central Bank of Nigeria” incredulously unbelievable!
>
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BreconHills(m): 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2020
onyechez:

Do you know that UK mp can be sued by gowon or the family by false allegation on wrong doing to the Nigerian people and bad reputation to the gowon family. You do know the consequences to that.

No one can be sued for statements made by an MP in Parliament because such statements are privileged.

Also when has the possibility of a court suit stopped people saying patent untruths?

Please
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BreconHills(m): 12:17pm On Nov 25, 2020
ibietela2:

He was overthrown after 9yrs o not 9hrs

Very true but at £1 = 80k exchange rates and with Nigeria massively stocked up in Gold reserves the idea of a man with those holdings driving a passat in London is ridiculous.

Such a man at those exchange rates and with half of the entire CBN would be one of the richest men in the world.

I know the year is coming to an end but let's not switch off yet.

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BreconHills(m): 12:21pm On Nov 25, 2020
ibietela2:

He was overthrown after 9yrs o not 9hrs

Very true but at £1 = 80k exchange rates and with Nigeria massively stocked up in Gold reserves the idea of a man with those holdings driving a passat in London is ridiculous.

Such a man at those exchange rates and with half of the entire CBN would be one of the richest men in the world.

I know the year is coming to an end but let's not switch off yet.

Here is a bit more from commonly reported news

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BreconHills(m): 12:36pm On Nov 25, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

cc: BreconHills and naptu2. See this

@naptu2

There are a lot of revisionists in this country and sadly with history no longer being taught in schools, everyone has their own truth.

But I know as a fact as a 15 year old whose dad was what people called " a super permsec" that Gowon did not steal any such money (ps: these so called super persecution were ordinary men but at the beginning of Gowons admin he was leery of politicians so he leaned extensively on the civil service hence the nomenclature now assuming some mystical or even sinister meaning.

The only weird thing he did do was attend SMC meetings with a huge pile of books which he would carry and arrange himself. Of course he did go on to get some very good degrees and so satisfy those academic urges lol.

Seriously though, If Gowon stole money from the Nigerian CBN at those £/Naira FX rates including the very heavy portion of gold reserves we had then, he would have been one of the worlds wealthiest men and he would not have struggled to put together a campaign on his then somewhat ill advised political campaign.

But what can one do? People still believe Elvis is still alive. But they must be resisted from revising history via the mouthpiece of a misinformed MP with H of Commons privilege.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by 9jaRealist: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2020
poseidon12:
I will take you serious if Gowon sues the MP and wins. If Gowon is truly incorruptible, then he should sue to clear his name.

Dude, UK Parliamentarians have parliamentary immunity.
You cannot sue an MP for anything they say in Parliament!
>
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by 9jaRealist: 1:32pm On Nov 25, 2020
BreconHills:

@naptu2

There are a lot of revisionists in this country and sadly with history no longer being taught in schools, everyone has their own truth.

But I know as a fact as a 15 year old whose dad was what people called " a super permsec" that Gowon did not steal any such money (ps: these so called super persecution were ordinary men but at the beginning of Gowons admin he was leery of politicians so he leaned extensively on the civil service hence the nomenclature now assuming some mystical or even sinister meaning.

The only weird thing he did do was attend SMC meetings with a huge pile of books which he would carry and arrange himself. Of course he did go on to get some very good degrees and so satisfy those academic urges lol.

Seriously though, If Gowon stole money from the Nigerian CBN at those £/Naira FX rates including the very heavy portion of gold reserves we had then, he would have been one of the worlds wealthiest men and he would not have struggled to put together a campaign on his then somewhat ill advised political campaign.

But what can one do? People still believe Elvis is still alive. But they must be resisted from revising history via the mouthpiece of a misinformed MP with H of Commons privilege.

Bless you!

The mindset at work here is Nigerian automatically equals corruption (or criminal).
What those Nigerians supporting the ignorant statement fail to understand it that it’s meant to apply to them as well.
>

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by 9jaRealist: 1:38pm On Nov 25, 2020
FDjanjaweed:
Why not allow General Gowon to defend himself .

I would not be surprised if he didn’t bother.
Gowon is a truly humble man who doesn’t court controversy, but rest assured many will eagerly defend him. He’s well worth defending!
>
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by CID11: 2:24pm On Nov 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

It is IPOB fake news propaganda the MP has no idea who Gen Gowon is.
Keep on deceiving yourself. These guys have evidence. If they roll them out, believe me you will be shocked. It's a parliament not a court. Keep your opinion to yourself
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Maximar: 2:59pm On Nov 25, 2020
ednut1:
Gowon was overthrown while at AU meeting. How did he then move the money to London We all know he stole but can this man's account be accurate. The west are enablers of corruptions but still come out latter to talk shit lmao grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGF3HwSMrc

Exactly my thoughts
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Liposure: 5:25pm On Nov 25, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Gowon was Head of State from 1966-1975(9 years). Do you think he would he have waited until he was toppled in a coup before he started looting.

IBB was President from 1985-1993 and he reportedly stole over $10 billion dollars. And Abacha didn't request for it because he had plans to loot his own billions.

Absulami Abubakar was Head of State for 9 months and emptied the Central Bank of billions of dollars and OBJ didn't request any back because he planned to loot his own billions.

all allegations
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Christistruth00: 7:18pm On Nov 25, 2020
CID11:

Keep on deceiving yourself. These guys have evidence. If they roll them out, believe me you will be shocked. It's a parliament not a court. Keep your opinion to yourself

Supply the evidence if it is not HATE fake news

General Gowon was the most honest and Patriotic leader Nigeria ever had.

https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/1074758

There have been attempts to discredit

Gowon before they all failed miserably.

MCDERMID: "GENERAL GOWON HOW DO YOU FEEL IN THIS MOMENT OF TRIUMPH."?

GOWON: "WELL IT'S NOT A TRIUMPH FOR ONE'S SELF. I THINK IT IS A TRIUMPH FOR REASON AND COMMON SENSE OVER MADNESS AND AMBITION. IT IS A VICTORY OVER AN IDEA OF SECESSION AND THIS TO ME IS A REAL FEELING. AND I FEEL HAPPY FOR THE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOW BEEN SAVED THE TORTURE OF DEATH, STARVATION AND HUNGER BECAUSE OF ONE MAN'S INORDINATE AMBITION, ONE MAN THAT FOR NO JUST CAUSE WHATSOEVER THE WORLD SEEMED TO UPHOLD WITH SUCH FAVOUR. I DON'T KNOW WHY. BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT I'M HAPPY FOR THE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT NOW HAVE BEEN SAVED.

MCDERMID: "IF YOU HAD BEEN IN OJUKWU'S SHOES HOW WOULD YOU HAVE ACTED. WOULD YOU HAVE GIVEN LONG AGO"?

GOWON: "OJUWUKU WAS NOT AN HONEST MAN. IF I WERE, IF HE HAD BEEN PROPERLY EDUCATED AS A PROPER SOLDIER HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. AND I THINK OJUWUKU WAS JUST USING THE STARVATION AND HUNGER AS A POLITICAL WEAPON JUST IN ORDER TO GET POLITICAL VICTORY AND DIPLOMATIC RECOGNITION.

MCDERMID: "WERE YOU SURPRISED BY THE SUDDEN COLLAPSE?"

GOWON: "I KNEW THAT THE WAR WOULD FINISH SOONER OR LATER: I'VE SAID IT SEVERAL TIMES AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE EVEN MADE SOME KIND OF STATEMENT ABOUT MY HOPE THAT THE WAR WOULD END VERY SOON AND IT NEVER ENDED. THEY USED TO QUOTE ME THAT I SAID IN FACT IT WOULD END ON 31 MARCH 1969 AND THEY KNEW THE WAR WOULD NEVER FINISH AND OF COURSE THEY TRIED TO RIDICULE WHAT I SAID. OF COURSE I KNOW MY MEN; I KNOW THEIR TEMPER; I KNOW THEIR DISCIPLINE: I KNOW THEIR AFFECTIVENESS AND I KNEW THAT THEY WOULD FINISH THE WAR SOONER OR LATER.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by favor914: 10:21pm On Nov 25, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story
Of course we know Biafra won the war, Ojukwu just went on a righteous self exile?
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by favor914: 10:29pm On Nov 25, 2020
CID11:

Useless animal evidence of something that happened when your mother was still going through puberty? Mumu, even if it is true, how has that stopped you from been a model citizen? Bad upbringing from a dysfunctional family?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Hardship: Protesters Block Major Road Leading To Abuja(video) / PDP Vs APC:See The Hilarious Adverts That Have Got Everyone Talking(Photos) / Fayose Reacts To The Release Of The 21 Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.