Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' (51437 Views)

Uk Parliament Condemns Killing Of #endsars Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate / Senator Ajibola Basiru: My Aides Stole Money From My Room During Vacation / Thieves Stole Money In Senator’s Car, Says Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Risentouch(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2020
They should look into it asap

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by udemzyudex(m): 10:07am On Nov 24, 2020
ednut1:
Gowon was overthrown while at AU meeting. how did he then move the money to London we all know he stole but can this man's account be accurate. The west are enablers of corruptions but still come out latter to talk shit lmao grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGF3HwSMrc

Very stupid question i must say, does it takes a full tenure for a government official to still money?

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by hollywater: 10:07am On Nov 24, 2020
defcon4:
Nigeria is cursed and the curse goes thus... All those born pre Civil war must die for Nigeria to rise. A generation must die for the blood it has shed.
Seconded
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:07am On Nov 24, 2020
RealityShot:
don't worry when that man (presidente) dies, you will see proof.

The guy is still the president of Nigeria, from underground.... Lolzzzz

Their boys dey
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by hollywater: 10:08am On Nov 24, 2020
simple250:
And where is the money?

Ask Dangote. I am in my house let them come and catch me.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:09am On Nov 24, 2020
Eriokanmi:
Na abdulsalaam steal pass. North is the problem of this country. Only God knows how much buhari takes to London each time he goes on his fake medical trip. I wish our law makers from the entire south could move for a referendum inclusion in the coming constitutional review so everyone could go their separate ways . Same constitution was written by the likes if abdulsalaam abubakar and his cohorts to enable them have their ways.

Southern leaders won't have sense, that's why am happy the Endsars shooting happened in Lagos
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by GoodGovernance: 10:10am On Nov 24, 2020
Gowon moved Nigerian money to UK and he was accommodated.

UK too is a thief!

Thieves talking about corruption.

#UKBringBackOurLootedFunds
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:11am On Nov 24, 2020
BreconHills:

Huge lie
How could a man who was deposed on a surprise coup while in a OAU meeting in East Africa have carried half of the CBN funds to London. The same man that the new government of MM had to send money so that he could " stop embarrassing Nigeria by queuing for food at Warwick University cafeteria.

Haba you people should fear God. Civil war is over na.
Because an MP in England, a man aged less than 50 should make an assertion, it is true? Because he is white? Whats wrong with us?

I was in form 5 when this coup occurred - not everyone in NL is a uni student. I was an eye witness to everything that happened then. This is a huge piece of disinformation swallowed by an extremely foolish MP.

I support endsars fully but you don't build justice on lies like this simply to get revenge on a man who oversaw the civil war. The motive is clear and the objective and sources are similarly clear.

He was overthrown after 9yrs o not 9hrs
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by lamentor78(m): 10:12am On Nov 24, 2020
If I don't know anything I knew that of Abdulsalam , he packed raw dollars, to his hilltop house in Minna
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:14am On Nov 24, 2020
Prymestrr:

So in you opinion he had to wait till he was overthrown before he stole? Even tho he was in power for over solid 3 years?

Oga I shame for your brain.

9YRS o

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:15am On Nov 24, 2020
Never4getU:
My guy, power is transient. The Nigerian presidency is occultic, if u are not among u won't succeed else u will be consumed like umaru yaradua.

This isn't a pessimism nonsense, it's the fact. U can chose to live with or continue to selude urself.

The whole political system of Nigeria is occultic
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by uncleinans(m): 10:15am On Nov 24, 2020
planetx:
Most of the 3 million dead were civilians and came from starvation not actual direct casualties of the war.

Of course there are always cases of starvation in times of war. Even in present Syria war and the world wars the world has seen recorded death as results of starvation. But to say three million died? Nah...... Never. What was Nigeria population like then? Funny thing you will even hear is that the 3millions they claimed died are Igbos. That's a pure lie.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:16am On Nov 24, 2020
Badonasty:

as in bro...the way some people reason e dey always do me like to just find the person go use gun blast am for house...just imagine if we have half of our population thinking like this guy how will this country be great

We have more than half

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ednut1(m): 10:19am On Nov 24, 2020
udemzyudex:

Very stupid question i must say, does it takes a full tenure for a government official to still money?
and what did the uk do when he came with stolen funds
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by uncleinans(m): 10:22am On Nov 24, 2020
ibietela2:

We are almost the same population with Ethiopia

According to Google, Ethiopia has a population of 114M people. Well, i can't say for Nigeria untill we conduct a good census. But if I am to estimate Nigeria's population then I will go with 140 million people. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Bellotelli: 10:23am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story
But did the UK return the money to Nigeria
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by lomprico(m): 10:24am On Nov 24, 2020
and ndi igbo is Nigeria's problem! undecided
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:25am On Nov 24, 2020
horsepower102:

FINALLY SOMEONE IS BEGINING TO SEE THE TRUTH ABOUT NIGERIA

I used to be very pro-Nigerian growing up until I started seeing the truth about this evil country and the years of lies and propaganda.

Majority of Nigerians Know the truth but are scared of Admitting it.

We dey the same boat o
The few I have read and watch
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Bellotelli: 10:25am On Nov 24, 2020
defcon4:
Nigeria is cursed and the curse goes thus... All those born pre Civil war must die for Nigeria to rise. A generation must die for the blood it has shed.
And that should include members of ur family.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:26am On Nov 24, 2020
fredylee:
Gowon left to the UK from Uganda, directly after his overthrow. Does it mean that he had "the money" with him while at the OAU summit in Kampala? Was he then aware his govt was going to be toppled ahead of the summit? Did he have access to the CBN after his overthrow? Clarifications needed.

He has ruled 9yrs before he was overthrown by his fellow coupist
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by HRMK: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2020
IS THE PARLIAMENTARIAN JUST WAKING UP FROM SLEEP?AFTER 50YRS?NAWA!
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Rugaria: 10:29am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Gowon-Took 50% of the Central Bank
IBB- Took 60% of the Central Bank
Abacha- Took 70% of the Central Bank
Abdusalami: Took 90% of the Central Bank and left OBJ with nothing in the coffers.
Buhari- I wonder how much Buhari has taken

Slowly, the reason why they fought a greedy war and committed genocide to put, is coming out.... Once you live longer, the truth will always come out..
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:30am On Nov 24, 2020
grandstar:
When Gowon came back in 1983, he was said to have been broke. We so want to believe the worst in people.

Corruption then was rather mild compared to what we have today where people fllaunt sleaze without shame.

Yes, but he did make his friends rich like Tunji Braithwaite.

Most importantly, I doubt you can just walk into the Central Bank and steal wantonly. It's obviously exaggerated to make him look bad

He was already BAD
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 10:31am On Nov 24, 2020
PhiliptheArab:
I personally think that Jack Gowon did steal while in office. He certainly did excuse the looting under his watch by some of the folks in his circle and so on

But i strongly doubt he 'stole half the cental bank'. That in itself would have precipitated a serious financial crisis for Nigeria and the fact is the 1970s were a time of general economic prosperity even growth.

The issues though behind this allegations are two in number. First, bitterness towards Gowon because of the 1966 to 70 period and the general idea of Nigeria as having a national cake to share.

Bitterness? It's a WHITE PM that said it not an IGBO just incase you are making reference to the 1966 counter coup or the civil war
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:32am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Abdusalami: Took 90% of the Central Bank and left OBJ with nothing in the coffers.

Buhari does not leave leftovers on his plate. Ask butler Emefiele

PhiliptheArab. Hope you can see what i'm seeing. I remember you saying it was not possible for the looters to take up to 30% of our income. I hope you can see that a man regarded as a saint was saintly enough to take only 50%. So you can imagine what other grand looters that came after him took
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Cuntface: 10:36am On Nov 24, 2020
ednut1:
Gowon was overthrown while at AU meeting. how did he then move the money to London we all know he stole but can this man's account be accurate. The west are enablers of corruptions but still come out latter to talk shit lmao grin

Chai see how an average Nigerian thinks!! Quite pathetic
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by sangresan(m): 10:37am On Nov 24, 2020
This is idiocy at its peak....Nigerians especially the youths are not only gullible but also stupid...They lack the ability for critical reasoning to make informed conclusions.

Let's check the facts. Gowon was overthrown when he went for a OAU meeting. The person who took over was Murtala Mohammed...Now, Murtala happened to be a stubborn man who was hellbent on exposing corruption perpetrated by Gowon and his cronies. Many military governors and senior civil servants were sacked for one reason or the other. Gowon's name was never mentioned among the culprits...

Moreover, several panels have been mandated to investigate corruption allegations against past leaders in Nigeria, Gowon's name has never featured among the corrupt. When names like IBB, Abacha, and so on are mentioned, you won't hear anything about Gowon....How is he now being dragged into a corruption allegation based on what is said by an unknown UK parliamentarian who probably knows next to nothing about Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by emezuo17: 10:39am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story
. He is a hero to igbo haters, to igbos, he is villain, to the the middle belt, he was and still is a stooge, to all credible Nigerians, he is the architect of the present rot we have in the system, so in all, Gowon, shouldn't be mentioned when and where great leaders of this country are being mentioned.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ehinmowo: 10:40am On Nov 24, 2020
ednut1:

What exactly are you saying? Gowon was in power for 9 years. A senator whose country the money was sent to is telling you and you that does not know the account number of Gowon is here defending him.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by NextBuhari: 10:45am On Nov 24, 2020
Vanzcharles:

Well it might not be at once. He was head of state for 9 years. You don't expect to wait before he was overthrown. Being a military man, you should expect anything at a time. That's why Abacha had prepared enough loot. He did not perceive his death.
Moreover, if Abacha was still alive, we may not get the actual quantum of our Commonwealth he pilfered.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:
Gowon was removed from power in a coup while he was in Uganda. What time did he have to loot half of the central bank and come to London after his coup? Why didnt the government of Muritala request the funds transferred to London. There is no way that money that huge will leave the shores of Nigeria and not be noticed by the succeeding government. Also, he came back to Nigeria and nothing was done about it.
I am not defending nobody. This UK parliament man was probably a child when this thing happened. We need strong proof to verify this actually happened. Verbal assertions is not enough. We were sure of what Obasanjo did. We had proof of what Abacha did. So let the proofs come out.
And one wonders how it was Gowon he mentioned and not even evil genius IBB or vile Abacha. Not even OBJ the most popular among them but Gowon. If you think this is not classified information he's giving out freely then you lack perception brother.
Besides, what are you sure of that OBJ did?

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by themaestro08(m): 10:49am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

Wonder where you kept Jonathan and OBJ

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Egberi Papa: 'why Atiku Will Win Buhari Landslide At The Presidential Election' / Lobbying For Appointments In Tinubu’s Presidency Begins / PDP Welcomes Buhari To Presidential Race: Faults His Claims On State Of The Nati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.