Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement (5673 Views)

The Galloping Naira V Dollar. My Opinion! / 2023 Election: What Does Tinubu Mean By This Statement? / Naira V. Dollars: Today's Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
This comparable is not need the Nigeria problem is importation of consumption goods and some raw materials if we produce what we eat less dollars will be needed.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by hucknall: 8:45pm On Dec 05, 2020
jmoore:
A wise person compares $1 to 1 Naira.

A wise person compares $500 to 500 Naira.

But many are not wise.
even 1$ to N10 would have been smarter.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by hucknall: 8:48pm On Dec 05, 2020
MadamExcellency:
Meaning a non entity in USA can come to Nigeria with few dollars and buy LAGOS State.

This mumu didn't understand what he's saying.
Haba, how will they buy Lagos state? grin grin

But sha I know a LGA you can buy with less than 2 million dollars. tongue
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nwaide01: 8:49pm On Dec 05, 2020
The mumurism of some members of this forum is out of this world. OK you can an iPhone at $1000 in the USA but here it will be #500,000 so between us and them who can easily afford it. Again $1 is to Americans as #1 is to us, so whoever put that argument there need to have his or her head examined.

6 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by udemzyudex(m): 8:51pm On Dec 05, 2020
Lol.. Things people say just to console themselves. grin

2 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Thereddevil: 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2020
Kwamecron:
#agege bread
#pepsi/cocacola

U go still collect change self #300
That one na food?
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by ZKOSOSO(m): 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2020
princemillla:
E be like say dem just renew ur salary abi
My brother, BMC have been upgraded to 31K/Month o

2 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Snitch24(m): 9:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
Praxis758:
Yes, very correct.

With $1 here in the US, you can only buy 1 0.75l of bottled water or some canned drinks, remember tax of some cents will be added.

Though the effect of serial naira devaluation has crippled the purchasing power of Naira, but with N500, you can buy many things in Nigeria like soap, creams, toothpaste, excercise books and some others.

If anyone doubt my comment, let him prove me wrong and I'll personally go to Food Lion, Family Dollar store are take shots of their prices to see if one dollar products are common.

Though there's a store called 1 dollar store, 70% of their products are $1 but you'll still be taxed.

bros before u come here to misslead us with ur quote I'm very sure ur weekly income is what an average Nigerian earn monthly if nt more than self so before we can categorically analyse this we have to consider minimum wage most people here don't earn up to 200$ monthly
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by providencia(m): 9:15pm On Dec 05, 2020
Kwamecron:
#agege bread
#pepsi/cocacola

U go still collect change self #300
Why don't you also compare the wages paid to Nigerians and Americans making these two products ?
The quality of products bought here and in USA isnt the same.
I read a thread of a Nigerian who is in USA and he said when you buy drinks you go with the bottle but here, we return. Comparing what we buy here and what they buy there makes no sense
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Praxis758: 9:21pm On Dec 05, 2020
Truth, nothing but the truth.

Those guys are either into fraud (Texas, Georgia, Maryland, NY) or Drug (Chicago). Those who work legitly for their money here hardly show off.

Most people displaying affluence on social media are broke in real terms here. I'm a living testimony, they overwork to save and oppress/spend at home.

Raylight2:

serious about that? well I was told people coming to spray dollars on arrival do work their body , soul and spirit out to make those monies

2 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Praxis758: 9:24pm On Dec 05, 2020
Correct.

Most Nigerians get carried away by the sound of Dollar forgetting that it has its economic burden and limitation on people here. Exchange to Nigeria is not the same as it purchasing power here.

Thanks Bros for your constructive insight.

SEGLIZ:

bro you've done well no point arguing with those us that are home base, we are just too stubborn when it comes to comparing Nigeria and other countries.
two factors - 1) we feel depressed and worthless (inferiority complex) 2) we hate it hearing anything good about our country (all we want 1st thing waking up about our country is something negative, hearing negative things about Nigeria now give a lot joy).
all that man want to hear is 'dollar is valuable than Naira' telling him Naira has a better purchasing power is a waste of time.

2 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Taba21: 9:46pm On Dec 05, 2020
jmoore:
A wise person compares $1 to 1 Naira.

A wise person compares $500 to 500 Naira.

But many are not wise.

Even $1 to 100 naira but they are not wise truly.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by edoairways: 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2020
Praxis758:
I'm not contending your facts.

My point is purchasing power of $1 is weak here in the US compare to what N500 can afford in Nigeria

None of those items you mentioned can be afforded with $1 here in the US.

Are you saying the listed items above $1?
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by gtim4uall: 9:55pm On Dec 05, 2020
This person is very foolish, how can you compare 1 to 500, is it not a shame to u that that 1$ is equivalent to N500 , what can u buy with N1, do u even know the colour,, mtcheew
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Akudaisi: 9:58pm On Dec 05, 2020
Nawa ooo wetin happen to 1# vs 1$ dollar shey 1# no be money ni abeg Nigerians like suffering if not someone with a sense wouldn't have come up with this ridiculous comparisong,BT am when 1$ will be 1# naira like Bubu promised,from #130 to a dollar to 500# wouldn't it be a miracle if that promise come to pass grin
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
PPP( Purchasing power parity)

NIGERIA IS CHEAP TO LIVE IN.

IF YOU KNOW YOU KNOW

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 05, 2020
SEGLIZ:

bro you've done well no point arguing with those us that are home base, we are just too stubborn when it comes to comparing Nigeria and other countries.
two factors - 1) we feel depressed and worthless (inferiority complex) 2) we hate it hearing anything good about our country (all we want 1st thing waking up about our country is something negative, hearing negative things about Nigeria now give a lot joy).
all that man want to hear is 'dollar is valuable than Naira' telling him Naira has a better purchasing power is a waste of time.

Thank you so much..that is why many will die in frustration or continue to pursue fake dreams of wanting to live abroad

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 05, 2020
Snitch24:

bros before u come here to misslead us with ur quote I'm very sure ur weekly income is what an average Nigerian earn monthly if nt more than self so before we can categorically analyse this we have to consider minimum wage most people here don't earn up to 200$ monthly

Yeah but with even 150 dollars per month, most people can afford to eat and even afford to pay rent for a single room.

Now what can 200 dollars a month do for you in the United states....nothing..you will end up hungry and homeless

3 Likes

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Snitch24(m): 10:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

Yeah but with even 150 dollars per month, most people can afford to eat and even afford to pay rent for a single room.

Now what can 200 dollars a month do for you in the United states....nothing..you will end up hungry and homeless

bro even a street begger makes over 500$ monthly u can't compare the comfortability there to the suffering here

and again u will be lucky to get a pay of 200$ here
do ur calculations base on minimum wages bro
Nigeria is bleeped up
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Wilstino: 10:52pm On Dec 05, 2020
You should compare the minimum wage in both countries.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 05, 2020
Snitch24:

bro even a street begger makes over 500$ monthly u can't compare the comfortability there to the suffering here

and again u will be lucky to get a pay of 200$ here
do ur calculations base on minimum wages bro
Nigeria is bleeped up

Please, stop deceiving people.

Street beggars dont make nothing...people prefer to take care of a dog than a street beggar.

Even if you earn minimum wages in Nigeria, you can still earn a living.

500 dollars a month in the US is extreme poverty and living on the streets.

Even a Nigerian earning minimum wages is better than a homeless person earning 500 dollars monthly in the United states.

Dont pray to be homeless abroad, you will hate the world

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by gwafaeziokwu: 11:27pm On Dec 05, 2020
These APC people and their zombie followers want to turn everyone in Nigeria to mumu. See as people are actually discussing nonsense. These guys can justify stupidity honestly.

I cover my sense of reasoning with the blood of Jesus. No one is capable of messing up my basic economics.

Maka Chi, it shall not be well with these heartless criminals that have hijacked power in this country. Can you imagine supposed graduates trying to make sense out of nonsense. Tufiakwa!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by DamnnNiggarr: 11:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

Go and use $1 to buy those things na sad
what happened to our own 1 naira??
Have you ever wondered what you can purchase with $500.
If that's the case, compare 500 naira with $500.

Imagine comparing 500 naira to ordinary $1.

Nigerians and useless dick measurements.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by DamnnNiggarr: 11:32pm On Dec 05, 2020
Saifulah:
Your thoughts!

Modified;
I have seen some arguments that are off point at a tangent. The idea is comparing the naira to the dollar in terms of their purchasing power after adjustments for inflation and cost of living (in our case also for tariffs, imported inflation etc)

So for instance we could compare cost of 0.75cl of water in the US and Nigeria. or other products that are locally produced in each country
what happened to our own 1 naira??
Have you ever wondered what you can purchase with $500.
If that's the case, compare 500 naira with $500.

Imagine comparing 500 naira to ordinary $1.

Nigerians and useless dick measurements.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by DamnnNiggarr: 11:39pm On Dec 05, 2020
Praxis758:
I'm not contending your facts.

My point is purchasing power of $1 is weak here in the US compare to what N500 can afford in Nigeria

None of those items you mentioned can be afforded with $1 here in the US.

what can 1 naira purchase in nigeria??

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by DamnnNiggarr: 11:43pm On Dec 05, 2020
SEGLIZ:

my question is, what can 1naira purchase in Nigeria??
When are we going to compare $1 to 1 naira??
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Rankine(m): 12:01am On Dec 06, 2020
First compare their minimum wage and ours. Nigeria's minimum wage is 66 dollars.
Where as in the Us it should be around 8-10 dollars per hour of work. Spot the difference.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by giftedben: 12:11am On Dec 06, 2020
helinues:

So what can you buy satisfactory with N500 in Nigeria?

They are comparing $1 to N500

Why don't they compare N1 to $500

Then we can start comparing the purchasing power.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by helinues: 12:13am On Dec 06, 2020
giftedben:

You are comparing $1 to N500

Why don't you guys compare N1 to $500

Then we can start comparing the purchasing power.

You should also compare 1 cedi to Dollar or 1 shilling to Dollar... undecided

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by ngadaAwo: 12:15am On Dec 06, 2020
helinues:

You should also compare 1 cedi to Dollar or 1 shilling to Dollar... undecided
gbegile boys are trying their best
dollars is falling grin

God bless gbegile boys oo

unbanebenezar lzaa imhotep Gandollaar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by stonemasonn: 12:15am On Dec 06, 2020
SEGLIZ:

Naira has a better purchasing power?

Are you trying to justify the drop in Naira value?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uwazurike Held Nnamdi Kanu Captive For 5days(photos) / FIRS Generates ₦4.9trn, Unveils Call Centre To Address Taxpayers’ Complaints / Zonning:Jonathan or IBB remove North or edo,delta and Yorubas(satellte pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.