Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,206 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Oni Was A Chief Priest - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oni Was A Chief Priest (23625 Views)

Students Who Killed Our Sacred Python Are In Grave Danger – Owerri Chief Priest / Chinese Man, Mike Zhang Crowned A Chief In Kano, Nigerians React (video) / Man Undergoes Spiritual Cleansing In A River To Become A Chief In Bayelsa.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Lmaooo... At the bolded.. u've started hallucinating again...

So as it stands, u are abandoning ur stance that the word eko was formally oko... Rather its the word eko flowed into Benin lexicon through the Yoruba and Dutch even when their own words doesn't even sound similar...
Like I said, wait for death before you actually die. Stop dying before death.

Everyone can already see through your insecurities and fears.

And guess what, this piece of your lie-rooted history is about to be washed off as I always do — with evidence. grin

Moreover, can you please educate us on how the claim that “Eko” was from “Oko” is mutually exclusive to the fact-based-finding that “Eko” flowed into Benin lexicon from Yoruba/Dutch (and not the other way round) ?? grin grin

We are all patiently listening to read your great exposition of how these two are mutually exclusive, aka contradictory. cheesy

Oh also, I have not said anything about what “Eko” means in Dutch or Yoruba. I only talked about what it later came to mean in Benin language. Stop pretending to be a mind reader, which you even do poorly. cheesy

Listen, no matter how hard you attempt to distract. This piece of Benin lie is also going down.

We'll soon be expecting citation from a 1734 work where the Oba of Benin was praised as ikeji orisha by Benin chiefs

Abi Zombie nor go chop
I have no business with how you Binis praise your Oba — at least not at the moment.

I was only exposing your lies and hypocrisy when you tried to distance yourself from your own Edo site claiming it was hacked by a Yoruba man. Lol!

1 Like 7 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 9:52pm On Jan 02, 2021
gregyboy:
••• This is 2020, all these long unnecessary talks are not needed
No this is 2021.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
No this is 2021.

You beging to grow ovaries to quote me these days directly.....

Aint you aware you got bi-polar issue's
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2021
gregyboy:

You beging to grow ovaries to quote me these days directly.....

Aint you aware you got bi-polar issue's
Because you’re my rag.

See below and explain what it means. cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2021
Tao at first said that the word eko was formally oko and it was given by the Ijebu...

Note that the oko here means farm

Now she is saying the word eko which means camp in Benin was introduced into the Benin language through Yoruba and Dutch ..

If actually it was introduced, it would have been or sound similar to either(Yoruba or Dutch) language word for camp and this is not the case... Rather
Eko is Benin word for camp
Ibudo is Yoruba word for camp
Legerplaats is Dutch word for camp

This 3 words have completely different pronunciations... This debunks her claim that the word eko was a word borrowed from either Yoruba or Dutch...

Also.. note that if actually the word oko which means farm in Yoruba was the originator of the word Eko, then eko would have actually meant farm in Benin language...
Put differently, if oko means farm and it was borrowed by Benin to form eko, its only logical that the word would have had the same meaning with the Original word .. instead
Eko - camp
Oko(the supposed originator of the word eko) means farm

To further explain this, let's look at some loanwords in English and how similar they sound to the original word

Bibios from Greek and in English is called Bible
Circul from Latin and in English , Circle

This and many more are examples that contradicts the fakes that Tao intend spreading here

Samuk valirex gregyboy Etrusen areafada2

Ever since she discovered my other moniker,she has been hallucinating since... I understand her case... I've had many patients do like that...

Well I'm patiently waiting for the 1757 work that The oba was praised as ikeji orisha.. stop giving bs.. Abi u want make I call hellraiser77 to deal with u again

Modified: One zombie just said that Eko is an Awori dialect... Disregard him Pls... He's a mental patient

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Olu317(m): 10:17pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Yours is a clear case of a dummy who thinks himself as cunning. grin

Show me a screenshot of the page where you found that the actual body of the translation mentions the names: Micheal Crowder, Ade Ajayi, et al.

You may need a dictionary at this stage to appreciate what a translation is and what a translator's annotation (or footnote, or commentary) is. cheesy

Yes! Both you and I know that you understand exactly what you’re doing. Or don’t you? grin

You’re only trying hard to cover up for your mess up. cheesy

And the best way you thought to do that is to pretend to be ignorant of the meaning of “translation” and of “footnote”.

You obviously never get tired of being disgraced. Do you?

@samuk, I know this is only one of your cheap pleadings with which you seek to save face and soak in disgrace whenever it becomes unbearable.

However, I decided (for the fun of it) to painstakingly read through some of the early 1600s manuscript folios of Ahmad Baba’s “Mi‘rāj al-Su‘ūd“ to extract the actual folio in question for you.

By so doing I will be giving you the fresh and golden opportunity to be creative with yet another special pleading. cheesy

As such, find embedded below the actual folio from where the translators have done their translation — showing the list of the ethnic-linguistic groups with Baba’s Arabic original of the name “Yoruba” particularly highlighted for you.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12924497_5f8c8fcd48c848d2b88df144cbb2812c_jpeg_jpegf6b00ae4ee5f6daa0c3a908bef599eb7

The link below goes to some more folios of this same manuscript where this particular folio is also present.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/The_Ladder_of_Ascent_in_Obtaining_the_Procurements_of_the_Sudan-_Ahmad_Baba_Answers_a_Moroccan’s_Questions_about_Slavery_WDL9661.pdf

Compare and contrast with the earlier translation as embedded below:

http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdouga/Hist347/autumn%202012/additional%20readings/ahmad_baba.pdf

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12916030_35bd589040034203aa5d7d687c1da64a_jpeg_jpeg5d6dcb71a92c88b75b7bd3b5b6f4593f
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12916031_bce6e5f2e3254df19e5858797b6be638_jpeg_jpega9555b89c3b33922d09a96bffaab55da

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, Saintbehot, reallest, gomojam, Balogunodua, babtoundey, Ideadoctor, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Olu317, Amujale
Awesome

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Na true Sha... Na wetin I be wan try tell Samuk. ... Her obsession is about our tribe... Not even the Fulani that is still in control of their town

Make I go do better thing jare... U be correct guy

Yea, drop all your evidence and move, while quietly monitoring her response, not all her comment you reply to, if the evidence you dropped covers it, no need replying are obvious ignorant comments
Remeber is the viewers who are the judge not you or her

You have also debated these issue before and you flogged her well , its saddens me she is making you do it again to kill her Boredom and satisfy her sexual Festism ,

Everyone should learn how to debate in a simple and civil way, while still passing the information, unnecessary noise should be avoided if possible

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
Haha! The brotherly love and fake consolation is much needed.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 10:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Folks, I will in due course be demonstrating (with evidence as usual) that:

The word “Eko” which is now part of the Bini lexicon (and simply meaning “camp” ) actually flowed into the Benin language from the Yorubas/Dutch — from the period when the Bini migrants came to trade (and live) in Lagos.

It was actually not the other way round as many Binis have been trying to make everyone belief.

A lot of Benin falsehoods have been popularized since the later part of the 1900s.

It is our duty to refute and correct such falsehoods one at a time as we come to possess such evidence.

I have just stumbled on some of such evidence which debunks the popular direction of the borrowing.

Stay tuned for this guys.

Cheers!

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, Saintbehot, reallest, gomojam, Balogunodua, babtoundey, Ideadoctor, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Olu317, Amujale, OgboAto, macof, Christistruth00

According to Osifekunde's Slave Narrative Eko was what the Ijebu traders called Lagos while the Benin called Lagos Kuramo.

Benin ruled Lagos and the Ijebu reconquered Lagos and drove out Benin that is why the Ijebu still have had a strong hold on Lagos Commercially till today.

Isale Eko of Lagos Island is a remnant of the Conquered Benin and the Oba of Lagos (isale Eko) is even of Ijesha ancestry .

Ikoyi part was Conquered by Oyo Pirates from Ikoyi in Osun State.

Document Translation:

"Eco(Èkó) is the name given to it by the yebous (Ijebu)... The Benin call it Korame"

Futhermore, the text says
".. Korame etait unie a sa metropole par la langue de terre resserree entre la grande lagune et la mer; mais des longtemps les yebous se sont empares..."

"Korame (Lagos) was formerly larger, included a metropolis between the Great lagoon and the sea but for a long time the yebous (Ijebu) seized this area"

Futher the text says

"dont l'extremite orientale a ete envahie par les pirates Ouyo; et Korame est restee isolee au bout de la grande lagune, continuant a recevoir du Benin"

"the Eastern part of this area (Ikoyi) was invaded by pirates from Ouyo(Oyo) and what is left of Korame is the isolated end towards the great Lagoon (Isale Eko) this is all that is controlled by Benin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osifekunde

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:23pm On Jan 02, 2021
Olu317:
Awesome
Thank you brother.

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:26pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:
••• Benin ruled Lagos and the Ijebu reconquered Lagos and drove out Benin that is why the Ijebu have had a strong hold on Lagos Commercially till today. •••
Thank you!

I was going to use that 1845 material amongst others in my argument which I will still put forward nonetheless. grin

However, can you provide your evidence of where Benin ruled Lagos?

As well as your evidence for where Ijebu conquered Lagos?

Thanks! smiley

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, Saintbehot, reallest, gomojam, Balogunodua, babtoundey, Ideadoctor, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Olu317, Amujale, OgboAto, macof, Christistruth00

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:28pm On Jan 02, 2021
Even Lagos account doesn't have an account of when they paid tributes to ijebu .. its allowed Sha...

Hallucination is legal in this part of the world

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 10:28pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Because you’re my rag.

See below and explain what it means. cheesy

Yea, i did the part i called you insane and a psycho indeed you truly are

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Even Lagos account doesn't have an account of when they paid tributes to ijebu .. its allowed Sha... •••
Thank you oo! cheesy
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

"the Eastern part of this area (Ikoyi) was invaded by pirates from Ouyo(Oyo) and what is left of Korame is the isolated end towards the great Lagoon (Isale Eko) this is all that is controlled by Benin
First of all, the “Ouyo” mentioned in the text is not Oyo. It is Ijaw. I have the material too, and it is made clear from other parts of the material that Ijaw is being referred to as Ouyo.

The rendition used for OYo in the same material is Eyo.

Moreover, the word you translated as invaded is actually infiltrated — with no connotation of military occupation whatsoever.

Finally, the text doesn’t talk of Benin having any control over any part of Lagos island occupied by indigenous people.

The only are the Binis were restricted to is the part of Lagos island allocated to them. It is from here they controlled themselves and report back to their King.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Thank you oo! cheesy

We are not friends... Dont mention me

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 10:38pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Thank you!

I was going to use that 1845 material amongst others in my argument which I will still put forward nonetheless. grin

However, can you provide your evidence of where Benin ruled Lagos?

As well as your evidence for where Ijebu conquered Lagos?

Thanks! smiley

to tell you the truth the only evidence is Osifekunde's narrative the Awori and other Yoruba including Ooni insist and the evidence on ground supports this, that Oba of Lagos is a Merchant King eg the Babaloja of the Lagos Slave and European Market.

That is why the Yorubas continued insisting that the Eleko of Eko was a Baale Position.
his territory covers about less than 10 Streets on Lagos Island. Historically he Controlled Trade and not Territory

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:39pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:

We are not friends... Dont mention me
Yes we are not.

Your point which you made supports mine even without you realizing — that is what I pointed to you. cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:41pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

to tell you the truth the only evidence is Osifekunde's narrative the Awori and other Yoruba including Ooni insist and the evidence on ground supports this, that Oba of Lagos is a Merchant King eg the Babaloja of the Lagos Slave and European Market.
Osifekunde narrative doesn’t say that either. That’s the point I am making. I have the material too. Lol.

You simply read words into the original.

That’s what scholars call interpretation and not translation.

That is why the Yorubas continued insisting that the Eleko of Eko was a Baale Position.
his territory covers about less than 10 Streets on Lagos Island. Historically he Controlled Trade and not Territory
Whatever his territory, he is a KING.

The unchanging fact however is that it is a non-Benin dynasty.

And the text which I also have doesn’t say Benin had control over Lagos island or Lagos. Neither does it say Ijebu have control over Lagos island.

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:41pm On Jan 02, 2021
Korame doesn't mean anything in Benin...

Where una dey get all this useless quotations

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Osufekunde narrative doesn’t say that either. That’s the point I am making. I have the material too. Lol.

You simply read words into the original.

That’s what scholars call interpretation and not translation.

OK
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by davidnazee: 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
And where did I claim that some statements are absent in mine (the original) but are found in yours (the edited) ?? cheesy

Nay! I simply exposed you that the Oba made certain statements in mine (the original version) which you have edited out from yours (the edited version). The direct opposite. cheesy

It is interesting that the parts you edited out shows him issuing disclaimers that ultimately damages your “Benin owns Lagos” propaganda.

The Oba stated clearly in a general sense (in the unedited version) that he is not infallible. He also stated that Lagos does not belong to Benin Kingdom.

Having done the exposition of your fraudulent attempt, I proceeded to refute a specific part of his interview — particularly where he says that:

"The first Oba of Lagos is a male descendant of the Oba of Benin".

I assumed (for the sake of my refutation) that what he meant here is that Ashipa (the first Eleko) is a Benin prince — son of the Benin king, or something to the same effect.

Of all his claims in the interview, it is this specific one that I clearly identified as inaccurate.

I stated clearly that such a claim is only a reiteration of the 1950s Benin account propagated and popularized by the Bini ‘historian’ Chief Egharevba.

I proceeded to debunk this specific claim with evidence by citing Lagos account rather than the popular later-day Benin account which he reiterates perhaps unknowingly.

The Lagos account (as historians call it) has been in existence many, many decades earlier than the Benin account; and also many decades earlier than Oba Akiolu or Chief Egharevba themselves.

In short, the Lagos account have been collected and published by colonial officers since the days of Oba Akiolu’s ancestors.

The Lagos account states clearly that (1) Lagos island was not conquered by Benin; and (2) Ashipa is a Yoruba man — one of the Isheri Chiefs of Ife royal descent.

Refer below again to a relevant section of the Lagos account from page 43 of Sir Alan Burns‘ History of Nigeria, 1929.

This 1929 account below is said by Robert Smith to be based on the two earlier Lagos account publications by Rev. J. B. Wood in 1878 and by Rev. J. B. Losi in 1914.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12768161_03c5f455ca6c4a4983a0bf2594607f69_jpeg_jpegcd0c447085360c921debd85d0f8869cd

Considering the Lagos account (attached above), it becomes clear that Oba Akiolu’s claim, of saluting the Benin king at Enuwa on the occasion of a new Eleko’s ascension, is not out of place.

The Benin king is clearly admitted in the Lagos account to have earned Ashipa’s unwavering loyalty. And this continued into custom with Ashipa’s descendants and successors to the throne.

Also, the song which according to Oba Akiolu goes “baba awa [our father]” was born in Benin city is also not out of place — I have earlier stated that Ado’s mother is a Benin woman; while his father Ashipa is the Yoruba man.

Again, the Lagos account (which I have obviously cited repeatedly) are older than this video. grin

For me, the Oba’s disclaimer here that Lagos does not belong to Benin kingdom (despite his reiteration of the Benin account) is a clear indication that his narrative is an innocent confused syncretism of the indigenous Lagos account and the latter-day Benin account.

LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, Saintbehot, reallest, gomojam, Balogunodua, babtoundey, Ideadoctor, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Olu317, Amujale

You are still battling your inner demons lol...
no worry, the Edo stain/stigma on Lagos and Yoruba can't be erased lol..
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 10:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Korame doesn't mean anything in Benin...

Where una dey get all this useless quotations

The Portugese first called Lagos Kuramo and the Benin were their biggest trade Partners so it didn't take long to catch on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:
Yes we are not.

Your point which you made supports mine even without you realizing — that is what I pointed to you. cheesy

Well the difference is that there is evidence of Benin collecting tributes, having overall influence over the political class and the burial of Lagos kings in Benin of which Ijebu does not have...

Its just that that Lagos account is trying to save face by claiming that they were not invaded but were brainwashed by the Benin into handing over their power to strangers

Pathetic
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

The Portugese first called Lagos Kuramo and the Benin were their biggest trade Partners so it didn't take long to catch on.

I've never heard that...

All I know is that it was called Lagos by the Portuguese meaning lakes..

And still, till now, there is no use of the word kuramo or korame in the Benin lexicon
There are Portuguese words in Benin language as a result of interaction as u noted
Like the word spoon ..

In Benin it means ekuye but in Portuguese it means colher... Sound similar but it's just one of the numerous Portuguese words in Benin land of which kuramo is not amon

If i may ask, what does kuramo or korame mean in Portuguese
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 10:56pm On Jan 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

First of all, the “Ouyo” mentioned in the text is not Oyo. It is Ijaw. I have the material too, and it is made clear from other parts of the material that Ijaw is being referred to as Ouyo.

Secondly, the word you translated as invaded is actually infiltrated — with no connotation of military occupation whatsoever.

Finally, the text doesn’t talk of Benin having any control over any part of Lagos island occupied by indigenous people.

The only area the Binis were restricted to is the part of Lagos island allocated to them. It is from here they controlled themselves and report back to their King.

Be wary of unconsciously superimposing a general narrative upon a text.

Translation is not one and the same thing as interpretation.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2021
TAO11:

Secondly, the word you translated as invaded is actually infiltrated — with no connotation of military occupation whatsoever.

The only area the Binis were restricted to is the part of Lagos island allocated to them. It is from here they controlled themselves and report back to their King.

Be wary of unconsciously superimposing a general narrative upon a text.

Translation is not one and the same thing as interpretation.

But the Onikoyi of Ikoyi whose family Occupy the Eastern Part of Lagos Island is of ethnic Oyo Origin from Ikoyi in Osun State.
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Well the difference is that there is evidence of Benin collecting tributes
Yes, the Lagos account clearly says that — noting that Ashipa was bound to the Benin king by ties of gratitude.

No where does it say that Ashipa was bound to the Oba of Benin by ties of blood, neither does it say anywhere that he was bound to him by ties of conquest. cheesy

The payments were thus for gratitude to the Oba of Benin for backing him to establish independence from Iddo particularly.

The tribute was never for a non-existent conquest, neither was it due to a non-existent blood connection with Ashipa.

having overall influence over the political class
Overall influence? Where? grin This must the 2021 update to the Egharevba hallucinations. grin

and the burial of Lagos kings in Benin
Yes, the evidence for this claim of burial comes from Robert Smith.

But guess what, he clarified that the body is taken to Benin after the head has been removed. cheesy

What does this confirm?
It confirms the traditional Lagos claim that Ado’s father is Yoruba, while his mother is Benin.

In other words, the late King’s head is for the father’s land; while the body is for the mother’s land.

This resonates at once with the practice between IFE and Benin kings:

The father’s land (IFE) takes the head, while the mother’s land (Benin) takes the body. cheesy

The Yoruba insists — “Ori ade kii sun ita”. Meaning: “The crowned head is not to be entombed in a foreign land”.

This again proves the fact that the Lagos dynasty is a patrilineal Yoruba dynasty.

of which Ijebu does not have...
Thanks for proving my point. I never said the Ijebu have such particular ties to Lagos.

The influence of the Ijebus in the Lagos monarchy is almost entirely religious. The religious influence include and perhaps not limited to:

Oshugbo” (the Ijebu name for the “Ogboni” group), the “Eyo” masquerade play which must be performed for an incoming Eleko.

NB: Ijebu is not necessarily equivalent to Ijebu-Ode.

Its just that that Lagos account is trying to save face by claiming that they were not invaded
cheesy There is no evidence for this since the Lagos account was the earliest account with no earlier account (from the EUrOpEaNs or Benin) contradicting it. grin

but were brainwashed by the Benin into handing over their power to strangers
Brainwashed??

No, I’d say rather say Ashipa simply used the Oba of Benin (to gain independence from Iddo) and then his descendants dumped your Oba afterwards (by giving him no further dime).

So, it was a case of use and dump — if you must be petty. grin

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 12:01am On Jan 03, 2021
davidnazee:
••• the Edo stain/stigma on Lagos and Yoruba can't be erased lol..
Edo is supposed to be a stain and stigma wherever it goes to?? shocked

Very revealing. Please tell me more. grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 12:07am On Jan 03, 2021
Need to go sleep...
The First pic below

Lagos paid tributes to Benin for 200+ years after the death of ashipa till the ouster of Oba Kosoko

Source: The Lagos consulate, Robert Smith... In his references to that particular post, he said..

The payment made or resumed was alluded to in a letter CO147/15 from Glover to Kennedy of 17 February 1869 which states that for the beach East of Lagos "with the territory of Lagos, King kosoko paid tributes to the king of Benin until his return to Lagos in 1862 when he ceded his rights to the British Crown and the ambassador of Benin who up till this date had always resided with the king of Lagos returned to Benin called upon me to take their leave informing me that they had been recalled and that no ambassador would in future be accredited to Lagos" On 4 March 1879, CO147/37, Governor Moloney reported to the colonial secretary another visit to Lagos by messengers from the oba of Benin who arrived in February and interviewed King Dosunmu and his chiefs as well as himself

Now also, evidence that Benin had influence over the political class is noted in this letter from Akitoye to the British

Also after Akitoye, Beecroft recognised the authority of the Benin in Lagos when he wrote a letter to the king of Benin that kosoko had declared war on English by opening Fire on them...

I'm chanced, I'm Going to dig deeper into ur lagos lies cheesy...

From the references it can be shown that there are letters written that debunks ur lie that it was not paid or rather irregularly paid after 1830...

I'll be getting those letters or closer references to those letters soon ....Till then enjoy ur little lies cheesy

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Obalufon: 12:35am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Tao at first said that the word eko was formally oko and it was given by the Ijebu...

Note that the oko here means farm

Now she is saying the word eko which means camp in Benin was introduced into the Benin language through Yoruba and Dutch ..

If actually it was introduced, it would have been or sound similar to either(Yoruba or Dutch) language word for camp and this is not the case... Rather
Eko is Benin word for camp
Ibudo is Yoruba word for camp
Legerplaats is Dutch word for camp

This 3 words have completely different pronunciations... This debunks her claim that the word eko was a word borrowed from either Yoruba or Dutch...

Also.. note that if actually the word oko which means farm in Yoruba was the originator of the word Eko, then eko would have actually meant farm in Benin language...
Put differently, if oko means farm and it was borrowed by Benin to form eko, its only logical that the word would have had the same meaning with the Original word .. instead
Eko - camp
Oko(the supposed originator of the word eko) means farm

To further explain this, let's look at some loanwords in English and how similar they sound to the original word

Bibios from Greek and in English is called Bible
Circul from Latin and in English , Circle

This and many more are examples that contradicts the fakes that Tao intend spreading here

Samuk valirex gregyboy Etrusen areafada2

Ever since she discovered my other moniker,she has been hallucinating since... I understand her case... I've had many patients do like that...

Well I'm patiently waiting for the 1757 work that The oba was praised as ikeji orisha.. stop giving bs.. Abi u want make I call hellraiser77 to deal with u again

Eko is awori dialect stupid

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 1:25am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Need to go sleep...
Sleep?? Are you sure you haven’t murdered sleep? cheesy

The First pic belowLagos paid tributes to Benin for 200+ years after the death of ashipa till the ouster of Oba Kosoko
Source: The Lagos consulate, Robert Smith... In his references to that particular post, he said..
The payment made or resumed was alluded to in a letter CO147/15 from Glover to Kennedy of 17 February 1869 which states that for the beach East of Lagos "with the territory of Lagos, King kosoko paid tributes to the king of Benin until his return to Lagos in 1862 when he ceded his rights to the British Crown and the ambassador of Benin who up till this date had always resided with the king of Lagos returned to Benin called upon me to take their leave informing me that they had been recalled and that no ambassador would in future be accredited to Lagos" On 4 March 1879, CO147/37, Governor Moloney reported to the colonial secretary another visit to Lagos by messengers from the oba of Benin who arrived in February and interviewed King Dosunmu and his chiefs as well as himself
Thank you for providing your best evidence which still confirms the very points I made, namely that:

(1) The Yoruba dynasty of Eko simply used your Oba [for its need to assert independence] and then eventually dumped Benin’s ass.

The agreed ”thank you hand outs” to Benin was unilaterally eventually discontinued despite the continued existence of the Eleko dynasty which your Oba backed Ashipa on when Ashipa needed him. cheesy

Yes, it was a clear case of use and dump! cheesy

(2) Your screenshots evidence also shows that your insinuation of a conquest-based payment, or a paternal-based payment can only be found in your hallucinations rather than in those screenshots you attached. grin

Now also, evidence that Benin had influence over the political class is noted in this letter from Akitoye to the British
First of all, I must point out your u-turn from your initial phrase of (”overall influence”) and now to your fresh phrase of simply (“influence”). There is a huge gap. cheesy

You probably noticed that you were losing out fast and badly.

But one may wonder what actually the Benin influence in Lagos island is??

The Lagos account (which remains unchallenged by any earlier source) states what this influence is.

The Lagos account notes that Ashipa (the Yoruba man who is the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) was bound to the Benin monarchy “by ties of gratitude. grin

In other words, as a result of the success of backing Ashipa in asserting a monarchy (independent of Iddo), the Benin government earned Ashipa‘s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty.

Benin kings thus became the patron of the successive Elekos — earning remittances as well as the honor of officially recognizing successive Elekos.

This is the influence — a patron-protege relationship — and it clearly has nothing to do with a non-existent conquest nor a non-existent blood connection to Ashipa.

Also after Akitoye, Beecroft recognised the authority of the Benin in Lagos when he wrote a letter to the king of Benin that kosoko had declared war on English by opening Fire on them.
Again, if there is any such letter, it still doesn’t prove your pleading.

Your pleading which you should be defending is that the (defunct) loyalty to the Benin government was due to (i) some conquest or (ii) some blood connection to Ashipa.

So, far you have provided zero evidence to substantiate any of these positions.

The most that your letters have shown (and which your subsequent letters will show) is the presence of some loyalty to the Benin government by the Lagos island dynasty.

Nothing is said (and will be said) about the basis or root of the loyalty in all your LeTtErS — provided they are not from Egharevba though. Hahaha! grin

However, the earliest available primary evidence on this specific subject states clearly what the actual basis or root of the (defunct) loyalty to the Benin government was.

It states that the Lagos monarchy [the protege] was bound to the Benin monarchy [the patron] “by ties of gratitude”.

I'm chanced, I'm Going to dig deeper into ur lagos lies cheesy...
Wonderful! This is great news! cheesy

From the references it can be shown that there are letters written that debunks ur lie that it was not paid or rather irregularly paid after 1830
The bolded here is another evidence of your chronic hallucination.

Or could it be that you’re simply generalizing that every human being must be a dullard based on your experience with Binis?? LMAO!

I made it clear that your Benin monarchy did receive payments (for its backing), but then stopped receiving nothing eventually while the Lagos dynasty still continues to exist.

My specific words are highlighted here showing how I stated clearly that Benin received “no further dime”.

You are clearly desperate to win any argument. But you still loose all. grin

I'll be getting those letters or closer references to those letters soon
Please do, I’d be needing them for a thread I’m preparing. Get to work! cheesy

....Till then enjoy ur little lies cheesy
You need this self-consolation and self-solve so badly. Don’t you?? cheesy

——————————
IN SUMMATION:
(1) Your first attachment shows three highlights, as follows:

(A) The first highlight containing a statement along the lines that the Lagos dynasty came from an outside influence.

This statement written from your 1975 attachment may actually be interpreted along two equally plausible lines:

(i) That Benin was simply instrumental in the founding of the Yoruba dynasty of Eko. [This interpretation would be in line with the extant Lagos account].

(ii) Or that the first Eleko, Ashipa, is a Benin prince. [This interpretation would be in line with Egharevba’s later-day claims].

Regardless of what is actually meant here, it must be borne in mind that the earliest source for the 2nd interpretation is Chief Egharevba in the 1950s.

In contrast, the earliest primary source for the 1st is the British colonial records of Lagos history collected and first published in the 1800s.

(B) The second highlight showing statements along the following lines:

(i) A statement to the effect that the body of late Elekos used to be taken to Benin for burial after the head has been removed.

As noted in my foregoing comment above, the clause about the head clarifies the maternal connection of Ado (the first authoritative/official Eleko) to Benin.

The body being taken to the mother’s land (i.e. Benin), after the head has been removed for the father’s land (Lagos).

This custom at once resonates with a similar custom between Benin and IFE where the body of late Benin kings is for the mother’s land (Benin), while the head is for the father’s land (IFE ).

This appears to corroborate the Yoruba saying that “Ori ade kii sun ita” — “The crowned head is not entombed abroad”.

(ii) The other clarification-worthy statements under this second highlight is on tribute and official recognition.

This has been abundantly clarified above within this same comment where I stated (and I quote here again) that:

The Lagos account [which you have nothing earlier than and contrary to] notes that Ashipa (the Yoruba man who is the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) was bound to the Benin monarchy “by ties of gratitude. grin

In other words, as a result of the success of backing Ashipa in asserting a monarchy (independent of Iddo), the Benin government earned Ashipa‘s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty.

Benin kings thus became the patron of the successive Elekos — earning remittances as well as the honor of officially recognizing successive Elekos.

(C) The third highlight showing a statement along the lines of a conquest of Lagos by Benin:

First of all, it must be made clear that the header of your first attachment here is simply the title of the book (“The Lagos Consulate 1851 — 1861”). The book itself is a 1979 work.

The dates (1851 — 1861) here should therefore not be erroneously assumed to mean that we are looking at a document from 1851 — 1861. No. grin I suspect that this is your cunning intention here. cheesy

Secondly, the primary source which this statement (about conquest) goes to can not possibly be earlier than the later-day Benin claims of Chief Egharevba.

As I have demonstrated again and again, the earliest primary source which says a thing about how the Binis came to settle-in into Lagos states that:

They Binis settled-in into Lagos peacefully after their requested permission to land had been granted by the natives.

(2) Your second attachment is a primary evidence — a letter of Oba Akitoye from circa 1850.

But this letter simply shows one thing and one thing only — that there exist a strong loyalty to the Benin government by the Lagos dynasty.

The specific form of the loyalty noted in this letter is about the Benin kings’ (now defunct) privilege and honor of officially recognizing a chosen Eleko.

No where does this letter say that Lagos was colonized by Benin kingdom. No where does this letter say that Ashipa (the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) is a Benin. No where does this letter say a thing about the nature, root, or basis of the loyalty to Benin.

The only source which touches on these specific points are the records of the British colonial authorities from I878, 1914, and 1929 — and they consistently state that:

Ashipa the progenitor of the Eko dynasty is a Yoruba man; and the loyalty to Benin was on the basis of gratitude having been backed by a Benin king in the course of his desire to assert an independence monarchy from that of Iddo.

Cheers.

8 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (33) (Reply)

Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest / The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / South South: Nigeria's Pride Through Diversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.