Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence (12780 Views)

Deji Yesufu: Resolving Marriage Crisis The Governor Ortom Way / Woman Accuses Her Pastor Husband Of Domestic Violence / Today's Experience Changed My View On Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by 9jakool: 6:01pm On Dec 11, 2020
osuofia2:
Would people rather prefer the collapse of the marriage? human are naturally insatiable especially Nigerians.
To the best of my knowledge Governor Orthom has played his part by intervening in the crisis. God is a against divorce.
Matthew 19:6. ''Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

What worth is your marriage in the end when your abuser kills you?

The collapse of the marriage has already started when you lay your hand on your spouse.

Religion is not an excuse to lack common sense.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Jackmj(m): 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
kendrick93:
So the woman should continue receiving beatings all in the name of trying to save a marriage.
You disgust me,
I pity anyone who hands over his daughters to you and your likes..
Marriage kee u dia....
Marriage is no do or die affair..
Under no circumstance should domestic violence be condoned,
and yet you are spouting absolute nonsense about marriage...
How can a country move forward when people like you still reside in it?
tufiakwa

The woman was not forced to forgive the man. What's your own.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Farki: 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2020
alizma:

And the children moved to your house right, how much child support have you agreed to render to assist the woman take care of the children feeding, school fee and clothing while the man is behind bars?
Put him behind bars, put him behind bars. At most he will be behind bars for hitting his wife for 6 months or at most 1year. Pls tell me how much support you have planned to render when the family is separated. Rather than talking about putting him behind bars, why not talk about counseling on how to handle the family finance, love and respect for each other? Don't you think 4children with the guy and his wife is enough responsibility to get a fragile man frustrated? Probably you think the guy earns his salary in millions?

She's a doctor, she has a job, or if he should kill her now and go to jail who will take care of the children.

The way some men on this forum reason is sick. angry

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by kmst1: 6:56pm On Dec 11, 2020
Farki:

She's a doctor, she has a job, or if he should kill her now and go to jail who will take care of the children.

The way some men on this forum reason is sick. angry

She's a doctor so
She has a job so
Did she tell you she wants your so called single mother life?
Both parties have to settle the dispute and continue their marriage and the husband has promised to never try the rubbish again
Why you come dey carry am for your head

E be like say husband and wife matter never put you for trouble
They maybe somewhere enjoying themselves now and you are here saying they must divorce
Na you wed them?
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Splitmind: 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2020
kmst1:

Please and please I've been on this forum for years I've never insulted anyone
Dont go personal cos you don't even know me

When your daughter gets married and has issues you can go ahead and preach divorce to her instead of trying to see how you can help

The guy has agreed to stop the stupid thing
The lady has agreed to keep loving him if he stops so what's your problem again
No be your marriage

You can move on with your single mother life generation while sane parents who have had experience with marriage try to teach these young ones how it should be
People keep growing as time goes on in marriage
Some couples went through hell but later realized how to handle themselves better

Like i said you can go ahead and preach divorce to your daughter let her come back to your house and stay with you

I dispise people who at any instance a problem springs between them and other people the first suggestion they have is hate and breakup or divorce (marriage being the case)
Cant you reason beyond that?

Don't you have empathy at all?

This woman is being brutalised and if she didn't come online we would not have known. You seem more concerned with keeping up appearances than her wellbeing. This isn't a minor problem like her refusing to get him a cup of tea, this is a serious issue and I am seriously wondering if some men on this forum are OK mentally after going through this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Farki: 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2020
kmst1:

She's a doctor so
She has a job so
Did she tell you she wants your so called single mother life?
Both parties have to settle the dispute and continue their marriage and the husband has promised to never try the rubbish again
Why you come dey carry am for your head

E be like say husband and wife matter never put you for trouble
They maybe somewhere enjoying themselves now and you are here saying they must divorce
Na you wed them?

Just say you hate women I will understand. undecided

If she dies now you will he happy abi? How can you say there is love in this marriage after looking at the marks on her face? After seeing her like that? If you were in her shoes would you be happy?

If a boss should hit his worker on the head with a plank should we just be looking?

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by kmst1: 7:12pm On Dec 11, 2020
Splitmind:

Don't you have empathy at all?

This woman is being brutalised and if she didn't come online we would not have known. You seem more concerned with keeping up appearances than her wellbeing. This isn't a minor problem like her refusing to get him a cup of tea, this is a serious issue and I am seriously wondering if some men on this forum are OK mentally after going through this thread.
I sympathize with her and every other woman going through such pain but many of them can never survive this harsh country as single mothers so if there is a way to settle it amicably without such reoccurring again then why not

She's lucky she has a job many of her kind going through it don't have a way out to support themselves

I'm never in support of domestic abuse in anyway please don't make it sound like I'm in support of the guy in question
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by kmst1: 7:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
Farki:

Just say you hate women I will understand. undecided

If she dies now you will he happy abi? How can you say there is love in this marriage after looking at the marks on her face? After seeing her like that? If you were in her shoes would you be happy?

If a boss should hit his worker on the head with a plank should we just be looking?

Why would you think i have natural hate for any gender

Thank God she's not dead

You are not the one to tell them if they love themselves hereafter or not

If i was the one why would i be happy?
Of course not but if i have a reason to see beyond the situation at hand of which he has promised to change then

The guy has promised never to do it again
The lady has a forgiving heart
The Gov took the right step cos as an elderly person the first approach to these kind of issues is reconciliation if any of the parties involved wants divorce then so be it but in this case she see's the need to give him another chance
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Xantel(f): 8:45pm On Dec 11, 2020
Abeg he did well jare.
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by delpee(f): 9:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
It's up to the woman. Her life, her choice.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Godbless3(m): 9:27pm On Dec 11, 2020
abbey621:

What will a human rights lawyer in Nigeria, someone that is still hungry do? Worse comes to worst, they will land the man in jail right? Does this solve the problem that most women are still over reliant on their husband for survival? This case is different because the woman is a doctor but for many women suffering domestic violence the solution is not very simple.

Until human rights organizations or government can guarantee this women a secure form of livelihood after leaving their husband, these women would prefer to die at home than to LEAVE! As a nation, we have to start tackling the root cause instead of the symptoms, we have to support these humanitarians and NGOs as well because even if they have the resources for one or 10 people, can they handle the thousands of cases in 9ja?

What i meant was social media is not the rolution.
You can't just sitdown and assume NGO's or human right can't handle these issues but try and lets see.
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by abbey621(m): 9:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
Godbless3:

What i meant was social media is not the rolution.
You can't just sitdown and assume NGO's or human right can't handle these issues but try and lets see.

True!
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Godbless3(m): 9:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
abbey621:

What will a human rights lawyer in Nigeria, someone that is still hungry do? Worse comes to worst, they will land the man in jail right? Does this solve the problem that most women are still over reliant on their husband for survival? This case is different because the woman is a doctor but for many women suffering domestic violence the solution is not very simple.

Until human rights organizations or government can guarantee this women a secure form of livelihood after leaving their husband, these women would prefer to die at home than to LEAVE! As a nation, we have to start tackling the root cause instead of the symptoms, we have to support these humanitarians and NGOs as well because even if they have the resources for one or 10 people, can they handle the thousands of cases in 9ja?

We all knows what elders/pastors gonna say abt abusive marraige.
Whats your take, post it on SN? or just sitdown and pray?
We just hv to do something.
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by abbey621(m): 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2020
Godbless3:

We all knows what elders/pastors gonna say abt abusive marraige.
Whats your take, post it on SN? or just sitdown and pray?
We just hv to do something.

The onus will always be on victim. You can't help someone that does not feel they need help. The court can only assist when a clear case i brought before it. Victims of domestic abuse running to NGOs who later abandons them after 2-3 years are much more likely to return to their abuser or enter into another abusive relationship. The matter deep pass what we are thinking!
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Friend22(m): 10:00pm On Dec 11, 2020
Chii59:
Would Gov Ortom reconcile his daughter with a wife beating husband? I doubt.
The way we romanticise evil.
We forgive polithiefcians, silence rape victims and victims of domestic violence.
We respect and defend sexual predators in our religious institutions... The list is endless.
The Nigerian society is a dysfunctional one. undecided

I quite agree with you that Nigeria society is dysfunctional because busy bodies like you won't learn to shut their trap than be doing the job of an unsolicited judge.

Don't move on with your life and be splitting your hair over what's none of business.

1 Like

Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Godbless3(m): 11:07pm On Dec 11, 2020
abbey621:

The onus will always be on victim. You can't help someone that does not feel they need help. The court can only assist when a clear case i brought before it. Victims of domestic abuse running to NGOs who later abandons them after 2-3 years are much more likely to return to their abuser or enter into another abusive relationship. The matter deep pass what we are thinking!

There is no domestic abuse case that last 2-3years in court. NGO or human right lawyers will provide a platform for court proceeding while social media is just for name calling, insult and clout chasing.
You just sitdown and discredit these NGO's like they have no relevant which you're wrong.
Stop assuming things and get close to some ngo's that has a good int'l link.
Or are you saying pastors and elders/governore give a better councelling tn abuse?
Explore lifes and stop assuming from your home.
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 11, 2020
Friend22:
[s]

I quite agree with you that Nigeria society is dysfunctional because busy bodies like you won't learn to shut their trap than be doing the job of an unsolicited judge.

Don't move on with your life and be splitting your hair over what's none of business.[/s]
Re: Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence by abbey621(m): 1:22am On Dec 12, 2020
Godbless3:

There is no domestic abuse case that last 2-3years in court. NGO or human right lawyers will provide a platform for court proceeding while social media is just for name calling, insult and clout chasing.
You just sitdown and discredit these NGO's like they have no relevant which you're wrong.
Stop assuming things and get close to some ngo's that has a good int'l link.
Or are you saying pastors and elders/governore give a better councelling tn abuse?
Explore lifes and stop assuming from your home

Sounds like you're the one making the assumptions as I have never said pastors or elders are better counsellors or providers and keep shut, I personally know of one case that has been postponed or delayed for the past 3 years. Furthermore, I have audited several NGOs as part of my job over the past decade and I serve as treasurer for one here in Atlanta. The problem with most NGOs in Nigeria is that they cannot support the victim past the initial phase, you rarely see one able to provide shelter or income beyond a year, in fact majority of those seeking help are turned down or only provided cosmetic help that lasts temporarily. The average Nigerian stuggles to feed and survive, how much more a victim of domestic violence still traumatized. You honestly believe such a person will not go back to the abuser or quickly rush into another relationship for survival?

I know you love to live in el-dorado and play your little fantasy but the fact remains most NGOs in Nigeria need huge donations and more support, they are not equipped to fight this heavy battle and their solution often does not last more than a couple of months. If you disagree with this then continue arguing with your phone.....No point in going in circles!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladies, Would You Date/marry A Guy; 10 Years Older Than You? (photo) / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? / Best Soap For Washing Machine.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.