Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? (16067 Views)

Hustles In Nigeria That Pay More Than Some White Collar Jobs / Debate Of The Day : Self Employed Or White Collar Job, Which Is Better? / Top 10 Lucrative Blue-collar Jobs In Nigeria To Beat Graduate Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Verance: 4:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
I am a proud science teacher (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics). I applied for and studied Chemistry Education at UNIBEN and graduated as the best graduating student in my set. I am yet to go for my youth service but I can tell you that I make over 100k monthly teaching in a suburban community in Lagos here.

Though for you to make this kind of money in teaching in this my area, you must be very good and ready to work your a** out. I can't teach in one school in this community because no school can afford my services here. So I do part-time and I have two private students. Sometimes I teach from 8am to 6pm at a stretch from location to location but I am not complaining since I am getting returns for my hardwork plus I have a strong passion for teaching

P.S. The average amount secondary schools pay full-time teachers in my area is 20-25k. When I go for a teaching job, when you see my teaching skills, my professional dressing, and my education degree + TRCN certificate, you sef no go wan price me low. I can say in my community I do not know any other teacher who read Chemistry Education. I am a hot cake, I don't apply for job. Schools and individuals call me. Once I am done with my youth service, I will seek to move uptown to a blue chip school and continue to enjoy my teaching career. Yes, I will not make millions from teaching but I will leave comfortably.

Conclusion: If you are qualified, very good and teach technical subjects, you can't suffer as a teacher.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Moneyboyz: 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2020
uuzba:

Ehe!? And so?
It is the parents that pay school fees to the school. That school fees money is used for everything, maintenance, security, food, generator.... The one that reach you is the 6K..
Do you think all parents can afford the school fees and to pay such on time?

If you don't like it, protest, report to the appropriate authority or leave the school.. intact, form your own school and collect you school fees and pay your staffs. That when you will understand how the money flows in private school
This is not social media matter.

I understand how you feel and what you mean.
I don't blame the parents, if they could afford good schools they wouldn't be looking for a 6 to 10k per term school. It boils down to the Nigerian bad economy.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by zedegit: 5:12pm On Dec 11, 2020
Moneyboyz:

Come to my area, some are paying 6k

grin grin

Which area?
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Gentlebim: 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
Teaching in Nigeria is a modern slavery.... Can u imagine my proprietor made it compulsory for us to attend his church every Saturday including during the holiday. ... She takes attendance at the fellowship....

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by zedegit: 5:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
CamusMidas:

That's an open secret with the purification of private schools in every corner, after church na schools plenty plenty pass for this country.

Purification abi proliferation?

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by zedegit: 5:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
Herbephe1:
I was once asked to teach 7 subjects on top 7k monthly salary.I just looked at him,shook my head with a statement "he no go better for him". The proprietor was so surprised,young man!are you cursing me?? I replied no Sir,I'm cursing the man who directed me here ni

onecrate of your favourite drink.

Your calling is comedy. grin

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lawrenzooo: 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2020
prodigyy:

Another advice is to work in a church owned school like catholic/anglican. They pay well & they hardly owe staffs.

I don't know what you mean by pay well. I know a church owned school that pays less than 40k

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2020
zedegit:

Purification abi proliferation?
Yes.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lawrenzooo: 5:47pm On Dec 11, 2020
descarado:

That's what they always say, when u ask them where and which school, they will disappear grin

A family friend teaches at a foreign owned private school in maitama Abuja and she take home 150 as at the last time I know. Like few yrs ago.
As at 10yrs ago, a graduate of music education that teaches at unity school Abuja was collecting 130k. That was her start off salary after youth service. She was sponsored with other teachers to go for one study in France for one yr by the govt.

Study education in the uni and u will become hot cake. U will never stoop so low to apply to mushroom private schools.
Also, Lagos is clustered.
Quality teachers are needed outside Lagos especially in the middle belt and the north.
Stop Deceiving yourself. If you like be a professor in education as long as your are teaching in a conventional private school your take home is meagre. In Sokoto State the highest paying private school pays 53k. In Kebbi 38k and in Zamfara 42K. There are alot of people who studied education teaching and earning 20K. So nothing like hot cakes joor.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lawrenzooo: 5:50pm On Dec 11, 2020
icankel:
it gives married women time to take care of there family too
My brother that was in the 80's. These days some private school would want you to hang around till 4pm before going hpme

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by prodigyy(m): 6:08pm On Dec 11, 2020
Oga any sch that pays at least 25k a month is paying well.
lawrenzooo:

I don't know what you mean by pay well. I know a church owned school that pays less than 40k
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Tonylyte(m): 8:04pm On Dec 11, 2020
obonujoker:

How many pupils does the school have?

What's is the average fees per child?

How many staff(teaching and non teaching) does the school have?

You won't understand bro.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by larrypourl(m): 9:24pm On Dec 11, 2020
CalliDora1:
Nope. It depends on the school. You know private schools have levels.

At least I know saints saviour teachers earn high. Had a colleague who did her IT there and she was earning 150k. And every Christmas they are entitled to one bag of rice, 1carton of turkey and 10 litre vegetable oil + your one month salary as bonus.

The head of their school Mrs Griffin's earns in dollars. A parent told me that.
Now imagine how much their full timers will be earning.

Ive not even talked about corrona, British international High school and Loyola.

These schools are better than some company jobs.

Sis, those schools you listed, the more you look, the less you see. You'll be used and dumped and by the time you compare the work load to the pay, fees paid by students, you'll realise it doesn't worth it. You need to see how their staff slump and die anyhow. When you hear the pay, you'll be happy but by the time you join the system, you'll know what you're in for. Private schools needs serious regulations.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2020
Please kindly refer me if you have any mathematics teacher vacancy . 0seven08418five633.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by tk003(m): 9:53pm On Dec 11, 2020
lol
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by eniorisha(m): 10:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
descarado:
If u have a degree in education, u are a hot cake in govt or highly sought after private school.
Don't complain when u studied computer science and because there is no work, jump into teaching. U will be exploited to the maximum.

Hot cake? Abeg, I av a degree in education: B.Ed(English) to be precised. I'm willing to relocate anywhere abeg
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by eniorisha(m): 10:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
descarado:

That's what they always say, when u ask them where and which school, they will disappear grin

A family friend teaches at a foreign owned private school in maitama Abuja and she take home 150 as at the last time I know. Like few yrs ago.
As at 10yrs ago, a graduate of music education that teaches at unity school Abuja was collecting 130k. That was her start off salary after youth service. She was sponsored with other teachers to go for one study in France for one yr by the govt.

Study education in the uni and u will become hot cake. U will never stoop so low to apply to mushroom private schools.
Also, Lagos is clustered.
Quality teachers are needed outside Lagos especially in the middle belt and the north.

I hold a Bachelor degree in Education (English edu). I can teach English language, Literature in English, Government, Yoruba, etc effectively. Imagine we almost begged here not to be laid off at school reopening. Myself and my colleagues had to settle for a salary reduction from 15k to 12k so some of us won't be sacked. Please help a bro.

Here's my WhatsApp number: 08182896938
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 11, 2020
larrypourl:

Sis, those schools you listed, the more you look, the less you see. You'll be used and dumped and by the time you compare the work load to the pay, fees paid by students, you'll realise it doesn't worth it. You need to see how their staff slump and die anyhow. When you hear the pay, you'll be happy but by the time you join the system, you'll know what you're in for. Private schools needs serious regulations.

Wow really? They slump from too much work? Crazy.

Well.. that is why I prefer working part-time.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Yaks02(m): 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2020
dhope:

How many private school proprietors pay good salary? Infact that job is more than worst collar job but I won't blame them because there's no regulation hence everyone takes advantage to enslave others. There's no crime in opening private school but minimum standard similar to those paying well should be set by govt agency so that both employer and employee will be happy at the end but the case in this zoo country is different, NOTHING is regulated because of corruption. Nepa/Ibedc is doing his own in one corner, mtn/glo and co are doing their's, DStv and co are doing their's too, so also these wicked school proprietors.

Teaching is the most underrated profession in nigeria, I taught in a private school for 4 years earning 17k monthly. I quit because my salary can't even feed me well
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by parkervero(m): 6:30am On Dec 12, 2020
Verance:
I am a proud science teacher (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics). I applied for and studied Chemistry Education at UNIBEN and graduated as the best graduating student in my set. I am yet to go for my youth service but I can tell you that I make over 100k monthly teaching in a suburban community in Lagos here.

Though for you to make this kind of money in teaching in this my area, you must be very good and ready to work your a** out. I can't teach in one school in this community because no school can afford my services here. So I do part-time and I have two private students. Sometimes I teach from 8am to 6pm at a stretch from location to location but I am not complaining since I am getting returns for my hardwork plus I have a strong passion for teaching

P.S. The average amount secondary schools pay full-time teachers in my area is 20-25k. When I go for a teaching job, when you see my teaching skills, my professional dressing, and my education degree + TRCN certificate, you sef no go wan price me low. I can say in my community I do not know any other teacher who read Chemistry Education. I am a hot cake, I don't apply for job. Schools and individuals call me. Once I am done with my youth service, I will seek to move uptown to a blue chip school and continue to enjoy my teaching career. Yes, I will not make millions from teaching but I will leave comfortably.

Conclusion: If you are qualified, very good and teach technical subjects, you can't suffer as a teacher.

Your mouth sweet too much. There are many private school teachers that are far better than you that earn very low. So, stop bragging. I can only say favour fall on you(that made you earn that much) not by your intellectual capabilities.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by superlightning: 7:04am On Dec 12, 2020
I will NEVER be used as cheap labour by private school owners. I once did because of naivety. Some of them are not even qualified to run an educational institution.

With my Masters degree in education, I now consult for parents and schools. I have armed myself with experience, Masters degree and TRCN license. I use this to check whatever excesses I discover among school owners and parents.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by maak400: 7:36am On Dec 12, 2020
CalliDora1:
Nope. It depends on the school. You know private schools have levels.

At least I know saints saviour teachers earn high. Had a colleague who did her IT there and she was earning 150k. And every Christmas they are entitled to one bag of rice, 1carton of turkey and 10 litre vegetable oil + your one month salary as bonus.

The head of their school Mrs Griffin's earns in dollars. A parent told me that.
Now imagine how much their full timers will be earning.

Ive not even talked about corrona, British international High school and Loyola.

These schools are better than some company jobs.
Such big schools that pay well are few, 95% of private schools pay peanuts and enslave their teachers.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lawrenzooo: 8:00am On Dec 12, 2020
prodigyy:
Oga any sch that pays at least 25k a month is paying well.
By whatever Standard you look at it 25K is not a good pay.

5 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by zedegit: 9:14am On Dec 12, 2020
Gentlebim:
Teaching in Nigeria is a modern slavery.... Can u imagine my proprietor made it compulsory for us to attend his church every Saturday including during the holiday. ... She takes attendance at the fellowship....

On top how much? E reach #70k?
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by prodigyy(m): 3:35pm On Dec 12, 2020
Okay go & open one and find out if it's easy to recover all sch fees.
lawrenzooo:

By whatever Standard you look at it 25K is not a good pay.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lawrenzooo: 4:22pm On Dec 12, 2020
prodigyy:
Okay go & open one and find out if it's easy to recover all sch fees.
Madam 25K for a month is a bad pay whether it's in the bank sector or school. Someone is earning less than minimum wage and you say it's good pay. You shock me...!
I know schools that don't allow thier student resume without paying school fees. So school fee recovery is not even an excuse. If we have functional government me and u for no dey argue. If you can't at least pay minimum wage, shut down your school.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by uchesa(m): 9:28am On Dec 27, 2020
Its still a noble profession.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by deltateam: 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2020
lawrenzooo:

Madam 25K for a month is a bad pay whether it's in the bank sector or school. Someone is earning less than minimum wage and you say it's good pay. You shock me...!
I know schools that don't allow thier student resume without paying school fees. So school fee recovery is not even an excuse. If we have functional government me and u for no dey argue. If you can't at least pay minimum wage, shut down your school.

How much is minimum wage again?

#30 000 in this present economy?

You'll be very lucky if it can pay your house rent and feed you alone.

Is that what you want to achieve in life,?
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by johnyoung: 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
Chamberlin1983:
I have been working with private schools for over seven years now. And i think i stand a better chance to offer my candid opinion. Yes it is true that most private schools are agents of exploitation because they will so use you and take the good part of you without reasonable pay. This past seven years are like hell to me i couldnt opt out because its my calling and i love teaching with passion and i havnt gotten a government teaching job. At times your salary finishes before you are paid. You work like an elephant and eat like an ant. Others on the other hand will want their staff to progress. They can even offer free accomodation pay some entitlements and even send you or sponsor part of your studies. They made sure that you are comfortable.

Ouff brings back a lot of memories. It’s definitely not for everyone, not just teaching, but in Nigeria. I taught a bit over a year in Benin and it was way too intense for me. Overcrowded, overworked, sleepless nights, barely any equipment, untrained teachers - I watched this “teacher” smack one kid right in the face! And I had the stomach flu the whole time (the heat didn’t help). That was that. It felt good of course to be around the kids and participate in enriching their education, but at the cost of my health and mental well-being. I told myself, I tried to get myself to work there again but hesitated, for employment, I can do good if I find more here in the US.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by johnyoung: 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2020
When I taught in Benin it got pretty rough, especially since it was my first time and I didn't know what to expect. Yes the conditions there are are terrible. My accommodations were "okay" not as bad as other people had it, and teaching at the school was heart breaking for the first few weeks. I had a lot of enthusiastic and amazing group of kids and I wish I could teach them in better conditions. Barely any equipment and untrained local staff and teachers. A lot of nice and kind people out there, at the same time, the uneducated individuals are everywhere spreading a lot of negative messages. To find more here, in this thread, about the best days of my life, is amazing. Loving all your comments.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lereinter(m): 9:16am On Sep 14, 2021
If you must have a pgde

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dear Verified N-build Applicant, Kindly Follow Instructions Below. / Federal Road Safety Recruitment 2018/2019 – Www.frsc.gov.ng Portal / Salary For Admin Assistant At UN World Food Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.