Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' (51414 Views)

Uk Parliament Condemns Killing Of #endsars Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate / Senator Ajibola Basiru: My Aides Stole Money From My Room During Vacation / Thieves Stole Money In Senator’s Car, Says Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

Dude, that is the OFFICIAL story, which is very different from the truth.

I would like some evidence of the true story then...
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 24, 2020
BreconHills:

He did say that in the 70's because Nigeria was awash with cash. We hosted the All Africa games, literally doubled civil servant pay via the Udoji awards and built most of the infrastructure that we have now

IT IS A LIE THAT HE TOOK HALF OF THD CBN YO LONDON WITH HIM!

Two simple reasons
1. He was overthrown in a surprise coup ( I was in form 5) so how could he have taken money when the murtala coup occurred while he was outside the country in for an OAU meeting.

2. It is even a fact that Murtala Muhammed had to order for money to be sent to him because it was not befitting for a former head of state to be queuing up for food at Warwick University

I dont know where this big lie originated from ( I have my suspicions) but it is curious piece of revisionism

The English MP's who rely on information from Nigeria have to know that when some Nigerians want to make their point, they can bend the truth to achieve their purpose knowing that Nigerians believe anything that suits their prejudice.
Do you know that UK mp can be sued by gowon or the family by false allegation on wrong doing to the Nigerian people and bad reputation to the gowon family. You do know the consequences to that.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by uncleinans(m): 2:23pm On Nov 24, 2020
GreyLaw:

Are you a kid? How old are you, please? Which civil war was fought with bow and sticks? It is offensive to read some of the things you people post here. A war from 1967-1970 was fought with bow and sticks?

Oh me! There were guns! There were airports then! Nigeria had a good military which was equipped by Britain. Then Nigeria cut off food supply channels so many of the Biafran people died from starvation and hunger.

Go. And. Read!!!

Compare the weapons used to fight Nigeria civil war with the weapons been used in today's war going on around the world and tell me if you won't refer to those weapons as sticks and sleepers. Syria war that's almost 10 years old now didn't record that huge number with Assad cutting supplies and more advanced weapons and chemical weapons also been used with precision in hitting target, nothing like 2milliom death sef.

Nigeria military of today that cannot even stand Niger Delta militants and bolo haram is what you refer to as Nigeria had good military? My brother/sister, chill.......

Looking at the time frame, the weapons used, the population density of the country at the time and other fact, no way the war would have recorded such numbers of death.

Just so you know, History is a set of lies told to younger generation. You can believe what ever you want.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by DAVE5(m): 2:26pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

You forgot the British rulers before them. Lord Lugard, Lord McPherson, Lord bla bla bla.

Don't omit them from "Nigeria's history", otherwise you're a dishonest little crook.

Otherwise I’m a crook?

please go through history and check for my name where I stole from cbn sir

Learn to criticize constructively sir

So does Britain stealing from us mean our own in-house thieves should not be called out

I was very careful when penning down those names so I won’t be called a tribal bigot so you still found a way to make me feel I’m somehow a bad person cos I didn’t mention the whites?

You can add their names too if it pleases, they stole from us too
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by tonididdy(m): 2:26pm On Nov 24, 2020
Even in my comfort, I still weep for this nation.

A generation has to be wiped for a new generation of a new Nigeria to be born, it's the only way.

Are we ready for this great sacrifice?
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by LordOfTheGame: 2:33pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

It is members of your family that are ignorant stupid idiots.

E pain you oooh, mmeeeh . grin
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by citizenY(m): 2:41pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

I am not defending any politician. They are the cause of Nigeria's problem. But however, I am of the opinion that every allegation should be backed up with proof/facts.

Listen to the video clip again. He clearly stated ... SO IT IS SAID.... meaning that ir could be mere hearsay.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Neddstark: 2:45pm On Nov 24, 2020
LordOfTheGame:

E pain you oooh, mmeeeh . grin

Take it to the bank.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Neddstark: 2:47pm On Nov 24, 2020
citizenY:

Listen to the video clip again. He clearly stated ... SO IT IS SAID.... meaning that ir could be mere hearsay.

Yeah and that hearsay has sparked up an outrage online and brought a great dent to Gowon's image. We know he was no saint. He obviously looted too but one thing I like about Gowon is his neutrality in Nigerian politics and his elder statesmanship.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Muna4real(f): 2:56pm On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Gowon-Took 50% of the Central Bank
IBB- Took 60% of the Central Bank
Abacha- Took 70% of the Central Bank
Abdusalami: Took 90% of the Central Bank and left OBJ with nothing in the coffers.
Buhari- I wonder how much Buhari has taken

No nah, buhari is not corrupt. He can't steal anything even if it's 100 naira grin

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Strugglingman: 3:11pm On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story

Bro they don't have any prove
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by 8stargeneral: 3:12pm On Nov 24, 2020
DAVE5:

Nigeria should have been a land of milk, honey and gold

Dubai for dey learn work for our hand but no, we have thieves all over the place

I dey tell u bro...wicked people.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Strugglingman: 3:12pm On Nov 24, 2020
NwaNimo1:
Not surprised

Funny how Nigerians will believe any thing that comes out of the mouth of a white man

Wheres the prove bro.?
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by glozyyy(m): 3:15pm On Nov 24, 2020
Ok why is it that the UK knowing fully well that this this are stolen funds why don't they expose him since then, now they want to claim to be doing good now by telling us this trash. I put it to you that the UK is a bigger partners to the corruption that's taking place in Nigeria over the Inseption of this country. May God save us from our frienemies
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by juman(m): 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
Gowon - Oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

Donkey, the British built railroads that boosted internal trade, plus massive factories, in the US, not to mention mass education, and invested heavily in power plants and education in India. They built universities and engineering institutes across India and the US. The university of Calcutta was established by them in 1857.

Then the university of Mumbai was built the same year, followed by others in quick succession. None of this was done in Nigeria or black Africa.

WE had to start from ZERO in the 1960s.

I mean, your ignorance stinks to high heavens.

Lol. Same British built the rails and powered major cities in Nigeria. It can also be argued that UI and Yabatech was established by the British. So your argument of zero in the 1960s is a common lie.
Besides, the British spent more years in India than Nigeria so can't really say Nigeria was more exploited than India. That's a big lie.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by juman(m): 4:09pm On Nov 24, 2020
Let wait for his response on the issue of stolen wealth.

Gowon they painted as saint.

Nigerian generals are thieves.
Oloriburuku oleeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Olabamiji509: 4:32pm On Nov 24, 2020
Abeg musa yar'adua is not nigeria problem oo.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BafanaBafana: 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2020
Angelfrost:

You are not even close to the reader that I am... So, don't even go there!!!

Who wrote those things??! God or angels??!...

Leave matter!!! I stand by my statements... If we have had honest and transparent leaders, even for just 4 years, the transformation of this nation especially her economy will not only be amazing but reverberate for decades.

The nation has declined economically since 1960, and you all are here trying to make cases for statesmen you adore, while the truth stares you right in the eye.
Gowon was stark broke when he left power!
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 24, 2020
The first thing you should always ask for in life is:”Proof”. Evidence.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Greenback: 5:09pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coneheaded structures don't know this....but they know every details about diezani madueke,ngozi okonjo,nnamdi kanu,gej,pej.......
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by April4th(m): 5:34pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:
Gowon was removed from power in a coup while he was in Uganda. What time did he have to loot half of the central bank and come to London after his coup? Why didnt the government of Muritala request the funds transferred to London. There is no way that money that huge will leave the shores of Nigeria and not be noticed by the succeeding government. Also, he came back to Nigeria and nothing was done about it.
I am not defending nobody. This UK parliament man was probably a child when this thing happened. We need strong proof to verify this actually happened. Verbal assertions is not enough. We were sure of what Obasanjo did. We had proof of what Abacha did. So let the proofs come out.

Bros nobody has proof of what Abacha stole o.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BigBashiru: 5:59pm On Nov 24, 2020
oluwadabira111:
You mean half of the central bank? Mtcheew! UK sef should expose themselve na,how much have they stolen from us 1960 till date,hypocrite set of people.

The United Kingdom has stolen nothing from "us" since 1960.... and there is no "us" in Nigeria it's just me me me....

Moreover you think too much of Nigeria's resources.... the Nigeria isn't the only country that has the mineral resources the UK needs...
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by mechanics(m): 6:33pm On Nov 24, 2020
Hmmmm.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:
Gowon was removed from power in a coup while he was in Uganda. What time did he have to loot half of the central bank and come to London after his coup? Why didnt the government of Muritala request the funds transferred to London. There is no way that money that huge will leave the shores of Nigeria and not be noticed by the succeeding government. Also, he came back to Nigeria and nothing was done about it.
I am not defending nobody. This UK parliament man was probably a child when this thing happened. We need strong proof to verify this actually happened. Verbal assertions is not enough. We were sure of what Obasanjo did. We had proof of what Abacha did. So let the proofs come out.
defenders of their oppressors!
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 24, 2020
Difrent:

Don't be so perssimistic ,NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN.....I used to tell people ,a bad situation cannot continue forever ,the situation will change one day afterall those who want to continue milking the country dry won't live forever .
they won't live forever,but they are nurturing their descendants with these ideologies to continue from where they stopped.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Neddstark: 6:44pm On Nov 24, 2020
Baawahala:
defenders of their oppressors!

Who dey oppress you. If you like, no go hustle.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

This was a verbal assertion from a young MP. Please I am not arguing or defending nobody. Adesina was accused of non-transparency in his first term as president of AFDB by the West but was cleared. GEJ was accused of preventing the rescue of the Chibok girls by the UK media but he gave his defense. Gowon was never a saint, but an allegation of that magnitude needs ample proof sir.
He can't possibly lay such accusations if there is no trace of evidence, he knows he can be sued of character assassination... Let's stop this grammar abeg,this is not new to us,these guys are merciless when it comes to stealing peoples destiny..
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

Who dey oppress you. If you like, no go hustle.
Hahaha...I don't think in the next 10 years,you can make half of my fortunes...!
Keep suffering, be calling it hussle...
Mental slavery is your problem...
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Goel: 7:13pm On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

Donkey, the British built railroads that boosted internal trade, plus massive factories, in the US, not to mention mass education, and invested heavily in power plants and education in India. They built universities and engineering institutes across India and the US. The university of Calcutta was established by them in 1857.

Then the university of Mumbai was built the same year, followed by others in quick succession. None of this was done in Nigeria or black Africa.

WE had to start from ZERO in the 1960s.

I mean, your ignorance stinks to high heavens.
Most of India's modern institutions responsible for SciTech in India today were built after independence. British built universities are only known "humanities" subjects and hosting communist movements in India.

"British brought tech to India" is a completely bullshit if you compare inventions and as well as tech accessibility in India before and independence. Trains weren't some sort of alien technology that was a big deal even in early 20th century.

British got benefited from India and not vice versa. Indian forces acted as self funded killing machines taking over entire middle east. Soon as India got independence, Britain stopped being a major power and eventually fell into irrelevancy.

India was almost zero if not zero in 1947. And we even suffered more because US & UK were directly hostile to us till 80s. We had world's largest hungry population, no money, had two hostile neighbors (China and Pakistan) and over that US, UK & Soviet Union were after India's Kashmir. It was a nightmare. Things are better a million times now and hopefully keep improving.

And no, British didn't built any "massive" infrastructure in India. They just built a couple of routes for their transports most of which are closed now.

India built world's second largest road network and fourth largest train network after independence.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by themanderon: 7:21pm On Nov 24, 2020
Just imagine. We only get to hear about the abacha loot which off cause must have been re looted because the man abacha died. Imagine the loot that is still in the possession of these former living presidents. Yet they tell you there is no money and tax the citizens to death to sustain their wealth.
I have always maintained that we have never had any patriotic President since the inception of this country.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by DonCandido(f): 7:22pm On Nov 24, 2020
falopey:

Your brain needs reset for typing this trash. A man spent 9 years in power. An absolute ruler. Ruling when there was war instability in the country. A perfect situation good enough to steal money in the name of procuring weapons and no one would dare ask him a question. You opened your mouth and said Gowon CANNOT stole. Are you high? Is Gowon an angel? All past Nigerian leaders are thieves.

Let Gowon stand up to the allegation if he is man enough. UK government will expose more his skeleton

Typical class "A" idiot's response to a simple and logical question.

It is so annoying that Nigeria is home to many resident fools like you who swallow anything they hear hook line and sinker once it from a white dunce. Do you have any brains at all? Do you know what it is used for? Did you call it in aid when you typed that nonsense up there?

Where is the evidence that Gowon stole half of the central bank? Is it possible to steal that much from an economy and it will not collapse? Gowon left Naira so strong at almost 1 to 2 Guineas. How old are you self?

A person who stole half of the central bank more than 50 years ago should be richer than Jeff Bezos right now!

Tired of reading opinions of irritating mongrels with zero brains polluting social media with dumb and irrational arguments.

Dumbo dumbo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Fayose Writes Open Letter To Bola Tinubu / INEC Suspends The Announcement Of Results In Akpabio's Senatorial District / #BiafraRemembranceDay: Enugu, Asaba, Anambra Completely Locked Down (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.