Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. (10852 Views)

My Journey To The Programming World - Newbie / How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) / Can You Please Recommend A Digital Skill For Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by The5DME(m): 8:44am On Apr 24, 2021
[quote author=tensazangetsu20 post=101071582]
Python unfortunately is useless for web development. There's just not much jobs or opportunitoes out there for it.[/quote] bro please can you expantiate more on the bolded? Because I don't understand what that means. I thought I saw some python developer jobs the last time I checked indeed abi how do they check for jobs again? I'm still a nice sha so please forgive my ignorance.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:51am On Apr 24, 2021
[quote author=The5DME post=101071759][/quote]
Python is used for web development with a framework called Django. Either that or flask. There's not many companies using that framework to build out their backend. In Nigeria I know just one company using it and they don't employ junior Devs. The number of websites globally using python backend is less than 0.8 percent.

Python has its place in data science Sha but not in web development.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by von02: 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2021
Is there any Whatsapp group? cry
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Albertone(m): 9:29am On May 02, 2021
von02:
Is there any Whatsapp group? cry

Yes

stanliwise
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Jahzrockballer(m): 6:17am On May 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I have had a few mentions from some people asking for advice on how they would go about learning web development.

If I was to start learning to code today precisely web development this is exactly how I would go about it

I would learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript and then React. React is a JavaScript framework which makes your live a lot easier. Once I am done learning react I would pick up Gatsby and Nextjs both React frameworks. Don't worry it's very easy to pick up once you know React. The thing is plain React is absolutely ridiculous for SEO. So if you intend to get your website found by Google, use Gatsby or Nextjs.

Once you are done with this you should have covered the frontend track. With this technologies and a few projects to your portfolio you should be able to apply to frontend developer jobs.

Now the backend is where it gets very tricky. A lot of people would recommend Nodejs which is a JavaScript runtime that enables you to run JavaScript outside the browser. For a beginner avoid Nodejs, I feel the hype for nodejs is created by startup founders to flood the market with Nodejs developers so they could be spoilt for choice when it comes to hiring. I have seen a lot of MERN, MEAN and MEVN stack developers on twitter looking to even work for free to gain experience. Some companies even feel it's not possible for a junior developer to be a MERN stack or whatever JavaScript full stack technology developer. I feel it's a very bad choice for beginners.

I would recommend a beginner to instead pick a platform. Learn the language that powers that platform. If you wanna be an expert at WordPress and Magento development then PHP Is your go to language. If you want to be a Shopify developer then ruby on rails should be your go to language. Shopify uses liquid which is an offshoot version of Ruby on rails. If you wanna be a salesforce developer then java and c# should be the languages you learn. Salesforce uses apex which is java on steroids. There's another platform called sap which uses abap as it's own programming language.

Why a platform? It's better to niche down early. A lot of bootcamps, training centres, self learners et al are all learning the MERN stack or whatever other stupid JavaScript full stack technology. They are all going to copy the same projects and then they will all apply to the same jobs with the same projects. Web development is so freaking wide. So many aspects are untouched and overlooked.

Aside getting a high paying job easily as an expert in this platforms, this platforms are largely distributed and they can enable you to make money on your own as a developer. For instance , on Shopify the average Shopify theme goes for 200 USD and everyone familiar with Shopify knows how ugly the themes on the Shopify store are. Imagine building a much better looking theme and putting it up there and you even sell just 3 themes a month. That's more than what 70 percent of developers in Nigeria make. There's also the Shopify app store which you can build apps that make E commerce easy and you can charge users on an annual or on a monthly basis. You don't even need to worry about distribution as Shopify already takes care of that. The same thing with Shopify also applied to Magento and salesforce. Magento has very few themes in the marketplace. If you check envato marketplace you would find a Magento theme that has done over 1 million USD in sales. The least sales from one Magento theme there is around 20000 USD. So many people fit no see this kind money for their life for naija till them die.

Salesforce is filled with enterprise level applications. Applications that are used by big companies think ExxonMobil, Chevron, KPMG, Deloitte. It cost 2500 USD to list an app on the Salesforce store but the average revenue from each paid app on the store is over 1 million USD. Some apps from the salesforce store have become billion dollar companies. Companies like docusign started as salesforce apps then you have sap. You can check the sap app store. The lease annual subscription for an app is around 5000 USD a year. I have seen 20000 USD in annual subscription for an app. Anyone who works in any of the IT departments of any of the big multinationals must have seen sap.

So in summary, learn the basics and niche down. Most of this platforms also have certifications which employers use for hiring. Those certifications alone immediately set you apart from everyone else. No one is gonna hire a generalist web developer as a Salesforce developer.

This is so apt
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by shiffynaani(m): 9:19am On May 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I have had a few mentions from some people asking for advice on how they would go about learning web development.

If I was to start learning to code today precisely web development this is exactly how I would go about it

I would learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript and then React. React is a JavaScript framework which makes your live a lot easier. Once I am done learning react I would pick up Gatsby and Nextjs both React frameworks. Don't worry it's very easy to pick up once you know React. The thing is plain React is absolutely ridiculous for SEO. So if you intend to get your website found by Google, use Gatsby or Nextjs.

Once you are done with this you should have covered the frontend track. With this technologies and a few projects to your portfolio you should be able to apply to frontend developer jobs.

Now the backend is where it gets very tricky. A lot of people would recommend Nodejs which is a JavaScript runtime that enables you to run JavaScript outside the browser. For a beginner avoid Nodejs, I feel the hype for nodejs is created by startup founders to flood the market with Nodejs developers so they could be spoilt for choice when it comes to hiring. I have seen a lot of MERN, MEAN and MEVN stack developers on twitter looking to even work for free to gain experience. Some companies even feel it's not possible for a junior developer to be a MERN stack or whatever JavaScript full stack technology developer. I feel it's a very bad choice for beginners.

I would recommend a beginner to instead pick a platform. Learn the language that powers that platform. If you wanna be an expert at WordPress and Magento development then PHP Is your go to language. If you want to be a Shopify developer then ruby on rails should be your go to language. Shopify uses liquid which is an offshoot version of Ruby on rails. If you wanna be a salesforce developer then java and c# should be the languages you learn. Salesforce uses apex which is java on steroids. There's another platform called sap which uses abap as it's own programming language.

Why a platform? It's better to niche down early. A lot of bootcamps, training centres, self learners et al are all learning the MERN stack or whatever other stupid JavaScript full stack technology. They are all going to copy the same projects and then they will all apply to the same jobs with the same projects. Web development is so freaking wide. So many aspects are untouched and overlooked.

Aside getting a high paying job easily as an expert in this platforms, this platforms are largely distributed and they can enable you to make money on your own as a developer. For instance , on Shopify the average Shopify theme goes for 200 USD and everyone familiar with Shopify knows how ugly the themes on the Shopify store are. Imagine building a much better looking theme and putting it up there and you even sell just 3 themes a month. That's more than what 70 percent of developers in Nigeria make. There's also the Shopify app store which you can build apps that make E commerce easy and you can charge users on an annual or on a monthly basis. You don't even need to worry about distribution as Shopify already takes care of that. The same thing with Shopify also applied to Magento and salesforce. Magento has very few themes in the marketplace. If you check envato marketplace you would find a Magento theme that has done over 1 million USD in sales. The least sales from one Magento theme there is around 20000 USD. So many people fit no see this kind money for their life for naija till them die.

Salesforce is filled with enterprise level applications. Applications that are used by big companies think ExxonMobil, Chevron, KPMG, Deloitte. It cost 2500 USD to list an app on the Salesforce store but the average revenue from each paid app on the store is over 1 million USD. Some apps from the salesforce store have become billion dollar companies. Companies like docusign started as salesforce apps then you have sap. You can check the sap app store. The lease annual subscription for an app is around 5000 USD a year. I have seen 20000 USD in annual subscription for an app. Anyone who works in any of the IT departments of any of the big multinationals must have seen sap.

So in summary, learn the basics and niche down. Most of this platforms also have certifications which employers use for hiring. Those certifications alone immediately set you apart from everyone else. No one is gonna hire a generalist web developer as a Salesforce developer.
Hi boss. Do you recommend i learn DSA first before learning HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT or i should just go straight to them then come back to learn DSA when I'm done?

Thanks
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:50am On May 03, 2021
shiffynaani:
Hi boss. Do you recommend i learn DSA first before learning HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT or i should just go straight to them then come back to learn DSA when I'm done?

Thanks
Honestly that depends on you. I don't really know what to tell you.

1 Like

Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by shiffynaani(m): 9:55am On May 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly that depends on you. I don't really know what to tell you.
well, I'm a total newbie sir. Some are saying it's good to learn DSA first while some are saying otherwise. I just need your views on it considering your experience sir
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:28am On May 03, 2021
shiffynaani:
well, I'm a total newbie sir. Some are saying it's good to learn DSA first while some are saying otherwise. I just need your views on it considering your experience sir
How are you going to do the DSA without knowing a programming language. Honestly I always advise people to learn languages and platforms then learn DSA on the way

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by shiffynaani(m): 11:45am On May 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

How are you going to do the DSA without knowing a programming language. Honestly I always advise people to learn languages and platforms then learn DSA on the way
ok thanks boss
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by karkinase(m): 12:03pm On Jun 01, 2021
Nice
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Thunday1005(m): 12:41am On Jul 27, 2021
Albertone:

Yes

stanliwise
I'm interested in the whatsapp group, kindly help me with the link
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Albertone(m): 6:13am On Jul 27, 2021
Thunday1005:

Mention Stanliwise

Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by stanliwise(m): 7:36am On Jul 27, 2021
Thunday1005:

https://chat.whatsapp-com/Cy5CEK8neBV4Yc6vEcSsXP

Change - to .
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Thunday1005(m): 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2021
Albertone:

Mention Stanliwise
He has respond. Thanks

stanliwise post=104137013:

https://chat.whatsapp-com/Cy5CEK8neBV4Yc6vEcSsXP

Change - to .
Thanks
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Ashiru97(m): 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2021
R
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by bularuz(m): 7:46am On Jul 29, 2021
Karleb:
I don't know how to react to the fact that a React developer doesn't like MERN or is it MARVEL stack. cheesy

React is dope man! It has jobs but I'm sticking with Vue.

My own issue is how our people think PHP is dying and there is nothing we can do to convince them its not true. Many of them don't even have don't even have a reason to back up such ridiculous claim.

If I can't convince you PHP is not dying, how can I convince you to learn Ruby for example?

PHP still powers most website backends so it's not dying any time soon. Why Vue?
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Karleb(m): 8:57am On Jul 29, 2021
bularuz:

PHP still powers most website backends so it's not dying any time soon. Why Vue?

Because vue goes well with Laravel. I didn't even know about React when I started learning vue.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by bularuz(m): 4:15pm On Jul 29, 2021
Karleb:

Because vue goes well with Laravel. I didn't even know about React when I started learning vue.

Is there anything you do with Vue that can't be done with PHP and vanilla javascript?
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Avast(m): 6:44am On Aug 13, 2021
easy34:
I need a personal tutor in Ibadan on web development. Front End. Whatsapp me on 08169264953

How far have you gone on your Web dev path?
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by HobbiDr: 11:27am On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Where do I start from now? You just did justice to my confusion. Chai! grin

1 Like

Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by richmanrichard: 12:29pm On Aug 19, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Python unfortunately is useless for web development. There's just not much jobs or opportunitoes out there for it.
Thanks.seen!
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by sosowater: 2:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Nice write up. Thanks for the information.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by AnastasiaSin: 11:33am On Nov 17, 2021
I think becoming [url="https://dinarys.com/magento-commerce"]magento commerce developers[/url] is very promising, especially if you've got a certificate! You can register on the stock exchange or go to work for a company.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Johnnyessence(m): 7:55am On Nov 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Python unfortunately is useless for web development. There's just not much jobs or opportunitoes out there for it.
I think from my observations so far, it’s Nigeria factor that’s affecting Python developers unlike web developers in Nigeria. If you go to US or England, python developers are hotcake.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by Johnnyessence(m): 7:56am On Nov 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Python is used for web development with a framework called Django. Either that or flask. There's not many companies using that framework to build out their backend. In Nigeria I know just one company using it and they don't employ junior Devs. The number of websites globally using python backend is less than 0.8 percent.

Python has its place in data science Sha but not in web development.
exactly bro you are very right here.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by CitiOkoro(m): 10:02am On Nov 21, 2021
kiss
tensazangetsu20:

For building wordpress themes you have two options. Wordpress as a monolithic system and then headless wordpress. If you know React, I would recommend you instead go the headless wordpress way. It's a niche that is still very new and React provides speed and security. I have built a wordpress theme with wordpress as a monolithic system and it takes around 20 seconds for one page to load whereas in Gatsby and wordpress that I am using now it takes around 2 seconds. For wordpress as a monolithic system there are starter themes like underscores and understrap that you can use to develop your themes. Check them out. I haven't yet learnt how to do wordpress plugins so I can't really say anything about that. You have to be comfortable with PHP regardless of which wordpress theme route you choose. A lot of plugins will need to be rewritten to work with the wordpress rest API for headless wordpress and if you are gonna built monolithic themes then PHP would be everywhere.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by AnastasiaSin: 3:05pm On Nov 23, 2021
I think that magento commerce development solutions technologies will be an excellent solution to start learning programming, this technology is gaining more and more popularity and they are also in demand in the market.
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by oluwaniyi66(m): 6:03pm On Feb 28, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Please sir, I've learned react and I have an ecommerce project done.

Please, what material do you recommend for learning Next.js and Gatsby?
Re: How I Recommend A Newbie Goes About Learning Web Development. by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:04pm On Feb 28, 2022
oluwaniyi66:

Please sir, I've learned react and I have an ecommerce project done.

Please, what material do you recommend for learning Next.js and Gatsby?

You don't need to specifically learn Gatsby or next if you know react. You can start applying to jobs and learn your DSA well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Buy AMAZON AWS Accounts. You Can Create And Sell To Me. / I Want To Work At Google: Journey Of A Software Developer / Should One Learn Programming For The Sole Aim Of Making Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.