Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update (11802 Views)

2003 Honda Civic For Sale @ 1.7m Negotiable. / 20w50 Oil For 2000 Camry / Sharp Used 2003 Honda Accord V4 (eod) - 850k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2020
peeps4u:

Lol, your issue with it is 5k price?

Na for African market bros.... Stick to American formulated oil ... those oil formulated for American cars..
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by peeps4u: 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Na for African market bros.... Stick to American formulated oil ... those oil formulated for American cars..

Isn't all about 5w30 again? Isn't Mobil 2000 a 5w30? How is it now bad despite being 5w30?
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 8:29pm On Dec 23, 2020
peeps4u:

Isn't all about 5w30 again? Isn't Mobil 2000 a 5w30? How is it now bad despite being 5w30?

I think it is semi synthetic oil .. I don't use or sell it ....
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by peeps4u: 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

I think it is semi synthetic oil .. I don't use or sell it ....

It isn't bad as a cheaper option to Mobil 1 for a car doesn't mandatorily have to be synthetic
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 9:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
peeps4u:

It isn't bad as a cheaper option to Mobil 1 for a car doesn't mandatorily have to be synthetic

I can't vouch for something that I have never used before. From my experience with naija oil that basically ruined my engine... I have vow never to knowingly used anything made for naija again......

This is why I import my own stuff , even car wash soap I dey import am ....For best protection of your car and peace of mind ,

Full synethtic is the way to go ,especially if your car is early model ....... But again read your owners manual for the best way to care for your car ....
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by fabienjoe: 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

But you use 20w50 for your 2016 camry now , when the manual states 0w20.. I stated that to you , your reply was u don't need to read any manual etc ......but you are willing to read manual for your 2020 Tucson Abi....

If you are willing to follow manufacturers advice on ur tucson ,why not do the same on ur camry ?

Oga, one thing I need to point to you ..not all cars are built the same ,not all engine are built the same.. Some cars are more sensitive than others etc .. Some engines last better than others and built even better... so you can't treat all cars the same etc .......

Example.....when Infinity fx45 came out , people were going crazy etc people loved the car etc .. After sometimes people were complaining that car breaks maintenance is high etc.. You can't abuse those cars like you do other cars like Toyota.... People can't maintain cars. Same with Acura cars ,you can't abuse them anyhow..

Honda civic transmission needs special ATF made ,anything else will damage the transmission ,it might not be immediately ,but overtime it will get damage.....

Bottom line, owners should always read car manual especially when it comes to engine and transmission, other parts of the car you might be able to comprise a bit .......

Just because 2021 car uses 20w50 ,does not mean all cars will use the samething....let's read to understand

But to be honest, the way you people demonize this 20W 50, one would think it won't be anywhere near any modern car....But here it is, recommended for a 2020 model car. When people try to suggest that the temperature under which a car operates may have something to do with the choice of engine oil, they are scoffed at..But clearly many car manuals recommend some flexibility on the choice of engine oil based on the temperature of the region where the cars are used. I read some car forums where people driving cars in the US for which 0W 20 was recommended, changed to 10W 30 during summer months..20W 50 is certainly not as bad as being painted. Many people have used these oils here on their 'modern cars' for upwards of 8 years without any problems.. It certainly won't be good for cars in cold regions but it's not as bad being painted in warmer parts of the world like Nigeria..

3 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by chillex8(m): 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Whatapps me and Friday u get ur 10k naira .. I still won't by 1.6liter engine lol .. There is reason why that engine is built for African market o
Credit alert of 10k confirmed and sitting pretty. cool

3 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2020
fabienjoe:

But to be honest, the way you people demonize this 20W 50, one would think it won't be anywhere near any modern car....But here it is, recommended for a 2020 model car. When people try to suggest that the temperature under which a car operates may have something to do with the choice of engine oil, they are scoffed at..But clearly many car manuals recommend some flexibility on the choice of engine oil based on the temperature of the region where the cars are used. I read some car forums where people driving cars in the US for which 0W 20 was recommended, change to 10W 30 during summer months..20W 50 is certainly not as bad as being painted. Many people have used these oils here on their 'modern cars' for upwards of 8 years without any problems..

Picture this ..imagine if this is ur car , you bought tokunbo low miles with your hard earn money ... what oil would you use

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 9:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
fabienjoe:

But to be honest, the way you people demonize this 20W 50, one would think it won't be anywhere near any modern car....But here it is, recommended for a 2020 model car. When people try to suggest that the temperature under which a car operates may have something to do with the choice of engine oil, they are scoffed at..But clearly many car manuals recommend some flexibility on the choice of engine oil based on the temperature of the region where the cars are used. I read some car forums where people driving cars in the US for which 0W 20 was recommended, changed to 10W 30 during summer months..20W 50 is certainly not as bad as being painted. Many people have used these oils here on their 'modern cars' for upwards of 8 years without any problems.. It certainly won't be good for cars in cold regions but it's not as bad being painted in warmer parts of the world like Nigeria..

You are missing the point of the debate.. If your car calls for 20w50 than fine .. Just because your car recommends 20w50 does not mean it is universal for all cars....The Tucson that we talk about it is likely brought in by Dana Motors..... There is a big difference between those car with the USA spec ......

The USA spec comes with 2.0 GDi and 2.4 GDi engine. When korea or Japan makes cars for the USA .. It has to make the best possible version of that car to compete with other car company in the USA.....it is more expensive too....

So when buying Asian cars ,buy from the USA .. Some japanese cars are exclusively made in Japan for USA market only and it cost more .. The USA is not a dumping ground for cars .....

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by fabienjoe: 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2020
diportivo:
this is the first time I will read that demand is why something is cheap

as in,its in demand...people want them,and that's why they are cheap

but the 1.6l engine that nobody wants,that nobody wants to buy o,is the expensive one

common sense isn't common

they are made for the African market,but u need to order it from korean grin

many don dey roam undecided

But the reason is simple - African market is warped by poverty..The one with high demand is cheaper because it's the variant used in the US and therefore used ones are available. Businessmen are willing to invest because there's a ready market for it. Don't forget many are bought used from the US. .Higher supply, more availability, relatively cheaper prices....The African variant is sold in very low numbers since many Africans can't afford brand new cars.. low sales means cheap used parts are unavailable..furthermore the demand is low since only few were bought ..no incentive for businessmen to bring them in- scarcity and high price result..Poverty screws things up in ways unknown to Economics...which is why economic theories don't work in Africa..

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by seyema(m): 10:12pm On Dec 23, 2020
Wow! Educative thread
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by diportivo: 10:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
fabienjoe:

But the reason is simple - African market is warped by poverty..The one with high demand is cheaper because it's the variant used in the US and therefore used ones are available. Businessmen are willing to invest because there's a ready market for it. Don't forget many are bought used from the US. .Higher supply, more availability, relatively cheaper prices....The African variant is sold in very low numbers since many Africans can't afford brand new cars.. low sales means cheap used parts are unavailable..furthermore the demand is low since only few were bought ..no incentive for businessmen to bring them in- scarcity and high price result..Poverty screws things up in ways unknown to Economics...which is why economic theories don't work in Africa..

I don't understand you....but let me just say u av won the argument sir....kudos to u

Toyota corolla is a compact car and is in demand....I expect it to be cheap if this ur logic is to be followed.ordinary oshodi to cms will triple in price when it rains cos the demand for the service is on the high side,and drivers want to cash out

babyboy v6 transmission is in demand cos the gear is prone to issues...no 120k,no luck of buying.the engine is around 70k...engine isn't in demand anyways....the i4 of the same car is the other way round

market forces determine price....not where the commodity is coming from(might not be the case everytime though)

if the 1.6 and 2.0 engines of this elantra models were easily interchangeable,we won't be saying this.cos weda na ya keep of kutiwenji,as long as it is in demand,prices wld soar

my case is rested grin

2 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by weyreypey: 10:56pm On Dec 23, 2020
diportivo:

I don't understand you....but let me just say u av won the argument sir....kudos to u

Toyota corolla is a compact car and is in demand....I expect it to be cheap if this ur logic is to be followed.ordinary oshodi to cms will triple in price when it rains cos the demand for the service is on the high side,and drivers want to cash out

babyboy v6 transmission is in demand cos the gear is prone to issues...no 120k,no luck of buying.the engine is around 70k...engine isn't in demand anyways....the i4 of the same car is the other way round

market forces determine price....not where the commodity is coming from(might not be the case everytime though)

if the 1.6 and 2.0 engines of this elantra models were easily interchangeable,we won't be saying this.cos weda na ya keep of kutiwenji,as long as it is in demand,prices wld soar

my case is rested grin
Demand pull inflation.

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by radautoworks: 11:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
fabienjoe:

Ever wonder why they change engine like brake pads in Nigeria? Penny wise, pound foolish.

I'd rather have regular business from my customers on the RIGHT oil for their car than encourage them to pinch pennies on their oil so I can sell them an engine down the road for one lump sum. The mechanics (and I use that term lightly) advising people to use it, is that what THEY are putting in their cars? That's all I have to say because I'm trying to reduce my stress.

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by peeps4u: 11:31pm On Dec 23, 2020
Let me stress you a lil madam, sebi that Mobil 2000 5w30 isnt bad if one uses it and adheres to recommended mileage or months before changing?

radautoworks:

Ever wonder why they change engine like brake pads in Nigeria? Penny wise, pound foolish.

I'd rather have regular business from my customers on the RIGHT oil for their car than encourage them to pinch pennies on their oil so I can sell them an engine down the road for one lump sum. The mechanics (and I use that term lightly) advising people to use it, is that what THEY are putting in their cars? That's all I have to say because I'm trying to reduce my stress.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by diportivo: 11:32pm On Dec 23, 2020
weyreypey:

Demand pull inflation.

tunde

baba say the 1.6l engine is cheaper than the 2.0l engine

na why me start all these confusion talk upandan....let's all be staying facts as per say na guru we be

as for oil,my elder brother used his 08 accord for 8 years and he used 20w50 from the beginning....he put around 80k miles on it b4 selling and engine still ran like new

if u av the audi 1.8T engine,use synthetic wey pass synthetic sef weda the engine no go still spoil

grin

3 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by radautoworks: 12:01am On Dec 24, 2020
peeps4u:
Let me stress you a lil madam, sebi that Mobil 2000 5w30 isnt bad if one uses it and adheres to recommended mileage or months before changing?

As long as the car does not required synthetic 5w30 and they do as you say, sure.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 12:34am On Dec 24, 2020
diportivo:

tunde

na why me start all these confusion talk upandan....let's all be staying facts as per say na guru we be

as for oil,my elder brother used his 08 accord for 8 years and he used 20w50 from the beginning....he put around 80k miles on it b4 selling and engine still ran like new

if u av the audi 1.8T engine,use synthetic wey pass synthetic sef weda the engine no go still spoil

grin

When an engine is built if the engine is well taken care of. That engine should last at least 200k miles for most Japanese cars ......

What you are really ignorant about is the long term affect of the car , you are only looking from short term angle .......

Now the tokunbo cars you guys buy from Yankee, if the owners fail to follow owners manual and starting using 20w50 oil for their cars ,especially cars from Texas, las Vegas, Florida etc .by the time those cars are passed down to Nigerian market ,the car will not last more than two years or more .......

your brother that sold that car ,likely sold it reasons best known to him grin.. When people sell their cars in any parts of the world, it is usually sold for a reason grin the car been sold at coparts that people like you rush and let the prices inflates are sold for a reason grin your smart brother sold that accord to avoid any headache down the line...... grin. You are not smarter than the manufacture...

Below .... Example I bought this 2008 rav4 clean title for good money , and I was lucky , low mileage etc .. I was happy that I got a good deal .....

So by the time we put the car together , the front wheel was making noise and stiff etc ... We had a mechanic take a look at and guess what ? The steering electric pump is bad , it needs replacement, guess how much the mechanic called it 200k naira,

I went on eBay and got it for $175.00 and ready to ship out soon .. So imagine if I didn't have the resources ..

My very first civic on uber , this was before I knew anything about engine oil ... That Civic was a beast and over 80k miles was put on the car. It was using using 20w50 at the time, it started having issues ,it didn't short oil , but it was bringing out smoke ..my mechanic advice me to sell it before the problem becomes bigger. We sold it fast fast .......

Again your ignorance buttress my point why I will never buy naija used cars ..

Ps.. When we complain to the mechanic about the steering electric pump noise, he said the car is ok . It is just noise ... the shit I hear from these guys at times, am starting to feel it's a universal thing among Nigerians grin I tire o

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 2:57am On Dec 24, 2020
diportivo:

tunde

grin

Am sure this car ran like new when you sold it grin the 20w50 oil crew .. Ran like new when sold it grin grin baba it is well .. Even my uber cars when sold are not this bad lol.. The Lord is ur muscle grin

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by ucodiddy: 5:26am On Dec 24, 2020
Get your full synthetic lube

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by diportivo: 7:09am On Dec 24, 2020
dru23:

Am sure this car ran like new when you sold it grin the 20w50 oil crew .. Ran like new when sold it grin grin baba it is well .. Even my uber cars when sold are not this bad lol.. The Lord is ur muscle grin

those that av the strenght to engage u dey try....swears

I clearly stated 08 accord....look thru my topics,e dey there

but no,na 500k 22 year old car u go dig comot to push ur narrative undecided

I typed what I typed without quoting u for some reasons....one of them is u not displaying ur foolishness just as u av done here...it is well with ur soul

it will interest u to note tho,that my own personal 22 year old cars i used and sold ran on synthetic and thats cos the first one,I changed the engine when I bought it and started with full synthetic....the other one,was bought from my oga here and he was using full synthetic b4 I took possession

u cld post pictures of those ones too and ask the same question u asked here

2 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by peeps4u: 10:44am On Dec 24, 2020
radautoworks:

As long as the car does not required synthetic 5w30 and they do as you say, sure.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by thebigkendo(m): 3:11pm On Dec 24, 2020
Everybody is correct grin grin grin grin
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by Kanoski(m): 5:52pm On Dec 24, 2020
I understand dru23's concern.. Engines have become more sophisticated and pricey now
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2020
Kanoski:
I understand dru23's concern..
Engines have become more sophisticated and pricey now

Thank you my brother .... I feel that I have contributed enough about oyel matter , as we enter 2021 I will no longer talk about it anymore and also the benefits of using Honda Civic 03 to 05 .......it is getting quite repetitive..... I need to mind my own business
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 6:18pm On Dec 24, 2020
ucodiddy:
Get your full synthetic lube

So na my post u want advertise on top ... it is well, the Lord is ur muscle

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by replete(m): 6:30pm On Dec 24, 2020
when is 0w20 Mobil 1 available? Dru23
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 6:31pm On Dec 24, 2020
diportivo:

those that av the strenght to engage u dey try....swears

I clearly stated 08 accord....look thru my topics,e dey there

but no,na 500k 22 year old car u go dig comot to push ur narrative undecided

I typed what I typed without quoting u for some reasons....one of them is u not displaying ur foolishness just as u av done here...it is well with ur soul

it will interest u to note tho,that my own personal 22 year old cars i used and sold ran on synthetic and thats cos the first one,I changed the engine when I bought it and started with full synthetic....the other one,was bought from my oga here and he was using full synthetic b4 I took possession

u cld post pictures of those ones too and ask the same question u asked here

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 6:41pm On Dec 24, 2020
replete:
when is 0w20 Mobil 1 available? Dru23

For now bros , Mobil 1 oil dey on vacation till further notice.. Mobil 1 is not the beginning and the end o bros.. Other good quality oil from the USA ,that will do the job well done sir ...........

Castrol 0w20 is equally to the task sir , we keep the prices low just 15k sir , if I continue like this sir with these prices , I will soon be out of business..

People full ground that are waiting for me to be out of business to Jack up prices..... So enjoy me now while you can .. I go soon close shop finally for business and relocate ... other sellers will humble you guys with prices..

Please be Advice ..... I was half way asleep and awake when I was typing this ......

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by replete(m): 6:50pm On Dec 24, 2020
What's the difference between this and Edge?
you are trying Dru no be lie.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2020
replete:

To be honest with you , I really don't know .. But I can guarantee you , it will protect your engine, even castrol Nigeria does not produce.....

I bought it based on reviews online ....had excellent review......

Apart from anything else, oil change on full synethtic should not pass more than 7k miles ... unless otherwise stated on your owners manual
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2020
replete:

Edge is a more superior product.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

☀☀☀white On White 9k Miles 2019 Rolls Royce Cullinan +2348097048807 / Black 2006 Infiniti QX56 Hot Foreign Used Lagos Drop Price N2.3m / »»» Sold!!! Toks Volvo XC90 04 Now N1.95M Non Negotiable «««

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.