Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,533 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Yar'adua Declares His Assets - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Declares His Assets (8797 Views)

Senator Shehu Sani Declared Wives Among His Assets....Right Or Wrong? / Breaking: Finally, He Declares His Asset! / Buhari Declares His Assets On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Mustay(m): 9:12am On Jun 30, 2007
I can imagine how oyo governor - alao akala's account 'll be. Adedibu 'll be a creditor in his liabilities!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Mustay(m): 9:12am On Jun 30, 2007
I can imagine how oyo governor - alao akala's account 'll be. Adedibu 'll be a creditor in his liabilities!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by wiseguy(m): 9:25am On Jun 30, 2007
I must commend president YDA first of all.

For those of us, including the NLC, who are asking how and when he made the money. I think for YDA to give us the chance to ask those questions is a good thing and commendable. None of us since May 29th cared to ask such questions until Yesterday. Now we have the questions, we are seeking for answers and I believe we will get the answers. Thanks to YDA for the chance to ask the questions and now we need the answers though personally I would say most of the answers are contained in the declaration.

The senate should speed up on this FOI bill. Its one of the very effective ways of checking corruption. And one wonders why OBJ didn't sign the bill when it was passed in the last senate.

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by dblock(m): 9:27am On Jun 30, 2007
The declaration of assets should be made Mandatory. The Annual income of the Politicians should be monitored by an Independent Organization. The Organization should be an affiliation of World Bank.

If this is realized, then corruption will be alleviated drastically.

Governors and presidents, must realize that they aren't coming to office, to live Lavish and Lucrative Lifestyles, but to be Servant Leaders, that can guide the Nation were it should be.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by McKren(m): 11:09am On Jun 30, 2007
dblock:

The declaration of assets should be made Mandatory. The Annual income of the Politicians should be monitored by an Independent Organization. The Organization should be an affiliation of World Bank.

If this is realized, then corruption will be alleviated drastically.

Governors and presidents, must realize that they aren't coming to office, to live Lavish and Lucrative Lifestyles, but to be Servant Leaders, that can guide the Nation were it should be.

My brother the most prolific form of looting for our politicians and public officers is by the use of surrogates or fronts.

While it is important to mandate Governors to declare their assets before they assume any office, I think more time should be spent scrutinizing how much revenue (Fedral and state generated) a State attracts and how they are spent.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by esilove(m): 11:24am On Jun 30, 2007
Yar'adua has made a great step to his second tenure in office. mark this word today, he did this to entise the people in his leadership. Baba tumble this country upside down and ran away, his boy is trying to clear the road as much as possible so that the people will not feel the impact of Baba bad leadership.

Yar'adua has a plan which he has started accomplishing for the next 4 yrs.
Can tell me the reason why he use baba as the Chairman PDP Board of trustee?

They have a plan to comb the nation again.

BE WISE
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by beambally: 11:43am On Jun 30, 2007
some ex guvner wifes and children are worthy more than dat,kudos to him.have that liking him
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by docokwy(m): 11:52am On Jun 30, 2007
Anything that is done towards ensuring transparency in government will be welcomed. However, some questions arise.
Who authenticated it to know they (the assets) are true? How much tax does he pay on such wealth? What were Yar'Adua's assets before he became governor? And what is the difference between the then assets and the ones he just declared?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 1:13pm On Jun 30, 2007
I have said it that these NLC people are dull. They are asking the motive for Yar'Adua's asset declaration. They don't know that the constitution compels him to declare his assets.

And they ask who authenticated it. He doesn't need anybody to authenticate it. He declares it, then any individual, group, agency, NGO or firm now has the onus to investigate and prove him wrong.

Then his assets before he became governor are obvious, his assets before he became president are obvious, his assets now he's president, they are clear too. What is that daft NLC PRO is saying.

@dblock

Asset declaration should not be made mandatory. It's already mandatory. It's just that the politician now how they've managed to put the citizens in the dark all this while and they do not like that Yar is making these secrets public.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by dblock(m): 1:54pm On Jun 30, 2007
And who let you in on this Dark secret
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by ph4life(m): 3:28pm On Jun 30, 2007
Mr president tried, none of the present and past rogue leaders can even declare their networth. Peter Odili (Mr Donatus) for 1 needs to be castrated before getting locked up for the abuse he rendered to the River State treasury; humans like him are 1 of the main reasons Niger Delta is not safe today. Imagine the condition of PH international airport - the place no even better pass wetin i see for raid on Entebbe. Huge billboards of him picture full everywhere you go for PH like say Him be god. I can't wait for the day he goes down man. And that ARIK arline as well na our wad the guy use open that 1. But all of us just dey, nobody dey talk nothing - shuffering and smilling as usual - solution is simple, str8 up REVOLUTION; naked all of them parade them for all the streets for real.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by vigasimple(m): 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2007
The way I look at this is that any effort or attempt to bring trasparency should be commended.

Let me start with fuel and vat increase by OBJ. It is act  of political masterclass. What he OBJ has done subtly is to help Yar Ardua.

The election (or selection) of Yar Adua, which I think is a better man is a wise judgement by OBJ and also he OBJ does not have to increase the fuel price days before leaving office and leave that for Yar Adua to do. Since Yar Adua on getting to power will need accepting and consolidation by reversing the increase quickly increase his(Yar Adua) profile as a good leader and listerning one and demonise OBJ. But this is a carefully orchestrated move. So Yar Adua has dealt with a major issue and therefore he is good president. Kudos to OBJ and PDP poltical machine.

Now on the issue of Yar Adua asset declaration, McKREN set out the issues follow by FLT123, those 2 guys address what matters and so is also is DENEX, ENOLAISE and SARTORIOUS once you read all their contribution, you will see and agree with me that Nigeria has a great future. The issue is not just declaration for the sake of it, it is how that is acquired.

Assets declaration should be mandatory and authenticated and must be made on affidavitt i.e under oath and also has a column to declare if such declarant has any trustee holding any assets on his/her behalf, or indeed any secret trusts.

Finally whether or not it will be practicable to have any trustee to declare them being a Trustee of Political leaders especially President, Governor, Senators, House members , Local Govt chairmen Ministers, commissiooners etc. So that assets will not be concealed through 3rd party.

On the whole it is a good thing to declare assets and breakdown so that people can scrutinise it and ask appopriate questions. For example NLC ask some relevant question even though they also ask some silly ones, but without the declaration we cannot even debate it let alone ask relevant questions

This guy Yar Adua is educated, he is the President and commander in chief of the Armed Forces, by  virtual of that office and patronage he is rich now and in the future and our leaders should be well off in their own rights so that at least that in part will reduce corrupt inclination.

May God bless and continue to be with us and our Great country NIgeria.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kenflipper(m): 3:59pm On Jun 30, 2007
What's this about, WHERE DID THIS YARA MAN GET ALL THAT MONEY, chei and some people dey street dey sufffer, this is why naija we always be the way it is!!! , truly bleeped!
Been a governor doesnt mean he should be a multi-millionaira, how much was his salary, didnt he have relatives that he paid school fees for and looked after??  Even if he was a bank director? does that automatically translate into him becoming a multi--millionaire?, I M TRULY LOST.

Declaration of assets is not enough if these guy cant prove how they made the money in the first place. Full step by step details should be made know on how this money was made in the past.
What YARA MAN has done is not enough if we are serious about fighting corruption.

Dem chop am, dem no leave for us
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by miky(m): 5:30pm On Jun 30, 2007
very nice effort from the man, i mean its a step to a thousand miles. some nigerian sef, if he declare wahala if he no declare wahala, i tire ooh
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2007
@dblock

I read the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

There's an online copy you can read at the link below:

www.waado.org/nigerian_scholars/archive/debates/constitution/constit1999.html
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by spoilt(f): 12:20am On Jul 01, 2007
where did he get all that money ? shocked
when he's leaving office, lets see if he'll declare his assets again. grin
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 12:31am On Jul 01, 2007
spoilt:

where did he get all that money ? shocked
when he's leaving office, lets see if he'll declare his assets again. grin

His parents were rich for god's sake! And he was in the private sector long before joining politics. Let the "poor" man be abeg.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by spoilt(f): 12:38am On Jul 01, 2007
kokoA:

His parents were rich for god's sake! And he was in the private sector long before joining politics. Let the "poor" man be abeg.

see me see champs oh! are you his personal accountant? not many business men have that kind of money besides when you declare your assets you are opening yourself up for questioning (like it should rightly be!)
you seem to be able to vouch for him with your life.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 12:50am On Jul 01, 2007
spoilt:

see me see champs oh! are you his personal accountant? not many business men have that kind of money besides when you declare your assets you are opening yourself up for questioning (like it should rightly be!)
you seem to be able to vouch for him with your life.

Why not convert his figure to dollars and tell me how "rich" he really is. He is a buiseness man now you know abi? Ok IBB's name can not be traced to any buiseness yet he is far richer than musa. Why not ask him where he go his money from. Peter Odili, was a governor like him and have multibillion naira account, ask him where he got his money from. Andy Uba was only an adviser to Baba, yet he is worth 1 trillion naira, ask him where he got his money from? Is it a crime for your president to be rich?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 01, 2007
Yar Adua claims he inherited most of his money from his brother, the question is where did his brother get all that money from? His salary as a soldier?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by GNature(m): 1:12am On Jul 01, 2007

Andy Uba was only an adviser to Baba, yet he is worth 1 trillion naira, ask him where he got his money from? Is it a crime for your president to be rich?

Nairalanders, please help me out. I have read from several people on this board that Andy Uba is worth 1 trillion naira (almost 8 billion dollars), how true is this ? Where is the source of this information ?
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by kokoA(m): 1:19am On Jul 01, 2007
GNature:

Nairalanders, please help me out. I have read from several people on this board that Andy Uba is worth 1 trillion naira (almost 8 billion dollars), how true is this ? Where is the source of this ?

Ask the loser na or better still, ask his "father" obj.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 1:25am On Jul 01, 2007
Our president $8million dollars rich after more than 2 decades of enterprise and almost a decade of allowanced living.

I personally think he should be criticized for not being productive enough. I hope he can multiply Nigerian wealth better than he did with his because I really am not impressed by a man who made $8million out of $1million in 8 years. I really hope he can increase Nigerian GDP by more than double each year.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by DisGuy: 1:29am On Jul 01, 2007
denex:

Our president $8million dollars rich after more than 2 decades of enterprise and almost a decade of allowanced living.

I personally think he should be criticized for not being productive enough. I hope he can multiply Nigerian wealth better than he did with his because I really am not impressed by a man who made $8million out of $1million in 8 years. I really hope he can increase Nigerian GDP by more than double each year.

i was about to say that, but he was not really in charge of his welath he should get a proper full-time asset manager wink
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by GNature(m): 1:34am On Jul 01, 2007
denex:

I hope he can multiply Nigerian wealth better than he did with his

As far as the economy is concerned, Yar'Adua needs to surround himself with technocrats like Okonjo-Iweala, Bode Agusto, Ezekwesili, Soludo etc. He needs to appoint people based on their credentials and not their ethnic background or just for political reasons. He should surround himself with people that'll give him advise that'll benefit the country as a whole and not protect their interests. Otherwise, we are going to regress.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by spoilt(f): 3:25am On Jul 01, 2007
@kokoA
why must i convert to dollars dear?
even in nigerian terms that is a lot of money, so lets start there.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by comechop(m): 6:28am On Jul 01, 2007
god bless our great country nigeria!!! did i hear someone shout amen at home
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by sartorius(m): 7:12am On Jul 01, 2007
[
GNature:

As far as the economy is concerned, Yar'Adua needs to surround himself with technocrats like Okonjo-Iweala, Bode Agusto, Ezekwesili, Soludo etc. He needs to appoint people based on their credentials and not their ethnic background or just for political reasons. He should surround himself with people that'll give him advise that'll benefit the country as a whole and not protect their interests. Otherwise, we are going to regress.
[/quote

he wont be able to survive with only technocrats, he would have to accomodate some politicians, i hope he balances it well. his declared assets is what some guvnors use as gifts
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by sartorius(m): 7:45am On Jul 01, 2007
Section 6 (1) of the Fifth Schedule to the Constitution says: "A public officer shall not ask for or accept property or benefits of any kind for himself or any other person on account of anything done or omitted to be done by him in the discharge of his duties".

Section 6 (2) further forbids "the receipt by a public officer of any gifts or benefits from commercial firms, business enterprises or persons who have contracts with government, " So, what is the source of the gifts to the Yar'Aduas?

Nigerians are now asking more questions , i think its really good for our democracy. Yaradua has set a good example of being modest, some local goverment chairmen are richer than him.
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by 9ja4eva: 7:50am On Jul 01, 2007
Good move by Yar Adua
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by sartorius(m): 7:54am On Jul 01, 2007
grin i knew he would say so, who will ask andy?

Senator Ikechukwu Obiora (PDP, Anambra South) even while expressing his appreciation of the president’s action said public declaration of assets was not his major problem. According to him, he was more worried by the continued detention of Chief Ralph Uwazuruike and other leaders of the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) who he said were now critically ill.

Senators divided over Yar’Adua’s assets declaration.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/cover/july07/01072007/f301072007.html
Re: Yar'adua Declares His Assets by denex: 7:56am On Jul 01, 2007
God has mercifully blessed us with this type of servant-president and we choose to look the gift horse in the mouth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2015 Polls Will Be Free, Fair –jonathan / Enugu Shuns MASSOB Sit-at-home Order / Inspector General Of Police Declares Christmas Crime-Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.