Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,291 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation (15140 Views)

Ortom Asks FG To Account For $1bn Security Fund Jointly Contributed By States / Ortom Asks Buhari To Resign, Hand Over Power To Osinbajo / Nnamdi Kanu's Arrest: Put Same Zeal In Arrest Of Killer Herdsmen ― Ortom Asks FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by ceaser: 8:48am On Dec 01, 2020
One thing I know is that I already developed a liking for home grown rice. The peculiar taste has gradually grown on me. And even though I stock one home grown and one foreign at any point in time, the foreign somehow tastes bland whenever I eat it.

The government should improve incentives, provide security and provide ready made market for Nigerian farmers.

Then the issue of inordinate profit also comes in. Nigerians are known to engage in illegitimate profiteering whenever given the slightest opportunity. If indeed the local farmers and rice processors are cashing out like the popular claim, then I see no reason why they should sell their bags of rice for more than 10 thousand naira instead of the current 26 thousand naira. In Cotonou, the imported rice sells for 8k, and by the time it gets to end consumers here in Nigeria, it is already 31k. This is part of the illegitimate profiteering. The local farmers should strategize to technically destroy demand for foreign rice by creating competitive price advantage. I can't see local rice for 12k and foreign rice for 20k and decide to go for the latter especially when there has been significant improvement in the local end product, that will be stupidity.

But like every other policies, this rice importation ban is usually half thought, and the government lacks the will to punish saboteurs especially if such are from their region in the north.

The recent massacre of rice farmers in Borno and the razing of the rice field has high suggestion of sabotage by people that may already be losing significantly from the ban on rice importation; kind of an economic war that may be sponsored by countries that have lost the huge rice importation business in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by ebenezar202I: 9:25am On Dec 01, 2020
Badonasty:
lol....na God go punish you for this rubbish wey you talk
it's just too bad why everyone are now so desperate to please their Fulani masters.
If he talks this rubbish in public ma confirm tyre them go carry roast am use am do barbecue

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Truthstands: 9:38am On Dec 01, 2020
And these are people governing Nigerians. What a disgrace of a comment. So, Nigerians should die of hunger right? God will judge all of you.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Vincyman: 10:12am On Dec 01, 2020
Toh make them kukuma ban importation of all goods into the country na.. #clueless governments
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by ThatFairGuy1: 10:56am On Dec 01, 2020
amerengues:
Banning importation of rice into the country is one of the best decisions made by this government even though they have failed us woefully.

However, a seemingly rational and needed decision such as the ban has made life miserable to a large extent. You don’t ban importation without massively following it up with implementation of policies that helps local production.

Rice is still expensive because of the cost of production and some opportunists likewise other produce.

If only Government is sincere with these policies, then we should have started reaping the benefits of border closure by now.

1) Provide free or very low cost inputs eg seeds, improved varieties, free lease of machines.

2) Subsidize processing and production machineries. I approached the bank sometimes ago for forex on Agro processing machineries to aid local production but was grossly disappointed

3) Make grassroots friendly agricultural policies. Not ones that are feasible online but unattainable to those not connected.

4) For those who managed to fund themselves to start up something, what will be their fate after borrowing to start the project for produce hitherto imported.

5) Border closure isn’t enough, logistics and transportation plays a huge role in cost of production.

6) Farmers to end users connection should be promoted so that farmers can earn premium income for their sweats.

I can keep naming it but border closure without adequate plans has subjected us to unprecedented and untold hardship.

God help us.
Well said
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by wasi9ice: 11:51am On Dec 01, 2020
Thunder fire you and that your useless mouth ,,
Since the rice importation was Barned, how has your so called rice affected the economy of the nation, are we not in recession now?
How much is a bag of your so called rice now compared to what it used to be?
Is it not 2 times higher than even the foreign rice before it was barned??
Because we used to buy a bag of foreign rice for 8k before Buhari took over and barned the importation of rice........
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2020
ThiagoKid:
Na Wetin buhari like to dey hear be dis...

Most Nigerians deserves their current leaders

I’m telling you. The man has just declared how he is making money. If you people like you can starve- Nigerian leadership
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Okoroawusa: 12:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
Drone95:
Unfortunately the PMB you loved is dead!
Hahahaha!
Nnamdi Kanu's disciple
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by AFONJACOW(m): 12:34pm On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:
He will definitely not... trillions of naira has been invested into it and we've made tremendous gain and success.

Rip to the 43 rice farmers that was slaughtered by boko haram
how much is 1 mudu of rice in ur area after investing the unseen trillion in rice farming
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by uptimum123(m): 12:44pm On Dec 01, 2020
AFONJACOW:
how much is 1 mudu of rice in ur area after investing the unseen trillion in rice farming

Go and ask your kerosene governor

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Onlyonebuhari: 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2020
We are not benefitting from local producers. Let their be competition. That have failed us
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by mfm04622: 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
This man is a governor and he doesn't know there is no ban on importation of rice into Nigeria? The policy is ban on importation of rice through land borders. Anybody can import rice through our seaport, pay duties and clear their rice lagally!
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Imortal001: 1:29pm On Dec 01, 2020
cucumbae:
The made in Nigeria rice have more stones than rice.
Take it easy bro, are you a lion?
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Drone95(m): 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2020
Buharis fanatic defender & lover
Okoroawusa:

Hahahaha!
Nnamdi Kanu's disciple
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by iretinyeee(f): 1:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
This man has started romancing with APC members again. Tomorrow they ll start dealing
with him by sending Fulani herdsmen after his his people. He wouldn't give them long spoon now. Trouble dey his own iyanga is waking it.
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by Oshokalo: 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2020
foolish man,check what his saying u will sense selfishness,greediness so they shouldn't open border because ur rice is now selling,what about the masses consuming expensive stone and dusty rice
Re: Governor Ortom Asks FG Not To Reverse Ban On Rice Importation by AFONJACOW(m): 8:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:

Go and ask your kerosene governor
I hope u are not scavengering around looking for skull u will mine

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu Cop's Misuse Of Fire Arm: Gov. Ugwuanyi Visits Victims, Pays Medical Bills / In 2021, World Bank Wrote To Appreciate Yahaya Bello On Return Of $4.6 Million / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.