Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,385 members, 7,822,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (33606 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by lkillbrokehoes: 8:16am On Dec 10, 2020
Emmatee1816:
in this day and age so someone can still be promoting violence....attimes,we are the cause of our own problems
That's the only word Nigerians understand, when you are too quiet they take u for granted
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by lomprico(m): 8:20am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Please nairalanders i need your help here, A cooperative bank is occupying one of my shops but had the particular branch closed for over a year now.

I have been calling the CEO to come and open the shop for me i dont even need the more than a year's rent again.

What should i do please?

use the courts
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by mechanics(m): 8:22am On Dec 10, 2020
Sue them.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Ikpongiton: 8:24am On Dec 10, 2020
Report him to Ateke Tom , he will send his boys after him
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by padi94(m): 8:31am On Dec 10, 2020
Use your own padlock... Join am. Them dey owe you rent. Now you don seize the properties 8n there
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by sparko1(m): 8:32am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Somebody suggested i should go to court that they will come and pack his properties to the court, i dont know what the law says

Don’t go to court, takes longer than you think, another one year before you can have your place back.

Go to there head office, if they are no more in operation, check the guarantor contact.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Moganajoe: 8:38am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Please nairalanders i need your help here, A cooperative bank is occupying one of my shops but had the particular branch closed for over a year now.

I have been calling the CEO to come and open the shop for me i dont even need the more than a year's rent again.

What should i do please?

Tell him u want to deroof and reroof the building plus other maintenance. Service him the notice, after two weeks if he doesn't show up, go to police with de copy of the notice. Police need money

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 10, 2020
your best bet is to get a lawyer and go to court. that way you'll be paid everything they owe at the end of the verdict because no law says a tenant should live in somebody's house for free. Even the government doesn't give free housing. I am talking from experience, you'll get back every dime they owe you!!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by AreaFada2: 8:45am On Dec 10, 2020
JoeEeL:
Some of you just foolishly believe you can hustle in your youth and build one or two small houses where you'll be easily collecting rent in old age. Then the rest in the country can f*ck off while you spread your legs in your verandah chopping cool breeze. grin

Y'all just want to play it safe. Hustle huge, be a bit smarter than the rest, enjoy rent proceeds till death. Well, this is the rude awakening.

In the end, bad government affects us all. Your lamentation is similar to that of 80% of landlords anyways. If there are millions of houses and 80% of citizens barely live under $2 per day, what magic do we really expect?

Many middle-class people think they can simply out-hustle the system and give not too much f*cks about the state of governance. Well, you have your answer.

Let us all once and for all learn to face the elephant in the room, instead of always trying to cut corners, find appiah way, bend bend, manoeuvre, barely survive etc.
Nor be small thing o. grin
Especially those ones who know that only a very big miracle will make them be landlord, dem nor send.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by edoairways: 8:46am On Dec 10, 2020
Designsking:
Use prayer chase out
You must be mfm member
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 10, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
You know what to do yourself, pack boys to beat him and bundle him out of that house, if you continue to keep quiet he will take u for granted.

It's obvious you didn't read.

It's a shop, used as a bank. He doesn't live there.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Phrankin(m): 8:51am On Dec 10, 2020
Ayomide002:
when will Africans get sense and know that, not everything requires prayer?

Oga, consult a good lawyer
are you that slow to realize that this is an obvious troll?
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Etuglucy: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2020

richidinho:

What should i do please?

2 Likes

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by twilliamx(m): 8:54am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:

What should i do please?

Have you served them a quit notice? Also maybe you might have to go to a mediation center so that they will invite them for a round table discussion, the outcome will help you decide if you go to court or not.
But make you serve them a quit notice and also make sure that they acknowledge a copy for you
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Onlinesmart: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2020
BestJobAssured2:
Some Nigerian tenants wicked no be small.

One has refused to pay close to 3 years rent to my grandpa now

The kingdom of God suffereth violence. Hire thugs to beat craze comot from his head.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by JoeEeL(m): 8:55am On Dec 10, 2020
AreaFada2:

Nor be small thing o. grin
Especially those ones who know that only a very big miracle will make them be landlord, dem nor send.

U no serious guy cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by kingdavid09: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2020
Get a lawyer, approach a court. Your problem cannot be solved here
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by uuzba(m): 8:56am On Dec 10, 2020
jaytii:
They just presented you with a blank cheque.
Sue them for everything they've got.

Congratulations
Hmm. Na wa O. Landlord work no easy O.
When you supposed to be enjoying your money, you will be running up and down with lawyer, shouting anyhow to pursue tenant.

3 Likes

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by barristerbiodun(m): 8:57am On Dec 10, 2020
Verbal communication of your intention to evict a tenant is nothing in the eyes of the law, and your tenant, the cooperative bank knows it and have decided you're not serious yet about evicting them, so they'll utilize as much time as they can perhaps to continue to sit tight in possession to perhaps find a 'warehouse' for their office equipment and other things at your place because you cannot lawfully unlock that premises without a court order.

Your remedy is to have issued the statutory notices as provided by the Lagos Tenancy Law (I assume this property is in Lagos). You should have issued a 6 months Quit Notice which would have elapsed by now, followed by a 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover premises. However, as you have mentioned that its now more than a year since his last rent expired, the law allows you to waive issuing the 6 months notice and go straight to serving the tenant the 7 days notice after which you can apply to court.

From experience though, once you issue a statutory notice to an enlightened tenant who knows the law, they then know that you're serious abiut evicting them and would most times dobthe needful by moving out and paying arrears of rent. The good thing is that you can always claim the arrears of rent usually called mesne profit once rent expires, if you go to court.

Please contact a lawyer to immediately issue a notice, most advisably a 7 days notice and i can bet you would get a positive response. For further legal advice and counselling, you can call/whatsapp 08165413597.

richidinho:

What should i do please?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Ihatemumu: 9:00am On Dec 10, 2020
Etuglucy:
Please and please when it is about evicting ur tenant please and please don't use a lawyer. Most lawyers not all will use u and play ball. I just evicted someone 2 days ago this is the same person a lawyer collected almost 150k and was still asking me to pay more.
I wet straight to the judge and he adviced on what to do. Go to a magistrate court and tell them ur challenge and tell them u don't have a lawyer.
Please don't use a lawyer. I did that and within 2 hours they sent a representative to follow me to the house and issue a one week letter to the person. The judge told me most lawyers will get money from u and still meet the tenants to collect money.

Corruption in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Phrankin(m): 9:02am On Dec 10, 2020
JoeEeL:
Some of you just foolishly believe you can hustle in your youth and build one or two small houses where you'll be easily collecting rent in old age. Then the rest in the country can f*ck off while you spread your legs in your verandah chopping cool breeze. grin

Y'all just want to play it safe. Hustle huge, be a bit smarter than the rest, enjoy rent proceeds till death. Well, this is the rude awakening.

In the end, bad government affects us all. Your lamentation is similar to that of 80% of landlords anyways. If there are millions of houses and 80% of citizens barely live under $2 per day, what magic do we really expect?

Many middle-class people think they can simply out-hustle the system and give not too much f*cks about the state of governance. Well, you have your answer.

Let us all once and for all learn to face the elephant in the room, instead of always trying to cut corners, find appiah way, bend bend, manoeuvre, barely survive etc.
Hustle oo my broda, make you no go dey find person wey go follow you go do protest. E pain you?
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Christian07(m): 9:06am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Somebody suggested i should go to court that they will come and pack his properties to the court, i dont know what the law says

You should have done that since
You should have severed him quick notice through a lawyer before 6month nd 7day he should have packed out

When you notice a tenant can’t pay within a month nd few weeks after expiry expectially old tenants

Most landlords are even tiered some are even selling their houses to do others business that gives daily pay

Its frustrating

And they will have money to pay but rather use the money for another thing because government is backing them
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by nedekid: 9:07am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:

What should i do please?
Unfortunately you have to go to court, the terrible thing is it might take years. It took me 3 years.
The alternative is thst you break open the shop (which he wants you to). Once you do that the Tennant will appear and sue you for millions cloaking he had 100m in cash, offic furniture, abada, lace, 100 suits, a car and all sorts of rubbish domiciled in the premises and he can no longer find them since you broke in.
You best option is to beg the man to open the shop peacefully or get procession from the court. Do not touch the place otherwise.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by nedekid: 9:11am On Dec 10, 2020
barristerbiodun:
Verbal communication of your intention to evict a tenant is nothing in the eyes of the law, and your tenant, the cooperative bank knows it and have decided you're not serious yet about evicting them, so they'll utilize as much time as they can perhaps to continue to sit tight in possession to perhaps find a 'warehouse' for their office equipment and other things at your place because you cannot lawfully unlock that premises without a court order.

Your remedy is to have issued the statutory notices as provided by the Lagos Tenancy Law (I assume this property is in Lagos). You should have issued a 6 months Quit Notice which would have elapsed by now, followed by a 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover premises. However, as you have mentioned that its now more than a year since his last rent expired, the law allows you to waive issuing the 6 months notice and go straight to serving the tenant the 7 days notice after which you can apply to court.

From experience though, once you issue a statutory notice to an enlightened tenant who knows the law, they then know that you're serious abiut evicting them and would most times dobthe needful by moving out and paying arrears of rent. The good thing is that you can always claim the arrears of rent usually called mesne profit once rent expires, if you go to court.

Please contact a lawyer to immediately issue a notice, most advisably a 7 days notice and i can bet you would get a positive response. For further legal advice and counselling, you can call/whatsapp 08165413597.

Very insightful.

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by harmony75: 9:14am On Dec 10, 2020
your lawyer should serve them quit notice stating their none payment of rent over one year, then take them to court to eject them from your property.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by solonubinho(m): 9:14am On Dec 10, 2020
Send a dm
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by flexyrule(m): 9:14am On Dec 10, 2020
9jayes:
Remove the roof
I wanted to say remove the doors and windows... Then I saw your option which is even far better than mine.
OP. Here is your solution!
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by jeff1607(m): 9:16am On Dec 10, 2020
CVhurb:
Just curious too, y did u ask this question pls?
I would like to be enlightened.

Most times the landlord overcharge intending tenants, even if you were the one that met the owner directly without involving an agent they will ask for agent fee, commission, caution fee etc and when the tenant decides to leave such monies ought to be given back as long as the tenant didn't damage anything and most times they want the tenant to leave after a year or less so they can collect or do the same to another tenant.

Most times the monies paid aside rent is usually higher than the rent itself, imagine a tenant after paying all these, will he/she leave ?
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by JoeEeL(m): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2020
Phrankin:
Hustle oo my broda, make you no go dey find person wey go follow you go do protest. E pain you?

All the hustle wey you don dey double since how many years?

Where u dey today?

Dey wine yourself.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by jaytii(f): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2020
uuzba:

Hmm. Na wa O. Landlord work no easy O.
When you supposed to be enjoying your money, you will be running up and down with lawyer, shouting anyhow to pursue tenant.

Lagos landlords especially

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We Buy Scrap Inverter Deep Cycle Batteries Etc @ Reasonable Prices / Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of 20 Buildings In Banana Island / Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.