Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,549 members, 7,840,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) (15060 Views)

Peter Obi: Nigeria Needs Leaders With Genuine Identity, Verified Credentials / Peter Obi: Nigeria Now Ranks In The Same Place With Afghanistan,Yemen / Zainab Ahmed: Nigeria Will Exit Recession Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by 9japride(m): 10:51pm On Dec 01, 2020
Slate80:

[/color]

Thank you my bro, he is talking about taxes ,this is the time to reduce or eliminate taxes to help stimulate liquidity which will help stimulate growth. But no, to fund their lavish life style the will squeeze the masses of what ever little liquidity they have through multiple taxation thus stifling any way to bring growth thus leading to laying off is workers and businesses closing.

[color=#006600]

You are right, they should use the available funds to do something positive and when people see the good works, they will key into any tax programme. Our leaders are not sincere, the only solution to this messed up system which is futuristic, is by laying a good foundation for the present Nigerian children by teaching them good values and reprogramming them to act like normal humans because what most Nigerians exhibit lately is mostly animalistic behaviors.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by 9japride(m): 10:52pm On Dec 01, 2020
amuwo1980:

Don’t mind the fellow , he is just talking for talking sake
[color=#006600][/color]

I don't blame him, talk is free, anyone can just make noise. Our system is corrupt.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by 9japride(m): 10:56pm On Dec 01, 2020
Igbochief001:

Yes I have checked ...it's nothing ..infact we need to spend more
[color=#006600][/color]

OK they should spend it tongue
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by PropertyBuying(f): 4:04am On Dec 02, 2020
orunto27:
Obi is right. Reduce NASS Salaries and Allowances by 50%.
Really very necessary if he reduction is our entire over bloated public and civil services.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by calcal: 4:44am On Dec 02, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv1iucRbp2s

The brave OBAS. GOD BLESS YOU ALL

CAN YORUBA OBAS DO SAME?

I THINK NO, THEY EVEN AFRAID OF STANDING NEAR ODUA FLAG TALKLESS OF HOLDING IT
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by chozzy: 5:24am On Dec 02, 2020
orunto27:
Obi is right. Reduce NASS Salaries and Allowances by 50%.

Also presidency and entire executive.

The president alone has 15 media aides, why?
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 02, 2020
Esseite:
We need to introduce the mortgage system into the middle class real quick for faster trickle to the lower income.. that can easily take us away from recession, poverty capital and expand the middle class bracket while reducing unemployment and corruption.

BANK never fit give loans finish na mortgage system you dey propose.
National identification is still far fetched from becoming a reality, you don't even know where you next neighbor's is coming from, thugs, terrorists, invading the border, illegal immigrants everywhere you don't even know who is a real Nigerian.
Political instability.
Insecurity in every corner of the country.
Unemployment rate keep increasing in a very wide margin.
Access to loan for start up to entrepreneurs zero.
I even learnt that a lot of the middle class is shrinking exponentially to a down turn.
It will be suicidal to even think of such policy to begin with.
No organization will stake such risk in a country like Nigeria.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Nobody: 7:33am On Dec 02, 2020
TalkTalkTwins:
Someone above me suggested taxes be increased, and I'm wondering.
I'm a freelance writer and this government has never supported me in any way.
No electricity, no good network, I spend more than 15k on data per month.

Yet, they use other people's taxes to fund SARS and oppress us.
The Police and Army who fuel their vehicles with our taxes are our greatest night mares.
Children of politicians are funded with our taxes to travel abroad, study and come home to work on CBN, NNPC, FRSC and every other big organization.

No good healthcare, data is very expensive, no roads, nothing.
And you want taxes increased? So the dancing senator can get another Ferrari? That's pathetic bro undecided
So the dancing senator can get another Ferrari? That's pathetic
The bolded got me laughing off my ribs.
grin grin
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by TheBeat: 10:04am On Dec 02, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, the kind of rapid change you are talking about can only be achieved by a benevolent dictator under dictatorship and not under a corrupt democracy, like what's practised in Nigeria, which brings us back to CHANGE BEGINS WITH YOU.. President Buhari alone cannot make any meaningful change without the legislature and the judiciary. If these 2 key arms are corrupt, there's little the president can do.

Furthermore, the President needs people, as demanded by the constitution, to help run his government. Certainly, they'll be Nigerians.. Now tell me how President Mohammadu Buhari can singlehandedly change anything if the system is full of corrupt people? No matter how clean the President is, there's absolutely NOTHING he can do, that's it. His hands are tied.

However, if more Nigerians inculcate in themselves, the basic principle of honesty and integrity, then there'll be hope, that, at least, some of our representatives will be honest and will be ready to effect change and force corrupt elements to embrace change.

Otherwise, it's not going to happen. In democracy, the majority implement their will. The minority cannot. Only the President cannot. Only a governor cannot. It requires COLLECTIVE EFFORTS..

Only way the minority or the President can enforce change on the majority corrupt lot is in a dictatorship, and they have to be benevolent, otherwise, corruption can worsen under this system.

This is WHY CHANGE BEGINS WITH US, IN DEMOCRACY.
I beg to disagree. I bet you have never been to a place with working system. Appointees watch the body language of their principals. The change begins with the head which is the president. Governance revolves around PDCA, which stands for Plan, Do, Check, Act. What it simply means is that you have a strong plan, build a strong system, monitor the implementation, review the operation and implement the findings....the cycle goes on and on. Buhari actually lacks the intellectual capacity to govern and his appointees know this. Whatever character you exhibit as a leader will be driven down to the least of your followers. How can you appoint a minister and charge him on reforming say for example the transport sector and you don't hand him or have key performance indicators to know how he is doing the assigned task. Check Peter Obi and how he monitored his projects, Check Rotimi Amaechi during his time as Rivers state governor, Check Fashiola when he was Lagos State governor. You don't just answer the president and feel you can hand over governance or responsibilities to ministers and feel there's no need to be accountable or hold them accountable.
On the issue of not controlling judiciary and legislative arms, you are not completely right about it especially in this our current system. Executives actually influence other arms. Presidents have ways of getting others buy into your ideas. How many bills have you submitted, how many times have you issued executive order? I don't mean media propaganda. Someone created Efcc and if you think that it is not working, reforming it. Systems should be strong enough to drive itself and eliminate corruption.
In rivers state during the time of Peter Odili for an example, corps members are paid 3 months after service by cash. If you don't come or come late, the corrupt NYSC officials or your fellow ex-corps members will arrange and take your cash. This is a weak system that encourages corruption. Humans everywhere will always have this corruption propensity unless you put a strong system or law to check these acts. Back to Rivers state, Amaechi came on board and said that the money will be paid through the same Account corps members used to receive their allowances and today, no more complaints. So it's either the leaders do not know due to incompetence or they allowed it due to corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 02, 2020
TheBeat:

I beg to disagree. I bet you have never been to a place with working system.

My brother, reread the post you quoted. You will still get the answer to this..

Every other thing cited here is a conjecture and misinformation. Buhari lacks the capacity? Perhaps, Goodluck Jonathan, Obj and Yaradua who "have the capacity" ended corruption or reduced it to the barest minimum, right?

And the judiciary, President Buhari has the power to instruct it to jail corrupt politicians, right? As per Buhari is the Chief Justice of Nigeria and a mobile judge that will go from court to court, dictating who goes to jail or not, who is guilty or not, right? LOL.. It's not a must you argue. If you don't have points to make, read and move on and stop making conjectures.

At a point, you even emphasized my point that the "leaders(governors, senators, etc) allowed it due to corruption" .. The reason being that when the absolute majority of the people are corrupt, chances of electing corrupt officials are extremely high. This is one of the disadvantages of democracy. If only the President is willing, and the governors aren't, the senators aren't, there's nothing he can do. Only a benevolent dictator can achieve the desirable change under a dictatorship system. Otherwise, we should vote in men of integrity and honesty, like Governor Zulum, who are ready to work and engineer positive change. It's only when we have more of such people in high and sensitive positions that we can experience any such change. But here's the problem, how many Nigerians are as honest as Zulum(not saying he's perfect)? How many are incorruptible? What you are saying that corrupt politicians should end corruption, LOL..

Now this leads us back to the post you quoted. It has already answered this. But for some reasons, you just want to "disagree" no matter what.. But it's not a must. If you don't like a fact, you simply move on.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by TheBeat: 6:35pm On Dec 03, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, reread the post you quoted. You will still get the answer to this..

Every other thing cited here is a conjecture and misinformation. Buhari lacks the capacity? Perhaps, Goodluck Jonathan, Obj and Yaradua who "have the capacity" ended corruption or reduced it to the barest minimum, right?

And the judiciary, President Buhari has the power to instruct it to jail corrupt politicians, right? As per Buhari is the Chief Justice of Nigeria and a mobile judge that will go from court to court, dictating who goes to jail or not, who is guilty or not, right? LOL.. It's not a must you argue. If you don't have points to make, read and move on and stop making conjectures.

At a point, you even emphasized my point that the "leaders(governors, senators, etc) allowed it due to corruption" .. The reason being that when the absolute majority of the people are corrupt, chances of electing corrupt officials are extremely high. This is one of the disadvantages of democracy. If only the President is willing, and the governors aren't, the senators aren't, there's nothing he can do. Only a benevolent dictator can achieve the desirable change under a dictatorship system. Otherwise, we should vote in men of integrity and honesty, like Governor Zulum, who are ready to work and engineer positive change. It's only when we have more of such people in high and sensitive positions that we can experience any such change. But here's the problem, how many Nigerians are as honest as Zulum(not saying he's perfect)? How many are incorruptible? What you are saying that corrupt politicians should end corruption, LOL..

Now this leads us back to the post you quoted. It has already answered this. But for some reasons, you just want to "disagree" no matter what.. But it's not a must. If you don't like a fact, you simply move on.
Enjoy your day bro
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Fhemmmy: 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2020
Igbochief001:
Sir I know we must cut cost of governance but for me that's not the problem

Effective taxing system can easily give Nigeria $100 billion a year from tax

By barely looking at banks published revenue and profit ...I was able to see Nigeria is short changed by banks to the tune of over 1 trillion naira year ...

Not to talk about the oil sector .

Or transport sector

Effective taxing is the key sir

Even if Nigeria is able to raise Billions of $$$$ from taxes and Nigeria start to pay their taxes religiously, without a cut to the cost of running the government, it will NEVER be enough.
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 03, 2020
Fhemmmy:

Even if Nigeria is able to raise Billions of $$$$ from taxes and Nigeria start to pay their taxes religiously, without a cut to the cost of running the government, it will NEVER be enough.
Democracy is an expensive form of government we need like 14 trillion a year to run this country effectively ...that's recurrent expenditure ooh
Re: Peter Obi: Nigeria Must Cut Cost Of Governance To Exit Recession (Video) by Fhemmmy: 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2020
Igbochief001:

Democracy is an expensive form of government we need like 14 trillion a year to run this country effectively ...that's recurrent expenditure ooh

Yes, it is expensive but we don't need most of all that we put together without even a form of checkmating things . . . .We just spend without any form of QA . . . . . for example, do we really need the number of senators and states?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Vows To Protect Binani’s Victory, Urges INEC To Allow Court Process / Why PDP's Plateau Governor Will Be Sacked At Supreme Court - Woye1 / Anambra Governorship Election To Hold November 18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.