Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike (26869 Views)

ASUU Divided Over Strike Suspension, Holds NEC Meeting / Strike: Why ASUU Should Accept FG’s Offer — Ngige / ASUU Strike: Resolution Of ASUU Branches On Fg’s Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by sinkhole: 6:41am On Nov 27, 2020
ACADEMIC Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) branches are divided over whether to accept the Federal Government’s offer and call off their eight-month-old strike.

The union will harmonise the positions of zones and branches at a meeting in Abuja today.

With some branches insisting that the government must meet all the demands before the strike is called off, the union may put the decision to a vote.

The Ahmadu Bello University branch agreed with the government on the N40 billion Earned Academic Allowance (EAA).

The branch, however, called for payment of the allowance before the strike will be called off.

Lecturers at the Federal University of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE), Delta State, said negotiations with the Federal Government must be concluded before the strike is called off.

Ezekiel Agbalagba, chairman of ASUU at the university, said the congress on Wednesday accepted the EAA, but rejected the N25 billion for the revitalisation of the varsities.

According to him, the latest concession by the Federal Government is “an offer”, adding: “Let it land in our purse first.”

He added: “We are willing to suspend the strike, but some of those contending issues should be thrashed and thrashed once.”

ASUU chapters of the University of Maiduguri, Yobe State University and Federal University Gashua resolved to get a serious commitment from the Federal Government before they call off the industrial action.

The Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (UAM) ASUU voted to continue with the strike action until the Federal Government implements what was offered during the negotiation.

ASUU- UAM chapter said both their withheld salaries and sundry allowances must be also paid.

A lecturer at UAM, who preferred not to be named, said they voted that the strike should continue until the government fulfils its part of the bargain.

ASUU national leadership will receive reports from zonal coordinators, following state congresses.

After considering the reports, the leadership is expected to take a position and present it to the Federal Government.

A source said some of the congresses voted to call off the strike; others did not.

The source said the congresses agreed on the offers presented by the government to the union and with a timeframe to implement some of them.

The source added: “All the reports will come in today (yesterday) and we can make a decision on it.”

Last Friday, the Federal Government agreed with ASUU’s demand for payment of lecturers’ salaries from February to June through the old platform – the Government Integrated Financial and Management Information System.

The government said the exemption of ASUU from the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) was temporary pending when the university lecturers will complete the development of its payment platform – the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

After weeks of negotiations, the government offered to raise the EAA from N30billion to N35billion and the revitalisation fund from N20billion to N25billion.

Cumulatively, the government, through the Accountant-General of the Federation, offered the lecturers N65 billion to call off the strike.

The government also shifted ground on some issues, including the insistence that all the academic staff of federal universities must be paid through the IPPIS platform.

The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN ASUU Chairman, Prof Moyosore Ajao, said the chapter was in alignment with the national body.

He said: “Our president will make a pronouncement on our resolution after our meeting tomorrow (today).”

A source at the ASUU UNILORIN meeting said the union resolved that “our salaries be paid and must henceforth not be stopped”.

“We also resolved that ASUU is not and cannot be on IPPIS,” he added.

Chairman of University of Jos chapter of ASUU, Dr Lazarus Maigoro, said: “We are under a strict directive from the national body not to release our resolutions yet.”

Sokoto Zonal Coordinator of ASUU, Dr Jamilu Shehu, told our correspondent that the zones are expected to make their positions known at the Abuja meeting.

https://thenationonlineng.net/ASUU-divided-over-fed-govts-offer-to-end-strike/amp/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by flyingpig: 6:46am On Nov 27, 2020
Wicked men
Disrupting one full session of learning as it is now, still does not bother them.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Hakin042: 6:46am On Nov 27, 2020
I am a student in rwanda...schooling and enjoying my environment (electricity, good road ,good transportation, security etc).... So I try to help other students who have been stuck with Nigeria education system.... Reach out to me if you Interested in some of the top and affordable universities in Rwanda...your admission letter will be ready in 3 to 5 days ..no jamb no post utme.. no strike...graduate In 3 years in a conducive environment!

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Calazoto: 6:47am On Nov 27, 2020
This country na wa o!
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by chatinent: 6:52am On Nov 27, 2020
This ASUU-FG stuff is just annoying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by mivicssmith: 7:28am On Nov 27, 2020
I tot the so called NANS agreed on a protest? Have they been bribed again? Nah only God fit save this nation. Everyman for his pocket

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by ATEAMS: 7:39am On Nov 27, 2020
Nawao
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by cardoctor(m): 7:40am On Nov 27, 2020
The brown envelopes haven't fully gone round.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by TinubuGoQuench(f): 7:40am On Nov 27, 2020
IT WILL NEVER BE WELL WITH CRIMINAL TINUBU WHO DECEIVED GULLIBLE NIGERIANS TO SUPPORT THE DEAD VEGETABLE IN ASO ROCK!
TINUBU NA QUENCHING LEVEL U DEY SO

17 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by slawormiir: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Na them sabi
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by willexyaho(m): 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
Ok
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by psalmskiddy(m): 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
Useless set of people

1 Like

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by gurunlocker: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
Hakin042:
I am a student in rwanda...schooling and enjoying my environment (electricity, good road ,good transportation, security etc).... So I try to help other students who have been stuck with Nigeria education system.... Reach out to me if you Interested in some of the top and affordable universities in Rwanda...your admission letter will be ready in 3 to 5 days ..no jamb no post utme.. no strike...graduate In 3 years in a conducive environment!

How about Namibia or Botswana?

28 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Adonis86(m): 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
I wish ASUU leadership doesn't lose focus on this. Offering them more money without implementing the initial offer and still withholding their salaries for over six months now seems to me as a Greek Gift.

They should wait for all the agreement to be completely concertised before calling off the strike.

The Federal government is a very irresponsible government.

They give more money and attention to frivolities and self rewarding of themselves with the latest Prado and Lexus jeeps.

They pay Boko Haram repentees and reward mediocrity against meritocracy on daily basis.

Nobody should pity them.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Homeboiy: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
lipsrsealed

I want everything trashed

To avoid future re occurrence

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Nobody: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
Nigerian students don't give a fvc.k any longer. When they're done with their shenanigans, let them tell us. grin

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by HigherEd: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2020
This people are using the future of young people to catch cruise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Igbankpa(m): 7:42am On Nov 27, 2020
unionism in Nigeria has gone to the dogs.
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Coronavirus84: 7:42am On Nov 27, 2020
Something is wrong with ASUU and its members, If by the end of today meeting they did not cut off their meaningless strike, Federal government should just abandon them and let them continues begging for food here and their. Awon Oloriburuku Union

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 7:42am On Nov 27, 2020
ASUU should receive all the money first before calling off the strike.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by DannyJ19(m): 7:43am On Nov 27, 2020
There should reject the offer from FG until their interest are fully met.. Let this be the Last ASUU strike.

The FG have a habit of paying less attention to priorities, If it was to increase Senators/Reps allowance or Settle Herdsmen I'm certain the funds would have been disbursed.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by brainpulse: 7:43am On Nov 27, 2020
If you believe ASUU has been fighting for the interest of Nigerian students, then you are wrong.

Even when all their demands are met, they will find another hand twisting demands to outwit governments.

Majority of Lecturers have other businesses they do, some are just lecturing for the fun of it, so they have nothing at sake

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Nerdified: 7:43am On Nov 27, 2020
Ngige has finally injected disunity among them with that 40B grin...wise man

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by babag93: 7:44am On Nov 27, 2020
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by netflicks(m): 7:44am On Nov 27, 2020
N25 billion for the revitalisation of the varsities while N37billion for renovation of NASS...

Something is just not right..these people no rate us at all..

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Jahzrockballer(m): 7:45am On Nov 27, 2020
Wahala for both ASUU and the Federal pigs 'cos students Don move on with their lives ever since.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by bluefilm: 7:46am On Nov 27, 2020
What's the meaning of this nonsense now?

I thought they said the strike will be called off TODAY? lipsrsealed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by bigpsalmmy: 7:46am On Nov 27, 2020
Can you ever have every member of a family agree on a position? Of course not, but majority of the ASUU members have agreed to call-off the strike only when govt fulfill their offers. So no division here abeg, jus some OP trying to create sensational headline

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by DaddyRochie1642: 7:46am On Nov 27, 2020
Hakin042:

Hope this won't End in Weeping and gnashing of Teeth for them grin grin

14 Likes

Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by Dididrumz(m): 7:46am On Nov 27, 2020
Still on this matter
Re: ASUU Divided Over FG's Offer To End Strike by akosy(m): 7:47am On Nov 27, 2020
Since ABU chapter has agreed, this strike is ending soon.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan At Gregory University Convocation In Uturu (Photos) / Is This The Highest Score So Far At The Ongoing Jamb?… Checkout This Jamb Score / PDTF SCHOLARSHIP 2021 FOR Undergraduate/m.sc/phd Thread -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.