Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,519 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Oni Was A Chief Priest - Culture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oni Was A Chief Priest (24628 Views)

Students Who Killed Our Sacred Python Are In Grave Danger – Owerri Chief Priest / Chinese Man, Mike Zhang Crowned A Chief In Kano, Nigerians React (video) / Man Undergoes Spiritual Cleansing In A River To Become A Chief In Bayelsa.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 12:05am On Jan 04, 2021
@Olu317, I have decided to do a color coding of the different ethno-linguistic groups listed in this manuscript folio by the Timbuktu writer Ahmad Baba in the early 1600s.

This color coding approach will make it easier to reference and compare the Arabic original with the translation prepared by John Huwick and Fatima Harrak for the Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

The actual essay of Ahmad Baba from which this folio is extracted (and from where this translation was prepared) is entitled “Mi‘rāj al-Ṣu‘ūd” (for short).

The University of Alberta weblink below goes to the full translation of this particular essay with page 39 being the actual page in question here.

http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdouga/Hist347/autumn%202012/additional%20readings/ahmad_baba.pdf

Also, the World Digital Library weblink below goes to the full original manuscripts of this particular essay with the folio number 15 being the particular folio in question here.

https://www.wdl.org/en/item/9661/view/1/1/

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, gomojam, reallest, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Ideadoctor, babtoundey, Balogunodua, Tyrant28

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 12:47am On Jan 04, 2021
TAO11:
REPOSTING!

Reference to the ethno-linguistic group of people called Yoruba appears in at least one of the early 1600s essays of the Timbuktu scholar, Ahmad Baba.

The embedded screenshot below shows page 39 of the English translation of Ahmad Baba’s replies on slavery which he entitled “Mi‘rāj al-Su‘ūd”.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12916030_35bd589040034203aa5d7d687c1da64a_jpeg_jpeg5d6dcb71a92c88b75b7bd3b5b6f4593f
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12916031_bce6e5f2e3254df19e5858797b6be638_jpeg_jpega9555b89c3b33922d09a96bffaab55da

This specific translation shown here is by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for the Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco – this is part of the ongoing program aimed at preserving his corpus of old Arabic manuscripts.

The link below shows more pages of this particular translation of his old Arabic essay from the University of Alberta, Canada.

http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/amcdouga/Hist347/autumn%202012/additional%20readings/ahmad_baba.pdf

Moreover, the embedded screenshot below shows the actual folio from where the translators have done their translation — showing the list of the ethno-linguistic groups, with Baba’s Arabic original of the name “Yoruba” particularly highlighted.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12924497_5f8c8fcd48c848d2b88df144cbb2812c_jpeg_jpegf6b00ae4ee5f6daa0c3a908bef599eb7

The link below goes to some more folios of this same manuscript where this particular folio is also present.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/The_Ladder_of_Ascent_in_Obtaining_the_Procurements_of_the_Sudan-_Ahmad_Baba_Answers_a_Moroccan’s_Questions_about_Slavery_WDL9661.pdf

Cc: Ideadoctor, Obalufon, Newton85, Balogunodua, babtoundey, sesan85

Can you see why I said some Yoruba and especially you Tao is not smart. You come up with your nonsense citations and references knowing that most people don't examine them.

I have just gone through your so called year 2000 translation of a supposed 16th century Islamic text and found references to Ade Ajayi and Ajayi Crowder. Why would a supposed simple translation from 16th century Arabic text to English reference a 18th century Ade Ajayi and Ajayi Crowder. Were these figures in existence in the 16th century when these supposed Arabic text where written?

Obviously the Yoruba in the text came from late 18th century inputs of Ajayi Crowder not the original Arabic text the same way modern interpretations of Benin kings in Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, etc are written down today as Oba.

I will like to see the original 16th century Arabic text that states Yoruba. I can get it interpreted by the Arabs around me.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcccxxxxxxxxxccccccccc

The bolded was my request and the original Arabic text was provided, I have now independently examined the original so called 16th century Arabic text and it doesn't contain the word or name Yoruba

My fellow Nairalanders:

Below is how Yoruba and Yod are written in Arabic.

English : Arabic

Yoruba : اليوروبا

Yod : يود

What seems to have been written on the Arabic text is Yod. Not Yoruba as being claimed by the Fraudulent and liar Tao.

Please you guys can check the highlighted part of the Arabic page provided by Tao and compare the Arabic text with اليوروبا which is how Yoruba is written in Arabic, you will discover that what she highlighted can't possibly be Yoruba.

You guys can check this out yourself on Google translation of English to Arabic. Type Yoruba on the English part and see the translation in Arabic.

I have long said all her Arabic, Coptic translations were Frauds this just proves it.

The Fraud and Pinocchio has been busted, Pants on Fire.

I rest my case. Case Closed.

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 12:59am On Jan 04, 2021
Me: Posts Translation of Ahmad Baba’s work showing the word “Yoruba” in the actual body of the work.

Samuk The footnotes shows the name of Ade Ajayi, Micheal Crowder, et al. Haha! I catch you.

Me: Are you intentionally disgracing Benin Kingdom or this is truly your first time encountering the word “footnote” ?? LMAO!

Still-Me: Do you have a Bible (in English)? If you do, then that’s a translation of an old work.

The footnotes in that Bible translation are not there for the purpose of punishing BeniN kInGdOm. ROTFL grin

Samuk (silently): Shit! I’m dumb! angry

Samuk Again: Oya, show me the original Arabic, I will tell the “Arabs around me” to point out “Yoruba” there to me. In other words, I don’t know Arabic.

Samuk Later: I independently examined the Arabic, and I can’t find Yoruba there. Haha!

Me (rolling my eyes): I thought Samuk doesn’t know Arabic, and that “Arabs around ... [him]” will do the job. Hahaha! cheesy

LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, gomojam, reallest, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Ideadoctor, babtoundey, Balogunodua, Tyrant28

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 1:16am On Jan 04, 2021
samuk:

Please you guys can check the highlighted part of the Arabic page provided by Tao and compare the Arabic text with اليوروبا which is how Yoruba is written in Arabic, you will discover that what she highlighted can't possibly be Yoruba.
The Fraud-Rep of Benin Kingdom, aka Samuk.

Unfortunately (for you), the word you posted from google translate is Alyuruba not Yoruba cheesy See embedded below for evidence.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934241_a753900fc3144d61acdcd44ddb3697d8_jpeg_jpegd69eb5075c9c2af8df7fc64aef3f5504

However, Ahmad Baba instead wrote Yoruba which is as shown in the manuscript and the translation by reputed University scholars.

You’ve just been busted again as always. You do not get tired of being disgraced. Do you? grin

—————————
You typed "Yoruba" into Google translate, and Google translate disclaimed to you that the Arabic equivalence within its database is of the word "Alyuruba".

Yet you adamantly ran along (lying to yourself) that Google translate returned an equivalent of the word "Yoruba". If only Google translate could slap humans.

In the embedded screenshot below, the input ["Yoruba"] you fed into Google translate is highlighted in green.

The disclaimer ["Alyuruba"] issued as a warning to you by Google translate is highlighted in red.

And the Arabic equivalence of "Alyuruba" is highlighted in blue.

Samuk-The-Fraud, I think the "Arabs around ... [you]" should do the job. grin

Now crawl back into your hole, and cry yourself to sleep just as you do every night. cheesy

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, gomojam, reallest, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Ideadoctor, babtoundey, Balogunodua, Tyrant28

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 1:27am On Jan 04, 2021
Since, you’ve murdered sleep consider the following exercise:

Just as we have shown a text from the early 1600s depicting the the name of our ethno-linguistic group, ”Yoruba”.

Can we also see a text from the same period (or even late 1600s) which shows the name of your ethno-linguistic group ”Edo”??

Now, na to dey luku-luku.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 1:53am On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:

Just as we have shown a text from the early 1600s depicting the the name of our ethno-linguistic group, Yoruba.

Can we also see a text from the same period (or even late 1600s) which shows the name of your ethno-linguistic group Edo??

I actually proved that the word Yoruba didn't exist in the 16th century. Your so called 16th century Arabic translation has just be proven for the world to see as Fraud.

Only dummies will take your so called Arabic, Coptic translations serious going forward.

I repeat, the word or name, Yoruba didn't exist until 1808.

5 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 2:05am On Jan 04, 2021
samuk:
I actually proved that the word Yoruba didn't exist in the 16th century. Your so called 16th century Arabic translation has just be proven for the world to see as Fraud.

Only dummies will take your so called Arabic, Coptic translations serious going forward.

I repeat, the word or name, Yoruba didn't exist until 1808.
Samuk-The-Fraud, you are generalizing hastily (that every human being is a dullard) based on your interactions with Binis. ROTFL!

No! Unlike Binis, everyone else isn’t a dullard. grin You desperately wish the word “Yoruba” began in 1808. Don’t you? grin But what about the fact that wishes aren’t horses?? LMAO! cheesy

You typed in "Yoruba" into Google translate, and Google translate immediately disclaimed to you that the Arabic equivalence within its database is of the word "Alyuruba".

Yet you adamantly ran along (lying to yourself) that Google translate returned an Arabic equivalence of the word "Yoruba". If only Google translate could slap humans. grin

In the embedded screenshot below, the input ["Yoruba"] which you fed into Google translate is highlighted in green.

The disclaimer ["Alyuruba"] issued as a warning to you by Google translate is highlighted in red.

And the Arabic equivalence of the disclaimer ["Alyuruba"] is highlighted in blue.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934269_69eb78c3f1d04531b88acc6241be1444_jpeg_jpegad22044753f2d5e785cc7c949bb65836

Samuk-The-Fraud, I think the "Arabs around ... [you]" should do the job as you’ve initially consoled yourself. Hahaha!

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 2:09am On Jan 04, 2021
Samuk -The Fraud;

Just as we have shown a text from the early 1600s depicting the name of our ethno-linguistic group, ”Yoruba”.

Can we also see a text from the same period (or even the late 1600s) which shows the name of your ethno-linguistic group ”Edo”??

Now, na to dey luku-luku. cheesy

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by DenreleDave(m): 5:47am On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:
Samuk -The Fraud;

Just as we have shown a text from the early 1600s depicting the the name of our ethno-linguistic group, Yoruba.

Can we also see a text from the same period (or even the late 1600s) which shows the name of your ethno-linguistic group Edo??

Now, na to dey luku-luku. cheesy

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, Denreleve, SaintBeehot, gomojam, reallest, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Ideadoctor, babtoundey, Balogunodua, Tyrant28

U r the best

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 8:35am On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:

Just as we have shown a text from the early 1600s depicting the the name of our ethno-linguistic group, ”Yoruba”.

Can we also see a text from the same period (or even late 1600s) which shows the name of your ethno-linguistic group ”Edo”??

Do you know why TAO1 ?

It is because till the 19th Century the Edo were Classified as Yorubas.

The Oba of Benin is of undisputed Yoruba Origin

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 8:39am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

[s]Do you know why TAO1 ?

It is because till the 19th Century the Bini were Classified as Yorubas[/s].

And they suddenly developed a language distinct from Yoruba language...

Take ur drugs
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 8:42am On Jan 04, 2021
Etinosa1234:

And they suddenly developed a language distinct from Yoruba language...

Take ur drugs

The Oba of Benin is of undisputable Yoruba Origin

With all humility the Oba of Benin is a Yoruba King

Ooni is the one in the Center.

Photo: Yoruba Obas 1937.

From the Yorubas Obas conference 1937 proceedings
Hosted by Sir Bernard Boudillon Governor General of Nigeria
on 31st March and 1st April 1937

Quoting last paragraph of first page:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung , at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.

4 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 8:44am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

[s]The Oba of Benin is of undisputable Yoruba Origin[/s]

Tell that to Erediauwa
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 9:04am On Jan 04, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Tell that to Erediauwa

With all humility the Oba of Benin is a Yoruba King even the British know it ..

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 9:07am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

I guess the Sultan and the emir are Yoruba kings also... Ooo.. the Alaafin is not there... Isn't he a Yoruba king?

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 9:15am On Jan 04, 2021
Etinosa1234:

I guess the Sultan and the emir are Yoruba kings also... Ooo.. the Alaafin is not there... Isn't he a Yoruba king?

Pele, I hope the Shock wasn't too much for you

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 9:22am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

It was too much Bros...Esp as u have reduced the Alaafin to nothingness with ur logic

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 11:30am On Jan 04, 2021
Etinosa1234:

It was too much Bros...Esp as u have reduced the Alaafin to nothingness with ur logic

Guy, why do you always expose the stupidity of their logical nonsense.

It's not just the Alaafin that was reduced to nothingness by his photograph, all other over 1000 Yoruba Obas were reduced to insignificance.

The other one produce an Arabic text that shows the word Yod and claim it to be Yoruba, not knowing we live in computer age and can easily be checked out.
Below is how Yoruba and Yod are written in Arabic.

Yod : يود

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 11:35am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

Do you know why TAO1 ?

It is because till the 19th Century the Edo were Classified as Yorubas.

The Oba of Benin but is of undisputed Yoruba Origin

Can you prove these

You better go and enlighten yourself on my profile

Or swear thunder go fire you, if you dey talk nonsense

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 11:38am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

How did the British know these, can you show me a document the British highlighted it
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2021
Christistruth00:

You are a fool, if you're older than 30 then you have issues
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 12:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
Samuk....is confused right now grin

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 1:28pm On Jan 04, 2021
Balogunodua:
Samuk....is confused right now grin
Even his brother, Etinosa (who is his last hope of deception) will be looking at him like:

Samuk you well so?? To collect disgrace no dey tire you??

Yod ko, Yoghurt ni. cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 1:43pm On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:
Even his brother, Etinosa (who is his last hope of deception) will be looking at him like:

Samuk you well so?? To collect disgrace no dey tire you??

Yod ko, Yoghurt ni. cheesy

I wonder where Yod is in the text you provided cheesy ABI na me no see am well no grin or

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 2:00pm On Jan 04, 2021
Balogunodua:
I wonder where Yod is in the text you provided cheesy ABI na me no see am well no grin or
He’s only testing the waters to see how far he can go with his latest attempt at self-consolation.

To be very apt, he’s only being insecure. It’s written all over his life. The name “Edo” of his people wasn’t known in writing until recently.

Yet you want him to admit the plain fact starring hard at his face showing that “Yoruba” appears in writing since the year 1615. grin

A Bini boy with a naturally huge baggage of inferiority complex for that matter. cheesy We’re clearly asking him for too much. grin

I think he broke what may be called the first rule of academics: “Thou shall not punch beyond your ‘intellectual’ weight”. grin

May be he’d learn to eventually resort to his first self-consolation — which is, to let the “the Arabs around ... [him]” do their job. grin

Especially since (according to him) we must not trust the academic judgement of the University of Alberta, Canada and the Institute of African Studies, Rabat Morocco. cheesy

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 2:03pm On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:
He’s only testing the waters to see how far he can go with his new propaganda.

He broke what may be called the first rule of academics:

Though shall not punch beyond your ‘intellectual’ weight. grin

May be he’d learn to eventually resort to his first consolation of letting the “the Arabs around ... [him]” do their job. grin
I will be waiting to see what he comes up with after he consults the Arabs around him.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2021
Balogunodua:

I will be waiting to see what he comes up with after he consults the Arabs around him.... grin
Haha! STOP!

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Ideadoctor(m): 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
weldone Tao11, weldone balogunodua, you guys really rock,for now, reading comments and learning new truths is my hubby

5 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2021
Ideadoctor:
weldone Tao11, weldone balogunodua, you guys really rock,for now, reading comments and learning new lies is my hubby

I see

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 3:10pm On Jan 04, 2021
TAO12:
Haha! STOP!

I heard there are many Arabs allover Edo state... cheesy it's a secret o..Mafo grin

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2021
gregyboy:

I see
Wailer... grin

5 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
Balogunodua:
I heard their are many Arabs allover Edo state... cheesy it's a secret o..Mafo grin
You guys should stop. This is not fair.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (33) (Reply)

Ado Ibrahim Of Ebiraland Is Dead / Can You Tell A Nigerian By Their Face? / Reps Move To Halt Alleged Plan By Edo State Govt To Split Benin Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.