Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,014 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization (13983 Views)

Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / Emir Of Kano: His 2 Rolls Royces At The Center Of The Controversy (PHOTOS) / Europe & Americas Stole And Denied Africa’s Civilization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Ideadoctor(m): 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2020
Yes,what is wrote up there is the truth, Yorubas are way superior,their dominance is a testimony, you should even be glad that you shared Yoruba blood

2 Likes

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

You guys really dont know benin history do you

Here is a screenshot from gregyboy
Oba eweka11 agreeing ooni of ife was oghene n uhe, who he used to pray to

I can explain beyond this because if i do i will only make you guys more confused

You have ti learn it yourself
I will give you one screenshot you can ask Tao11 to give you more

Just ask her Tao11 give me quote were benin obas admitted to be from ife

Wahala she will flood you with it

1) When quoting a paper, provide access to it(the whole thing). It might help you sound more educated.
2) The paper is not written by an eye witness, rather by a person who claims an other person heard or saw something.
3) How does "praying for all yoruba kings and praying for himself" imply that the Oba is paying hommage to the ooni of ife and the alafin of oyo ?
4) We haven't even taken a look at the fact Oba Eweka2 lived in an era in which the locals of the region were literate, if Oba Eweka paid hommage to the ooni of ife or the alafin of oyo, there would be written records including from Oba Eweka himself or his sons among whom Oba Akenzua !

I really hate discussing with you guys on nairaland, your brains are almost empty.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny:

I am not "black" I am mixed race of Igbo & English heritage.

I don't know why you people love to over exaggerate Benin's scope of influence.
Perhaps a small minority of independent Igbo villages west of the Niger paid tribute to the Oba's its likely, but the Igbos were not a united entity.
Talk case specific and stop saying Benin ruled everyone and their ancestors abeg angry
Next you will tell us that the ancient Egyptians also paid tribute...

What Benin Empire?!?!?
It was a kingdom get a grip man.

lack of firepower is no excuse for lack of resistance, Benin folded in 9 days... 9 freaking days
Anglo-Xhosa wars took 100 years to finally conclude.
The Anglo-Ashanti wars lasted for 76 years, ending at the beginning of the 20th century.
The Zulus wiped out the British at Isandlwana, worst defeat by the British at the hands of an inferior foe.
Anglo-Aro war lasted 1 year & yet the majority of Igbos still resisted British conquest.
Ekumeku resistance fought the British for 31 years.

Benin had many warriors but their tactics, superstition and leadership caused their quick demise.

1) Actually the Anglo-Xhosa wars were several conflicts, not a single war. I know it arranges your argument to just make it one war and have it start at the beginning of the first war and end at the beginning of the last war. It is though amazing that you thought you would fool everybody with this crooked method.
2) If we shall go by your methods, then we shall say that the Benin-britain war lasted for 3 years. Indeed the first battle was in 1895 when Benin killed some british officers and their canon fodders who were trying to overthrow the Oba of Benin. That was the excuse the british used to justify the next conflict which started 2 years later.
3) Again, the anglo-ashanti wars were several conflicts, not just one !
4) Some Benin generals did continue the fight after the fall of Benin city.

And nobody is exagerating the scope of Benin, it is recorded in precolonial maps, in precolonial notes and all. Reading these precolonial documents is not synonymous to "exagerating".

I think you have low self-esteem issues. And you are extremely dumb. I didn't read all you wrote, In two sentences of your write up, I already had two much inaccurate claims of yours to write about.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

nothing I have said is controversial, Oyo never reached Ghana through conquest that is just an outright lie... even the map shows it only goes as far as the Benin Republic, maybe Togo... but certainly not Ghana.

The region was still a Yoruba region controlled by smaller Yoruba kingdoms regardless.

A kingdom in decline is still a kingdom indeed, Britain started to decline after WW1, yet the empire grew larger post WW2... decline does not mean complete collapse.

Oyo was nor an emire it was a kingdom made by a confederacy

Qualities which defies oyo to be ancempire

An empire is noticeable: oyo was said to be an empire after the Europeans have settled in nigeria for abour 100yrs and yet it wasn't noticeable to the British or European, what kind of empire is that

It never had military or economic sovereignty over it vassal

All vassal refused they were ruled by oyo or even deniel oyo having sovereignty over it

Only dahomey claim and accept such account, the part oyo ruled on dahomey was the yorubas soeaking part who had migrated due to war
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 07, 2020
My mom prays for me, i guess it means she is paying hommage to me ?
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Abovebonny3: 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

An empire is noticeable: oyo was said to be an empire after the Europeans have settled in nigeria for abour 100yrs and yet it wasn't noticeable to the British or European, what kind of empire is that

All vassal refused they were ruled by oyo or even deniel oyo having sovereignty over it

Only dahomey claim and accept such account, the part oyo ruled on dahomey was the yorubas soeaking part who had migrated due to war

I Agree with you, I have been arguing that Oyo was not an empire, just like Benin

2 Likes

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:09pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

1) When quoting a paper, provide access to it(the whole thing). It might help you sound more educated.
2) The paper is not written by an eye witness, rather by a person who claims an other person heard or saw something.
3) How does "praying for all yoruba kings and praying for himself" imply that the Oba is paying hommage to the ooni of ife and the alafin of oyo ?
4) We haven't even taken a look at the fact Oba Eweka2 lived in an era in which the locals of the region were literate, if Oba Eweka paid hommage to the ooni of ife or the alafin of oyo, there would be written records including from Oba Eweka himself or his sons among whom Oba Akenzua !

I really hate discussing with you guys on nairaland, your brains are almost empty.

Bro that's why i told you not to defend what you know nothing off because our oba said so, dont forget they are humans like us, they can twist anything for thier own favour

The truth is benin-ife never meant why not go to gregboy profile and study yourself

You can expect me to teach you the truth, find it yourself the more you read on benin history the more the truth becomes obvious

Go and read

A reconsideration of Benin-ife connection by afc ryder

Oduduwa, ekaladeran, were myth

Go and learn your history before you begin to debate

Am a scholar in benin, yoruba history too

It pains me i see you guys playing some political chess put foward by two kings
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

Bro that's why i told you not to defend what you know nothing off because our oba said so, dont forget they are humans like us, they can twist anything for thier own favour

The truth is benin-ife never meant why not go to gregboy profile and study yourself

You can expect me to teach you the truth, find it yourself the more you read on benin history the more the truth becomes obvious

Go and read

A reconsideration of Benin-ife connection by afc ryder

Oduduwa, ekaladeran, were myth

Go and learn your history before you begin to debate

Am a scholar in benin, yoruba history too

It pains me i see you guys playing some political chess put foward by two kings

wtf are you talking about ? Are you on drugs right now ?

Where did you see me defend a claim just because the Oba said so ?

I really don't know who you are talking to.

try and make some sense when you talk. Right now, what you are saying doesn't make sense at all.
And you even dared to call yourself a scholar and tell me you can teach me, you don't even know me. You are just extremely retarded.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:14pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

I Agree with you, I have been arguing that Oyo was not an empire, just like Benin

Benin is an empire, it ruled outiside it tribe, igbo, kogi, urhobo, esan, yoruba and he had military power, economic power, social and cultural influences over vassal sate

And the sit of piwer was a city

Benin Kingdom is restricted to benin and its surrounding villages inside benin

Benin empire is areas like esan, urhobo, ijaw, ibos, yorubas areas it controlled

And it was noticeable
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

try and make some sense when you talk. Right now, what you are saying doesn't make sense at all.
And you even dared to call yourself a scholar and tell me you can teach me, you don't even know me. You are just extremely retarded.

We know your type

What do you know in benin history apart from tge usual myth
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:23pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

Ooh your account is new probably here to cause confusion, i bet you're a yoruba guy disgusing as benin
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

We know your type

What do you know in benin history apart from tge usual myth

You know my "type", you mean this type :

bonjovi787:
Oduduwa is a myth, he never existed, he was created by people who knew how gullible nigerians are.
Lack of education makes some people in nigeria to still believe there was an oduduwa.

It is just a made up story !

Basically many nigerians lack the ability to think logically. They are ready to believe any cook and bull story without even asking for proof.
This is one of the reasons rumors spread easily in nigeria, low IQ, lack of education...

There was never an oduduwa !

You need to work on how to use your brain. The only thing which is going for you right now is that the yoruba are just as dumb as you. If any of them were smarter, you would crumble. Get some itelligence into that brain of yours before you meet an intelligent yoruba.

Also, how logical is it to just strat making assumptions on a person whom you do not know and have never met ?
"We know your type" ?
How dumb is that ?
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by DenreleDave(m): 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2020
Etrusen:

keep quiet If you have nothing to say

U r seriously pained right s

Sorry ehnn tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:36pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

You need to work on how to use your brain. The only thing which is going for you right now is that the yoruba are just as dumb as you. If any of them were smarter, you would crumble. Get some itelligence into that brain of yours before you meet an intelligent yoruba.

And you claim youre smart, youre just a dullard like a fellow yoruba guy, probably more duller than Tao11

Soon we will know how foolish your new account
Looks with your old brain,

You should have gotten a new sense rather than a new account because nothing would really changed it still going to be thesame dull boy with a new account grin

Mugu
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

And you claim youre smart, youre just as a fellow yoruba guy,

Soon we will know how foolish your new account
Looks with your brain,

You should have gotten a new sense rather than a new account because nothing would really changed it still going to be thesame dull boy with a new account grin

Mugu

You keep saying I am a yoruba disguising as an Edo while I never claimed any ethnicity. Hmmm. Sometimes people accuse others of doing what they themselves are doing. Like some thieves accuse other people of theft and some murderers accuse other people of the murder they committed.
So are you a yoruba pretending to be an Edo ?
I think that is exactly what you are, which explains the fact you were earlier attacking anybody who wanted the Benin bronze to be back with their rightful owner and the fact you were covering a yoruba troll with praises and also the fact you are trying to smear the Oba of Benin.

I guess the new (not really new) yoruba tactic is to infiltrate, pretend to be one of you, then try to shape opinions...
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Balogunodua(m): 8:50pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:
Announcement to everyone gregyboy would be unbanned tomorrow for the unjust banned he was givinv by yoruba coward mods

600yra for all the mods

TAO11
TAO12 up
Balogunodua
Newton
gomojam

Yoruba right. Now
Greyboy you are trying so hard to sound funny.. cheesy with your weak points.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Abovebonny3: 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

1) Actually the Anglo-Xhosa wars were several conflicts, not a single war. I know it arranges your argument to just make it one war and have it start at the beginning of the first war and end at the beginning of the last war. It is though amazing that you thought you would fool everybody with this crooked method.
2) If we shall go by your methods, then we shall say that the Benin-britain war lasted for 3 years. Indeed the first battle was in 1895 when Benin killed some british officers and their canon fodders who were trying to overthrow the Oba of Benin. That was the excuse the british used to justify the next conflict which started 2 years later.
3) Again, the anglo-ashanti wars were several conflicts, not just one !
4) Some Benin generals did continue the fight after the fall of Benin city.

And nobody is exagerating the scope of Benin, it is recorded in precolonial maps, in precolonial notes and all. Reading these precolonial documents is not synonymous to "exagerating".

I think you have low self-esteem issues. And you are extremely dumb. I didn't read all you wrote, In two sentences of your write up, I already had two much inaccurate claims of yours to write about.

No you are wrong, the Xhosa-Anglo wars have been compared to the English & French 100 (116) years war due to its longevity as an unresolved conflict. There were 56 conflicts from 1337 - 1453 between the two European powers yet they're all part of one big major war. The Hundred Years War. The same logic applies to the Xhosa wars, its an issue of semantics.

Again no, the Benin Expedition concluded the war after the British raised Edo to the ground and Benin's administrative and military structure collapsed and the royal family was exiled.

After Benin fell in February 1987 there were small pockets of resistance, yes this is true but the war was over, it was irrelevant.
Japan officially signed the peace treaty with the allies in august 1945 ending WW2, but did you know that some Japanese soldiers did not surrender till as late as 1974 and beyond. Hiroo Onoda was one such man, an intelligence officer of the Imperial Japanese Army who was hiding out with three of his fellow soldiers on a small island in the Philippines. He was only relived from his duty when an old commanding officer came in the name of Emperor Hirohito to convince the old war veteran the war was really over.
Therefore by your logic Japan was still at war with the Allies up until 1974?
No because wars have a start date and an end date, a series of wars is still considered as one overarching war. Once and enemy is totally defeated by conquest or total surrender the war is over.

Also there's no need for personal attacks, this is a healthy debate and we can agree & disagree that's the beauty of discussion, so please don't turn this into a train of insults, keep the discourse gentlemanly. Thank you!.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Balogunodua(m): 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

Also, how logical is it to just strat making assumptions on a person whom you do not know and have never met ?
"We know your type" ?
How dumb is that ?

Hehehehe...

Look at this international dumbo calling others dumb with his dumb mentality and half-baked brain.....

1 Like

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

You keep saying I am a yoruba disguising as an Edo while I never claimed any ethnicity. Hmmm. Sometimes people accuse others of doing what they themselves are doing. Like some thieves accuse other people of theft and some murderers accuse other people of the murder they committed.
So are you a yoruba pretending to be an Edo ?
I think that is exactly what you are, which explains the fact you were earlier attacking anybody who wanted the Benin bronze to be back with their rightful owner and the fact you were covering a yoruba troll with praises and also the fact you are trying to smear the Oba of Benin.

I guess the new (not really new) yoruba tactic is to infiltrate, pretend to be one of you, then try to shape opinions...

The idoit ghostwon

Bro on a serious note you need deliverance, big big big one

God help your spouse

You're something else

Yes i stand with what i believe your just a dunce who cant think outside the box as far as the oba supports it, it is correct that is cultural zombiesm

You're not smart youre just foolish bro,

I doubt if youre benin i know benins not to have senseless children youre just a Yoruba trying to damage the binin relevance

Get away
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Balogunodua(m): 8:59pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

Greyboy on the lose again... grin

1 Like

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

No you are wrong, the Xhosa-Anglo wars have been compared to the English & French 100 (116) years war due to its longevity as an unresolved conflict.
So someone compared the anglo-xhosa wars with the 100 year british french war, therefor the anglo-xhosa wars are one and only one war ?

Your brain needs food, it is starving, eat please.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

The idoit ghostwon

Bro on a serious note you need deliverance, big big big one

God help your spouse

You're something else

Yes i stand with what i believe your just a dunce who cant think outside the box as far as the oba supports it, it is correct that is cultural zombiesm

You're not smart youre just foolish bro,

I doubt if youre benin i know benins not to have senseless children youre just a Yoruba trying to damage the binin relevance

Get away
you are either a yoruba either the dumbest edo person ever. Whatever the case may be, considering you as an ennemy seems like the best thing to do.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Balogunodua(m): 9:11pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

Benin is an empire, it ruled outiside it tribe, igbo, kogi, urhobo, esan, yoruba and he had military power, economic power, social and cultural influences over vassal sate

Benin empire is areas like esan, urhobo, ijaw, ibos, yorubas areas it controlled

And it was noticeable
Benin was never an empire but a mushroom kingdom that is restricted to Edo state.

Kogi cheesy even the Oba will not date cross his boundary grin

2 Likes

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Balogunodua(m): 9:13pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

Oyo was an empire deal with and move on....

1 Like

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Abovebonny3: 9:15pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

And it was noticeable

What part of Igboland do you refer to? I would love some sources because by my account I've never heard of Benin having any imperial presence over any province east of the Niger. Perhaps some Western Igbo communities but that's hardly an entire ethnic group is it.

Also Kingdoms can rule others, its the extant to which they rule & enforce imperium that dictates their political status. Benin never ruled the entirety of one single ethnic group or nation, apart from Edo and fractions of smaller tribes. How can this be considered an empire.

The map shows The Kingdom of Benin at its greatest territorial extant in 1580. Benin from this point in the 16th century was on the decline.
Please tell me if the map is accurate or not because based the statements you've made, the entire south west/eastern region should be under the "Benin Empire"

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Abovebonny3: 9:21pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:

So someone compared the anglo-xhosa wars with the 100 year british french war, therefor the anglo-xhosa wars are one and only one war ?

Your brain needs food, it is starving, eat please.

Firstly its the English and French 100 Years War not "British", Britain wouldn't be an entity until 1707... undecided

Read what I said! They have been compared due to their likeness in longevity, which means they have been judged by academics like any other intergenerational conflict. A series of conflicts which contributed to the war as a whole.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Abovebonny3: 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2020
ABULARdotCOM:

Then I think you are fabricating history here. You can't be the same person drumming and also dancing to your beat. Only the opinion of outsiders would hold water here.

Is this assertion also backed up by Ijaw historians, at the least?

Please find me some sources because I've not yet come across any from Ijaw historians, would help me out a lot thanks!
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 9:24pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

No you are wrong, the Xhosa-Anglo wars have been compared to the English & French 100 (116) years war due to its longevity as an unresolved conflict. There were 56 conflicts from 1337 - 1453 between the two European powers yet they're all part of one big major war. The Hundred Years War. The same logic applies to the Xhosa wars, its an issue of semantics.

Again no, the Benin Expedition concluded the war after the British raised Edo to the ground and Benin's administrative and military structure collapsed and the royal family was exiled.

After Benin fell in February 1987 there were small pockets of resistance, yes this is true but the war was over, it was irrelevant.
Japan officially signed the peace treaty with the allies in august 1945 ending WW2, but did you know that some Japanese soldiers did not surrender till as late as 1974 and beyond. Hiroo Onoda was one such man, an intelligence officer of the Imperial Japanese Army who was hiding out with three of his fellow soldiers on a small island in the Philippines. He was only relived from his duty when an old commanding officer came in the name of Emperor Hirohito to convince the old war veteran the war was really over.
Therefore by your logic Japan was still at war with the Allies up until 1974?
No because wars have a start date and an end date, a series of wars is still considered as one overarching war. Once and enemy is totally defeated by conquest or total surrender the war is over.

Also there's no need for personal attacks, this is a healthy debate and we can agree & disagree that's the beauty of discussion, so please don't turn this into a train of insults, keep the discourse gentlemanly. Thank you!.

Bro i addressed alk this in my mention to you benin never had conflict wars with any European till 1897,the benin unpreparednes and full military attacks on benin prompted benin early defeat, benin surrender was on the oba orders

The military attacks used to fall benin was used in your so called ashanti and it fell in days lesser than benin who fell minths later

Guy something tells me you have really not extensively read benin-British war or probably you're not thoughtful to reason beyond what youre typing
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

Firstly its the English and French 100 Years War not "British", Britain wouldn't be an entity until 1707... undecided

Read what I said! They have been compared due to their likeness in longevity, which means they have been judged by academics like any other intergenerational conflict. A series of conflicts which contributed to the war as a whole.

Thanks for your correction on "britain". Why did I make such a silly mistake, maybe it is because I care so much about when "britain" came to existance. I care so much...
Look you are a retard. No need to continue this discussion. Several wars doesn't equal one war. You can't shape reality as you want no matter the "accademic" support which you claim to have; It doesn't matter. It might impress morons, but I am educated and itelligent so I don't buy the b.s.
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Edeyoung: 9:26pm On Dec 07, 2020
bonjovi787:
you are either a yoruba either the dumbest edo person ever. Whatever the case may be, considering you as an ennemy seems like the best thing to do.

I pity you, i pity people around you, you seem to have stupid anger issues

That's all
Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by ABULARdotCOM: 9:27pm On Dec 07, 2020
Abovebonny3:

Please find me some sources because I've not yet come across any from Ijaw historians, wou help me out a lot thanks!

So no universities in Bayelsa, abi? Well done! Don't let them see this o.

1 Like

Re: Benin Remain The Center Of West Africa Civilization by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 07, 2020
Edeyoung:

I pity you, i pity people around you, you seem to have stupid anger issues

That's all
you mean your speaking total rubbish is actually the fault of my "anger issues" ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Oriki Of All Towns In Ekiti State / Yorubas From Ijebu Are Descendents of North Sudan's Nubians / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.