Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains (882 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / Photos As President Buhari Sealed $6 Billion Loan, Signs Currency Swap Deal / APC Spent N5 Billion On Buhari’s Chatham House Speech, PDP Campaign Alleges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Jen33(m): 1:03pm On Mar 25, 2011
Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains

The drive by Goodluck Jonathan to get the country moving gathers steam, as he pledges $6 Billion on locomotives in an all out drive to make Nigeria the RAIL HUB of West Africa.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-25/nigeria-to-spend-912-billion-naira-on-locomotives-punch-says.html
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Jen33(m): 1:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
What a transformation we're witnessing. smiley This will revolutionize transport in the country.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by blacksta(m): 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2011
Mr Poster

Can i know how $6 bill will be sourced - I am not interested in election jingles - i am still contending with the promises yar adua made before he passed away. funny enough we see dont any more 7 point agenda jingles on NTA. WHAT HAPPENED .
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Jen33(m): 1:25pm On Mar 25, 2011
blacksta said:

Mr Poster

Can i know how $6 bill will be sourced

How $6 billion will be sourced? Do you realize Nigeria makes over $350 million per day from oil exports alone? With $40 billion in reserves as we speak? With the current budget based on $75 per barrel price as opposed to real current price of $115?

Dude, the money isn't a problem at all for Nigeria.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Pharoh: 1:27pm On Mar 25, 2011
This is very good news and hope to see changes soon.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On Mar 25, 2011
If this is a continuation of the same -- no UPGRADES but simply replacing our existing with more of the same, this is terrible!
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Jen33(m): 3:30pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^ u not happy, take the fvcking bus.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by EzeUche2(m): 3:34pm On Mar 25, 2011
Goodluck is bringing goodluck to this country. It is sad many Nairalanders have not realized this.

Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Mar 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]If this is a continuation of the same -- no UPGRADES but simply replacing our existing with more of the same, this is terrible![/size]
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by DisGuy: 3:42pm On Mar 25, 2011
for Bleep sake read the article, same thing was posted on punch website and there is nothing linking it to the government!!!

it was a manager giving his recommendation!!

The Federal Government will spend N912bn to procure 200 new locomotives required by the Nigerian Railway Corporation to meet current demand for its services nationwide.

The 25 new locos just delivered to the corporation by the General Electric of the United States cost the government N114bn.

Going by this calculation, one locomotive costs N4.56bn even though experts put the average cost at about N5bn.

The Lagos Railway District Manager, Mr. John Dottie, said train operations were gradually picking up following the delivery of the new engines. He, however, noted that at least 200 sound locomotives would be required to meet the country’s demand.

He told our correspondent on Tuesday that a larger number of the locos would be devoted to mass transit trains, while the others would cater for freight trains.

Specifically, he said that while about 60 per cent of the engines would be dedicated to the mass transit trains in Lagos, Kano, Enugu and three other states; the other 40 per cent would be reserved for the needs in the freight service.

With the introduction of the 25 new engines, which were inaugurated less than two weeks ago, Dottie said, “Passenger number is increasing by the day. In fact, the trains are still congested. But the NRC management is doing something to improve the situation. We are refurbishing old coaches to accommodate more trains.”

The corporation, according to him, currently moves between 16,000 and 20,000 passengers everyday in the Lagos district alone.

He said the NRC had the capacity to carry 50,000 passengers everyday if it had enough locomotives and other rolling stock for the operation.

“With sound locos and more coaches, we can run more trains. And the people will have stress free rides,” Dottie said.

The RDM also hinted of plans to increase the frequency of the Lagos trains and run a train every hour at the end of this month.

He said a deliberate policy of consistent investment in the nation’s railways was necessary to keep the system going.

For instance, he recommended the purchase of 25 new locomotives with other rolling stock on an annual basis to keep pace with railway development in other countries.

cant pull the wool over our eyes!! the reporter basically did some little  calculation and put govt stamp on it
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Kobojunkie: 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2011
Thank God this stupid idea is not close to what was purported. Bloomberg needs to get their reporters doing better.
Nigeria will spend about 912 billion naira ($5.9 billion) to buy 200 locomotives, Punch reported, without saying how it got the information.

Nigerian Railway Corp. has already taken delivery of 25 locomotives from Connecticut-based General Electric Co. at a cost of 114 billion naira, the Lagos-based newspaper said.

About 60 percent of the trains will be dedicated to passenger services in Lagos, Kano, Enugu and three other states, while the remainder will be reserved for freight services, Punch said, citing John Dottie, Lagos railway district manager.

To contact the reporter on this story: Vincent Nwanma in Lagos via Accra at vnwanma@bloomberg.net.

This is weak reporting!
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Pharoh: 3:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^

They referenced the punch newspapers so the blame should go to punch but truly this is very wrong reporting.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Mar 25, 2011
I hold bloomberg to higher standards is why I still blame bloomberg for passing on the news in the way it did.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Pharoh: 4:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^

You are right but i am thinking that sometimes maybe this foreign media houses put some form of credibility on their nigerian counterpart and do not need to investigate much before referencing them.

It is like BBC referencing 234next and sahara reporters and the story later falls into this category. I would have rated the punch newspapers as well as one of the credible newspapers in nigeria. Maybe i am wrong and i think something of such might have happened in this case of bloomberg and punch.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Mar 25, 2011
hey, like I said . ,
Kobojunkie:

I hold bloomberg to higher standards is why I still blame bloomberg for passing on the news in the way it did.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by DisGuy: 4:13pm On Mar 25, 2011
this should join Sagamite's growing list of useless journalism, mumu referenced mumu, i bet they used to work together

Vincent Nwanma vs rasheed bisiriyu

will fire him and his oga an email! his p45 should be in the post by monday
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by Pharoh: 4:21pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^

You wicked ooo but that's the problem of sharing news between padi padi correspondents but there should be an editor for news like this. This is high profile information that could get investors making inquiries when nothing of such exits in the plans of the federal government.
Re: Rail Revolution: Nigeria To Spend $6 Billion On 200 Trains by DisGuy: 4:24pm On Mar 25, 2011
no at worst he will withdraw his lazy 'report' and get him to read before using a reference next time

(1) (Reply)

I Was Offered N10m Bribe – Returning Officer ! / Ribadu Remains In Presidencial Race! Cpc/Acn Talk Fails / Are Right Handed Leaders Special Breed ? E.g Lincoln, Churchill, Jakande

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.