Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,657 members, 7,840,602 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) (15066 Views)

Peter Obi: Nigeria Needs Leaders With Genuine Identity, Verified Credentials / Peter Obi: Nigeria Now Ranks In The Same Place With Afghanistan,Yemen / Zainab Ahmed: Nigeria Will Exit Recession Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by wink2015(m): 3:32pm On Dec 01, 2020
Apart from cutting down on the cost of governance.

Nigeria lopsided federalism deserve RESTRUCTURING.

True federalism will position Nigeria for better management.

It is unfair distributing Niger delta crude oil money and Lagos vat money to lazy and idle state.

PETER OBI SHOULD NOT SHY FROM RESTRUCTURING.

He has been avoiding this topic for quite a long period.

I think states should move from taking federal allocation money and be collaborating with other richer state for economic development.

Governor Ambode experimented with Kebbi state on rice cultivation that is a good economic collaboration.

That will drive the economy of poorer states to become economic power house.

I am wondering why the north that is endowed with large size of land is afraid of restructuring.

They are just too afraid to loose "FEDERAL MONEY" they just prefer to collect from the federal government while their own state remain underdeveloped year in year out.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Ihatemumu: 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2020
SilverNorGold:
Nice.. But the truth is that if the government should do the RIGHT thing to end the recession and boost the economy to first-tier level, there'll be massive protests across the country before the plans even kick off..

Nigerians want the government to turn Nigeria into New York overnight, but they want a tax-free and all-subsidized society..

LOL, Nigerians gave President Mohammadu Buhari 5000 naira to purchase iPhone 11 Pro Max and still bring back change.. It doesn't work that way, my brothers and sisters...

The problem is with us, Nigerians... Unless we change, we shouldn't expect change.. Even our younger ones.. You collect 15k from your struggling parents to buy a textbook that's actually worth 1k, then you pocket the remaining 14k.. That's Introduction to Corruption 101.. cheesy

May God help us all.

no worry, when it gets to you, you will understand
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by TheBeat: 3:35pm On Dec 01, 2020
SilverNorGold:
Nice.. But the truth is that if the government should do the RIGHT thing to end the recession and boost the economy to first-tier level, there'll be massive protests across the country before the plans even kick off..

Nigerians want the government to turn Nigeria into New York overnight, but they want a tax-free and all-subsidized society..

LOL, Nigerians gave President Mohammadu Buhari 5000 naira to purchase iPhone 11 Pro Max and still bring back change.. It doesn't work that way, my brothers and sisters...

The problem is with us, Nigerians... Unless we change, we shouldn't expect change.. Even our younger ones.. You collect 15k from your struggling parents to buy a textbook that's actually worth 1k, then you pocket the remaining 14k.. That's Introduction to Corruption 101.. cheesy

May God help us all.
Not really. Nigerians will be ready to pay more taxes if they are put to good use. You tax poor masses who are struggling to survive and loot the cash. Infact as it stands now, we are not supposed to be paying tax with the ongoing poor system. Poor roads, poor electricity, no water, no security etc. We simply tax 90% of Nigerians to service corrupt 10%. Look at how much our senators earn monthly. Even countries with robust economy don't pay that much.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by berrystunn(m): 3:38pm On Dec 01, 2020
If only they will allow this man to be the president for just 4yrs .

Some people will not have interest in politics again.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Okwyjesus(m): 3:38pm On Dec 01, 2020
Igbochief001:
Sir I know we must cut cost of governance but for me that's not the problem

Effective taxing system can easily give Nigeria $100 billion a year from tax

By barely looking at banks published revenue and profit ...I was able to see Nigeria is short changed by banks to the tune of over 1 trillion naira year ...

Not to talk about the oil sector .

Or transport sector

Effective taxing is the key sir

Bro Nigerian don't pay tax. Especially the rich that have their companies and live in luxury..

Govt should tax luxury car owners
Govt should device a means to tax PROPERLY company owners. People do business with profit in Millions and pay peanut as tax.
So so many areas....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 01, 2020
TheBeat:

Not really. Nigerians will be ready to pay more taxes if they are put to good use. You tax poor masses who are struggling to survive and loot the cash. Infact as it stands now, we are not supposed to be paying tax with the ongoing poor system. Poor roads, poor electricity, no water, no security etc. We simply tax 90% of Nigerians to service corrupt 10%. Look at how much our senators earn monthly. Even countries with robust economy don't pay that much.

My brother, did you read my post at all? You are attacking corrupt politicians when even the common man in Nigeria is corrupt? Are these senators and leaders not Nigerians? Or did corruption and mismanagement start with this government?

Next time, read everything before you comment. Cos I notice something about you "quoters". You just read first line, then quote to drop a misinformed reply. Reply that if you read the post again, you'll notice it has been replied. This is why I don't reply most mentions.

TheBeat:

You are actually the one that didn't read what you wrote. Problems are tackled from top down and not the other way round. Prudence on the part of governance means reducing corruption in the system. Look at the analogy you gave with iPhone. Even if we give Buhari £4k to buy the iPhone, they will loot £3.9k. Cutting cost of governance technically means ending corruption, restructuring the country, reforming systems and building strong institutions. I never said corruption started with this current government but we can't hold yesterday accountable for our current situation. We have today (Buhari government) to address tomorrow's ( future) problems. Buhari was actually wrong when he said change begins with you. Government everywhere sets the pace, gives directions with laws and policies.

My brother, the kind of rapid change you are talking about can only be achieved by a benevolent dictator under dictatorship and not under a corrupt democracy, like what's practised in Nigeria, which brings us back to CHANGE BEGINS WITH YOU.. President Buhari alone cannot make any meaningful change without the legislature and the judiciary. If these 2 key arms are corrupt, there's little the president can do.

Furthermore, the President needs people, as demanded by the constitution, to help run his government. Certainly, they'll be Nigerians.. Now tell me how President Mohammadu Buhari can singlehandedly change anything if the system is full of corrupt people? No matter how clean the President is, there's absolutely NOTHING he can do, that's it. His hands are tied.

However, if more Nigerians inculcate in themselves, the basic principle of honesty and integrity, then there'll be hope, that, at least, some of our representatives will be honest and will be ready to effect change and force corrupt elements to embrace change.

Otherwise, it's not going to happen. In democracy, the majority implement their will. The minority cannot. Only the President cannot. Only a governor cannot. It requires COLLECTIVE EFFORTS..

Only way the minority or the President can enforce change on the majority corrupt lot is in a dictatorship, and they have to be benevolent, otherwise, corruption can worsen under this system.

This is WHY CHANGE BEGINS WITH US, IN DEMOCRACY.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Princedapace(m): 3:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
Igbochief001:

By barely looking at banks published revenue and profit ...I was able to see Nigeria is short changed by banks to the tune of over 1 trillion naira year ...

Or transport sector

Oga, tax so that politicians will use it to buy luxurious cars, and pay Aso Rock Rent worth hundreds of millions yearly? Or use it to pay them selves outrageous allowances.

We need change our political structure to model that of the UK or the American system if living together is a must for us. Else no amount of money generated will be used to benefit the masses. Lie, lie
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by bigtt76(f): 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
Awon werey ....will they hear word? Cut down the cost of governance and other frivolous spending buh no ....they are there allocating money to N-Power, conditional cash transfer etc that have less impact to multitude out there.

This one say $5bn is too low ....shei e well so? Where FG wanget extra add?

IamHeWrites:
Former vice-presidential candidate Peter Obi has given out what can be described as a pathway to economic recovery, Igbere TV reports.

Mr Obi, who spoke on Arise TV on Monday, agreed that the recent recession which affected about 40 countries around the world was as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He however warned that the recession would bite harder on Nigeria because the country already had ‘underlying economic conditions’ ranging from extreme poverty to high unemployment rate, high number of out-of-school children, highest infant mortality rate and soaring incidences drug abuse, among others.

Obi explained that unlike the previous recession where Nigeria recklessly borrowed its way out, this present recession demands fiscal discipline for the country to scale through.

Igbere TV reports that he argued that the COVID-19 fiscal stimulus of about $5 billion provided by the Federal Government to recover the economy, was too low.

Comparing Nigeria with nations like India, Obi said they were spending around $300 billion to help them exit the recession, out of which $50 billion is for supporting small businesses. He further said that what was more worrisome, was the fact that even the little fiscal stimulus provided in Nigeria, was not getting to the right people and are not well accounted for too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWr_OSpvDY

Obi also suggested a private sector driven economy that would lift many financial burdens from the government.

https://twitter.com/ARISEtv/status/1333356202093391890?s=19
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Princedapace(m): 3:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
Changing our political system is the first step. We must adopt UK model and have 6 nations. Or we adopt the US model. That is the first step o. Else, the current system works for the leaders.

Prepare for next year, learn a solid skill and prepare for next year.. Even if u have a job, u can learn a a skill as side income to augument what u are earning and prepare for the future.

I teach 2d animation and how to freelance with the skill. I have results and I can show you that. Join my students and learn something to prepare for next year: You can read about this training on my thread here:

https://www.nairaland.com/6187186/lean-how-make-money-online
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by EdoFirstBorn(m): 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2020
[s]
ILoveDemMANNA:

This sounds so good to the ears for real.
But,
If India past 2 presidents were named OBJ and a certain Jonathan, along with a certain former minister of Petroleum (Madam Opolo eyes) they won't have all these BILLIONS of DOLLARS to fall back on and make life easier for their citizens, just like the stimulus package Trump gave some eligible Americans months ago,
It would have been looted dry by their past 2 presidents and their cronies.
#BitterTruth.
May God punish every politicians that have stolen from our national treasury.
No matter the party they are or keep jumping from.
They will all never end well for destroying the foundation of our nation.
[/s]

Is it hard for your brain to understand what he said?

We are talking about cutting cost of governance you are telling is of obj and gej are you sure you are okay?

Pls next time if you don't understand s comment don't just type keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
uptimum123:

Joker
Okay.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:
[s][/s]

You Ipob lot can elevate him to any height your imagination allows.

At the end, it would end in your imagination.
Shut up clown.

Before we talk one, this clown don call "Ipob".

Are you more useful to NIgeria than Ipob?

How many people do you employ? Do you pay taxes?

Clown.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 4:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:

President of Biafra maybe.

Is APC no longer an Islamic party?

After your likes poison the minds of the public you have the audacity to be asking same idiots to join a party.
He is a PDP man.
A former vice presidential candidate of your biggest national party.

APC cannot even afford him.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by GavelSlam: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2020
CSTRR:

Shut up clown.

Before we talk one, this clown don call "Ipob".

Are you more useful to NIgeria than Ipob?

How many people do you employ? Do you pay taxes?

Clown.

And Ipob employs.

Are you not Ipob?

Always ashamed of themselves.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 4:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:

And Ipob employs.

Are you not Ipob?

Always ashamed of themselves.
Shut up clown.

Ipob employs and pay taxes to NIgeria.

Ipob is more useful to NIgeria than you.

That is how pathetic you are.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by GavelSlam: 4:03pm On Dec 01, 2020
[s]
EdoFirstBorn:
[s][/s]

Is it hard for your brain to understand what he said?

We are talking about cutting cost of governance you are telling is of obj and gej are you sure you are okay?

Pls next time if you don't understand s comment don't just type keep quiet
[/s]

Shut up.

Cost of governance should be reduced only because it is unfair to the working public but it should also be noted that it would not end recession.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by GavelSlam: 4:04pm On Dec 01, 2020
[s]
CSTRR:

Shut up clown.

Ipob employs and pay taxes to NIgeria.

Ipob is more useful to NIgeria than you.

That is how pathetic you are.
[/s]

Ipob pays taxes?
grin

You know where the jokes section is.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:
[s][/s]

Ipob pays taxes?
grin

You know where the jokes section is.
Clown.

You absolutely have no clue.

Just vomiting nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by helinues: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
96six:
[s][/s]
why did you fork your harlot mother?

Rule 2

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:
[s][/s]

Shut up.

Cost of governance should be reduced only because it is unfair to the working public but it should also be noted that it would not end recession.
Another nonsense.

He has no clue.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by GavelSlam: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
[s]
CSTRR:

Clown.

You absolutely have no clue.

Just vomiting nonsense.

[/s]

Internet people of Biafra.

grin

Jokes.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by CSTRR: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:
[s][/s]

Internet people of Biafra.

grin

Jokes.
The Igbo Man that feeds you exists only on the Internet?

Clown.

Just keep typing Ipob. That is your mental ceiling.

Don't dabble into political or economic matters.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by TheBeat: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, did you read my post at all? You are attacking corrupt politicians when even the common man in Nigeria is corrupt? Are these senators and leaders not Nigerians? Or did corruption and mismanagement start with this government?

Next time, read everything before you comment. Cos I notice something about you "quoters". You just read first line, then quote to drop a misinformed reply. Reply that if you read the post again, you'll notice it has been replied. This is why I don't reply most mentions.
You are actually the one that didn't read what you wrote. Problems are tackled from top down and not the other way round. Prudence on the part of governance means reducing corruption in the system. Look at the analogy you gave with iPhone. Even if we give Buhari £4k to buy the iPhone, they will loot £3.9k. Cutting cost of governance technically means ending corruption, restructuring the country, reforming systems and building strong institutions. I never said corruption started with this current government but we can't hold yesterday accountable for our current situation. We have today (Buhari government) to address tomorrow's ( future) problems. Buhari was actually wrong when he said change begins with you. Government everywhere sets the pace, gives directions with laws and policies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by EdoFirstBorn(m): 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2020
GavelSlam:
[s][/s]

Shut up.

Shut up that dirty mouth you don't make any sense

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by gidado14(m): 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2020
Igbochief001:

Or transport sector

CHINA MAN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enugu Naval Base Update: Navy Says The Water Is Navigable, Wide & Strategic / Nigerian Most Corrupt Best 11 Team / Lagos Commissioner Quits To Join First-Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.