Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (33581 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by HabaHaba: 9:18am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Please nairalanders i need your help here, A cooperative bank is occupying one of my shops but had the particular branch closed for over a year now.

I have been calling the CEO to come and open the shop for me i dont even need the more than a year's rent again.

What should i do please?

Haba! No be you get your house?

Do something legal na.

Go to rent Tribunal and make a petition against them. They should be invited and given enough time to appear and defend themselves before action would be taken against them, most probably by forceful ejection and seizure of their properties.

Why u dey fear ne?

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by dollytino4real(f): 9:20am On Dec 10, 2020
bad tenant worst pass bad wife
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 10, 2020
JoeEeL:

All the hustle wey you don dey double since how many years?

Where u dey today?

Dey wine yourself.

You’re mostly an ibo girl cummed in Yoruba land or an influenced and induced Yoruba girl to hate on her advantages.

Tell us ways to hustle big since owning shops is not enough to salvage the hardship of the country Nigeria you loathe so much?
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by gassbee: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Somebody suggested i should go to court that they will come and pack his properties to the court, i dont know what the law says
only a good lawyer can help you. Is a process n u v got to be patient
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by JoeEeL(m): 9:34am On Dec 10, 2020
WiLdFLame:

You’re mostly an ibo girl cummed in Yoruba land or an influenced and induced Yoruba girl to hate on her advantages.

Tell us ways to hustle big since owning shops is not enough to salvage the hardship of the country Nigeria you loathe so much?

You call me a girl?

Chai, ur talk no get head.

So shop is the utmost you can think of that progresses a nation? shocked

Cheiii!!
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by melodyogonna(m): 9:35am On Dec 10, 2020
We need better housing laws
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by tpapi: 9:36am On Dec 10, 2020
Trustedpro:

Go to court... They serve letter twice after that you will be assigned a police to evacuate and also take list of items found in the shop...
if while going with d police n court bailif to evacuate d apartment. If the door is locked, wat would b d next action
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:
Please nairalanders i need your help here, A cooperative bank is occupying one of my shops but had the particular branch closed for over a year now.

I have been calling the CEO to come and open the shop for me i dont even need the more than a year's rent again.

What should i do please?
I think u should get a lawyer but don't file a lawsuit in the court because it would only give them more time

Once you lawyer help get a legal backing; you can then use the police to evict them

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by babatunji36117: 9:38am On Dec 10, 2020
:Somebody suggested i should go to court that they will come and pack his properties to the court, i dont know what the law says only a good lawyer can help you. Is a process n u v got to be patient
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Donbeebright(m): 9:47am On Dec 10, 2020
Remove the roof of the building then the person will pack out
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by gassbee: 9:56am On Dec 10, 2020
BestJobAssured2:
Some Nigerian tenants wicked no be small.

One has refused to pay close to 3 years rent to my grandpa now

bros which state is dat
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by gassbee: 10:07am On Dec 10, 2020
Juliearth:

I understand, but when dealing with a case like this, you need to be extra careful and tactful because a small misdoing from your end would sway judgement in favour of the tenant.
as long as d landlord does not damage d apartment nor break into d apartment, d court can never sway judgement to d favour of d tenant

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by SpicyMimi(f): 10:08am On Dec 10, 2020
flexyrule:
I wanted to say remove the doors and windows... Then I saw your option which is even far better than mine.
OP. Here is your solution!
Lol don’t try it! They will sue you for loss of properties and damages, e go shock you!

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by bethelofficial: 10:11am On Dec 10, 2020
rent quality Artificial Plant for your upcoming events or occasions.

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by IGBOGENE27(m): 10:15am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:

What should i do please?

Consult your lawyer.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by purpleicious(f): 10:19am On Dec 10, 2020
Go to the court and they will be served quit notice after which failure to comply,their possession will be evacuated by the court and later auction to realise your rent.Just use the law, don't stress yourself!
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by publicattorneys: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:

What should i do please?

We can help you handle this and put it behind you in less than a month since it has now become an abandoned premises. Should you need our assistance, please talk to us for proper briefing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by segun18(m): 10:25am On Dec 10, 2020
Nonexistent:
Invite EndSars protesters in this matter and thank me later. They will break the shop and loot everything, na the CEO go dey beg you to allow him pick his remaining stuffs.

Lord have mercy LoL
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Naughtysex: 10:26am On Dec 10, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
You know what to do yourself, pack boys to beat him and bundle him out of that house, if you continue to keep quiet he will take u for granted.
Next time make sure you read before you comment
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Bonjovi13: 10:26am On Dec 10, 2020
Its simple. The tenancy has been determined by effluxion of time and the failure of your tenant to renew the tenancy by paying new rent means that he is a tenant holding over.
Go to the nearest Magistrate or High court(depending on the amount paid as rent) and apply for a notice of owners intention to recover premises.It is a 7days notice. Also apply for substituted service if you dont have an address of the tenant. Paste the 7days notice on the front door of the shop. After it expires go back to court and get the court bailiffs to come and break open the shop. Take inventory of the things in it and pack it to court. They can auction it and use it to offset the 1 year rent arrears.
Hmmmmn. This legal advice should cost you money o. But na we we.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Horla20: 10:32am On Dec 10, 2020
Entrust your property to the hand of Estate surveyors and valuers to safe you from tenants wahala.
For real estate investment
valuation of your property for all purpose
management and maintenance of your property to prolong the life span of your property
letting and sales of property
Contact Jide Taiwo and Co.
email:jtc.ilorin@jidetaiwoandco.com
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Alvino1(m): 10:33am On Dec 10, 2020
richidinho:

What should i do please?

Get a lawyer close to you, they will serve them all the necessary statutory notices, if they fail to leave, file an action against them in court reqiesting your rent and cost for legal fees you have spent, if they fail to appear, the Court will foreclose them and judgment will be given and a bailiff will break open the shop with the Order of the Court and their properties will be carried for auction to enable the Court raise your rent and cost for u simple... You have nothing to worry, it will only take time but you surely wont lose or regret your steps...

Note: on no account should you break open the shop or bring their things outside without the approval of the Court, else you done enter one chance be that

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Bonjovi13: 10:38am On Dec 10, 2020
Etuglucy:
Please and please when it is about evicting ur tenant please and please don't use a lawyer. Most lawyers not all will use u and play ball. I just evicted someone 2 days ago this is the same person a lawyer collected almost 150k and was still asking me to pay more.
I wet straight to the judge and he adviced on what to do. Go to a magistrate court and tell them ur challenge and tell them u don't have a lawyer.
Please don't use a lawyer. I did that and within 2 hours they sent a representative to follow me to the house and issue a one week letter to the person. The judge told me most lawyers will get money from u and still meet the tenants to collect money.

That's the problem with people like you who have issues paying professionals their fees.
Imagine someone telling your tenant not to pay his landlord rent because they are entitled to free housing as their basic right.

Now what you did is a culpable offense. Going to a magistrate court and meeting a judge and the judge goes ahead to send bailiffs to serve a notice is criminal and if you this wasnt an anonymous site, I would have reported you and the judge to the authorities and the judge would have been removed as a judge and disbarred.

A case ought to have been initiated and since it is a civil matter you need a lawyer to file the matter in court. In this case there was no documentation, no case number,except it was forged.
If the tenant was educated on his rights and consulted a lawyer he will go to court to defend the matter and file papers. It will become apparent that the matter was not registered and you are fecked.

So next time dont be cheap and give ceasars what belongs to ceasar. Also dont come out to give advice that will get people in trouble
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 10, 2020
JoeEeL:

You call me a girl?

Chai, ur talk no get head.

So shop is the utmost you can think of that progresses a nation? shocked

Cheiii!!
Big head
Go jor
You feed your soul with hate too much
Go watch yourself

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by letitrainnow(m): 10:51am On Dec 10, 2020
Go to court
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by sojfarm: 10:52am On Dec 10, 2020
Is your property in Lagos State?

There is a special court in Lagos State for this purpose. They help landlord and tenant settle cases. Approach them they will help you
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by tonyson010(m): 11:00am On Dec 10, 2020
whytediamond:
Spend small money for court matter, then wait for the verdict. Claim all your backlog too.

Nice one too.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by pek(m): 11:01am On Dec 10, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
You know what to do yourself, pack boys to beat him and bundle him out of that house, if you continue to keep quiet he will take u for granted.
This happens when you read only the heading and don't read the post.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by JoeEeL(m): 11:02am On Dec 10, 2020
WiLdFLame:

Big head
Go jor
You feed your soul with hate too much
Go watch yourself

Hahaa, na you sabi.

I hate Nigeria because it kills her people. Bola Ige's case till today? Funsho Williams till today?
Biafrans killed, SARS protesters at Lekki shot at?

I almost died in Nigeria due to the state of bad roads when I needed medical attention.

I hate a country where they can kill someone because he denounces a faith or questions the authenticity of a false prophet. There's a billion things I hate about Nigeria and every one of it is justified abegi.

How can a country be running on the blood of her people? Looters and political thieves everywhere and you want me to be comfortable in the mess? You easily brush it off as 'hate'?

That's the problem with you typical Nigerians. You are so comfortable in nonsense. If politicians say they need one kidney donated by every individual, I wont be surprised Nigerians will offer themselves up. That's how beat down the people are. They seem to be changing these days tho. cool
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 10, 2020
JoeEeL:

Hahaa, na you sabi.

I hate Nigeria because it kills her people. Bola Ige's case till today? Funsho Williams till today?
Biafrans killed, SARS protesters at Lekki shot at?

I almost died in Nigeria due to the state of bad roads when I needed medical attention.

I hate a country where they can kill someone because he denounces a faith or questions the authenticity of a false prophet. There's a billion things I hate about Nigeria and every one of it is justified abegi.

How can a country be running on the blood of her people? Looters and political thieves everywhere and you want me to be comfortable in the mess? You easily brush it off as 'hate'?

That's the problem with you typical Nigerians. You are so comfortable in nonsense. If politicians say they need one kidney donated by every individual, I wont be surprised Nigerians will offer themselves up. That's how beat down the people are. They seem to be changing these days tho. cool

Then go peacefully to that country you like
And stop crying
Your wailing is not solving anything
Stop disturbing those of us trying to Navigate and survive the what “life” offers us; unlike some cowards; we are not running from problems.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by Eagba(m): 11:27am On Dec 10, 2020
barristerbiodun:
Verbal communication of your intention to evict a tenant is nothing in the eyes of the law, and your tenant, the cooperative bank knows it and have decided you're not serious yet about evicting them, so they'll utilize as much time as they can perhaps to continue to sit tight in possession to perhaps find a 'warehouse' for their office equipment and other things at your place because you cannot lawfully unlock that premises without a court order.

Your remedy is to have issued the statutory notices as provided by the Lagos Tenancy Law (I assume this property is in Lagos). You should have issued a 6 months Quit Notice which would have elapsed by now, followed by a 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover premises. However, as you have mentioned that its now more than a year since his last rent expired, the law allows you to waive issuing the 6 months notice and go straight to serving the tenant the 7 days notice after which you can apply to court.

From experience though, once you issue a statutory notice to an enlightened tenant who knows the law, they then know that you're serious abiut evicting them and would most times dobthe needful by moving out and paying arrears of rent. The good thing is that you can always claim the arrears of rent usually called mesne profit once rent expires, if you go to court.

Please contact a lawyer to immediately issue a notice, most advisably a 7 days notice and i can bet you would get a positive response. For further legal advice and counselling, you can call/whatsapp 08165413597.

boss can a landlord draw up an agreement with a tenant that stipulates that the tenant or a third party has waiver his/ their right to sue the landlord in the case of an eviction in whatsoever means.
Re: My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! by izubext007: 11:28am On Dec 10, 2020
in this hard economy situation.......u are wicked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We Buy Scrap Inverter Deep Cycle Batteries Etc @ Reasonable Prices / Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? / Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of 20 Buildings In Banana Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.