Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Oni Was A Chief Priest - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oni Was A Chief Priest (23619 Views)

Students Who Killed Our Sacred Python Are In Grave Danger – Owerri Chief Priest / Chinese Man, Mike Zhang Crowned A Chief In Kano, Nigerians React (video) / Man Undergoes Spiritual Cleansing In A River To Become A Chief In Bayelsa.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 3:14am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Tao at first said that the word eko was formally oko and it was given by the Ijebu...

Note that the oko here means farm

Now she is saying the word eko which means camp in Benin was introduced into the Benin language through Yoruba and Dutch ..

If actually it was introduced, it would have been or sound similar to either(Yoruba or Dutch) language word for camp and this is not the case... Rather
Eko is Benin word for camp
Ibudo is Yoruba word for camp
Legerplaats is Dutch word for camp

This 3 words have completely different pronunciations... This debunks her claim that the word eko was a word borrowed from either Yoruba or Dutch...

Also.. note that if actually the word oko which means farm in Yoruba was the originator of the word Eko, then eko would have actually meant farm in Benin language...
Put differently, if oko means farm and it was borrowed by Benin to form eko, its only logical that the word would have had the same meaning with the Original word .. instead
Eko - camp
Oko(the supposed originator of the word eko) means farm

To further explain this, let's look at some loanwords in English and how similar they sound to the original word

Bibios from Greek and in English is called Bible
Circul from Latin and in English , Circle

This and many more are examples that contradicts the fakes that Tao intend spreading here

Samuk valirex gregyboy Etrusen areafada2

Ever since she discovered my other moniker,she has been hallucinating since... I understand her case... I've had many patients do like that...

Well I'm patiently waiting for the 1757 work that The oba was praised as ikeji orisha.. stop giving bs.. Abi u want make I call hellraiser77 to deal with u again

It's amazing how much insight into the human mind someone with healing hands has. You get to see what many do not see or detect in humans. Humans are pretty consistent no matter how unique people claim to be. grin grin

I respect you for being so patient with the raving cross-dresser.

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by AreaFada2: 3:16am On Jan 03, 2021
gregyboy:

Post your evidence and hands off the thread, let her wallow in disdain if she choosed to after then

But if you continue like this
She will just use you to kill her burden, she is a bipolar patient if you ain't aware

Drop solid evidence and move out of thread, no need for long talks

This is 2021, all these long unnecessary talks are not needed
Ofone. Gbam. QED. The attention seeking cross-dresser needs argument and infantile rants like oxygen. cheesy
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 4:35am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Need to go sleep...
Sleep?? Are you sure you haven’t murdered sleep? cheesy

The First pic belowLagos paid tributes to Benin for 200+ years after the death of ashipa till the ouster of Oba Kosoko
Source: The Lagos consulate, Robert Smith... In his references to that particular post, he said..
The payment made or resumed was alluded to in a letter CO147/15 from Glover to Kennedy of 17 February 1869 which states that for the beach East of Lagos "with the territory of Lagos, King kosoko paid tributes to the king of Benin until his return to Lagos in 1862 when he ceded his rights to the British Crown and the ambassador of Benin who up till this date had always resided with the king of Lagos returned to Benin called upon me to take their leave informing me that they had been recalled and that no ambassador would in future be accredited to Lagos" On 4 March 1879, CO147/37, Governor Moloney reported to the colonial secretary another visit to Lagos by messengers from the oba of Benin who arrived in February and interviewed King Dosunmu and his chiefs as well as himself
Thank you for providing your best evidence which still confirms the very points I made, namely that:

(1) The Yoruba dynasty of Eko simply used your Oba [for its need to assert independence] and then eventually dumped Benin’s ass.

The agreed thank you hand outs to Benin was unilaterally discontinued despite the continued existence of the Eleko dynasty which your Oba backed Ashipa on when Ashipa needed him. cheesy

Yes, it was a clear case of use and dump! cheesy

(2) Your screenshots evidence also shows that your insinuation of a conquest-based payment, or a paternal-based payment can only be found in your hallucinations rather than in those screenshots you attached. grin

Now also, evidence that Benin had influence over the political class is noted in this letter from Akitoye to the British
First of all, I must point out your u-turn from your initial phrase of (”overall influence”) and now to your fresh phrase of simply (“influence”). There is a huge gap. cheesy

You probably noticed that you were losing out fast and badly.

But one may wonder what actually the Benin influence in Lagos island is??

The Lagos account (which you can’t possibly challenge with any earlier source) states what this influence is.

The Lagos account notes that Ashipa (the Yoruba man who is the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) was bound to the Benin monarchy “by ties of gratitude. grin

In other words, as a result of the success of backing Ashipa in asserting a monarchy (independent of Iddo), the Benin government earned Ashipa‘s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty.

Benin kings thus became the patron of the successive Elekos — earning remittances as well as the honor of officially recognizing successive Elekos.

This is the influence — a patron-protege relationship — and it clearly has nothing to do with a non-existent conquest nor a non-existent blood connection to Ashipa.

Also after Akitoye, Beecroft recognised the authority of the Benin in Lagos when he wrote a letter to the king of Benin that kosoko had declared war on English by opening Fire on them.
Again, if there is any such letter, it still doesn’t prove your pleading.

Your pleading which you should be defending is that the (defunct) loyalty to the Benin government was due to (i) some conquest or (ii) some blood connection to Ashipa.

So, far you have provided zero evidence to substantiate any of these positions.

The most that your letters have shown (and which your subsequent letters will show) is the presence of some loyalty to the Benin government by the Lagos island dynasty.

Nothing is said (and will be said) about the basis or root of the loyalty in all your LeTtErS — provided they are not from Egharevba though. Hahaha! grin

However, the earliest available primary evidence on this specific subject states clearly what the actual basis or root of the (defunct) loyalty to the Benin government was.

It states that the Lagos monarchy [the protege] was bound to the Benin monarchy [the patron] “by ties of gratitude”.

I'm chanced, I'm Going to dig deeper into ur lagos lies cheesy...
Wonderful! This great news! cheesy

From the references it can be shown that there are letters written that debunks ur lie that it was not paid or rather irregularly paid after 1830
The bolded here is another evidence of your chronic hallucination.

Or could it be that you’re simply generalizing that every human being must be a dullard based on your experience with Binis?? LMAO!

I made it clear that your Benin monarchy did receive payments (for its backing), but then stopped receiving nothing eventually while the Lagos dynasty still continues to exist.

My specific words are highlighted here showing how I stated clearly that Benin received “no further dime”.

You are clearly desperate to win any argument. But you still loose all. grin

I'll be getting those letters or closer references to those letters soon
Please do, I’d be needing them for a thread I’m preparing. Get to work! cheesy

....Till then enjoy ur little lies cheesy
You need this self-consolation and self-solve so badly. Don’t you?? cheesy

——————————
IN SUMMATION:
(1) Your first attachment shows three highlights, as follows:

(A) The first highlight containing a statement along the lines that the Lagos dynasty came from an outside influence.

This statement written from your 1975 attachment may actually be interpreted along two equally plausible lines:

(i) That Benin was simply instrumental in the founding of the Yoruba dynasty of Eko. [This interpretation would be in line with the extant Lagos account].

(ii) Or that the first Eleko, Ashipa, is a Benin prince. [This interpretation would be in line with Egharevba’s later-day claims].

Regardless of what is actually meant here, it must be borne in mind that the earliest source for the 2nd interpretation is Chief Egharevba in the 1950s.

In contrast, the earliest primary source for the 1st is the British colonial records of Lagos history collected and first published in the 1800s.

(B) The second highlight showing statements along the following lines:

(i) A statement to the effect that the body of late Elekos used to be taken to Benin for burial after the head has been removed.

As noted in my foregoing comment above, the clause about the head clarifies the maternal connection of Ado (the first authoritative/official Eleko) to Benin.

The body being taken to the mother’s land (i.e. Benin), after the head has been removed for the father’s land (Lagos).

This custom at once resonates with a similar custom between Benin and IFE where the body of late Benin kings is for the mother’s land (Benin), while the head is for the father’s land (IFE ).

This appears to corroborate the Yoruba saying that “Ori ade kii sun ita” — “The crowned head is not entombed abroad”.

(ii) The other clarification-worthy statements under this second highlight is on tribute and official recognition.

This has been abundantly clarified above within this same comment where I stated (and I quote here again) that:

The Lagos account [which you have nothing earlier than and contrary to] notes that Ashipa (the Yoruba man who is the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) was bound to the Benin monarchy “by ties of gratitude. grin

In other words, as a result of the success of backing Ashipa in asserting a monarchy (independent of Iddo), the Benin government earned Ashipa‘s (and his successors’) unwavering loyalty.

Benin kings thus became the patron of the successive Elekos — earning remittances as well as the honor of officially recognizing successive Elekos.

(C) The third highlight showing a statement along the lines of a conquest of Lagos by Benin:

First of all, it must be made clear that the header of your first attachment here is simply the title of the book (“The Lagos Consulate 1851 — 1861”). The book itself is a 1979 work.

The dates (1851 — 1861) here should therefore not be erroneously assumed to mean that we are looking at a document from 1851 — 1861. No. grin I suspect that this is your cunning intention here. cheesy

Secondly, the primary source which this statement (about conquest) goes to can not possibly be earlier than the later-day Benin claims of Chief Egharevba.

As I have demonstrated again and again, the earliest primary source which says a thing about how the Binis came to settle-in into Lagos states that:

They Binis settled-in into Lagos peacefully after their requested permission to land had been granted by the natives.

(2) Your second attachment is a primary evidence — a letter of Oba Akitoye from circa 1850.

But this letter simply shows one thing and one thing only — that there exist a strong loyalty to the Benin government by the Lagos dynasty.

The specific form of the loyalty noted in this letter is about the Benin kings’ (now defunct) privilege and honor of officially recognizing a chosen Eleko.

No where does this letter say that Lagos was colonized by Benin kingdom. No where does this letter say that Ashipa (the progenitor of the Eko dynasty) is a Benin. No where does this letter say a thing about the nature, root, or basis of the loyalty to Benin.

The only source which touches on these specific points are the records of the British colonial authorities from I878, 1914, and 1929 — and they consistently state that:

Ashipa the progenitor of the Eko dynasty is a Yoruba man; and the loyalty to Benin was on the basis of gratitude having been backed by a Benin king in the course of his desire to assert an independence monarchy from that of Iddo.

Cheers.

Cc: Ideadoctor, Balogunodua, gomojam, babtoundey, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO11(f): 7:27am On Jan 03, 2021
Christistruth00:
But the Onikoyi of Ikoyi whose family Occupy the Eastern Part of Lagos Island is of ethnic Oyo Origin from Ikoyi in Osun State.
The settling of the Ikoyis into Lagos is an entirely different event with an entirely different historical timeline altogether.

The document is clearly talking about "Ijaws". The word used by the author for "Oyo" is a different word entirely.

Since you have the document I will proceed to quote it here retaining the original words used by the same author so you can compare.

The author writes on page 25 as follows:

"The Yéboû* [Ijebu] country is, roughly speaking, located between Dahomé [Dahomey] on the west, Bénin [Benin] on the east, the Gulf of Guinea in the south, and the Èyo* [Oyo] country in the north. These limits can be identified along the shore."

Notice the word used by the author for "Oyo" -- Èyo.

The author writes the following on page 26:

"Koráme [Lagos island] and its mainland were linked in the past by a sandspit between the great lagoon and the sea. The Yéboû people have, however, for a log time seized that sandspit which has also been infiltrated by Ouyó pirates in the east."

Two points to note from this particular quotation are as follows:

(1) The word used by the author for "Oyo" -- i.e. "Eyo" -- is not the same word used by the same author for the pirates, that is; "Ouyo". We are therefore dealing with a different group now.

(2) The erstwhile sandspit which linked Korame and the mainland is the same location seized and infiltrated by the Ijebu and the "Ouyo" respectively.

(3) This erstwhile sandpit which linked Korame and the mainland can not possibly be on the eastern side of Korame since the mainland is to the west of Korame. The area infiltrated by the Ouyôs (that is, the erstwhile sandspit) is thus to the west of Korame and not to the east of Korame.

(4) The mention of "east" in the quotation is not in respect of the area infiltrated by the Ouyós; rather, "east' in the quotation relates to the homeland of the Ouyós. Yes, the Ijaws' homeland is to the east of both Korame and Lagos as a whole.

Finally, the author had noted on page 21 about the Ouyôs' infiltration of another area -- this time the outskirts of Uwheru town. This information as shown below clarifies without any doubt who these Ouyôs are. The author writes:

"These were most often navigations, the most extensive of which reached Gatô [Ughoton] in the east, from where one disembarks to go to the capital of Benin (Ebinî, where he [Osifekunde] lived for for three consecutive months at the age of twelve). To the south-east, the town of Owêr [Uwheru], the outskirts of which are infested by Ouyô pirates (the same ones that Landolphe calls Jos, and that David de Nyendaal had made known under the name of Usa corsairs)."

From all the foregoing explanation, it becomes clear that while "Eyo = Oyo"; "Ouyo ≠ Oyo". Instead, "Ouyo = Ijaw". Q. E. D.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Balogunodua(m): 7:42am On Jan 03, 2021
davidnazee:

You are still battling your inner demons lol...
no worry, the Edo stain/stigma on Lagos and Yoruba can't be erased lol..
Really... shocked no wonder ITALY was polluted... grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 8:33am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:
Tao at first said that the word eko was formally oko and it was given by the Ijebu...

Note that the oko here means farm

Now she is saying the word eko which means camp in Benin was introduced into the Benin language through Yoruba and Dutch ..

If actually it was introduced, it would have been or sound similar to either(Yoruba or Dutch) language word for camp and this is not the case... Rather
Eko is Benin word for camp
Ibudo is Yoruba word for camp
Legerplaats is Dutch word for camp

This 3 words have completely different pronunciations... This debunks her claim that the word eko was a word borrowed from either Yoruba or Dutch...

Also.. note that if actually the word oko which means farm in Yoruba was the originator of the word Eko, then eko would have actually meant farm in Benin language...
Put differently, if oko means farm and it was borrowed by Benin to form eko, its only logical that the word would have had the same meaning with the Original word .. instead
Eko - camp
Oko(the supposed originator of the word eko) means farm

To further explain this, let's look at some loanwords in English and how similar they sound to the original word

Bibios from Greek and in English is called Bible
Circul from Latin and in English , Circle

This and many more are examples that contradicts the fakes that Tao intend spreading here

Samuk valirex gregyboy Etrusen areafada2

Ever since she discovered my other moniker,she has been hallucinating since... I understand her case... I've had many patients do like that...

Well I'm patiently waiting for the 1757 work that The oba was praised as ikeji orisha.. stop giving bs.. Abi u want make I call hellraiser77 to deal with u again

Modified: One zombie just said that Eko is an Awori dialect... Disregard him Pls... He's a mental patient

Eko is the way the Yoruba Ijebu pronounced Ereko after Ereko Market on the Island where King Kosoko's European and Slave Markets were located and where he traded with the Ijebu who sold him slaves from the hinterland

Eko (ereko) means field in Yoruba and Ereko ile is used to describe an Island

Ereko Market is still on Lagos Island today!

There is Eko Ende (Field of Ende) and Eko Ajala ( Ajala's field) Towns in Osun State .

Eko Ende was one of the Locations of the Jalumi War of 1878 against the Ilorins

Lagos Island belongs to the Aromire family till today. Aromire was a son of Olofin an ile Ife Prince who was the first to settle Lagos with his followers. Aromire was a great lover of Water. He is said to have Swam to Lagos Island on first sighting it. .

The Oba of Benin needed a Port to do business with the Portuguese who advised him that Lagos Island was a good location so through an agreement the Awori Aromire family gave him Isale Eko part of the Island just as Sabon Gari is given to outsiders in Kano. The Oba of Lagos is not even the king of Lagos Island he is the King of Isale Eko which was the location of the international Slave Port . The Island belongs to the Aromire Chieftaincy family who are Awori that Migrated from Ile Ife and are the Children of Olofin Ogunfunminire

The People of the Historically important Yoruba town of Otun Ekiti in Ekiti state migrated from Lagos in the 15th Century and share the same ancestry with the Awori of Lagos the revisionists are not aware of this History and are just making up lies as they go along.

Some people have tried to distort Awori History out of Selfishness.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 9:27am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Na true Sha... Na wetin I be wan try tell Samuk. ... Her obsession is about our tribe... Not even the Fulani that is still in control of their town

Make I go do better thing jare... U be correct guy

Guys, you are very correct, I wonder what she gets from all the lies and spins she put on these history. She must really think she can wake up and rewrite history that have already been made and documented.

She picks up a piece of history write her own interpretation to it as it suits her, then get skewed revisionist references to back up her lies. Even when you counter her with a superior evidence, she simply turns around and claim your evidence supports her position.

On a more serious note, what will she do with life if the Benins seize or stop debating her, you guys may actually be saving a life here unknowingly.

Imagine her claiming her version of oral history is more correct than that of Oba of Benin, Awujale of Ijebu, Oba of Lagos, Olugbo, Ooni of Ife, etc. Her delusion is on a higher scale.

It seems Edo/Benin history gives her life purpose. I think gregyboy and AreaFather are very right about her. If one is not careful, you get drawn into the endless circles of disproving her lies.

She sees herself as internet warrior defending the pride and culture of Yoruba with lies. The Irony is her Ilorin is still under Fulani rulers and will probably remain so for eternity. More than half of her Yoruba people have the Sultan of Sokoto as their spiritual head. So much for Yoruba, Ooni and Ife pride.

This is 2021, no time for people trying to use lies to present themselves more than what they really are.
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 9:51am On Jan 03, 2021
samuk:

Guys, you are very correct, I wonder what she gets from all the lies and spins she put on these history. She must really think she can wake up and rewrite history that have already been made and documented.

She picks up a piece of history write her own interpretation to it as it suits her, then get skewed revisionist references to back up her lies.

On a more serious note, what will she do with life if the Benins seize or stop debating her, you guys may actually be saving a life here unknowingly.

Imagine her claiming her version of oral history is more correct than that of Oba of Benin, Awujale of Ijebu, Oba of Lagos, Olugbo, Ooni of Ife, etc. Her delusion is on a higher scale.

It seems Edo/Benin history gives her life purpose. I think gregyboy and AreaFather are very right about her. If one is not careful, you get drawn into the endless circles of disproving her lies.

She sees herself as internet warrior defending the pride and culture of Yoruba with lies. The Irony is her Ilorin is still under Fulani rulers and will probably remain so for eternity. More than half of her Yoruba people have the Sultan of Sokoto as their spiritual head. So much for Yoruba, Ooni and Ife pride.

True sha

She is spending more effort to make the Lagos account more believable by all means.. now she's saying ashipa used and dump the Oba of Benin whereas Lagos paid tributes to the Oba of Benin till when Oba kosoko was removed(as against the lying pic she posts)... More than 200 years after the death of ashipa.. The letter akitoye also depict Benin control over who rules Lagos.. she's trying hard to change the narrative and it's taking a toll on her mental health

When I'm free, I'll write an article about Benin undeniable influence over Lagos... For now, she's free to rigmarole... Let her enjoy her lies for now
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2021
samuk:

She picks up a piece of history write her own interpretation to it as it suits her, then get skewed revisionist references to back up her lies.

The worst punishment you can give her is ignoring her lies, put up your evidence and leave

In a debate like this i would sought out old European document any other documents she bring not as old as mine would be trashed with no comments from me, when she sees you aint replying she will draw back to read more

One of d reasons she avoid me,

You guys are simplying feeding her attention

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 10:08am On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:

True sha

She is spending more effort to make the Lagos account more believable by all means.. now she's saying ashipa used and dump the Oba of Benin whereas Lagos paid tributes to the Oba of Benin till when Oba kosoko was removed(as against the lying pic she posts)... More than 200 years after the death of ashipa.. The letter akitoye also depict Benin control over who rules Lagos.. she's trying hard to change the narrative and it's taking a toll on her mental health

When I'm free, I'll write an article about Benin undeniable influence over Lagos... For now, she's free to rigmarole... Let her enjoy her lies for now

I remember when I first presented the 1603 European account of Lagos under Benin, she first waved it off as lies, she probably went and read more on it and realised she couldn't disproved it as authentic, she is now claiming that the report only applied to the part of Lagos that was allocated to Benin. Lol.

When I provided European account of the Alaafin paying tributes and relying on Benin for military help, she first dismissed it as lies, after reading about it, she came back and said the Alaafin only contracted his defence to Benin like he did with others.

She is unbelievable when it comes to lies and spins. Whatever you present to counter her, she look for a way to spin it to her advantage. Like gregyboy said, it's up to the audience. I don't think she really cares about what her readers think because there will always be those gullible enough to believe her lies.

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 10:17am On Jan 03, 2021
samuk:

I remember when I first presented the 1603 European account of Lagos under Benin, she first waved it off as lies, she probably went and read more on it and realised she couldn't disproved it as authentic, she is now claiming that the report only applied to the part of Lagos that was allocated to Benin. Lol.

When I provided European account of the Alaafin paying tributes and relying on Benin for military help, she first dismissed it as lies, after reading about it, she came back and said the Alaafin only contracted his defence to Benin like he did with others.

She is unbelievable when it comes lies and spins. Whatever you present to counter her, she look for a way to spin it to her advantage. Like gregyboy said, it's up to the audience. I don't think she really cares about what her readers think because there will always be those gullible enough to believe her lies.

Only Her yoruba people, other tribe would see her lies clearly, her fellow yorubas also are not believing it but, they have to act like dey do openly for tribal support

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:19am On Jan 03, 2021
samuk:

She is unbelievable when it comes lies and spins. Whatever you present to counter her, she look for a way to spin it to her advantage. Like gregyboy said, it's up to the audience. I don't think she really cares about what her readers think because there will always be those gullible enough to believe her lies.

Lol.. I'm still waiting for the 1689 citation where the Oba of Benin was called ikeji orisha...

Numerous evidence and historian have accepted the fact that Benin influenced Lagos.. but one anonymous Nairalander is desperate to change narrative..

Ignore her for 2 weeks and she'll stop being active..

Lies don't Last..Even her subordinate won't be able to defend the lies
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Obalufon: 1:33pm On Jan 03, 2021
Good Benin were brought to Lagos through the Portuguese They can't flown over Ilaje and Ijebu to get to Lagos ..Ijebu were controlling the water way then.. The influence they had was through the Portuguese because they were allies Benin get to Lagos after almost 200yrs of trade between the Portuguese and Aworis in Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Obalufon: 1:39pm On Jan 03, 2021
Christistruth00:

Eko is the way the Yoruba Ijebu pronounced Ereko after Ereko Market on the Island where King Kosoko's European and Slave Markets were located and where he traded with the Ijebu who sold him slaves from the hinterland

Eko (ereko) means field in Yoruba and Ereko ile is used to describe an Island

Ereko Market is still on Lagos Island today!

There is Eko Ende (Field at the back ) and Eko Ajala ( Ajala's field) Towns in Osun State .

Eko Ende was one of the Locations of the Jalumi War of 1878 against the Ilorins

Lagos Island belongs to the Aromire family till today. Aromire was a son of Olofin an ile Ife Prince who was the first to settle Lagos with his followers. Aromire was a great lover of Water. He is said to have Swam to Lagos Island on first sighting it. .

The Oba of Benin needed a Port to do business with the Portuguese who advised him that Lagos Island was a good location so through an agreement the Awori Aromire family gave him Isale Eko part of the Island just as Sabon Gari is given to outsiders in Kano. The Oba of Lagos is not even the king of Lagos Island he is the King of Isale Eko which was the location of the international Slave Port . The Island belongs to the Aromire Chieftaincy family who are Awori that Migrated from Ile Ife and are the Children of Olofin Ogunfunminire

The People of the Historically important Yoruba town of Otun Ekiti in Ekiti state migrated from Lagos in the 15th Century and share the same ancestry with the Awori of Lagos the revisionists are not aware of this History and are just making up lies as they go along.

Some people have tried to distort Awori History out of Selfishness.
Good Bro you are right ...Benin were brought to Lagos through the Portuguese They can't flown over Ilaje and Ijebu to get to Lagos ..Ijebu were controlling the water way then.. The influence they had was through the Portuguese because they were allies Benin get to Lagos after almost 200yrs of trade between the Portuguese and Ijebu and Aworis in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etrusen(m): 2:01pm On Jan 03, 2021
gregyboy:

Post your evidence and hands off the thread, let her wallow in disdain if she choosed to after then

But if you continue like this
She will just use you to kill her burden, she is a bipolar patient if you ain't aware

Drop solid evidence and move out of thread, no need for long talks

This is 2021, all these long unnecessary talks are not needed

for me there is no need wasting time with individuals who try to make fame by covering a lie with another lie

the Yoruba's are looking for fame and they think claiming Benin will not be resisted

like you said this is 2021 so no time to waste on their rubbish claim of superiority because over the years Benin have made their stand known that are not Yoruba and her king is 100% Edo blood

funny enough Just imagine someone whose ancestors never conquered or even have the balls to fight war calling himself HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY only that one done show fabrication of history.

ISELOGBE BRO!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 2:07pm On Jan 03, 2021
Etrusen:

for me there is no need wasting time with individuals who try to make fame by covering a lie with another lie

the Yoruba's are looking for fame and they think claiming Benin will not be resisted

like you said this is 2021 so no time to waste on their rubbish claim of superiority because over the years Benin have made their stand known that are not Yoruba and her king is 100% Edo blood

funny enough Just imagine someone whose ancestors never conquered or even have the balls to fight war calling himself HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY only that one done show fabrication of history.

ISELOGBE BRO!!!!

Ogbemavbiediau

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Olu317(m): 3:49pm On Jan 03, 2021
TAO11:
Yes, the Lagos account clearly says that — noting that Ashipa was bound to the Benin king by ties of gratitude.

No where does it say that Ashipa was bound to the Oba of Benin by ties of blood, neither does it say anywhere that he was bound to him by ties of conquest. cheesy

The payments were thus for gratitude to the Oba of Benin for backing him to establish independence from Iddo particularly.

The tribute was never for a non-existent conquest, neither was it due to a non-existent blood connection with Ashipa.

Overall influence? Where? grin This must the 2021 update to the Egharevba hallucinations. grin

Yes, the evidence for this claim of burial comes from Robert Smith.

But guess what, he clarified that the body is taken to Benin after the head has been removed. cheesy

What does this confirm?
It confirms the traditional Lagos claim that Ado’s father is Yoruba, while his mother is Benin.

In other words, the late King’s head is for the father’s land; while the body is for the mother’s land.

This resonates at once with the practice between IFE and Benin kings:

The father’s land (IFE) takes the head, while the mother’s land (Benin) takes the body. cheesy

The Yoruba insists — “Ori ade kii sun ita”. Meaning: “The crowned head is not to be entombed in a foreign land”.

This again proves the fact that the Lagos dynasty is a patrilineal Yoruba dynasty.

Thanks for proving my point. I never said the Ijebu have such particular ties to Lagos.

The influence of the Ijebus in the Lagos monarchy is almost entirely religious. The religious influence include and perhaps not limited to:

Oshugbo” (the Ijebu name for the “Ogboni” group), the “Eyo” masquerade play which must be performed for an incoming Eleko.

NB: Ijebu is not necessarily equivalent to Ijebu-Ode.

cheesy There is no evidence for this since the Lagos account was the earliest account with no earlier account (from the EUrOpEaNs or Benin) contradicting it. grin

Brainwashed??

No, I’d say rather say Ashipa simply used the Oba of Benin (to gain independence from Iddo) and then his descendants dumped your Oba afterwards (by giving him no further dime).

So, it was a case of use and dump — if you must be petty. grin

Cc: LegendHero, macof, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, Saintbehot, reallest, gomojam, Balogunodua, babtoundey, Ideadoctor, ABULARdotCom, TheLionofLasigi, Olu317, Amujale, OgboAto, macof, Christistruth00
I am following it up and find this thread amzing. And I appreciate the manner at which you have handled the Edos on this thread over their false claims . So keep it rolling.

4 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Christistruth00: 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2021
Obalufon:
Good Bro you are right ...Benin were brought to Lagos through the Portuguese They can't flown over Ilaje and Ijebu to get to Lagos ..Ijebu were controlling the water way then.. The influence they had was through the Portuguese because they were allies Benin get to Lagos after almost 200yrs of trade between the Portuguese and Ijebu and Aworis in Lagos

The Bini were notoriously bad boat men , so bad that one of their most famous Obas (Orhogbua) drowned on his way to Lagos when his boat Capsized.

Imagine ! Oba of Benin can not even Swim neither could his men rescue their King, meanwhile Aromire son of Olofin Ogunfunmire swam all the way to Lagos Island the first time he set his eyes on it. Aromire means lover of water.

That was how he was the first to claim the Island till today it is still his descendants inheritance.

If the Benin had not been brought to Lagos by Portugese Ships they may have never set eyes on the place.

Warfare on Water was beyond the Bini unless perhaps it was the Portuguese doing the fighting for them.

The question should be asked if the Benin were notoriously bad boat men how were they supposed to fight war on water inside Canoes which the Awori, Ijebu and Ilaje were experts at doing?

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 7:48pm On Jan 03, 2021
Obalufon:

As of now we have an Oba of Lagos that said his ancestors were Benin. Nothing else matters. Anybody not happy with that can go to his palace and take up the issue with him. He and his chiefs will continue to salute the Oba of Benin at their enuwa and not the Ooni or anyone else.

Even if the Oba of Lagos is not of Benin descent, the fact that him and his chiefs still regard and salute the Oba of Benin and see him as their royal father is good enough for Benin.

3 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by shanga(m): 8:02pm On Jan 03, 2021
samuk:

As of now we have an Oba of Lagos that said his ancestors were Benin. Nothing else matters. Anybody not happy with that can go to his palace and take up the issue with him. Him and his chiefs will continue to salute the Oba of Benin at their enuwa and not the Ooni or anyone else.

Even if the Oba of Lagos is not of Benin descent, the fact that him and his chiefs still regard and salute the Oba of Benin and see him as their royal father is good enough for Benin.

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 8:07pm On Jan 03, 2021
The Benin tormentor is still around oo.

Don’t heave a sigh of relief yet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2021
Olu317:
I am following it up and find this thread amzing. And I appreciate the manner at which you have handled the Edos on this thread over their false claims . So keep it rolling.
No problems! We keep exposing their lies. It drives them insane. grin

Notice how they’re consoling one another and showing love to my latest victims among them. cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 8:19pm On Jan 03, 2021
Who is Ashipa?

Lagos British Records (1878) —> Ashipa is a Yoruba.

Egharevba (1952) —> Ashipa is a Bini prince.

Benin Nairalanders —> Yorubas are rewriting history

Me: (see attached)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Olu317(m): 8:22pm On Jan 03, 2021
TAO12:
No problems! We keep exposing their lies. It drives them insane. grin

Notice how they’re consoling one another and showing love to my latest victims among them. cheesy
Lol. I can see them wailing. So, let them continue.

1 Like

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 8:30pm On Jan 03, 2021
How Did The Binis Come To Live In Lagos?

Lagos British Records (1878) —> They requested permission from the natives, just like others did.

Egharevba (1952) —> They conquered Lagos by warfare.

Benin Nairalanders —> Yorubas are rewriting history

Me: (see attached)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 8:59pm On Jan 03, 2021
Summary For Quick Referencing

(1) “Yoruba” Founded In 1808 ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/25#96567759

(2) No Relationship Between Ife and Benin Prior To The 1800s ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/9#96323798
OR
https://www.nairaland.com/6087424/benin-ife-myth-shouldnt-circulated#93803726

(3) Binis Militarily Invaded, Conquered, Settled in Lagos, and then Installed an Edo Prince as The First King ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6286709/ijebu-vs-jebusite/1#96593783

(4) Binis Own The Word “Oba” ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/15#96513655

(5) Benin Obtained TRIBUTES from OYo ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6291440/benin-remain-center-west-africa/1#96792413

(6) Benin Ruled Certain Eastern-Yoruba Kingdoms ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/15#96519494

Cheers!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by gregyboy(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2021
TAO12:
Summary For Quick Referencing

(1) “Yoruba” Founded In 1808 ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/25#96567759

(2) No Relationship Between Ife and Benin Prior To The 1800s ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/9#96323798
OR
https://www.nairaland.com/6087424/benin-ife-myth-shouldnt-circulated#93803726

(3) Binis Militarily Invaded, Conquered, Settled in Lagos, and then Installed an Edo Prince as The First King ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6286709/ijebu-vs-jebusite/1#96593783

(4) Binis Own The Word “Oba” ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/15#96513655

(5) Benin Obtained TRIBUTES from OYo ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6291440/benin-remain-center-west-africa/1#96792413

(6) Benin Ruled Certain Eastern-Yoruba Kingdoms ??
DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/15#96519494

Cheers!

https://www.nairaland.com/6340975/benin-ife-conspiracy
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Etinosa1234: 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2021
Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2021
Regarding the part of Oba Akiolu’s interview (which the Binis have clung to as a source of hope, at the expense of his disclaimers); the statement here (on a closer and more careful consideration) does not actually say what it has been assumed all along to have said. cheesy

The Oba’s specific statement in question at timestamp 5:00 of the official video (or timestamp 0:12 of the Binis edited video) says and I quote here as follows:

“The first ‘Oba of Lagos is a male descendant of Oba of Benin”.

To examine this statement closely and strictly as you would want us to, this specific statement does not necessarily refer to Ashipa as it has been assumed all along. It could plausibly be in respect of Ado his son.

(1) It is not uncommon that both Ado and Ashipa are often equivocally at different times regarded as the first king — just as it is not uncommon with Oranmiyan and Eweka among the Binis.

At an instant in the traditional narratives, Oranmiyan and Ashipa are each simply regarded as progenitor and not Oba. In the same breath, at other instants in the traditional narratives, each is both progenitor as well as Oba.

(2) Furthermore, the phrase Oba Akiolu used, viz. “male descendant” actually has nothing to do with what we’ve assumed it to mean all along. The phrase is not the same thing as “patrilineal descendant”. grin

“Male descendant” simply recognizes the child to be a descended son from an ancestor — the ancestor being a Benin Oba in this case.

Nothing is said about the son’s mother or father. The descent from the Benin Oba could have been through his own mother or through his own father, in either case of which he is still a “male descendant” of the Benin Oba. cheesy

In the light of this closer examination and scrutiny, it becomes obvious that Oba Akiolu’s reference in his own specific statement here is to Ado the son of both Ashipa (the Yoruba progenitor of the Eleko dynasty) and his Bini queen. grin

Having exposed the foregoing, it now becomes more obvious why Oba Akiolu could have issued a disclaimer (at timestamp 5:45 of the official version of the interview — embedded below with Channels TV logo) declaring that Lagos does not belong to Benin Kingdom. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno

In order to hide this particular disclaimer issued by the Oba, the Binis went through the stress of downloading this original video from Channels TV's YouTube page and editing out the parts containing the disclaimer.

They then proceeded to upload their edited version to a private YouTube account from where they’ve copied the YouTube link and pasted to Nairaland to further promote their business of deception. Lol.

Notice the Channels TV logo on the official and original version from Channels TV YouTube page which I posted above.

Compare that to the Rubik's cube logo on their own edited version (from their private account) as shown below.

The Benin fraud didn’t begin today, and it’s probably not ending anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvaiC_djW8o

————————
For references to the Lagos account, see the following:

(1) Rev. J. B. Wood, Historical Notices of Lagos, West Africa, 1878.

(2) Rev. J. B. Losi, History of Lagos, 1914.

(3) and Sir Alan Burns, History of Nigeria, 1929.

The first screenshot below shows page 43 from Sir Alan Burns’ documentation of the Lagos account.

This comment will pain them die. Make we bet am grin

Cc: Ideadoctor, balogunodua, Babtoundey, gomojam, RuggedSniper, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, macof, Olu317, sesan85, Christistruth00, Newton85

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by Tyrant28: 10:43pm On Jan 03, 2021
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by samuk: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2021
Etinosa1234:

https://www.nairaland.com/6314603/oni-chief-priest/16#97596405

Oba of Lagos: who is your ancestors and royal father?

Answer: Oba of Benin.

Oba of Lagos: to whom do you and your chiefs pay homage and salute at enuwa during the installation of any chief?

Answer: Oba of Benin.

Nearly 500 years since Benin first step into Lagos, Oba of Benin is still regarded as the royal father of all Lagos Obas by the Oba of Lagos himself.

Even the Sultan of Sokoto will be jealous. Even if Lagos stop to recognise the supremacy of the Oba of Benin today, it will take the Sultan whose Fulani conquered Ilorin less that 200 years ago another 300 years to catch up with the Oba of Benin.

As long as successive Oba of Lagos continues to recognise oba of Benin as their royal father, Sultan will continue to be 300 years behind with such respect from Yoruba Ilorin.

The Benin should be very satisfied with this.

Do you guys know that the Benin Palace still plays active role in the installations of Lagos obas.

The current Oba of Lagos revealed this during the second coronation anniversary of the Oba of Benin. He thanked chief engineer Greg Ero and other Benin Palace chiefs who the Oba of Benin sent to train him in his new traditional role.

Anyone interested should checkout the speech on YouTube.

Those familiar with Benin tradition should know the sort of traditional training and rites all Palace chiefs and Inigies have to go through before installation.

2 Likes

Re: Oni Was A Chief Priest by TAO12: 11:40pm On Jan 03, 2021
(1) Oba Akiolu named ALAAFIN of OYO his Royal FATHER! cheesy

So, what does this prove in the logic of the Bini dullard above me ??

————————

(2) Samuk-The-Fraud, no where throughout his speech did he even slightly suggest that delegates were sent to Lagos from Benin to train him, you fraud! grin

Instead, the actual context of his statement says:

He doesn’t pamper or tolerate “area boys”, and that that is based on his received training particularly from:

S. O. U. Igbe (the present Iyase of Benin) and from Parry Osayandeeach of whom are Retired Police Commisioner and Retired Police DIG respectively. grin

For a fuller context, Oba Akiolu himself is a Retired Police AIG. And he never mentioned any Engineer Greg Ero. grin

In the light of all these background, the training he refers to becomes apparent — his disciplinarian public training as a police officer which he still puts to practice even as a King.

In sum, no where throughout his speech did he even slightly suggest that delegates were sent to Lagos from the Benin palace to train him. cheesy

Samuk, did they use lie and swear for you? cheesy grin

Cc: LegendHero, gomojam, Ideadoctor, Balogunodua, babtoundey, RuggedSniper, Tyrant28, DenreleDave, SaintBeehot, reallest, Obalufon, macof, Christistruth00, ABULARdotCOM, TheLionofLasigi

13 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (33) (Reply)

Nigeria's National Anthem In Igbo Language / Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest / The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.