Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? (46196 Views)

Let Us Create Man In Our Own Image, Who Was God Referring To? / Church Of England Wants To Stop Referring To God As ‘he’, ‘him’ And ‘our Father' / "Come Let's Have Sex" Church Crusade Poster (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by RuddyFusion(m): 10:33am On Dec 06, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
John 1:1-3 (KJV)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

That meeting in the beginning was a meeting of the highest order of heaven. It involved the Three in one Person.

The Father, the Word (which later became flesh in Jesus) and the Spirit.

The Word and Spirit belongs to the Father and They were both instrumental in the Work He did in the beginning. The Word came out of His Mouth, and the Spirit performed the Word.

So when God said let Us make man in our Own image, the "Us" referred to Word and the Spirit which He used to make the things He made in the beginning.

He also used "let Us" in the Instance of the tower of babel, where the one language of the world was divided. It involved the same Word and the Spirit which He used to make things in the beginning, hence after the same Word was made flesh, and was multiplied after His death, and the Spirit of God performed the Word that had multiplied, they were able to speak in the one language that was divided because of the tower of Babel when God used the term, "let Us" as He did in the beginning.

God doesn't consult with the angels concerning any plans He has, He just makes decisions and gives them instructions to carry out. The angels weren't involved in the making of things in the beginning so God couldn't have been talking to them but those involved which was His Word and His Spirit.

God bless.
what he meant here is that the angels were present and not that they contributed. I think he's correct
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Jiokejohn: 10:33am On Dec 06, 2020
MrPRevailer:

Jesus is God
QED!
Bible stated and clarified so.
Read Hebrew chapter 1 : 1 - 14 comprehensively.
I lay emphasis on verse 8 and 9.
{Hebrews 1:8-9
[8]But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
[9]You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”}
When words are written in quotes, we know what it implies, who is speaking, who is referring and who is being directed to.
Please, let us read and become wiser.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by thinkmoney(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2020
Jiokejohn:

I commend you. But I disagree with you.
My Bible rightly emphasized that Jesus Christ is GOD.
Just that Jesus Christ is embodiment of humility while physically present on it.
{if you need clarifications, I will explain with biblical facts and quotations.}
Be careful of the antics of Satan. The majority of Christendom claims Trinity is the corner Stone of their faith. But the Bible made us know that the majority of Christendom will perish. In and amonst them is the fulfilment of false doctrines that will arise.
Jesus cried, prayed to God (God never prayed to anybody), wished the cup of death could be taken away, DIED literally and to all purpose (else his sacrifice would have been a scam and inadequate, for somebody sinless must die to save the world) but God never sleeps or slumper, lacks the knowledge of the exact time of the end ( if he were in God, won't he naturally have that knowledge?), He didn't leave us in doubt when he said he was sent and he is lesser than God the sender, he also said he is ascending to God is Lord our Lord is God our God (no minscing words about the relationship even as it applied to we humans, moreover when Stephen was dying, in fulfillment of a prophesy didnt see one person with three heads in heaven but saw Jesus sat beside God in glory, a distinct entity even in heaven. Revelation buttressed this when he said Jesus like a slain lamp, took his sacrifice and presented it before God in heaven.
Nobody can see the almighty God and live, but many people have seen the mighty god Jesus, touched him and even at least on one occasion kissed him. Hallelujah
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by ibinaboonline: 10:34am On Dec 06, 2020
I'm appalled at the many people here who seems to know how Jesus was created. Wow. The next step is to tell us how God came to being. Good luck with that. Yes, Jesus is God's creation. He is not equal with God but He is God. That very well is confirmed in the Bible. How is that difficult for some people to accept when the Bible refers to human beings as "gods". (See John 10:35) Surely, God was referring to Jesus when He said Let Us make man in Our own image because another passage confirms that everything that was created was created through Jesus. Jesus also said if you've seen Him, you've seen the Father (God). The Bible says Jesus is the "express image of God" which means Jesus is the physical representation of God. You think it's a big deal that He was born of God or created by God, He is God's arms and legs and eyes etc. Very similar to what Christians are in the world today. Even human beings, what we will be is just mind blowing because at that time, we will see Him as He really is.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by jaxxy(m): 10:34am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:
Why is it that only Christian understand this passage differently . Every other culture or tradition on earth has the original idea..

Man is a composite creation made up of spirit of God + dust of the earth..

If you continue reading you will see where it says God formed man from the dust of the earth and breathed in to his nostrils and man became a living soul..all the creation myth in Nigeria says the same thing. Obatala made human from mud of the earth and called olodumare to animate them. Same with the Igbo creation . the Gods Igwe and Ala....

God was talking to the earth. Or mother nature..

Not any fictitious jesus..

At the end of the day u didn’t even answer the main question. undecided

Just in a hurry to dispute what Christians think. undecided
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Nyanabo(m): 10:35am On Dec 06, 2020
Janosky:

Job38:1-7 says Enilove is very confused cheesy grin.

Job 38:4-7 and Hebrews 1:2,
Where the angels present when Yahweh created the Universe THROUGH His Son?
Bros ,go and learn the meaning of Greek1223 "Dia" (in English, THROUGH, by means of"wink in Hebrews1:2, John 1:2 etc.

Genesis 1:27 and 5:1-2 , did Jesus confirm it @ Matthew 19:4?
Did Jesus confirm Genesis 5:1-2 & 1:27?
Bros no see the Creation happen, but Jesus see am & confirmed what he saw.
Why should I believe your FALSE claim? cheesy grin

Bros, you are confused, shine your eyes.
Genesis 1:26, who gave the Command ?
What does Genesis 1:27 & Genesis 5:1-2 say about Him ?
Matthew19:4, John 20:17,what did Jesus confirm about the Creator

grin

You Are Indeed Confused. what part of the LET US didn't you understand the LET or the US

1 Like

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Awoo88: 10:36am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:
Why is it that only Christian understand this passage differently . Every other culture or tradition on earth has the original idea..

If you continue reading you will see where it says God formed man from the dust of the earth and breathed in to his nostrils and man became a living soul..all the creation myth in Nigeria says the same thing. Obatala made human from mud of the earth and called olodumare to animate them. Same with the Igbo creation . the Gods Igwe and Ala....

What mother earth was God talking to? And how is Jesus fictitious??
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by freshboi88: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2020
thinkmoney:

Who builds a house? The laborers or the contractor directing them. The Bible is clear in the new testament, I think Corinthians that God created all things but through Jesus. God created Jesus directed, however he used him to create all other things. Proverbs 8 made us understand better that Jesus was a chief worker besides God. God it's obvious is the grand creator. Jesus made it clear every where that he is less than God, hence not a part of an triune God.
That's what the Bible expressly thought

Where did proverbs 8 tell us Jesus was a chief worker?....I have gone through the chapter several times and I cannot find Jesus's name mentioned in the whole chapter
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by wwwtortoise(m): 10:38am On Dec 06, 2020
I have always pondered on this creation story with a hundred and one questions popping in my mind at same time.

After consuming many books on philosophy and theology (the hole bible inclusive), I came to a subjective conclusion that -

Man is a precise/conscious effort by God himself and an Equal to God.

Now that his equal can be called the HOLY SPIRIT.

Notice prior to the collaborated creation of man, God spoke other things to existence - Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: And there was light.

But when He wanted to create man he summoned an equal (Holy Spirit).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Sunnydoo: 10:41am On Dec 06, 2020
The scripture answers many of our questions and if anything seems unclear to us, we are to seek His face to knowing them just as Daniel did.

These few passages answers some, while we shall know in full if we eventually make heaven.

Proverbs Chapter 8:22-31.
22The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
24When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
25Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
26While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
27When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
30Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
31Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by femi4: 10:42am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:

Over the bar....God was talking to someone that was with him. "Let us"

And John 1:1 confirmed that Jesus was with God during creation
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Obito555(m): 10:44am On Dec 06, 2020
Get a book copy of "In The Light Of Truth, The Grail Message " it explain all earthly questions

2 Likes

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by 9iceprince(m): 10:45am On Dec 06, 2020
Who was there when God said so, religion my foot.

1 Like

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by freshboi88: 10:47am On Dec 06, 2020
God was talking to Jesus and The Holy Spirit. Period.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by inwahiwe: 10:47am On Dec 06, 2020
The problematic phrase Moses left for the uninitiated. "Let us"
In Jewish mysticism, there are forty nine levels of understanding, Moses attained forty eight.
So stop bothering your head. Unless you want to seek wisdom
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Myer(m): 10:47am On Dec 06, 2020
divinemichael:
I ask this question, because of the teachings of certain sects and religious groups, such as Islam who claims Christ was just a prophet, the Jehovah witness who claim Christ is angel michael, and some other groups who try to discredit and deny the divinity and preexistence of Christ.

I presume God's statement (come lets make man in our own image) in the book of "Genesis" was directed to Christ and possibly the holy spirit which is a proof for the doctrine of trinity...

Anyway if there's a contrary probative opinion with cogent evidences, am ready to learn and be corrected.

Why do you like to create confusions for yourselves.

No where in the bible is this question answered. All you will get is people's eisegesis.

Some claim because of trinity, God was referring to the Holyspirit and Jesus (His Word).

Some claim he was referring to the Angel's. Although we do not confirm that Angel's share the same image and likeness with God.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by femi4: 10:48am On Dec 06, 2020
divinemichael:
I ask this question, because of the teachings of certain sects and religious groups, such as Islam who claims Christ was just a prophet, the Jehovah witness who claim Christ is angel michael, and some other groups who try to discredit and deny the divinity and preexistence of Christ.

I presume God's statement (come lets make man in our own image) in the book of "Genesis" was directed to Christ and possibly the holy spirit which is a proof for the doctrine of trinity...

Anyway if there's a contrary probative opinion with cogent evidences, am ready to learn and be corrected.
John 1:1 answered it perfectly. Any other explanation is a fallacy

In the beginning the Word already existed; the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Jiokejohn: 10:49am On Dec 06, 2020
thinkmoney:

Be careful of the antics of Satan. The majority of Christendom claims Trinity is the corner Stone of their faith. But the Bible made us know that the majority of Christendom will perish. In and amonst them is the fulfilment of false doctrines that will arise.
Jesus cried, prayed to God (God never prayed to anybody), wished the cup of death could be taken away, DIED literally and to all purpose (else his sacrifice would have been a scam and inadequate, for somebody sinless must die to save the world) but God never sleeps or slumper, lacks the knowledge of the exact time of the end ( if he were in God, won't he naturally have that knowledge?), He didn't leave us in doubt when he said he was sent and he is lesser than God the sender, he also said he is ascending to God is Lord our Lord is God our God (no minscing words about the relationship even as it applied to we humans, moreover when Stephen was dying, in fulfillment of a prophesy didnt see one person with three heads in heaven but saw Jesus sat beside God in glory, a distinct entity even in heaven. Revelation buttressed this when he said Jesus like a slain lamp, took his sacrifice and presented it before God in heaven.
Nobody can see the almighty God and live, but many people have seen the mighty god Jesus, touched him and even at least on one occasion kissed him. Hallelujah
For clarification, Jesus Christ was on earth to fulfill a mission. Never to express or manifest His GOD nature. He chose part of humility.
Read Hebrew 1:1-14.
According to the scripture, Hebrew 1:8&9, Almighty GOD called Jesus Christ, 'GOD'.
Below is my reference:
Hebrews 1:8-9
[8]But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
[9]You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
This is not my claim. It is biblical text. Everyone can read and understand. If Almighty GOD could exalt Jesus Christ to the position of calling Him 'GOD', who am I not to call Jesus Christ 'GOD'?
{If I got it wrong, please redirect or clarify}
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:49am On Dec 06, 2020
Papichulostunne:
Catholic i pressume.. Glory to Jesus
No chance...

But glory to God all the same!

1 Like

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by lomprico(m): 10:49am On Dec 06, 2020
divinemichael:

Nope, the creators was talking to each other (other Gods, like yahweh, buddha, Sango, amadioha, hindi, etc) they all created man in their own images, that's why there are different races. the creation story in genesis chapter 1 is a general story how the gods created the whole world.

in genesis chapter 2, it's a detailed story on how yahweh, the Christian God created his own people the Jews and the bible story about the Jews continued from there.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by happYFingers(m): 10:52am On Dec 06, 2020
jesusjnr2020:

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

That meeting in the beginning was a meeting of the highest order of heaven. It involved the Three in one Person.

The Word and Spirit belongs to the Father and They were both instrumental in the Work He did in the beginning. The Word came out of His Mouth, and the Spirit performed the Word.

So when God said let Us make man in our Own image, the "Us" referred to Word and the Spirit which He used to make the things He made in the beginning.

He also used "let Us" in the Instance of the tower of babel, where the one language of the world was divided. It involved the same Word and the Spirit which He used to make things in the beginning, hence after the same Word was made flesh, and was multiplied after His death, and the Spirit of God performed the Word that had multiplied, they were able to speak in the one language that was divided because of the tower of Babel when God used the term, "let Us" as He did in the beginning.

God doesn't consult with the angels concerning any plans He has, He just makes decisions and gives them instructions to carry out. The angels weren't involved in the making of things in the beginning so God couldn't have been talking to them but those involved which was His Word and His Spirit.

God bless.

Exactly,

GEN 1:2b-3
The spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters(earth then).
"And God said" whatever he created, he did with his WORD/BREATH OF LIFE.

No wonder Christ said sanctify them with your word Father cos your Word is "THE TRUTH".

Remember He said; I am THE WAY, THE TRUTH & THE LIFE.

Now see 1john 5:7
For there are THREE that bear record in heaven,
THE FATHER THE WORD & THE HOLY SPIRIT and these Three are ONE. (no wonder God had to crave their indulgence them when creating man).
Read verse 8. And there are THREE that bear witness in earth, the spirit, the water and the blood and this 3 also agree in ONE(these 3 make up the man.

Now listen:
1)
Can any being be called complete man without his spirit dwelling in him(mad man) ? NO !
2)
Can any living being called man without blood in his system survive ? NO !
3)
Do you not know that your blood is made up of more than 70% water ?

So these three must be present, else the person is not a complete MAN.

AGAIN WHY DO PEOPLE find IT difficult to BELIEVE that GOD is 3 PERSONALITIES working as One ?
Let me ask them this:
Is it humanly possible for Godwin, a son of Mr Ajikawo, a brother to Toyin, an engineer living in Lagos who is ready to find a wife, decide to go to Orlu in IMO state and be known as a brick layer to find a wife that will love him sincerely for who he is (a mason) ?

Now if it's possible for same person as Godwin, a son of Mr Ajikawo, a brother to Toyin who was originally an engineer to disguise himself as ordinary mason for the "love of his life" as a human, why do people FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT IMMANUEL (God with us, the Everlasting Father, the Mighty God according to Is 9:6 ) cannot do same to reconcile we His love(john 3:16) to Himself ?

At the end of the day, those who has been chosen will agree with me that;

GOD THOUGHT IT, JESUS CHRIST BOUGHT IT & THE HOLY SPIRIT WROUGHT IT.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by ifenes(m): 10:52am On Dec 06, 2020
His fellow Extraterrestrials

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by femi4: 10:53am On Dec 06, 2020
thinkmoney:

While on Earth, He displayed both attributes of Man and God. He was both according to John 1:14

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Michoous: 10:54am On Dec 06, 2020
MrPRevailer:

Colossians 1:16 "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Very selective in your scripture quotation.Why didn't you start from verse 15?
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by Dreyton36: 10:54am On Dec 06, 2020
Listen to all those yeye preachings at ur own peril

I still ask again

1.. who's the holy Spirit

2.. who wrote the Bible, don't tell me three wise men , or are you tryna tell me ordinary humans wrote the Bible ?

What are Their names , and how come other churches like Jehovah witness have their own different Bible ,who wrote their own
Or aren't they Christians too ?

Why do they have different beliefs

Y'all are just being blind and will forever remain blind

And someone will surely reply me saying "may they Lord forgive you cuz u don't know what u saying" without being able to answer my questions mtcheeeeeew

That one nor mean say I no go chop una Christmas rice sha

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:55am On Dec 06, 2020
Thank you, daddy.. ❤❤❤
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by sonofElElyon: 10:56am On Dec 06, 2020
Holy Spirit!
Standing5:
The father the son and the HS
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by sucrosedaddy(m): 10:57am On Dec 06, 2020
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
Flesh and blood didn't reveal this on to you �
God bless you too

1 Like

Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by AustineJohn908(m): 10:57am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:

So you mean God comes from clay?
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by AustineJohn908(m): 10:58am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:

So you mean God comes from clay? cause as you say Humans come clay
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by AustineJohn908(m): 10:59am On Dec 06, 2020
sonmvayina:

So you mean God comes from clay? cause as you say Humans come clay.
Re: Who Was God Referring To, When He Said Come Let's Make Man In Our Own Image? by thinkmoney(m): 11:01am On Dec 06, 2020
Jiokejohn:

For clarification, Jesus Christ was on earth to fulfill a mission. Never to express or manifest His GOD nature. He chose part of humility.
Read Hebrew 1:1-14.
According to the scripture, Hebrew 1:8&9, Almighty GOD called Jesus Christ, 'GOD'.
Below is my reference:
Hebrews 1:8-9
[9]You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
This is not my claim. It is biblical text. Everyone can read and understand.
{If I got it wrong, please redirect or clarify}
You got that Bible verse completely right, but it goes beyond me many at times how you people manage to ignore even the Bible u quote.
The Bible made it clear that several people and angels even devil were referred to as gods. God means sombody Devine and/or powerful. The verse 9 of the Hebrew you quoted like John, mentioned 2 (not even 3) gods...it then however and rather gloriously said THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD AS ANOINTED (which means appointed/mandated/honor) YOU...
See the almighty God, the supreme, anoited this mighty god Jesus.
Like Jehovah God was a God to the mighty god Jesus, he is to us the one and only Almighty God. The absolute, the God we alone together with other lesser powerful beings (gods) including Jesus worship. No other God can be worshiped though there are countless others.
That's why Exodus said Jehovah YOUR GOD oh Israel is one Jehovah.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ghanaian Herbalist Lands In Hospital After Testing His Powers Aganist Bullets / Jollof Rice Made Me Go To UNN – Pastor Adeboye / Muslim Man Praying Before A Church Banner (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.