Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,032 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? (16058 Views)

Hustles In Nigeria That Pay More Than Some White Collar Jobs / Debate Of The Day : Self Employed Or White Collar Job, Which Is Better? / Top 10 Lucrative Blue-collar Jobs In Nigeria To Beat Graduate Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by afinotanjnr(m): 11:22am On Dec 11, 2020
[quote author=1stHooligan post=96946699]flesh and blood did not reveal this to you. toiling from 7 to 4 just to be paid 14k... and 2k for lessons SMH but wetin man go do?[/quote

You can do side hustling by earning daily bonus and referring friends.
https:///Free_Xrp_Instant_Pay_Bot?start=868095884
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Ronnicute(m): 11:23am On Dec 11, 2020
PhDinView:
The last time I entered into a classroom to teach (with my Master's degree) was in 2016 for a meagre salary of 20,000 naira. I have long resigned, relocated from Benin city and now lecture in a university.

Teaching is all about passion. If you want to be comfortable or rich, please think of something else to do other than teaching.

Even as an assistant lecturer, the salary is still meagre.
Nice one. Can we discuss please, I'm on the same level with you.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:23am On Dec 11, 2020
Proprietors of private schools contribute in making it seem so.... Some collect good sums as fees from students, and pay peanuts to their teachers.

Clemmy Schools, and Egbe Lagos does well for its teachers. God bless the management.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Sheuns(m): 11:23am On Dec 11, 2020
CalliDora1:
Nope. It depends on the school. You know private schools have levels.

At least I know saints saviour teachers earn high. Had a colleague who did her IT there and she was earning 150k. And every Christmas they are entitled to one bag of rice, 1carton of turkey and 10 litre vegetable oil + your one month salary as bonus.

The head of their school Mrs Griffin's earns in dollars. A parent told me that.
Now imagine how much their full timers will be earning.

Ive not even talked about corrona, British international High school and Loyola.

These schools are better than some company jobs.

Organizations run by foreigners (west majorly) treat their workforce well due to where they are coming from. Na our people Dey suffer ourselves pass.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by descarado: 11:23am On Dec 11, 2020
lexy2014:

Which school?
That's what they always say, when u ask them where and which school, they will disappear grin

A family friend teaches at a foreign owned private school in maitama Abuja and she take home 150 as at the last time I know. Like few yrs ago.
As at 10yrs ago, a graduate of music education that teaches at unity school Abuja was collecting 130k. That was her start off salary after youth service. She was sponsored with other teachers to go for one study in France for one yr by the govt.

Study education in the uni and u will become hot cake. U will never stoop so low to apply to mushroom private schools.
Also, Lagos is clustered.
Quality teachers are needed outside Lagos especially in the middle belt and the north.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by SocialJustice: 11:28am On Dec 11, 2020
Lol, yes it is. Useless salary and heavy workload. Parents are on one side abdicating their responsibilities to teachers too.

God forbid.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by MrJavaS: 11:31am On Dec 11, 2020
It is the worst. I know of a school that pays 20k monthly but drains every ounce of energy in the teachers body

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lilmaydee(m): 11:34am On Dec 11, 2020
Bola146:
angry No but half bread is better than none

Experience has taught me that, it is better to die of hunger while waiting for a full bread than accept the half bread, because most times, even the half bread is not a better alternative to no bread at all.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by chinchonglee(m): 11:34am On Dec 11, 2020
Bola146:
That's if the bread is not spoilt!
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 11, 2020
Sheuns:

Organizations run by foreigners (west majorly) treat their workforce well due to where they are coming from. Na our people Dey suffer ourselves pass.

Exactly.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by uthlaw: 11:44am On Dec 11, 2020
uuzba:

Then you know the best solution na... Form your own private school by yourself.
Or form your own personal business and stop complaining or managing another person's own.
you see me complain!
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by coputa(m): 11:59am On Dec 11, 2020
lilmaydee:

Experience has taught me that, it is better to die of hunger while waiting for a full bread than accept the half bread, because most times, even the half bread is not a better alternative to no bread at all.
It's people like you that eats quarter bread.and tell others that you don't
Most successful people started from the bottom to Garner expensive
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by icankel: 12:11pm On Dec 11, 2020
flourishing247:
Depends on the school. I know teachers earning 300k monthly.
I also know teachers receiving 7k monthly they try missing a day in sch and get below 4k per month

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by lilmaydee(m): 12:15pm On Dec 11, 2020
coputa:
It's people like you that eats quarter bread.and tell others that you don't
Most successful people started from the bottom to Garner expensive

Hear. Hear. The professor has spoken.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by icankel: 12:15pm On Dec 11, 2020
SmartPolician:
Before you choose your career, assess the kind of life the most successful people in it live. I am afraid teaching is not a lucrative career, if you wish to make money in life.

People, most especially women, teach because they want to positively shape the lives of children. They always want to be around kids, not make money from teaching. This is why it's often said that their reward is in heaven. grin
it gives married women time to take care of there family too

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by evansjeff(m): 12:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
Handywork:
is teaching in private schools are collar job sef... if it's public it's even good
to be a teacher is condition
Teachers never get rich , nobody knows why

Talk about what you know please. I am a TEACHER and I am rich.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Bbbwings: 12:47pm On Dec 11, 2020
prodigyy:
It depends.

My mum is a sch proprietress & Godfearing.

She pays full salary first week of every month. It depends on how you coordinate yourself.

Another advice is to work in a church owned school like catholic/anglican. They pay well & they hardly owe staffs.

True. My mum is able to survive in one of these sxhools

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Katlyst(m): 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2020
uuzba:

Then you know the best solution na... Form your own private school by yourself.
Or form your own personal business and stop complaining or managing another person's own.

I understand the angle you're coming from.
Maybe the private school owners collected loan from the bank.
However, the proprietors want to quickly recoup their investments.
It is even worrisome that some private schools also engage in exam malpractice for external exams. Advertisement strategy to get more students for next session.
Atimes, high tuition fees does not necessarily mean high quality education.

To avoid future strikes, If ASUU & FG transfer the burden on parents/students by increasing school fees exponentially, most of us here will complain, while we are quick to defend the fees collected by some private schools.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 11, 2020
evansjeff:

billionaire rich

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by TinubuGoQuench(f): 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
evansjeff:

WHO DASH MONKEY BANANA?

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by ebuclassic18(m): 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
is slavery job and insults to come within most are unbearable

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by toye440: 2:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
Op pls edit, teaching in a private school for salaries below minimum wage is not a collar job, but a " Brown Collar Job".

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by donMIG(m): 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2020
Omg... Ask those who were teachers n had families to feed during the lockdown
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Necksonnel: 3:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
Bola146:

Half loaf is better than no bread. Thank you.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by obonujoker(m): 3:46pm On Dec 11, 2020
Tonylyte:
I can relate. I am an engineering student that is teaching at the moment, though money kept me away from school for 3years now after my ND and I have been teaching in a private school school for all those years with nothing to write home about. The one that happened lately is the worst. U know this term is short? A difference of 2 weeks or less from the normal running weeks of a term. My proprietress refused paying us this months salary, which was supposed to be on the 5th of this month. I know pretty well she is looking forward to pay us on the 18th-the school closing date, that is an additional of 13 days into our working weeks. U know salaries are not paid while we are on vacation. 18th runs till January the school opening month, and then a new counting date for salaries begins. This term we will be paid only 2 months salary, whereas we ran 2months and almost 2weeks. It never a good thing to teach in a private school, especially the one I am into at the moment. Never gonna wish it on any one, not even on an enemy.

How many pupils does the school have?

What's is the average fees per child?

How many staff(teaching and non teaching) does the school have?
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by obonujoker(m): 3:47pm On Dec 11, 2020
Nwaotu10:
I completely agree.

Private/mission.

I taught in a mission school earlier this year, the pay was 44k. This is a school where students pay upto 200-250k termly.

Imagine the level of slavery!

Chai... That's bad
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by obonujoker(m): 3:49pm On Dec 11, 2020
uuzba:

Ehe!? And so?
It is the parents that pay school fees to the school. That school fees money is used for everything, maintenance, security, food, generator.... The one that reach you is the 6K..
Do you think all parents can afford the school fees and to pay such on time?

If you don't like it, protest, report to the appropriate authority or leave the school.. intact, form your own school and collect you school fees and pay your staffs. That when you will understand how the money flows in private school
This is not social media matter.

Lol...they won't know na... They'd start arguing
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by Benwallt(m): 4:09pm On Dec 11, 2020
Tear tear collar job
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by adewad13(m): 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2020
Katlyst:

Such phrase does not befit the educational sector.
Poorly motivated teachers will get easily distracted by side jobs.
I thought private schools were setup to improve standard of education
due to decaying status of public schools.
Seems most private schools have turn to money making ventures by proprietors.

Yes they have turn to money making ventures by the proprietors...
School where all students clear their ssce at once....no matter how dull the students

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by evansjeff(m): 4:26pm On Dec 11, 2020
TinubuGoQuench:

WHO DASH MONKEY BANANA?

I pity you. Until you guys stop this unnecessary stereotype, some of us will keep reading comments and laughing at your ignorance. People are making legit money in this country, the earlier you realize that and look for a way to, the better for you.
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by adewad13(m): 4:26pm On Dec 11, 2020
Rapsodee:
I resigned from all private schools I was teaching because of low pay. First one 20k, second one 25k but the stress the proprietor passed me through no be play play and he still owe us lesson money till today.

Teaching in most private schools in Nigeria naa suffering.. You will finish spending your salary within one week or even before collecting it sef. Now that the prices of things are going higher and higher.

so what are you into now
Re: Opinion: Is Teaching In Private School The Worst Collar Job In Nigeria? by evansjeff(m): 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
Handywork:

billionaire rich

I may not be Dangote kind of rich but I’m definitely doing better with my teaching job than most jobs you guys idolise. Stop the unnecessary stereotypes, not all teachers are poor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

More Writers Are Needed For Long-term Project / Dear Verified N-build Applicant, Kindly Follow Instructions Below. / Salary For Admin Assistant At UN World Food Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.